Monday, March 2, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, March 2, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, March 2, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
FROM THE DESK OF THE POPE

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
A 1919 letter quotes Jesus, "Go into the whole world and preach the gospel" & notes the vigilance, energy & hardships of these workers

Aaron Goetsch: 6200-6200=0
Bruce Lou: 18800-5555=13245 (New Champ)
Mandy DeLucia: 6200-0=6200

Correct response:
Spoiler
missionaries (Aaron – Disciples) (Bruce – soldiers) (Mandy – thank you)

Daily Doubles
Bruce: 2400-2400
Bruce: 9600-3000
Bruce: 7800+5000

Coryats
Aaron: 6200
Bruce: 20400
Mandy: 6200

Combined: 32,800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Aaron: 4200
Bruce: 2400
Mandy: 2600
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

For those who did not know what Aaron was talking about during chat time: https://youtu.be/Dd7FixvoKBw?t=104

Still funny every time. If if comes up anywhere Keegan-Michael Key has been hosting Brain Games on Nat Geo.

It took me more than once since 1984 to avoid the Shandy mistake so I completely sympathize with Bruce getting burnt and understand the no rebound.

Bruce was 1/4 on big clues but the +5000 on the one get sent him on his way to a lock.

FJ! clues asking to come up with some word like space one from last week often do not go well for me. Fishermen was my best guess. If I had interpreted where the clue was going better I probably still would have missed and I suspect evangelist might have been my response.

Those who want winners with runaway cushions to bet big got their wish today. Easy come easy go for Bruce returning with 13245 instead of 18800. I wonder if Bruce bet 5555 because he could and only saw the situation as numbers or if he somehow felt confident about the category. In his shoes I know my bet would have been either 200 or 300.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Considered missionaries, but assumed he was talking about a more specific group, and went with Red Cross.

I don't like this FJ clue.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:22 am Considered missionaries, but assumed he was talking about a more specific group, and went with Red Cross.

I didn't even get to missionaries. Was trying to figure out the significance of 1919, WWI was the obvious path.... also went with Red Cross.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:19 am For those who did not know what Aaron was talking about during chat time: https://youtu.be/Dd7FixvoKBw?t=104
There's a basketball player named Aron Baynes who played for the Celtics for a couple of seasons. His name annoyed me, because shouting at the TV "You done messed up ay-ron" doesn't sound as funny.
macrae1234
Valued Contributor

Post by macrae1234 »

Aron baynes is Australian which may explain things and now plays for Phoenix
leszekp
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by leszekp »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:22 am Considered missionaries, but assumed he was talking about a more specific group, and went with Red Cross.

Agreed - I got it, but didn't like it.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

I said priests despite having figured it would then make this FJ too easy.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Coryat $31,200 (41 R, 2 W)
DD 2/3
FJ :(

For the second game in a row, I had a rough time with the bottom rows of both boards. Clammed on Uganda and cuffs = $2k in missed opportunity. Negged with andante instead of allegro, no excuse for that as I have an Anki deck of Italian musical terms. I have trouble with andante because ándate is Spanish for hurry up....

Was pretty clueless on X-Men. The writers love Marvel comics, I need to figure out how to bat better than .000 on them.

Chalk me up for the "not a fan of this FJ clue" crowd. 1919 was screaming WWI at me so loudly that I couldn't think of something as simple as missionaries.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

That was almost Ryan Fenster-esque for Bruce, yet it ended in a lock anyway. We'll see if he's got a few games in him.

Workers + spreading the gospel around the world? FJ was such an instaget that I spent 20 seconds wondering if there was a trick I was missing, like maybe 1919 pointing to war or the influenza outbreak or something, but in that case there would've been another hint, and the Bible qoute would've been pointless. Interesting reactions in the thread so far; I wonder how this will end up polling.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

mas3cf wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:07 pm Coryat $31,200 (41 R, 2 W)
DD 2/3

For the second game in a row, I had a rough time with the bottom rows of both boards. Clammed on Uganda and cuffs = $2k in missed opportunity. Negged with andante instead of allegro, no excuse for that as I have an Anki deck of Italian musical terms. I have trouble with andante because ándate is Spanish for hurry up....

Was pretty clueless on X-Men. The writers love Marvel comics, I need to figure out how to bat better than .000 on them.

Chalk me up for the "not a fan of this FJ clue" crowd. 1919 was screaming WWI at me so loudly that I couldn't think of something as simple as missionaries.

1) Perchance you mean andaLe (and sorry if I don't know how to insert diacritical marks)? And not andaTe? Spelled with the "L" it would be harder to get it confused with "andante," si?

