Thursday, February 27, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Re: Thursday, February 27, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by MattKnowles »

davey wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:22 am
Bamaman wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:07 am Here is a really bad one. The DD in World Universities.

http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_ ... ight=Nehru
It's the $1200 clue, not the DD, unless you're saying that we should all be ready to name James McGill... ;)
Spoiler
India has universities named for Indira Gandhi & this man, her father
Spoiler
(Jonathan: Who is Nehru?)
(Alex: Be more specific.)
(Jonathan: I can't.)

Jawaharlal Nehru
Ouch. That's pretty harsh. Only justification I can think of is that the name of the university in the clue includes the first and last name.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

seaborgium wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:38 am That was bad of Alex not to BMS.
So Kit Carson should be the exception to "last name only unless there is more than one person by that name" rule... why? Should "Daniel Boone" require a full name every time? Davy Crockett? Grizzly Adams?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

They were answering who the city was named after. Just saying it was Carson isn’t enough as Kit Carson is a relatively well known person.

As stated above, you can’t make a one size fits all rule and the best answer to your question about first names is “it depends” and you may see it handled differently on different days. When I was looking up Nehru, I found situations where they didn’t BMS on his name.

This is isn’t a court of law where a judge has to apply the rules the same all the time. If that sounds unfair, well it probably is. But it is their game and their rules and their decision is final.
RobW
Boy, this was fun! :)

Post by RobW »

MattKnowles wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:37 am
Spoiler
India has universities named for Indira Gandhi & this man, her father
Spoiler
(Jonathan: Who is Nehru?)
(Alex: Be more specific.)
(Jonathan: I can't.)

Jawaharlal Nehru
Ouch. That's pretty harsh. Only justification I can think of is that the name of the university in the clue includes the first and last name.
I am just impressed that Suzanne apparently got this on the rebound!
formerly known as doitneatly
twitter: @rob_worman
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Bamaman wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:09 pm They were answering who the city was named after. Just saying it was Carson isn’t enough as Kit Carson is a relatively well known person.

As stated above, you can’t make a one size fits all rule and the best answer to your question about first names is “it depends” and you may see it handled differently on different days. When I was looking up Nehru, I found situations where they didn’t BMS on his name.

This is isn’t a court of law where a judge has to apply the rules the same all the time. If that sounds unfair, well it probably is. But it is their game and their rules and their decision is final.
Require first names on all responses and then you don't have to worry about it.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Bamaman wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:09 pm They were answering who the city was named after. Just saying it was Carson isn’t enough as Kit Carson is a relatively well known person.
Then why was just "Carson" fine on another clue that asked effectively the same thing?

Another one that seems to come up all the time is laying the trap for Mary Leakey. "Blah blah blah this FEMALE." "Who is Leakey?" "Which one?" followed by a deer-in-the-headlights look and a triple stumper.

Still not quite as frustrating as "we're going to BMS a totally random word and turn it into a game of 'guess the synonym' that all three contestants end up losing", which to be fair hasn't happened in a while.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:49 pm
Then why was just "Carson" fine on another clue that asked effectively the same thing?
Because Alex didn't say BMS. It's not rocket science. It is, however, based on Alex's whimsy. Sometimes he BMSes a president named Kennedy or a vice president named Breckinridge; sometimes he doesn't BMS "Caesar" for a Roman emperor. But I'm okay with BMSing a for the full name of a slightly less known thing when the clue mentions its connection to a better known thing; I don't want someone to get credit for responding "Who is Amis?" if the clue is "Also an author, he's the son of Kingsley." (I clammed on such a clue in my ToC. I knew Kingsley Amis was a person but I didn't know his son's name, and I wasn't about to get my bluff called. I suspect my opponents were in the same boat.) Not BMSing on "The capital of Nevada is named for him" to me is as unacceptable as not BMSing on "Carson City is named for him."
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

seaborgium wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:16 pm Because Alex didn't say BMS. It's not rocket science. It is, however, based on Alex's whimsy. Sometimes he BMSes a president named Kennedy or a vice president named Breckinridge; sometimes he doesn't BMS "Caesar" for a Roman emperor. But I'm okay with BMSing a for the full name of a slightly less known thing when the clue mentions its connection to a better known thing; I don't want someone to get credit for responding "Who is Amis?" if the clue is "Also an author, he's the son of Kingsley." (I clammed on such a clue in my ToC. I knew Kingsley Amis was a person but I didn't know his son's name, and I wasn't about to get my bluff called. I suspect my opponents were in the same boat.) Not BMSing on "The capital of Nevada is named for him" to me is as unacceptable as not BMSing on "Carson City is named for him."
Fair enough. I still think that "frontiersman = Carson" is sufficiently unambiguous regardless of how it's approached, but I won't disagree that there have been too many clues that have been BMSed when they shouldn't or vice-versa.
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

econgator wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:46 pm

Require first names on all responses and then you don't have to worry about it.
Or, never require a first name and you don't have to worry either. And you don't cut out a range of clues like the one I mentioned above.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I will miss Mackenzie. I don't remember ever seeing Alex grill a contestant about a Final Jeopardy answer in the middle of Final Jeopardy before. I had a feeling it wasn't Norfolk or one of the cities in the Hampton Roads area. Virginia Beach only became a city fairly recently in 1952 and then merged with its county in 1963. So the two cities I was vacillating between were Charleston and Savannah. The main reason I chose Charleston is because
Spoiler
Savannah was a correct answer in yesterday's show.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

floridagator wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:50 am I will miss Mackenzie. I don't remember ever seeing Alex grill a contestant about a Final Jeopardy answer in the middle of Final Jeopardy before. I had a feeling it wasn't Norfolk or one of the cities in the Hampton Roads area. Virginia Beach only became a city fairly recently in 1952 and then merged with its county in 1963. So the two cities I was vacillating between were Charleston and Savannah. The main reason I chose Charleston is because
Spoiler
Savannah was a correct answer in yesterday's show.
One more bump won't hurt. MacKenize has an AMA: https://www.reddit.com/r/Jeopardy/comme ... jones_ama/