Thursday, February 27, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

talkingaway
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, February 27, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by talkingaway »

I didn't consciously eliminate New Orleans because of the 1790 date, but I did limit myself to the East Coast because of the date, so I guess that's sort of the same thing. Going south to north, I couldn't think of any good, big ports in Florida that would have been heavily populated - and, of course, now thinking it over, it was Spanish. Moving north, I came to Savannah, but it didn't seem big enough - even when I visited it as a teenager when I lived in Atlanta, it seemed small, but I guess am a city guy. I quit at Charleston - big, important city, and certainly urban enough.

I'm surprised that a clue that had "-she- is the only -woman-" had an implied BMS for "Curie". It would be like having a clue that said "He wrote a book with James Patterson", and waiting for "Bill" in addition to "Clinton" to differentiate him from Hillary.

"Lego" is a middle row clue, when they show a picture of the giant Lego bridge? Definitely harder than pulling "(covered) Bridges of Madison County", IMO - I had "Meryl Streep movie", and could have pulled the title with a little more time. And Legos may be even a little easier than Seoul, South Korea - I knew it, and pulled the trigger, but am I 100% sure it's the capital? Well, in a top row, I am. Turns out looking at the list of most populous South Korean cities, it's NHOville for me - the only other one I know off the top of my head is PyeongChang.

Great run by MacKenzie - looking forward to seeing her in the ToC next season.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:57 pm I'm sure Allison just whiffed on the significance of the year.
She told me she bolted upright in bed that night realizing that the Louisiana Purchase wasn't until 1803.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

talkingaway wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:20 am I'm surprised that a clue that had "-she- is the only -woman-" had an implied BMS for "Curie". It would be like having a clue that said "He wrote a book with James Patterson", and waiting for "Bill" in addition to "Clinton" to differentiate him from Hillary.
Marie's daughter Irene also won a Nobel prize, in chemistry.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Here's your Top 10 from 1790:

01 New York, NY 33,131
02 Philadelphia, PA 28,522
03 Boston, MA 18,320
04 Charleston, SC 16,359
05 Baltimore, MD 13,503
06 Northern Liberties, PA 9,913
07 Salem, MA 7,921
08 Newport, RI 6,716
09 Providence, RI 6,380
10 Marblehead, MA 5,661
yclept

Post by yclept »

All good things must come to an end. MacKenzie was a fun player to watch and I look forward to her in the TOC. I find it a bit funny that she loses the day she actually spells FJ correctly.

Allison was the biggest star of the game but the final got her, unfortunately,
Mario500
Valued Contributor

Post by Mario500 »

I was reminded of a certain TV program named "Classic Concentration" by some of the clues in the "BAND EMOJIS" category in this installment of "Jeopardy!" (note: I had believed the host of this installment had also hosted installments of the program named "Classic Concentration").
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Mario500 wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:40 am (note: I had believed the host of this installment had also hosted installments of the program named "Classic Concentration").
Did something convince you otherwise? You weren't wrong.
Mario500
Valued Contributor

Post by Mario500 »

seaborgium wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:40 am
Mario500 wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:40 am (note: I had believed the host of this installment had also hosted installments of the program named "Classic Concentration").
Did something convince you otherwise?
No.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

teapot37 wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:22 am
talkingaway wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:20 am I'm surprised that a clue that had "-she- is the only -woman-" had an implied BMS for "Curie". It would be like having a clue that said "He wrote a book with James Patterson", and waiting for "Bill" in addition to "Clinton" to differentiate him from Hillary.
True, but she's generally known as Joliot-Curie, not just Curie.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Fun game to watch last night with three capable contestants. MacKenzie had a nice run, but didn't seem to have the buzzer mojo this game (either that or the two challengers were just faster than previous ones). Funny that this season has now seen three female superchamps, all with 8 wins. FJ gave me fits. I had it down to a choice between Charleston and Savannah, having dismissed Virginia Beach and Newport News, but it was the usual 50/50/90 for me.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Can't access the archive now, but while it wouldn't surprise me if Irene is canon, I'd be surprised if she was in a clue solo, without a nudge referring to her parents. I actually did look up the Curies last night, because I actually fogged on Pierre's name. And I'll be honest, I hadn't heard of Irene, or her husband Frederic, until then.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