2) I'm surprised to see so many people struggling with this FJ. As I read the comments I can see how the clue could take you in other directions besides the one they were looking for, but I immediately came up with "missionaries," having known some of them over the years and have heard of many of their ordeals.

3) A 7-letter music term meaning to play lively and fast??? Apparently they wanted allegro but I came up with scherzo, which is (in my musical experience) even MORE lively and much faster. Judges?

4) They certainly didn't seem to know much about the X-Men, which made me feel better since I certainly don't either.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I was worried not being Catholic would hurt me on FJ but it didn’t matter. I had evangelist stuck in my head but knew that was wrong and was able to figure it out in time.

I was hoping X Men would be about people whose names ended or began with an X but alas it wasn’t.

Lou Grant a TS? I am old.

I was a bit surprised Anita Hill was gotten correct, didn’t know if her name would be known by people not alive during the Thomas hearings.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Judges: Diana instead of Luna for the Roman goddess of the moon? From what I've gleaned, Luna is the analog of Selene, while Diana is the analog of Artemis. Diana and Artemis have the moon, the hunt, and chastity as their domain. The main problem I'd have with my incorrect answer is that the Greco/Roman analog was off, but the clue didn't directly ask for the analog.

Bear market. Huh. If only they'd aired this episode 4-5 days ago.

Oscar the grouch had me grinning, because i literally just watched the episode on Netflix that had Alex visiting him and a bunch of other Sesame Street characters. (They got applause at the end of the category, as they should.)

Final had me stumped, and I knew I'd facepalm. Priests didn't seem specific enough. Knowing J! loves their teachers, I just went with "teachers", but did the Watson thing of typing about 10 question marks after it. A good teacher definitely does have vigilance and energy, and they do have hardships - although that may be more an American thing, and more of a recent thing, too.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

John Boy wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:30 pm
mas3cf wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:07 pm Coryat $31,200 (41 R, 2 W)
DD 2/3

1) Perchance you mean andaLe (and sorry if I don't know how to insert diacritical marks)? And not andaTe? Spelled with the "L" it would be harder to get it confused with "andante," si?

2) I'm surprised to see so many people struggling with this FJ. As I read the comments I can see how the clue could take you in other directions besides the one they were looking for, but I immediately came up with "missionaries," having known some of them over the years and have heard of many of their ordeals.

3) A 7-letter music term meaning to play lively and fast??? Apparently they wanted allegro but I came up with scherzo, which is (in my musical experience) even MORE lively and much faster. Judges?

4) They certainly didn't seem to know much about the X-Men, which made me feel better since I certainly don't either.
ándale is the formal imperative (Usted) but ándate is the familiar imperative (tú)
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

talkingaway wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:47 pm
Oscar the grouch had me grinning, because i literally just watched the episode on Netflix that had Alex visiting him and a bunch of other Sesame Street characters. (They got applause at the end of the category, as they should.)
Oscar the grouch had me crying, because he stopped me from winning $50K on WWTBAM

FJ - "What kind of workers? 1919? Wait, from the desk of the pope? Which pope? Go out into the world and preach the gospel. Oh. All that for missionaries?" Done.

New champ was all over the place today but dominated on the buzzer. Congrats! I do hope he settles down tomorrow. And please stop saying please! Thank you.

I saw the Tristram neg coming from a mile away.

Notions!! A triple stumper. I thought, hmm, maybe the woman will get it. But not today.

One of those games where I had to turn on closed captions because the writers are pulling out stuff I've never heard of!

DD1 - Niagra of nonsense is the only word that really fits
Last edited by morbeedo on Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Ran Stay Protected, Rubric Cues, and Toolshed.

Anita Hill was my only miss in 20th Century. The name doesn't ring any bells for me, and looking her up does not make the bell any louder.

For some reason I couldn't identify that thing in Map for $200 as a duffel bag.

X-Men was not a good category for me either. Superheroes are boring.

"Atoll" is one of those words I've heard all the time but never grasped the definition of.

Maybe it's just my church job, but I thought this was an easy instaget and was stunned at the triple miss.

Lach Trash: Uncle Tom's Cabin, Oceania, notions, monkey wrench
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Another oldster shocked at Lou Grant being a TS. :shock:
WAGed FJ, tried to think of a more specific group. :mrgreen:
Two Californians for challengers? :?
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Had this been a top row clue, I'd like to think I may have gotten it, but I zeroed in on "1919" as an intended TOM and matched Bruce's "soldiers" answer.

Curious to see how he does tomorrow. He clearly has the buzzer down, and was not afraid to stay with his strategy even after his first two DD misses.