Wednesday, March 4, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

DysonSphere
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, March 4, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by DysonSphere »

Paul is a law school buddy of mine. Very nice, very smart fellow (editor of law review), and it was fun to watch him win tonight.
Golf

Post by Golf »

The USDA clue asked what it was short for. US Department of Agriculture was deemed correct. But should it have been seeing that the clue asked for everything sounded out?

Final clue of the J round and the wager was $1k out of $5k on a middle row clue?

Nobody was close to knowing "The Process" for Embiid, do a 180 was a really bad guess on a bottom row clue.

Margaret was getting her butt handed to her on the buzzer, yet didn't give herself the best chance to get back in the game on DD2. And after "missing" the 3rd row clue, kept going back to the category for the bottom two where she had no clue.

Coneheads a TS? These contestants did not consume mass quantities of Jeopardy material. 8-)

Bamaman wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:55 pm I suppose Golf hasn’t posted due to having to go buy a new TV after shooting it after seeing Paul’s DD bet followed by going for the $400 clue. This after a time warning and a lengthy ramble by Alex explaining the apex reversal.
Admittedly, it was a tough wagering situation. But yes, $3k was far from ideal. His FJ wager might have been worse however. I'm just glad someone noticed and commented on this sub-optimal game play after yesterday nobody seeming to care and/or notice when the leader accidentally tried to throw the game away.
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

I literally just read about Parson Weems in my study of Presidents. Why the heck couldn't I remember that name?

Above average day for me. $31400 Coryat, 42 R, 1W
LT: Farad, Franken, Coneheads, Proactiv
Now swimming in the J! pool.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 28,800
44 R/4 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Proactiv, The Process, (apogee (DD)), god/goddess, Coneheads, Al Franken

Like others, I thought this was a ridiculously easy FJ! and fully expected Margaret to make Paul pay for underwagering on DD3. I guess not.

I'd love to see what the judges found that convinced them to accept "apex" for DD2.

They expect me to know the anther? I thought the whole point of the show is that they give us the anthers, and we give them the questions!
thenextofken wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:42 pm
Linear Gnome wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:24 pm OK, judges: granting that "fallacious" was the desired response, I came up with "specious". Close enough?
I'd say so. I actually said "fallicious," which is related, but not exactly the same judges?
Specious should be fine. I don't see anything indicating that "fallicious" is a real word.
Sprinkles are for winners.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:45 pm ...

They expect me to know the anther? I thought the whole point of the show is that they give us the anthers, and we give them the questions!
Good one and especially so with Opus away for Lent as he is always good with such humor.

Margaret missed with "a muse" when it was "a god" wanted. I don't have anything clever to make of it although I did think of the famous Judy Blume book.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:45 pm
http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=748 See the $1600 clue in the Botany category.

I tried to look up how many times "anther" has been used before and the search feature on j-archive really wanted me to know about David Niven movies and a Carolina sports team. A Google of "site:j-archive.com "anther"" shows that it has been used at least twice before and it has been mentioned a bunch of times.

I missed Parson Weems with Washington Irving. Irving wrote a famous biography of George Washington and I thought that was the origin of the cherry tree myth, but nope, I learned something new.

I missed the "eBay" clue by mixing up Meg Whitman, Marissa Mayer, and Carly Fiorina. I thought about Chicago and switched my answer to London on the Frank Lloyd Wright clue that mentioned Hyde Park.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Ran "Ious".

For some reason, Greek prefixes always elude me. "Necropolis" would have been there had I remembered -opolis, but of course it fell out of my head.

"Cursed Child" was not familiar to me and kept me from going 12/12 on the top boxes.

Savior in Spanish is salvador, so Dali it is.

Lach trash: Proactiv
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

In re the apogee clue, the judges are super generous to a fault. Apex is a synonym for apogee in it's first definition :
Spoiler
ap·o·gee
the highest point in the development of something; a climax or culmination.
"the White House is considered the apogee of American achievement"
Astronomy
the point in the orbit of the moon or a satellite at which it is furthest from the earth.
But of course the clue was related to orbits,and the second definition. I assume there were many coin flips between perigee and apogee. I NHO the first definition, and it might help keep these silly terms straight. Even funnier, if you google combinations of "apex" and "orbit", you get pictures of the eye socket.

The right player won the match, and maybe Paul will smooth out the rough patches and win a few. He got a lawyer friendly set of clues or two today.

FJ - I got there 27 seconds faster than my doppleganger morbeedo.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Guessed "tank" for the Philadelphia 76ers clue :twisted:
No, judges. Apex should never have been accepted for apogee. :x :x :x
FJ:. Spanish for Saviour = Salvador. Dali. done. :mrgreen:
davey

Post by davey »

Irritating that they avoided the play titles, but I admit, I've seen the Harry Potter play (it's a lot of fun, even if you're not much of a fan) and I still couldn't remember the right words...there's a welter of Harry Potter titles out there!
For FJ, I knew it was either Dalí or I was forgetting some guy named Jesus... :)
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

I'm sure I've posted this link before but nonetheless: Dali on "What's My Line?".

It's too bad he never appeared on Celebrity Jeopardy. Or Power Players week, Teachers Week, or the "Greatest of All Time" tourney.
I'm smart and I want respect.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Just this week, there's been a meme going around of someone tweeting about being surprised that Pablo Picasso died in 1973, and "I thought this man lived in 1500." The version I saw also included one of the reply tweets...

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:32 pm In re the apogee clue, the judges are super generous to a fault. Apex is a synonym for apogee in it's first definition :
its
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I knew Parson Weems from Dave Barry Slept Here but couldn't pull it in time.

No points for guessing what other fun-to-say name I picked up from that book.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I had ranking for the basketball clue. I don’t really follow the NBA and never heard of this. The Process is what I associate with Nick Saban.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Johnblue wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:05 am Fake news?

https://www.bing.com/amp/s/www.sporting ... n57r7ips2a
The article does get the result of the game blatantly wrong...
Bigdogstalfos
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Bigdogstalfos »

Bamaman wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:14 am I had ranking for the basketball clue. I don’t really follow the NBA and never heard of this. The Process is what I associate with Nick Saban.
The Sixers pulled a multi-year tank in order to stock up on talent. Their old GM always said “Trust the Process” and Embiid, in his trolly Embiid way, ended up adopting it. If they win a title, it’ll definitely end up being a Thing That Comes Up as the tanking was so blatant and so long-term.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:32 pm In re the apogee clue, the judges are super generous to a fault. Apex is a synonym for apogee in it's first definition :
Spoiler
ap·o·gee
the highest point in the development of something; a climax or culmination.
"the White House is considered the apogee of American achievement"
Astronomy
the point in the orbit of the moon or a satellite at which it is furthest from the earth.
But of course the clue was related to orbits,and the second definition. I assume there were many coin flips between perigee and apogee. I NHO the first definition, and it might help keep these silly terms straight. Even funnier, if you google combinations of "apex" and "orbit", you get pictures of the eye socket.

The right player won the match, and maybe Paul will smooth out the rough patches and win a few. He got a lawyer friendly set of clues or two today.

FJ - I got there 27 seconds faster than my doppleganger morbeedo.
For anyone who had to coinflip, here is how I keep apogee and perigee straight:

At the APogee, the Earth and moon are far APart. At the PERigee, they are PERessed together.

Lame, I know, but it works for me.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I thought the regular game play was quite difficult, but followed by one of the easiest FJs in recent memory.