Tuesday, March 3, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, March 3, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by davey »

Volante wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:33 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:52 am
Category 13 wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:22 am Mike really has the Waddy Wachtel hairdo goin'.
I'm going with Albrecht Dürer:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albrecht_D%C3%BCrer
I was thinking Weird Al
You're all wrong. It was Brian Cranston preparing for his next role... ;)
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

I missed this game because my local station was showing coverage of the primaries. I waited to go through it until today because I didn't know which episode would air today.
Category 13 wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:22 am
Golf wrote:So nobody noticed or wants to mention Bruce's math error in FJ resulting in him not making a cover wager?

Or perhaps I'm the one who can't do math......

I'm thinking he was just speculating that Mike would not go deep. By trimming the 1000, he left himself enough to guarantee a win on a triple stumper.
In a two-thirds for first place scenario how often does second place wager everything and how often do they wager $0? Does anybody have a quick way to get those percentages?

P1 = Probability second place wagers everything
P2 = probability second place wagers 0.

I'm ignoring third place here.

The chance of Bruce winning with an 8201 wager is about [50% +30%*(1-P2)]

The chance of Bruce winning with a 7201 wager is about [30%*(1-P1)+50%+20%*(P2)]

The breakeven point is at P1 = 5/3*(P2). So if contestants wager everything more than 1.6 times as often as they wager nothing then the $8201 wager is better, but if they wager nothing more frequently than that then the 7201 wager is better.

I used RR = 30%, RW = 20%, WR = 20%, WW = 30%.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:26 am
davey wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:59 pm I was helped by perna = pernil = roast pork in a Cuban restaurant... :)
Thank you! I knew there was a pork dish I had heard of somewhere whose name was reminiscent of perna.
A friend of mine used to have the phrase "Perna condita delenda est" in his email sig :mrgreen: Instaget FJ for me even without that, though.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

alietr wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:52 am A friend of mine posted on FB, "Robert Plant won Jeopardy!"

Speaking of heavy metal (sorta) ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wl3u-rcVgVs
I was thinking more Sammy Hagar but I can see that, too.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

reddpen wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:18 am I'll be the first to grouse that "Brass in Pocket" isn't followed by a parenthetical "(I'm Special)" on any release of the first Pretenders album that I've ever seen.

Re FJ, my limited Latin got me eggs but not green, so I tried Horton Hatches the Egg. Can someone--ideally John Cleese in a centurion costume--explain why the title uses two different spellings for "green"--something to do with singular vs. plural maybe?
The last time I studied Latin, the Berlin Wall had just fallen, so you'll just have to bear with my non-costumed explanation. I imagine it has to do with the gender/number of ova (plural, feminine - ovum is singular) and perna (singular, feminine).

But attempting to look this up seems problematic. I'm getting "virentis" as plural, and "virens" as singular, in the nominative case. I can't find either of those two forms.

All this, and I got stumped on FJ! - I had the "ova" as egg, but the four word phrase with a word repeated got to me. I was being too literal - I thought of "Green Eggs and Ham", but tossed it because there was no "et" or "atque" in the title - I was expecting a word-for-word (or, verbatim) translation, I guess.

Because of that, I panicked outside of the disco. I decided to solve it as if it were a cryptogram - A B, A C, since the leading words in each sentence were of the same form. I was thinking of "One fish, two fish", but I knew "verdant" was green, not a red or blue fish. And I couldn't get to the full title in time, so I had "red egg, green egg".

Yes, we really needed that Purell clue, especially now. Actually, -I- needed Purell today. I took my dad to the ophtho - used the bathroom, and BOTH sinks were out of soap. Mentioned it to the person at the front desk, and she let me use a sink behind her. I touched THREE DOORS without washing my hands. I mentioned that she might want to call maintenance. An hour later, same thing happened to my dad as we left. Ick.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

talkingaway wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:33 pm The last time I studied Latin, the Berlin Wall had just fallen, so you'll just have to bear with my non-costumed explanation. I imagine it has to do with the gender/number of ova (plural, feminine - ovum is singular) and perna (singular, feminine).

But attempting to look this up seems problematic. I'm getting "virentis" as plural, and "virens" as singular, in the nominative case. I can't find either of those two forms.
I was curious about the words too, and the best I can figure is that the variation is an issue of conjugation, not declension. The translated title doesn't literally mean "green eggs and ham" or "green eggs, green ham"; it's "The eggs are green! The ham is green!!"
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

talkingaway wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:33 pm...I touched THREE DOORS without washing my hands. I mentioned that she might want to call maintenance. An hour later, same thing happened to my dad as we left. Ick.
After I wash my hands at work, I keep the paper towel to use on the door handle. Course, I always do that...

Admittedly, this doesn't work if they use an air dryer...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Volante wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:44 pm
talkingaway wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:33 pm...I touched THREE DOORS without washing my hands. I mentioned that she might want to call maintenance. An hour later, same thing happened to my dad as we left. Ick.
After I wash my hands at work, I keep the paper towel to use on the door handle. Course, I always do that...

Admittedly, this doesn't work if they use an air dryer...
Acutally, I normally do that, too. But, I mean, if my hands are already germified because there's no soap to use...I was pissed. Not because of COVID. Because ophthos treat conjunctivitis - probably one of the most contagious bugs out there.

I cannot stand my local AMC movie theater for that reason, too. They replaced normal air dryers with the new Dyson Poopspewer 3000. It's two plates of plastic with a thin opening that you have to maneuver your hands into - it's like a real life version of the game Operation, where you're trying to avoid the plastic. Plus, it directs air UP.

At least the bathrooms are designed without doors - honestly, a little "privacy hallway" may be a luxury in some areas with limited space, but it's by far the best design for public bathrooms.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

It's kind of a head scratch her why Bruce didn't bet enough on the final Daily Double to make it a run away, at least for a moment. When the third contestant came to life and got the $2,000 clue in the Bible, I was worried that the innominate situation would come up. However, as I mentioned, it was never a runaway for Bruce, and he stayed clam on the parenthetical song titles category while Mike made hay with it. A good job. (You've got to) fight for your right (to be Jeopardy champion).

I own Charlotte's Web in Latin (Tela Charlottae) and I think at one point I might have owned Winnie the Pooh (Winnie Ille Pu) or maybe I just borrowed that one. Did you know there is also a Latin version of Wikipedia?
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.