Friday, March 6, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

ParrotRob
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Friday, March 6, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by ParrotRob »

econgator wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:30 pm That goalie clue was bad. 1) They asked for a player, not a position and 2) not that we'll ever know, but I wonder if they would have taken "keeper" or "goalkeeper". The book's title uses "Goalie". I almost never hear them called a goalie.
I wouldn't have taken goalkeeper. The clue specifically asks for the novel, which indisputably calls the player "goalie". Don't think that was a poor clue at all - very straightforward.
--
Drowning in the pool
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

ParrotRob wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:18 pm
econgator wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:30 pm That goalie clue was bad. 1) They asked for a player, not a position and 2) not that we'll ever know, but I wonder if they would have taken "keeper" or "goalkeeper". The book's title uses "Goalie". I almost never hear them called a goalie.
I wouldn't have taken goalkeeper. The clue specifically asks for the novel, which indisputably calls the player "goalie". Don't think that was a poor clue at all - very straightforward.
So, if I ask you to name your favorite baseball player, you'll say "2nd baseman"?
mungar
Valued Contributor

Post by mungar »

econgator wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:40 pm
So, if I ask you to name your favorite baseball player, you'll say "2nd baseman"?
2B or not 2B?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

talkingaway wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:36 pm The big clue would have been the word "dubbed" - I was thinking of some kind of historical movie, like "Empire of the Sun" or "The Last Emperor". Those would be more likely to be subtitled, and not dubbed. The only movies that I could think of were "Crazy Rich Asians" and "Parasite" - wrong country for both, and they probably would have been subtitled, not dubbed. (Also, "Crazy Rich Asians" already got its spot in FJ! this year.)
All the movies you named took place in Asia; did you get Tahitian cross-wired with Taiwan?
Lefty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Lefty »

morbeedo wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:40 pm
Always go with the obvious answer. Moana popped into my head immediately but when the think music ended, I said I got nothing. Of course, on stage I would have written something down
I'd put it somewhat more cautiously--don't reject the obvious answer just because it's obvious.

Anyway, nothing was obvious to me, except that I'm more comfortable with 1932 movies. I also thought of the Bounty but figured it would likely be one of the sequel novels, neither of whose names I could have pulled. I do recognize "Moana" as a name I've seen.
I'm smart and I want respect.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

It's hard to "go with the obvious" when you literally can't think of a single thing that fits.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

seaborgium wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:41 pm
talkingaway wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:36 pm The big clue would have been the word "dubbed" - I was thinking of some kind of historical movie, like "Empire of the Sun" or "The Last Emperor". Those would be more likely to be subtitled, and not dubbed. The only movies that I could think of were "Crazy Rich Asians" and "Parasite" - wrong country for both, and they probably would have been subtitled, not dubbed. (Also, "Crazy Rich Asians" already got its spot in FJ! this year.)
All the movies you named took place in Asia; did you get Tahitian cross-wired with Taiwan?
Not specifically, but I'm sure I could mix those up easily. For some reason, I always mentally lump the South Pacific in with Asia - I guess as "places where you head west if you're leaving form the US". It doesn't help that there's a restaurant called Tahiti that I used to go to with my grandmother when I was little that served Chinese food...and one on Cape Cod that I haven't been to in a while called Tiki Port.

My weak-spot-within-my-weak-spot is island geography. I couldn't think of any Polynesian movies in the last 4 or 5 years, and Moana wasn't in my "active memory", so to speak.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I thought I was sunk when I saw the FJ category, but I knew this one immediately despite never having seen the movie.

I like the theory that Lynn came up with Ragnarok because it was directed by Waititi.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

The novel was originally published in German as "Die Angst des Tormanns beim Elfmeter". Google translate shows Tormann could as goalie but it also has goalkeeper less frequently.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

Well... I'll be checking the Box Of Shame. Two of them, I should have had, but nope...

