Wednesday, February 26, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

TenPoundHammer

Re: Wednesday, February 26, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer »

AFRET CMS wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:30 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:30 pm ... and stupidly said TikTok for Twitch.
I said the same thing, so I can't call it a stupid response. I don't do social media and am completely unfamiliar with Twitch (notice I resisted the temptation to say NHO Twitch - though I don't think I have).

But a twitch can equal a tic, and social media involves virtual talking, and TikTok has been much in the news lately due its connection with possible Chinese intelligence gathering, so that was the best I could come up with. "Wrong" can, but does not necessarily, equal "stupid."
It is a stupid answer when you're familiar enough with TikTok and Twitch to have actually BEEN on both sites, the latter several dozen times in the past month alone, and STILL say the wrong one.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

seaborgium wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:29 am
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:30 pm All but Howard Carter in 1920s (said Lord Carnavaron instead... sometimes I hate the Hawley-Smoot Rule).
If it's any consolation, if Lord Carnarvon had been correct you still would have been wrong. (This reminds me of how you used to put Hawley and Smoot in the wrong order.)
Or how it took me a stupidly long time to realize that it's "rendition" and not "renEdition"?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:12 am
seaborgium wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:29 am
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:30 pm All but Howard Carter in 1920s (said Lord Carnavaron instead... sometimes I hate the Hawley-Smoot Rule).
If it's any consolation, if Lord Carnarvon had been correct you still would have been wrong. (This reminds me of how you used to put Hawley and Smoot in the wrong order.)
Or how it took me a stupidly long time to realize that it's "rendition" and not "renEdition"?
Just in the past two weeks I corrected my mom on something that would have gotten her a neg in tonight's episode: she said "basmanti rice."
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

seaborgium wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:18 am Just in the past two weeks I corrected my mom on something that would have gotten her a neg in tonight's episode: she said "basmanti rice."
The only reason I knew basmati was because we've had discussions about it before. Every now and then, something does stick in my brain.

My HS biology teacher was so bad with words that I actually resorted to keeping the dictionary on my desk in hopes that he'd get the point (spoilers: he didn't). Exactly how he managed to turn "echinoderm" into "endocherm" I will never know.
John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by John Boy »

Last night I saw something on J! that I've never seen even though I've watched the show since 1967, They finished the first round, went to the usual commercial break to set up the second board, and when they came back, it was for FJ!. No second round at all. I know the producers didn't "forget" the second round, since the scores were completely different for all 3 players. They "finished" the game with about 14 minutes left before the usual end time.

I'm sure this is not a foul-up by the Culver City folks, but somewhere between there and the broadcast in Cleveland, DJ was completely misplaced.

FWIW I found the wording of FJ awkward and not very helpful, and even though I finally made the connection that they were referring to the moons of Jupiter, all I could think of was Jovian, which I knew was wrong.

FWIW-2 If I HAD come up with "satellite" I would have known how to spell it correctly. But then I'm sitting at home with my pen-and-paper score sheet, and Mackenzie is presumably sitting in her counting house, counting out her $200K (and rising?). So there's that. :roll:
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

No clue on FJ, as everything I came up with seemed Greek, not Latin. Cosmos? Galactic? Planet? I thought rotation might be Greek too, but it was Latin. Locked in galactic, knowing it was wrong.

Keep your money, MacKenzie - that's a fine wager on FJ!. I have no problem with anyone who wants to keep their cash, even if they've crossed the $200K mark. That said, I'm not 100% sure I'd rely on categories to assist on wagering - science should be in my wheelhouse, and I blanked. International award trophies sounded a little obscure, but Palme d'Or was an easy solve (but a tough spell) for me.

Conversely, I'm impressed on her bravado on DD2. I went :D :?: :?: :?: :D in that category, but I can't say that I'd be brave enough to bet big on a bottom row clue when the last two clues were TS. Coming from Boston and being part Italian, I was admittedly at an advantage with Sacco and Vanzetti (as well as with Ponzi from a few shows ago).

Same mistake, different show with DD3 betting - we literally saw this yesterday. Alex even pointed out the scores today. I didn't know it, or the following clue, or the FJ! (which would all have to be answered correctly for a second podium win), but I'd be willing to bet the extra $1000 in GEICO money to have a very outside shot at winning. Instead, she not only bet to lock herself out of winning - she bet to lock herself out of second place if she got it wrong and didn't get the next clue right. But with a storm of 16 triple stumpers this game, I can understand being a little frazzeled - I'd be off my game in that situation, too.

NHO "chignon", but "coil of hair at the nape of the neck" made me randomly laugh as I thought of "rat tail". And TIL that "saffron" is Arabic, while "basmati" is Hindi. But I guess I can't be mad about saffron...
billiej

Post by billiej »

talkingaway wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:39 pm But I guess I can't be mad about saffron...
But is saffron mad about you?

