TD 441 - Vermont (Final Standings)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

clt013
J! and SJ! Pool Participant

Re: TD 441 - Vermont (Q3-Q4 Revealed)

Post by clt013 »

threearruda wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:36 pm
Oooooooh we absolutely need to have a TD consisting solely of recycled sheep questions. (clt013, do you hear me? I will gladly do it if you do not LOL).
I recycled a bunch of sheep answers from my previous TDs in #389 (July 2018).

I've got plans for a few quizzes (Consider that a warning?! 😃) and would probably be a while before I could get around to doing another sheep-based one so have at it.
threearruda
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: TD 441 - Vermont (Q3-Q4 Revealed)

Post by threearruda »

clt013 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:51 pm
threearruda wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:36 pm
Oooooooh we absolutely need to have a TD consisting solely of recycled sheep questions. (clt013, do you hear me? I will gladly do it if you do not LOL).
I recycled a bunch of sheep answers from my previous TDs in #389 (July 2018).

I've got plans for a few quizzes (Consider that a warning?! 😃) and would probably be a while before I could get around to doing another sheep-based one so have at it.
Ahh I remember now.. I knew you had recycling unused answers as the focus of one quiz but could not remember the sheep one. You folks are putting ideas in my head... not good LOL.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
threearruda

Re: TD 441 - Vermont (Q5-Q6 Revealed)

Post by threearruda »

5.) Montpelier

It’s a sort of well-known fact that Montpelier, our state’s capital, is the only one without a McDonald’s - the closest one is just outside city limits. Given a notable menu item, identify the major restaurant chain where you can (or could have, in some cases) purchase that item.
  • 10 pc. Chicken McNuggets (McDonald’s)
  • Frosty (Wendy’s)
  • Smoky Mountain Barbeque (Chicken) (KFC)
  • Gordita Supreme (Taco Bell)
  • MeatZZa (Domino’s)
  • Italian BMT (Subway)
  • Blizzard (Dairy Queen)
  • All-American Roastburger (Arby’s)
  • Louisiana Rub Chicken (Wingstop)
  • Double-Double (In-N-Out or Tim Horton’s)
  • Beyond Avocado Taco (Del Taco)
Some notes: Tim Horton’s was not my anticipated response but I see no reason to count it wrong as I did not pin the question for solely burgers. I will be scoring Tim Horton's separately from the In-N-Out crowd. MeatZZa as stylized is a Domino’s trademark, as far as I can tell - I think Pizza Hut has a different name for their meat lover's pie. I found no evidence of Popeyes making Louisiana Rub chicken. As always, I am more than happy to listen if anyone has a case for overturning a wrong answer.

Back to the answers and it looks like a lot of you have been eating fresh...

Incorrect - 13
heppm01 (Pizza Hut)
ihavejeoprosy (Pizza Hut)
1stlvlthinker (Popeye’s)

Subway - 8 (SHEEP!)
AFRET CMS
SenseiCAY
MattKnowles
xabe
gwallace2
clt013
Vermonter
Shaquebanisa

In-N-Out Burger - 5
merica
ElendilPickle
ParrotRob
cthulhu
squarekara

Dairy Queen - 4
Gamawire
twelvefootboy
econgator
Steppenwolf

McDonald’s - 2
True North
Ironhorse

Wendy’s - 2
RougeGod
Saturnalia

Tim Horton’s - 2
floridagator
shambolic

Del Taco - SINGLETON!
Flealick

Domino’s - SINGLETON!
Rackme32

Taco Bell - SINGLETON!
Woof

Drop = 0
morbeedo
MarkBarrett
Peachbox

UNUSED
Wingstop
Arby’s
KFC

6.) Covered Bridges and Your Neighbors

The uniqueness of Vermont is espoused in detail in the SNL Neo-Confederate skit from a few years ago. They discuss at length the good things about Vermont, among them your neighbors waving hello from porches, farmer's markets, dogs with bandannas, and covered bridges, all of which are true statements. Vermont is also the sole landlocked state of the six in New England - you get to know your neighbors rather well. There are two sets of five questions; choose one landlocked nation from the following list and identify their neighbor with the largest land area, or answer a question about bridges.
  • Bolivia (Brazil)
  • Lesotho (South Africa)
  • San Marino (Italy)
  • Liechtenstein (Austria)
  • Moldova (Ukraine)
  • The Tappan Zee bridge is officially named after which former New York governor, as of 2017? (Mario Cuomo)
  • Until the mid 2000s, the Cornish-Windsor Bridge was the longest covered bridge in the United States. Windsor is in Vermont. What state is Cornish in? (New Hampshire)
  • This type of bridge features support triangles (truss)
  • The Ponte Vecchio can be found in which nation? (Italy)
  • This 801-foot bridge famously spans the Thames (Tower Bridge)
* Note from the author: 6 turned out to be just… bad all around, as evidenced by the high number of drops and incorrect responses; my apologies on that front. Somehow the San Marino clue slipped through the cracks, giving me two Italy questions (could’ve sworn I’d taken that out). I ended up combining all three of the Italy responses since I had no way of knowing which question you folks were responding to. Fortunately for all of us, it adds probably only one, two max, extra points to your score (or none if you all looked at the same question *shrug*). Again, apologies for poor writing here.

Incorrect - 9
morbeedo (Germany - it’s close, but Liechtenstein doesn’t quite touch Germany)
MarkBarrett (Germany)
Shaquebanisa (Romania - Ukraine is bigger)
heppm01 (London Bridge)

Mario Cuomo - 4 (SHEEP!)
True North
Vermonter
floridagator
econgator

Brazil - 3
RougeGod
AFRET CMS
Ironhorse

Italy - 3
Rackme32
ElendilPickle
shambolic

Ukraine - 3
ihavejeoprosy
Woof
xabe

Tower Bridge - 2
Steppenwolf
Peachbox

South Africa - SINGLETON!
Gamawire

Truss - SINGLETON!
SenseiCAY

Drop = 0
twelvefootboy
Flealick
merica
ParrotRob
1stlvlthinker
MattKnowles
gwallace2
clt013
Saturnalia
cthulhu
squarekara

UNUSED
New Hampshire
Austria

Standings After Question 6
[d] denotes have not used drop yet.

1. Peachbox - 8 (--)
T-2. Flealick - 16 (+10)
T-2. twelvefootboy - 16 (+1)
T-2. Rackme32 [d] - 16 (+1)
5. merica - 19 (+4)
T-6. True North [d] - 20 (+3)
T-6. Steppenwolf [d] - 20 (+3)
T-8. MarkBarrett - 21 (-5)
T-8. econgator [d] - 21 (-2)
T-8. Saturnalia - 21 (+10)

T-11. SenseiCAY [d] - 22 (-5)
T-11. floridagator - 22 (+2)
T-13. shambolic [d] - 23 (+2)
T-13. ParrotRob - 23 (+2)
T-13. RougeGod [d]- 23 (+2)
16. xabe [d] - 24 (-10)
T-17. Shaquebanisa - 25 (-15)
T-17. cthulhu - 25 (+2)
T-17. Woof [d] - 25 (+6)
20. Ironhorse - 26 [d] (+3)

T-21. Vermonter [d] - 28 (-8)
T-21. clt013 - 28 (-2)
T-23. morbeedo - 29 (-4)
T-23. ElendilPickle [d] - 29 (--)
T-23. Gamawire [d] - 29 (+8)
T-26. AFRET CMS [d]- 31 (-7)
T-26. MattKnowles - 31 (+2)
T-26. gwallace2 - 31 (+2)
29. squarekara - 33 (+3)
30. 1stlvlthinker - 34 (-7)
31. ihavejeoprosy [d] - 39 (-3)
32. heppm01 [d] - 44 (-5)

I believe I got everyone that still has a drop available. As for the standings, Peachbox extends her lead after utilizing a drop. We have a new face in the top five as Flealick makes a huge leap into a tie for second place with twelvefootboy and Rackme32, who still has a drop to use. Stay safe out there and we’ll see you folks tomorrow for Simpsons guest stars and noteworthy pranksters!

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
threearruda

Re: TD 441 - Vermont (Q7-Q8 Revealed)

Post by threearruda »

7.) Springfield

Artists of various kinds live all throughout the state. Springfield, VT won a film contest explaining why they should host the American premiere of the Simpsons Movie in 2007, and this was a pretty big deal throughout the region at the time. If I think hard enough I can still see that large statue of Homer grabbing a donut in the theater's window - I do not know if it's still there. Identify one of these famous people who have appeared on The Simpsons.
  • Stone Poneys singer and “Plow King” spokeswoman (Linda Ronstadt)
  • 74-time Jeopardy champion and robot teacher (Ken Jennings)
  • MLB pitching legend and hypnotized chicken (Roger Clemens)
  • “Walk this Way” singers and Flaming Moe’s performers (Aerosmith)
  • “You’ve Got A Friend” singer and Space Shuttle assistant (James Taylor)
  • Luke Skywalker, sci-fi convention star and impromptu Sprint spokesperson (Mark Hamill)
  • Recently deceased comic creator; “Broke, or made it better?” (Stan Lee)
  • Primatologist and Pennsylvania Ape Reserve worker (Jane Goodall)
  • Recently deceased theoretical physicist and cosmologist, “280 IQ” guy and Donut Shaped Universe Believer (Stephen Hawking)
  • “Radical Chic” writer and Vermont poetry festival attendee (Tom Wolfe)
Yes Linda Ronstadt, Homer probably is a boozer.

Incorrect - 12
morbeedo (Carole King - she did sing a version of “You’ve Got a Friend, but did not sing for the space crew)
Ironhorse (Randy Newman)
AFRET CMS (The Bangles - though I have enjoyed many a Bangles song)

Linda Ronstadt - 7 (SHEEP!)
1stlvlthinker
Flealick
Rackme32
Vermonter
floridagator
Gamawire
squarekara

James Taylor - 5
MattKnowles
clt013
econgator
heppm01
Woof

Roger Clemens - 3
merica
ParrotRob
gwallace2

Mark Hamill - 2
Shaquebanisa
xabe

Jane Goodall - 2
MarkBarrett
Peachbox

Ken Jennings - 2
Saturnalia
ElendilPickle

Aerosmith - 2
shambolic
True North

Stephen Hawking - 2
twelvefootboy
Steppenwolf

Stan Lee - SINGLETON!
ihavejeoprosy

Tom Wolfe - SINGLETON!
cthulhu

Drop = 0
RougeGod
SenseiCAY

8.) Champ the Lake Monster

Champ is an urban legend associated with Lake Champlain, just don't tell my boss he's fake. Baseball's single-A short season Vermont Lake Monsters (affiliated with the Oakland Athletics) take their name from this myth. I had the good fortune of seeing a young Addison Russell play for the Lake Monsters shortly after he was drafted in 2012, and the Lake Monsters have a beautiful home in Centennial Field. Answer a question about other famous hoaxes, fakers, pranksters and tall tales.
  • A recent CNN article posited if this famous Loch’s monster was actually an eel (Loch Ness)
  • Manti Te’o, inspired by the death of fake girlfriend Lennay Kekua, keyed an undefeated 2012 regular season for this college’s football team (Notre Dame)
  • In 1912, Charles Dawson claimed he had discovered what he thought to be the missing link between man and ape, eventually leading to the hoax of this “man” (Piltdown Man)
  • Sidd Finch was a french-horn playing flamethrower for this Big Apple baseball team.. until he wasn’t (New York Mets)
  • This man of myth was accompanied by his blue ox, Babe (Paul Bunyan)
  • His “The War of the Worlds” broadcast in 1938 caused mass panic (Orson Welles)
  • Clifford Irving is well known for writing a fake autobiography on this reclusive tycoon (Howard Hughes)
  • A 1998 April Fool’s Day prank by this fast food chain advertised a specially designed Left-Handed Whopper (Burger King)
  • A late-season episode of this sitcom finds D.J. Tanner and her senior class lifting their principal’s car on the school’s roof (Full House)
  • Moltres, Zapdos and Darkrai are among the group of “legendary” characters in this card game and anime; they figure prominently into the universe’s origins and myths (Pokemon)
  • The nationally syndicated Elvis Duran and the Morning Show has become famous for its daily prank call segments with this name (Phone Tap)

It’s funny that Piltdown sounds like a type of feather or animal fur.. And it gets the sheep… hmmmm...

Incorrect Answers - 11
Ironhorse (Nebraska Man)

Piltdown Man - 6 (SHEEP!)
Saturnalia
shambolic
ParrotRob
Peachbox
cthulhu
squarekara

New York Mets - 4
Rackme32
gwallace2
econgator
RougeGod

Paul Bunyan - 4
Flealick
MarkBarrett
Woof
heppm01

Howard Hughes - 4
AFRET CMS
Shaquebanisa
floridagator
twelvefootboy

Burger King - 3
clt013
morbeedo
MattKnowles

Notre Dame - 3
1stlvlthinker
merica
SenseiCAY

Orson Welles - 2
Gamawire
ElendilPickle

Pokemon - 2
xabe
Vermonter

Full House - SINGLETON!
Steppenwolf

Loch Ness Monster - SINGLETON!
True North

Drop = 0
ihavejeoprosy

UNUSED
Phone Tap

Standings After Question 8

1. Peachbox - 16 (--)
2. twelvefootboy - 22 (--)
T-3. True North [d] - 23 (+3)
T-3. Steppenwolf - 23 (+3)
T-5. merica - 25 (--)
T-5. SenseiCAY - 25 (+6)
T-7. Flealick - 27 (-5)
T-7. Rackme32 [d] - 27 (-5)
T-7. RougeGod - 27 (+6)
T-7. MarkBarrett - 27 (+1)

11. xabe [d] - 28 (+5)
12. Saturnalia - 29 (-4)
13. econgator [d] - 30 (-5)
T-14. shambolic [d] - 31 (-1)
T-14. Shaquebanisa - 31 (+3)
T-16. cthulhu - 32 (+1)
T-16. ParrotRob - 32 (-3)
T-18. floridagator - 33 (-7)
T-18. ElendilPickle [d] - 33 (+5)
T-20. Woof [d] - 34 (-3)

21. clt013 - 36 (--)
22. Vermonter [d] - 37 (-1)
T-23. gwallace2 - 38 (+1)
T-23. Gamawire [d] - 38 (--)
25. MattKnowles - 39 (+1)
26. ihavejeoprosy [d] - 40 (+5)
T-27. morbeedo - 44 (-4)
T-27. 1stlvlthinker - 44 (+3)
29. squarekara - 46 (--)
30. AFRET CMS [d] - 47 (-4)
31. Ironhorse - 49 [d] (-11)
32. heppm01 [d] - 53 (--)

Peachbox retains the lead but it’s closer than yesterday - six points back to twelvefootboy and seven back to Steppenwolf and True North. SenseiCAY and RougeGod jump into the top ten for the first time this week as the reveal nears its conclusion. Fall fun and Vermont history are on deck for tomorrow, plus the bonus round that will help decide our champion! See you all then.

Bonus: Enjoy the Linda Ronstadt Plow King commercial...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCl-HXllGI0

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
ParrotRob
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by ParrotRob »

threearruda wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:07 am
Some notes: Tim Horton’s was not my anticipated response but I see no reason to count it wrong as I did not pin the question for solely burgers. I will be scoring Tim Horton's separately from the In-N-Out crowd.
I toyed with the idea of going with Tim Horton's because I love me some Timbits! In the end I shied away from it though because the question clearly said "menu item" and while "double double" is a popular way to order one's coffee at Timmy's, I don't think it's actually a "menu item".
--
Drowning in the pool
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

threearruda wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:34 am
AFRET CMS (The Bangles - though I have enjoyed many a Bangles song)
Dang. Guess when I walk "this way," I gotta stop doing it like an Egyptian.....
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I seem to have gotten myself into a sheep pit from which I can't get out
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
threearruda

Re: TD 441 - Vermont (Final Standings)

Post by threearruda »

9.) Fall Fun

Vermont is well known for its foliage and various fall festivals. Pumpkins, leaves, corn mazes, scarecrows, hay rides, high school soccer and football. Exciting stuff! This is also an excuse for me to say that cold apple cider is awesome.

Name a variety of apple.

A dozen singletons awarded here. My favorite type of apple is the Cortland. :D

Red Delicious - 4 (SHEEP!)
Shaquebanisa
twelvefootboy
1stlvlthinker
Peachbox

Granny Smith - 3
Rackme32
Flealick
RougeGod

Gala - 3
clt013
Steppenwolf
MarkBarrett

Pink Lady - 3
Saturnalia
ParrotRob
cthulhu

Jazz - 2
MattKnowles
Gamawire

Crab - 2
ihavejeoprosy
gwallace2

SINGLETONS
Econgator (Empire)
SenseiCAY (Fuji)
Morbeedo (Jonah Gold)
xabe (Ambrosia)
Heppm01 (Braeburn)
Woof (Cameo)
floridagator (Mutsu)
Squarekara (Ida Red)
True North (Pink Pearl)
Vermonter (Ruby Frost)
ElendilPickle (Gravenstein)
Merica (Yellow Delicious)

Drop = 0
AFRET CMS
Ironhorse
shambolic

10. Vermont history

Vermont history and geography was a focal point of my 3rd and 4th grade social studies classes. Answer a question about the state’s history, culture and famous people.
  • Can you hear this politician “scream”ing in 2004? (Howard Dean)
  • This famous medical test patient survived a large iron rod being driven through his head in a freak railroad construction accident near the town of Cavendish (Phineas Gage)
  • In 1609, this French explorer found a lake soon to be named after him and claimed Vermont as part of New France (Samuel de Champlain)
  • High school teams in Divisions II, III, and IV play their basketball state championship games at the famous Auditorium in this city, the self-proclaimed Granite Center of the World (Barre)
  • Ethan Allen is most closely associated with this group that he led around the time of the American Revolution (Green Mountain Boys )
  • Cohen and Greenfield went into the ice cream business using these first names of theirs (Ben and Jerry)
  • The first check from this federal program was issued to Vermont resident Ida Fuller in 1940 (Social Security)
  • T.J. Sorentine’s three-pointer (from the Parking Lot!) helped the UVM men's basketball team to the program’s first NCAA Tournament win in 2005, defeating this former Big East and current ACC team (Syracuse)
  • After Jason Aldean made a ton of money in 2009 singing about a big green tractor, he better have thanked this 19th century Vermont man, whose green tractors are still popular today (John Deere)
  • Vermont’s state fair is held in this city (Rutland)
Looks like eight of you will be screaming about your responses for this question…

INCORRECT - 13
SenseiCAY (Pitt - Pitt and Louisville were your other options here, sorry about that one)

Howard Dean - 8 (SHEEP!)
1stlvlthinker
ParrotRob
AFRET CMS
Ironhorse
shambolic
clt013
Flealick
ElendilPickle

John Deere - 3
Rackme32
RougeGod
Peachbox

Phineas Gage - 3
MattKnowles
Saturnalia
cthulhu

Ben and Jerry - 2
True North
twelvefootboy

Social Security - 2
MarkBarrett
morbeedo

Syracuse - 2
gwallace2
merica

Green Mountain Boys - 2
floridagator
squarekara

Rutland - SINGLETON!
Shaquebanisa

Champlain - SINGLETON!
ihavejeoprosy

Barre - SINGLETON!
Vermonter

Drop = 0
Steppenwolf
xabe
heppm01
Woof
econgator
Gamawire

No unused - I’m impressed. Nice work everyone!

I received a note in the comments tab of the entry sheet that Joe Diffie did a song called John Deere Green, which I had completely forgotten about until sometime last week (so thank you for that!). I would have included it if I had remembered.

BONUS: Scrap Heap and Bonuses

Here’s a sampler of questions that did not make the cut and bonuses that I had originally scattered throughout the quiz. Answer as many of these extras as you can; -1 per correct response, -9 for sweeping the set. No penalties for incorrect guesses.
  • This author invented snow golf, painting his balls red so he could see them on the snow covered-courses of Vermont (Rudyard Kipling)
  • A UVM alumnus wrote this 1997 short story that was later adapted into a 21st century Best Picture nominated film about Wyoming sheep herders (Brokeback Mountain)
  • I’ve long thought that the first step toward learnding… er.. learning, is admitting that you know nothing. That said, who is my favorite Simpsons character? (Ralph Wiggum)
  • What’s Vermont’s capital city? (Montpelier)
  • Who is my favorite president? (Hint, review the question intros. Don’t overthink it LOL.) (Coolidge)
  • Liechtenstein and what Asian nation are the only two that are double landlocked? (Uzbekistan)
  • This Saturday Evening Post illustrator drew inspiration from his time in Arlington, Vermont (Norman Rockwell)
Special mention to gwallace2 for being the only player to claim the -9 bonus for sweeping the set.

Bonus points:
1stlvlthinker -2 (Montpelier, Coolidge)
AFRET CMS -5 (Brokeback Mtn., Montpelier, Coolidge, Uzbekistan, Rockwell)
clt013 -4 (Brokeback Mtn., Ralph, Coolidge, Rockwell)
cthulhu -4 (Brokeback Mtn., Montpelier, Coolidge, Rockwell)
econgator 0
ElendilPickle -5 (Brokeback Mtn., Montpelier, Coolidge, Uzbekistan, Rockwell)
Flealick -3 (Montpelier, Coolidge, Rockwell)
floridagator -6 (Kipling, Brokeback Mtn., Montpelier, Coolidge, Rockwell, Uzbekistan)
Gamawire -3 (Montpelier, Coolidge, Rockwell)
gwallace2 -9 (All correct, -2 point bonus)
heppm01 -4 (Brokeback Mtn., Ralph, Montpelier, Rockwell)
ihavejeoprosy -6 (Brokeback Mtn., Ralph, Montpelier, Coolidge, Uzbekistan, Rockwell)
Ironhorse -3 (Brokeback Mtn., Montpelier, Rockwell)
MarkBarrett -3 (Montpelier, Coolidge, Rockwell)
MattKnowles -4 (Brokeback Mtn., Montpelier, Coolidge, Rockwell)
merica -3 (Montpelier, Coolidge, Rockwell)
morbeedo -4 (Montpelier, Coolidge, Uzbekistan, Rockwell)
ParrotRob -5 (Brokeback Mtn., Ralph, Montpelier, Coolidge, Rockwell)
Peachbox -3 (Montpelier, Coolidge, Rockwell)
Rackme32 -4 (Kipling, Montpelier, Coolidge, Rockwell)
RougeGod -3 (Ralph, Coolidge, Uzbekistan)
Saturnalia -5 (Brokeback Mtn., Montpelier, Coolidge, Uzbekistan, Rockwell)
SenseiCAY -3 (Brokeback Mtn., Montpelier, Rockwell)
shambolic -4 (Brokeback Mtn., Montpelier, Uzbekistan, Rockwell)
Shaquebanisa -4 (Brokeback Mtn., Montpelier, Uzbekistan, Rockwell)
squarekara -3 (Montpelier, Coolidge, Rockwell)
Steppenwolf -4 (Brokeback Mtn., Montpelier, Coolidge, Rockwell)
True North -6 (Brokeback Mtn., Ralph, Montpelier, Coolidge, Uzbekistan, Rockwell)
twelvefootboy -4 (Brokeback Mtn., Montpelier, Coolidge, Rockwell)
Vermonter -4 (Ralph, Montpelier, Uzbekistan, Rockwell)
Woof -4 (Brokeback Mtn., Montpelier, Coolidge, Rockwell)
xabe -5 (Brokeback Mtn., Ralph, Montpelier, Uzbekistan, Rockwell)