Dunno a thing 'bout Moana. So that's not one of those I could have gotten on a better day...
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Hard to get a movie you have never heard of.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:57 am Things to read about today's challengers:
https://www.tysonsreporter.com/2020/02/ ... -jeopardy/
Wait, what? People live in Tysons?!? (Strictly a comment for locals; it's better known for it's many, many stores and offices and according to Wikipedia, is the 12th largest employment center in the U.S. You go there after Thanksgiving at your own peril.)
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

i agree with you that keep, keeper and goalkeeper are probably the most common terms, but I had no problem coming up with goalie as it sounded right. I dunno, maybe vestigial memory of the Peter Handke book?
Golf

Post by Golf »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:57 am Things to read about today's challengers:

https://www.tysonsreporter.com/2020/02/ ... -jeopardy/
That was a pretty cool article coming from an 8th grader.
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

xxaaaxx wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:38 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:57 am He's back! Iain Armitage presented a clue.
Did they kidnap that kid? How many freaking clues did they record? :lol:
12 so far according to the archive. Feels like a lot more.

Alex is normally good with accents, but his Massachusetts one ("pahk your cah") wouldn't fool anyone.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Woof wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:24 am I dunno, maybe vestigial memory of the Peter Handke book?
I don't recall ever hearing of him or his book. The Archive shows the last mention of him back in 2013. Definitely not remembering a clue from 7 years ago.

Then there's this:
#3986, aired 2001-12-24 A SPORTING CHANCE $2000: Peter Handke wrote a novel called this position's "Fear of the Penalty Kick"

This one was written correctly. Why change it to the the misused "player"?
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

morbeedo wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:40 pm
Robert K S wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:29 pm The director of the 2017 film Thor: Ragnarok, Taika Waititi, is half Maori, not Tahitian. New Zealand is one-third the width of the Pacific away from Tahiti (seven and a half hours by air), but since it's still probably the closest major land mass, and Maori and Tahitians had common Polynesian ancestors, I can't fault this as being a crazy response.
Always go with the obvious answer. Moana popped into my head immediately but when the think music ended, I said I got nothing. Of course, on stage I would have written something down
I immediately thought of Moana, but for some reason I had it in my mind as a much older moview -- 2010 or so. Hope I would have written it down had I been on stage, but based on my history, I can't claim I would have.....

What also popped into my head was Anthony Quinn as Gaugin playing off Kirk Douglas's Van Gogh in "Lust for Life". I do know I wouldn't have written THAT down.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Woof wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:24 am
i agree with you that keep, keeper and goalkeeper are probably the most common terms, but I had no problem coming up with goalie as it sounded right. I dunno, maybe vestigial memory of the Peter Handke book?
I think "goalie" is the word most people use who don't follow soccer. People who follow soccer tend to use those other words.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

nserven wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:29 am
xxaaaxx wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:38 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:57 am He's back! Iain Armitage presented a clue.
Did they kidnap that kid? How many freaking clues did they record? :lol:
12 so far according to the archive. Feels like a lot more.

Alex is normally good with accents, but his Massachusetts one ("pahk your cah") wouldn't fool anyone.
I wasn't fooled at all...but I agree that he is VERY good at mimicry in general. In fact, sometimes, almost a bit too good - it's a fine line, and I'm sure he's given away thousands of dollars in clues over the years with his imitations. I know I've heard one or two clues this season where I might me a bit hesitant on the buzzer, but Alex essentially gives the clue away with a voice. I'm pretty sure he's done Bogart before, and as soon as I hear the voice, I ignore what he's saying and just get ready to say either "Bogart" or "Casablanca". He does a good Jimmy Stewart, too - those two make sense, with his well-documented love of AMC.
ParrotRob
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by ParrotRob »

econgator wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:40 pm
Nope. But then, the clue didn't ask for the name of a player, it asked for the name of a novel. Completely unambiguous.
Using your logic, the clue "Arthur Miller won a Pulitzer prize for his play about the death of this person" would be a "bad clue", because "salesman" is an occupation not a person.
--
Drowning in the pool