talkingaway wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:42 pm
Can't access the archive now, but while it wouldn't surprise me if Irene is canon, I'd be surprised if she was in a clue solo, without a nudge referring to her parents. I actually did look up the Curies last night, because I actually fogged on Pierre's name. And I'll be honest, I hadn't heard of Irene, or her husband Frederic, until then.
Contemporaries for $600 in this game:

Clue: Amundsen reached the South Pole in December 1911, a few days after she received her second Nobel Prize

Thad rings in with just "Who is Curie?" and gets the BMS. He says "Madame Curie" which is not accepted. Cameron rebounds with "Who is Marie Curie?"

I remember this one getting a lot of discussion in the daily thread, and IIRC the consensus was that either just "Curie" or "Madame Curie" should have been enough.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:43 pm I remember this one getting a lot of discussion in the daily thread, and IIRC the consensus was that either just "Curie" or "Madame Curie" should have been enough.
Huh, I would definitely think this is a case where you'd need to specify Marie. I'm surprised most people thought just "Curie" should be enough.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:10 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:43 pm I remember this one getting a lot of discussion in the daily thread, and IIRC the consensus was that either just "Curie" or "Madame Curie" should have been enough.
Huh, I would definitely think this is a case where you'd need to specify Marie. I'm surprised most people thought just "Curie" should be enough.
Maybe because Irene would only have been 14 at that time? Even still, I would have asked for the first name (but I think first names should ALWAYS be required).
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

econgator wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:14 pm
Maybe because Irene would only have been 14 at that time? Even still, I would have asked for the first name (but I think first names should ALWAYS be required).
But that fact, along with the fact that only Marie won two Nobels, is sort of advanced knowledge that shouldn't be assumed to be known. If there was a question asking who was President in 1800 I'm pretty sure "Adams" would get a BMS.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:18 pm But that fact, along with the fact that only Marie won two Nobels, is sort of advanced knowledge that shouldn't be assumed to be known. If there was a question asking who was President in 1800 I'm pretty sure "Adams" would get a BMS.
Just like how they always BMS "Clinton" on every clue about the 42nd President?
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:28 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:18 pm But that fact, along with the fact that only Marie won two Nobels, is sort of advanced knowledge that shouldn't be assumed to be known. If there was a question asking who was President in 1800 I'm pretty sure "Adams" would get a BMS.
Just like how they always BMS "Clinton" on every clue about the 42nd President?
Are you saying "Clinton" gets a BMS or doesn't? If it does that seems like even more proof that Curie alone should get a BMS because there's only been a single President Clinton, but three Curies to win Nobel prizes.
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

Since the word "she" was in the clue, I figured "Curie" would have been enough. Do we refer to Irene as "Curie" or as "Joliot-Curie"? If it's the latter, then just "Curie" should be enough for a clue looking for a female.

I only see "Joliot-Curie" in the archive twice, and none as a response, always part of a clue. I see "Irene Curie" (without Joliot) once.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

1stlvlthinker wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:41 pm Since the word "she" was in the clue, I figured "Curie" would have been enough. Do we refer to Irene as "Curie" or as "Joliot-Curie"?
I'd say the answer is "both" and that's why the BMS is needed. I didn't even realize she went by the hyphenated "Joliot-Curie" until today.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:47 pm
1stlvlthinker wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:41 pm Since the word "she" was in the clue, I figured "Curie" would have been enough. Do we refer to Irene as "Curie" or as "Joliot-Curie"?
I didn't even realize she went by the hyphenated "Joliot-Curie" until today.
As did her husband!