Friday, February 28, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Re: Friday, February 28, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by MattKnowles »

soxfan99 wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:55 pm
bkellysky wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:14 pm "Traditionally, this is the first full day of the Paschal Triduum, leading up to Easter

Does the word "full" make any difference?"

I didn't remember the 'answer', so maybe that's what they were getting at.

As a Catholic, I would think a 'full' day would start at Thursday evening's service. Day 3 would start at the Easter Vigil and go through Sunday.
Sorta like Jewish Sabbath beginning at sunset the previous day. If they started on Friday, they would be leaving out one of the holy feasts of the Triduum - Holy Thursday.
That’s one of the worst clues I can ever remember seeing on the show. How can you possibly rule that that the Triduum starts on Friday? Maybe is is the “full” piece, but if so, it’s 100% a trick question, not what they ever ask on the show. I’d definitely argue that if you want to talk full day, it goes with your definition. It’d be like “what’s the first day of the World Series? - Game 2, because game 1 is at night!!! Hahaha, tricked you!!” Semantic tricks shouldn’t surpass the actual knowledge asked in the question.
Pretty sure they were trying to associate Good Friday with Easter to lead to the Friday response without going into that much depth.

I got carpetbagger stuck in my head, knew it was wrong, but couldn't think of anything else. 37R/30,600. It seems like the games are getting easier.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MattKnowles wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:38 pm
Pretty sure they were trying to associate Good Friday with Easter to lead to the Friday response without going into that much depth.
If so, then use a clue that points solely to Friday. That's just poor writing.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:28 pm When Aaron missed the "barb" clue with "bob" I thought he could have tried to convince the judges it was a New England misunderstanding even though his stately loyalties seem to be elsewhere. Or perhaps I've seen that annoying Krasinski, Evans & Dratch ad too many times.
Justice for barb!
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 37,400
47 R/1 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Andy Ruiz, Wednesday, Good Friday (DD), Minuteman, barb, prairie schooner (DD)

Aaron got some nonstandard applause for being the only one to correctly respond in the Sports Upsets category but not recognizing 2019's answer to Buster Douglas, Andy Ruiz. For a good article on Ruiz's upset knockout of Anthony Joshua by S31 champion David Greisman, click here.

I should not have missed H.P. Lovecraft monster = Cthulhu.

Maybe there's a perspective issue since I'm not a Catholic, but I don't see the problem with DD1. They asked specifically for the first full day of the Paschal Triduum. The Triduum begins the evening of Maundy Thursday, so by definition, the first day that is fully within the Triduum is Good Friday.
Sprinkles are for winners.
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:14 pm Maybe there's a perspective issue since I'm not a Catholic, but I don't see the problem with DD1. They asked specifically for the first full day of the Paschal Triduum. The Triduum begins the evening of Maundy Thursday, so by definition, the first day that is fully within the Triduum is Good Friday.
Now that you've explained it, I submit that your explanation makes the point that this is a bad clue. What if the clue read "this is the second day of the Triduum"? Same answer? It is made ambiguous by the proscription of a "full" day.
I NHO Triduum before today, but I think Aaron knew the answer and got screwed because of a trap question. Sort of like - How many months have 28 days?
Spoiler
all of them (ironic I use this on Leap Day Eve :)

I got Copperhead, only because of the previous occurrence Mark cited from last November. I NHO it before then, my 11th grade was just a blur of hormones.

Too bad nobody was close enough to Aaron to help him pocket some cash for his FJ solve. It is embarrassing that Alex has such a man crush on James - I could watch MacKenzie for 33 games, and James for 8 or so. Aaron did some big clue shopping and clamming - no question about James' reservoir of knowledge.

I had no idea that our boardie cthulhu was a mystical beast. I just thought he/she had a vowel deficiency :).
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

twelvefootboy wrote:Too bad nobody was close enough to Aaron to help him pocket some cash for his FJ solve.
If I could have been close enough, I would have whispered to him to wager $2598 instead of $401. Hardly any extra risk involved, and he still keeps third place locked out.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:53 pm
BigDaddyMatty wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:14 pm Maybe there's a perspective issue since I'm not a Catholic, but I don't see the problem with DD1. They asked specifically for the first full day of the Paschal Triduum. The Triduum begins the evening of Maundy Thursday, so by definition, the first day that is fully within the Triduum is Good Friday.
Now that you've explained it, I submit that your explanation makes the point that this is a bad clue. What if the clue read "this is the second day of the Triduum"? Same answer? It is made ambiguous by the proscription of a "full" day.
Huh? I agree that if the clue were written without the word "full," it would be ambiguous. What does that have to do with the actual clue?
Sprinkles are for winners.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Category 13 wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:35 am
twelvefootboy wrote:Too bad nobody was close enough to Aaron to help him pocket some cash for his FJ solve.
If I could have been close enough, I would have whispered to him to wager $2598 instead of $401. Hardly any extra risk involved, and he still keeps third place locked out.
It is extra risky if second place doesn’t know how to wager properly or is bad at math. Which happens much more often than it should. I wouldn’t risk the game just for an extra $2,197.