Author’s thoughts:
Here’s the clip of Ralph in action, “learnding”. The educational system at work!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKg2ZzPKl2M

A variation of the Kipling clue appeared on J! once and that’s the type of fact you just don’t forget because of how weird it is. I do not recall ever playing snow golf, but I’ve played snow basketball many times.

Not a lot of BWA candidates this time, but some of my favorite responses (correct and incorrect) included several guesses for Homer, Troy McClure, Principal Skinner, Moe, Norman (#$%@%) Rockwell, Dr. Seuss, Mark “Good Walk Spoiled” Twain and Chester Arthur (so close!).

FINAL STANDINGS

T-31. 1stlvlthinker - 54
T-31. Ironhorse - 54
T-29. AFRET CMS - 50
T-29. heppm01 - 50
28. squarekara - 46
T-26. morbeedo - 43
T-26. clt013 - 43
25. MattKnowles - 40
24. ParrotRob - 38
T-21. ElendilPickle - 37
T-21. Gamawire - 37
T-21. ihavejeoprosy - 37

20. SenseiCAY - 36
T-17. Flealick - 35
T-17. Vermonter - 35
T-17. shambolic - 35
16. cthulhu - 34
15. gwallace2 - 33
13. Shaquebanisa - 32
T-12. econgator - 31
T-12. Woof - 31

T-9. Saturnalia - 30
T-9. floridagator - 30
T-9. RougeGod - 30
T-7. Rackme32 - 29
T-7. MarkBarrett - 29
6. merica - 25
T-4. xabe - 24
T-4. twelvefootboy - 24

On the Podium…

3. Steppenwolf - 22

And our Co-Champs!

T-1. Peachbox - 20
T-1. True North - 20

Congrats to Peachbox, who led for most of the week, and True North, who made a nice charge at the end and picked up a minus six in the bonus to claim a share of the top prize. Kudos as well to Steppenwolf for scoring the bronze medal.

Thank you for your kind messages at the end of the submission forms (particularly Vermonter for making me smile by mentioning his visits to my high school for sporting events, albeit years before I got there). I greatly enjoy playing these games and I’m glad I can return the favor every once in a while. I hope to have another TD ready later this spring so hopefully I will see all of you again soon... Thanks again for playing!

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

ParrotRob wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:07 am
threearruda wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:07 am
Some notes: Tim Horton’s was not my anticipated response but I see no reason to count it wrong as I did not pin the question for solely burgers. I will be scoring Tim Horton's separately from the In-N-Out crowd.
I toyed with the idea of going with Tim Horton's because I love me some Timbits! In the end I shied away from it though because the question clearly said "menu item" and while "double double" is a popular way to order one's coffee at Timmy's, I don't think it's actually a "menu item".
I spent a lot of time deliberating on whether or not to accept it. I initially had it in the incorrect pile, but ultimately concluded a few things. If you walk into a Tim Horton's and ask for a double double, everyone will know what you're talking about. There have been a few double double flavored products in the past (including a Timbit!). I also did not specifically write "double-double (burger)" like I did with other clues in that stack to better pin it down, as I mentioned during that question's reveal. That makes me a little more willing to accept alternate responses.