Had "planetary" for FJ just to avoid a blank, but knew that wasn't it. Had no idea as to the etymology of "satellite" (and evidently not of "planet" either LOL).

Negged "TikTok" for "Twitch" (the latter of which I've NHO to my knowledge).

Heard "fragrant rice" and almost blurted "jasmine", but quickly switched to the correct response, thinking it sounded more likely to be Hindi.

Got 3/5 for "Run"

All in all, a pretty hit or miss kind of game for me. :?
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

Can I get a ruling on jasmine vs. basmati? Right number of letter, literally means "fragrant" but the relationship to Hindi seems less clear to me.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

heppm01 wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:04 pm Can I get a ruling on jasmine vs. basmati? Right number of letter, literally means "fragrant" but the relationship to Hindi seems less clear to me.
Jasmine (the word) is Persian in origin, so no.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Volante wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:02 pm
heppm01 wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:04 pm Can I get a ruling on jasmine vs. basmati? Right number of letter, literally means "fragrant" but the relationship to Hindi seems less clear to me.
Jasmine (the word) is Persian in origin, so no.
Interesting that there's three seven-letter words - jasmine, basmati, and saffron - that could potentially describe Indian rice. Can't say I'd figure it out in J!-time, but "jasmine" being of Persian origin isn't too hard to guess if you're given 20 or 30 seconds to think about it and a certain Disney movie. While "saffron" being derived from Arabic/Persian is a bit harder to guess, its original meaning being "gold strung" isn't as hard to guess, since "saffron" is a color word.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

talkingaway wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:14 pm Interesting that there's three seven-letter words - jasmine, basmati, and saffron - that could potentially describe Indian rice.
Saffron rice is rice with saffron, not a unique variety of rice. Jasmine and basmati are both varieties of rice. Jasmine rice is more associated with Thai food, of course.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Somehow Mackenzie keeps winning even though there have been some awful train wrecks on the J! boards.
FJ was horrible. Had meteoric just to have something. :x
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Golf wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:47 pm
The famous leader of Ethiopia a TS? Just wow.

Can't do anything but chuckle at Signe's DD3 wager. Not terribly surprising. Hello Herm Edwards.

This was one of those games where I'm sure many Jeopardy hopefuls would give their right arm to be able to participate in.
Well, I would give someone’s right arm, that’s for damn sure

I got as far as the moon on final and stopped there because i would have had a triple lock game anyway

I noticed Mackenzie not really dominating on the buzzer but still she pulls out such a big lead. The challengers did little to take control of the game, but I thought the guy had a shot up to a point

Her story about the Y2K book for women was hilarious!
Last edited by morbeedo on Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

DBear wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:57 pm
FJ was horrible. Had meteoric just to have something. :x
I'm on record for the under at 55% on this clue, but it may dip into the 30's. But wasn't it a fantastic clue? I never ever thought about the term satellite and how it would have been meaningless before Galileo and irrelevant until Sputnik. I wonder if I'd have even picked it if I'd blundered into the choice?
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

57 R (Missed Hit and Run $1200 and $2000.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Plight, Linesmen, Mr. T, Lake Victoria, Lee Child, Steam Shovel, Virginia Woolf, Edgar Lee Masters, Clara Bow, Howard Carter, The Duke of Wellington, The Winter Palace, Jose Marti, Bungalow, Haile Selassie, (Morocco), British Airways
Douglas Squasoni
davey

Post by davey »

John Boy wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:17 pm Last night I saw something on J! that I've never seen even though I've watched the show since 1967, They finished the first round, went to the usual commercial break to set up the second board, and when they came back, it was for FJ!. No second round at all. I know the producers didn't "forget" the second round, since the scores were completely different for all 3 players. They "finished" the game with about 14 minutes left before the usual end time.
So what was on for those 14 minutes?
I'm another who thought the wording of FJ was looking for an adjective, and satellitey never occurred to me... :roll: All I could come up with was astronomic[al], and that seemed silly, so I made it the noun like Greg did.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

The Cleveland affiliate didn't bother to air the Double Jeopardy! Round of this game and I can't find a single instance of anyone complaining about it on Twitter. What sad state has this world come to?
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:47 pm Too bad Opus has gone on his annual Lenten sabbatical as there was plenty of LT available for a fourth podium poll.
For the record, I'm counting "only" $19600 in lach trash for this game--not enough to win from the fourth podium against MacKenzie's pre-FJ $20600. Of course, by DD2 MacKenzie had $12000 to Greg's second place $6600. So she felt free to wager $5000 which would still have left her ahead on a miss. She got it right and vaulted to $17000. She might have wagered more conservatively with her $12000 against a fourth podium with the same score ($12000 being the max lach trash available in the game by that point). In that case a fourth podium win would have been possible. But you'd have to pick up all the trash, or nearly all of it. This bird only managed $9800--or $11400 if we pretend I would have rung in with my guess of Virginia Woolf which turned out to be correct.