If the Jeopardy gods had a sense of humor they would have swapped Aaron and Susan’s questions.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Easy FJ question. Makes me think of the song "Copperhead Road". :mrgreen:
Raised Pentecostal, so no opinion on the Paschal question. :|
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

bkellysky wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:41 pm The Easter Tridiuum begins at the Holy Thursday Mass, not on Good Friday.
Perhaps someone thought Friday, Saturday, Sunday. But the 'third' day is the Easter Vigil on the night of Holy Saturday.
Or is this where J! using a Protestant definition I haven't heard of?
bob k
I also said Thursday, and my wife (a life-long Catholic) says she is "100% sure" that it is Thursday. So I don't know what definition they are using.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:54 pm
squarekara wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:43 pm
bkellysky wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:41 pm The Easter Tridiuum begins at the Holy Thursday Mass, not on Good Friday.
Perhaps someone thought Friday, Saturday, Sunday. But the 'third' day is the Easter Vigil on the night of Holy Saturday.
Traditionally, this is the first full day of the Paschal Triduum, leading up to Easter

Does the word "full" make any difference?
HISSSTORY $2,400 (Daily Double): Reptilian nickname used for Union Democrats who opposed Lincoln's efforts to free the slaves during the Civil War
Guess what, writers? Thursday is a full day even if Holy Thursday mass isn't until evening. Horribly written clue, very misleading.

As for Copperheads, I'd be willing to wager I haven't heard or thought about that term for 50+ years, but I heard it in jr. high or high school about the same time I learned the terms Carpetbagger and Scalawag. No earthly idea why it popped into my mind IMMEDIATELY in this FJ for a most surprising instaget. I asked myself the same question my wife always asks me: "How do you remember this stuff?!"

(Or alternatively, "How can you remember all this dumb J! stuff but you can't remember the names of my nieces and nephews?!")

(Answer: "I LIKE Jeopardy! and I don't like your nieces and nephews.") Always gets a laugh, every damned time.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

53 R (Missed Sports Upsets $1000 and We Can Be Heroes $1000.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Saturday, Wednesday, (Good Friday), Minutemen, Cthulhu, Barb, Calamity Jane, (Prairie Schooner)

Contestants only got through TWO clues in Spell it Like the Brits. :evil:

I am probably the only person here that immediately realized that Susan Hill shares her name with a prominent author.
Last edited by LucarioSnooperVixey on Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Douglas Squasoni
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:13 pm
I am probably the only person here that immediately realized that Susan Hill shares her name with a prominent author.
Congratulations?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Ironhorse wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:33 pm This was one of my worst games in recent memory, if not ever.
[reply deleted, I'm an idiot]
Last edited by TenPoundHammer on Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:12 pm
Ironhorse wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:33 pm This was one of my worst games in recent memory, if not ever.
Oh, I can think of a few:

* that UToC game with 25 triple-stumpers (including the entire Oscar Hosts category, where even 18-year-old me managed some Lach Trash!) and a single-player FJ!

* any of the three-way $0 finishes

* any of those Radio City Music Hall celeb games from 2006 where they played literally less than half the board

* Stephanie Hull's -$6,800 flameout

* Jimmy McGuire's first episode, which had all three contestants finish Double Jeopardy! with less money than they started it with... and one of those three had a runaway at $2,000 (even worse, both DDs were converted)

* That game from 2013 where "A Category with a Twist" was left entirely unplayed and "Broadway Lyrics" went without anyone even ringing in
You seem to have overlooked the word "my" in Ironhorse's post.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:14 pm
You seem to have overlooked the word "my" in Ironhorse's post.
Oops. :oops: It's been a really long couple weeks so my brain is working even less than it usually does.

Ironhorse -- look at it this way, at least you've never had a negative Coryat. Mine was -$3,600 on this game. I must have been having a really bad day, because the game doesn't look THAT difficult in hindsight. I've been $0 or below several times since (most recently 7/3/19).
Andromus

Post by Andromus »

No responses on Cthulhu? Oof. That's geekery 101.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

I would hope for a generous ruling on pronunciation for Cthulhu. I said “choo-loo”

Drew a complete blank when spotted that picture of a young Kurt Russell

+1 Copperhead and I can’t believe all the NHO on this one
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

Can't believe my namesake was a stand-and-stare, especially when accompanied by an image. :(
Somewhere in the canyons of my mind was the Civil War copperheads, but it wasn't coming to light in 30 seconds :oops:
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

cthulhu wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:00 pm Somewhere in the canyons of my mind was the Civil War copperheads, but it wasn't coming to light in 30 seconds :oops:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvaEJzoaYZk