Monday, March 2, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

squarekara
J! Reactionary

Re: Monday, March 2, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by squarekara »

A Wray wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:41 am
John Boy wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:30 pm 3) A 7-letter music term meaning to play lively and fast??? Apparently they wanted allegro but I came up with scherzo, which is (in my musical experience) even MORE lively and much faster. Judges?
That was a bad clue. Here's the exact wording:
This 7-letter word on a musical score like "Flight Of The Bumblebee" means to play lively & fast
The clue sort of seems to pin the response to the marking of "Flight of the Bumblebee" -- except it doesn't, because that piece is marked "vivace," which is not 7 letters. So we're looking for any 7-letter word on a score that "means to play lively & fast." Your response of "scherzo" works, as does mine of "animato." I'm sure there are other possible responses.
It's my understanding that "scherzo" is a noun indicating the music itself. The corresponding musical direction would be "scherzando." Yeah, I don't care for the clue either.
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

Rackme32 wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:40 am
Volante wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:08 pm Welp, I don't get the hatred for the clue, but I also got it without any trouble. "People who go out and spread the word. Like those characters from Book of Mormon. What are they again...missionaries!"
So, you wouldn't have any problem with this clue and answer?

"The people of Boston are still excited about the October 2004 performance of these people."

The response they are looking for (and the only one they'll take) is "Who are...Athletes?"
This is a false equivalence. Of course this clue would have to accept "baseball players", "bosox", and etc.. But, if "Jesus said the people of Boston.... X", then the answer is only "X".

I didn't realize the term "missionaries" was in the Bible, and this may be a point of contention amongst the Bible scholars.

And, I think the Bostonians have moved on :). Now, if you want to say the people of Chicago are still living in 1985 because of this group...:lol:
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

mas3cf wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:53 am
yclept wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:41 am Bruce played a strong overall game. He likely misunderstood the first DD clue, which is unfortunate but didn’t cost him a runaway.

I don’t care what players wager in runaway games. MacKenzie just took her money and ran to the next game. Bruce tried to add to his total. I would probably be more like MacKenzie while wishing I had the guts to be more like Bruce.
For me, it would depend on the category...

AFRICAN CAPITALS = time to max out my payday
STAGE TO SCREEN = wager zero, survive and advance
I always find there’s very little correlation between what I think I know vs what I actually do know when it comes o FJ! categories (and even categories I general). I’ll see a category I’m traditionally weak in (ie geography), and BOOM, easy clue. Conversely, I’ll see a category that I should be good in (say, Broadway musicals), and whiff.

The one exception, of course, being OSCARS. In a regular round, movie categories are good for me - but in FJ, I’m toast. And I know this well in advance.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Rackme32 wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:40 am
Volante wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:08 pm Welp, I don't get the hatred for the clue, but I also got it without any trouble. "People who go out and spread the word. Like those characters from Book of Mormon. What are they again...missionaries!"
So, you wouldn't have any problem with this clue and answer?

"The people of Boston are still excited about the October 2004 performance of these people."

The response they are looking for (and the only one they'll take) is "Who are...Athletes?"
Your hypothetical clue isn't a direct quote from someone nor is there a TOM for the type of people...so, yes, I have problems with that clue but they're independent of the FJ.

If the quote comes from Jesus, it's not going to be referring to any specific Christian order either; that should rule out any proper noun. I just can't grok where the overthinking is coming from.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

mas3cf wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:57 pm
John Boy wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:30 pm
mas3cf wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:07 pm
Negged with andante instead of allegro, no excuse for that as I have an Anki deck of Italian musical terms. I have trouble with andante because ándate is Spanish for hurry up....

1) Perchance you mean andaLe (and sorry if I don't know how to insert diacritical marks)? And not andaTe? Spelled with the "L" it would be harder to get it confused with "andante," si?
ándale is the formal imperative (Usted) but ándate is the familiar imperative (tú)
OK, then. I learned something today. (But I've heard "andale" a thousand times and never once in my life heard the word you cite.)
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

John Boy wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:12 pm
Negged with andante instead of allegro, no excuse for that as I have an Anki deck of Italian musical terms. I have trouble with andante because ándate is Spanish for hurry up....

1) Perchance you mean andaLe (and sorry if I don't know how to insert diacritical marks)? And not andaTe? Spelled with the "L" it would be harder to get it confused with "andante," si?
ándale is the formal imperative (Usted) but ándate is the familiar imperative (tú)
OK, then. I learned something today. (But I've heard "andale" a thousand times and never once in my life heard the word you cite.)
I think by "familiar" they meant "informal", and not "commonly known". I had two years of college Spanish under my belt, and never made the connection between anda-le as being from andar, but it makes sense now.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

It's not a word that would be in a Spanish dictionary; certain forms of Spanish verbs (infinitives, positive imperatives, and present participles) can have pronouns attached to them as direct and indirect objects, and that's just part of their grammar rather than a vocabulary thing.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:25 pm

It's not a word that would be in a Spanish dictionary; certain forms of Spanish verbs (infinitives, positive imperatives, and present participles) can have pronouns attached to them as direct and indirect objects, and that's just part of their grammar rather than a vocabulary thing.
When I was taking Spanish, those were referred to as separable verbs, where the pronoun was appended to the parent verb. I can't think of many other instances where the parent verb isn't a dictionary entry on its own, but that may just be my ignorance.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Woof wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:53 pm
seaborgium wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:25 pm

When I was taking Spanish, those were referred to as separable verbs, where the pronoun was appended to the parent verb. I can't think of many other instances where the parent verb isn't a dictionary entry on its own, but that may just be my ignorance.
My Spanish memory is a little hazy, but I imagine it comes from the imperative form of "andar" (to walk), which would be anda-, plus the usted/formal "you" pronoun -le. So, the dictionary form of the verb would be "andar".
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

56 R (Wolverine, Magneto, and Jean Grey are the only X-Men characters I can name. The Mary Tyler Moore character is one that easily escaped me.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: (Niagara), Uncle Tom's Cabin, Tristram Shandy, Jean Grey, Oceania, Spain, (La Mer), Notion, Monkey Wrench
Douglas Squasoni
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

What the hell happened? Aaron was so strong on Thursday and Friday and today he and Mandy just got completely pummeled in the first half of the double jeopardy round and didn't do anything about it. By the time they came to life, if it wasn't already too late, they were competing against each other and no one was able to get to 50%. Shades of the innominate situation. Not that it would have mattered.

I think Mandy got robbed on no contest. That is what the plea is called in some states and it does have no in it.

Final Jeopardy just seemed too easy. I came up with missionaries and then thought can it really be that simple?
Last edited by floridagator on Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

floridagator wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:54 pm ...

I think Mandy got robbed on no contest. That is what the plea is called in some states and it does have no in it.

In court a defendant who pleads this Latin term agrees to be convicted & punished without admitting guilt

The judges were right. No contest.