Who knows if that's the right call, but the stakes are low and it had no impact on deciding the winner, so no harm done either way.

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Thanks for hosting, threearruda! I pretty much gave the Howard Dean yell with each reveal, but it was fun nonetheless. And thanks for the timely reminder-- if Phineas Gage can persevere, we all can get through the covid-19 scare. Have a great week, everybody!
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Thanks for the TD and to everyone who played.

Winners list updated:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5380
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Thank you for hosting, and pay no attention to my negs behind the curtain.

I'm putting a new TD together this weekend.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Thanks for the TD, and as I commented earlier, I really enjoyed the little slices of Vermont you included and some of the cliches I hadn't seen before.
This was well crafted and had lifelines for those of us ignorant in pop music or movies. That kept me in play and I even was T-2 toward the end. It was scary being near the podium and I will get back to my cellar dwelling soon. Florida Gator, thanks for covering for me in the herd, but you can have this podium turf back!
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

squarekara wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:38 am Thanks for hosting, threearruda! I pretty much gave the Howard Dean yell with each reveal, but it was fun nonetheless. And thanks for the timely reminder-- if Phineas Gage can persevere, we all can get through the covid-19 scare. Have a great week, everybody!
Thanks for playing! Great points all around - there's always someone out there who has it worse than you. :lol:
floridagator wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:37 pm Thanks for the TD and to everyone who played.

Winners list updated:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5380
Thank you for playing, and thank you for your work on this list... I find it a valuable resource.
Ironhorse wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:56 pm Thank you for hosting, and pay no attention to my negs behind the curtain.

I'm putting a new TD together this weekend.
I'm excited to see your quiz. The good thing about COVID-19, social distancing and closing schools/businesses will be the increase in TD games we get :lol:
twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:38 pm Thanks for the TD, and as I commented earlier, I really enjoyed the little slices of Vermont you included and some of the cliches I hadn't seen before.
This was well crafted and had lifelines for those of us ignorant in pop music or movies. That kept me in play and I even was T-2 toward the end. It was scary being near the podium and I will get back to my cellar dwelling soon. Florida Gator, thanks for covering for me in the herd, but you can have this podium turf back!
It's a shame it's being largely passed by in a world of big city corporate jobs and technological advancement, but I'm glad you enjoyed reading more about the wonderful Green Mountain State.

I'm sure I have mentioned this before, but I'm well aware that folks who have played on J! participate in these games, as do folks like you and I who have not. Thus, I do not intend to make it a cakewalk but I do not wish to punish you for having lesser knowledge on certain topics - we all have our blind spots and I know my blind spots differ greatly compared to many other folks on the boards. I'm happy to see I was successful, and I'm happy that you finished as well as you did!

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

As I said in my submission, this was a very well-conceived and enjoyable quiz. I consciously employed a strategy here of choosing what I judged to be the third most obvious answer. I chose to stop the question where I was least certain if which answer to choose. In the end, it got me one Singleton, a couple of sheep and quite a few near-sheep. Back to the drawing board, Woof. And never change, TD! Thanks again for hosting, too.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

threearruda wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:30 am

I'm sure I have mentioned this before, but I'm well aware that folks who have played on J! participate in these games, as do folks like you and I who have not. Thus, I do not intend to make it a cakewalk but I do not wish to punish you for having lesser knowledge on certain topics - we all have our blind spots and I know my blind spots differ greatly compared to many other folks on the boards. I'm happy to see I was successful, and I'm happy that you finished as well as you did!
I think you've done an excellent job navigating that balance.
ihavejeoprosy

Post by ihavejeoprosy »

Fun quiz, but a very bumpy ride from me.
Please follow me on Twitter @Cinjeopardy
Total game show losings: $25 K