Friday, March 6, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

ParrotRob
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Friday, March 6, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by ParrotRob »

alietr wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:48 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:57 am Things to read about today's challengers:
https://www.tysonsreporter.com/2020/02/ ... -jeopardy/
Wait, what? People live in Tysons?!? (Strictly a comment for locals; it's better known for it's many, many stores and offices and according to Wikipedia, is the 12th largest employment center in the U.S. You go there after Thanksgiving at your own peril.)
Hell, you go there between 5am and 9am or 2pm and 6pm on any given day at your own peril. That Silver line that was supposed to help with the traffic? Yeah, not so much.
--
Drowning in the pool
ParrotRob
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by ParrotRob »

alietr wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:48 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:57 am Things to read about today's challengers:
https://www.tysonsreporter.com/2020/02/ ... -jeopardy/
Wait, what? People live in Tysons?!? (Strictly a comment for locals; it's better known for it's many, many stores and offices and according to Wikipedia, is the 12th largest employment center in the U.S. You go there after Thanksgiving at your own peril.)
Upon further review, nope, people STILL don't live in Tyson's - he lives in Falls Church ;)
--
Drowning in the pool
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

ParrotRob wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:24 pm Nope. But then, the clue didn't ask for the name of a player, it asked for the name of a novel. Completely unambiguous.
Using your logic, the clue "Arthur Miller won a Pulitzer prize for his play about the death of this person" would be a "bad clue", because "salesman" is an occupation not a person.
OK. Nevermind.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

55 R (The Power was my only miss. Was hoping they were going to ask for the Orange Prize.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: *Exacta*, Prisoners, Adding Machine, Goalie, Prussia, Candor, 3-D Printing
Douglas Squasoni
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

ParrotRob wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:24 pm
econgator wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:40 pm
ParrotRob wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:18 pm
econgator wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:30 pm That goalie clue was bad. 1) They asked for a player, not a position and 2) not that we'll ever know, but I wonder if they would have taken "keeper" or "goalkeeper". The book's title uses "Goalie". I almost never hear them called a goalie.
I wouldn't have taken goalkeeper. The clue specifically asks for the novel, which indisputably calls the player "goalie". Don't think that was a poor clue at all - very straightforward.
So, if I ask you to name your favorite baseball player, you'll say "2nd baseman"?
Nope. But then, the clue didn't ask for the name of a player, it asked for the name of a novel. Completely unambiguous.
Using your logic, the clue "Arthur Miller won a Pulitzer prize for his play about the death of this person" would be a "bad clue", because "salesman" is an occupation not a person.
But in that case they'd probably be looking for "Willy Loman" - you might get a BMS for salesman...
The title has also been translated as The Goalkeeper's Fear of the Penalty. The Wikipedia entry for Wim Wenders' film version is under that title, but it looks like Wenders' German title is the same. Goalkeeper would probably be accepted. (Although you could say the clue gives the more familiar translation so limits the response to that wording...And it is a famous title.)
Frankly, I don't know why anyone would guess on this one, especially with a player's name. It's awfully foolish, since - as I've heard it said from time to time - "it's so wide open!"

For the Dumas clue, in the earliest part of the novel Edmond Dantès is a sailor... so that's what I said... :roll:

I guess I'm the only person who said Aquaman for FJ?? I was thinking Jason Momoa might be Tahitian...but he's Hawaiian... :oops: I think Moana was in the back of my mind but I'm not sure I could have remembered that title.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Robert K S wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:14 pm Is The Rock any part Tahitian?
American/Canadian/Samoan, from what I can find.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

xxaaaxx wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:31 pm
My assumption was the Tahitian part of the clue was supposed to point you toward a film set in Polynesia and the South Pacific, not specficially to Tahiti.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

jeff6286 wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:50 pm
xxaaaxx wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:31 pm
My assumption was the Tahitian part of the clue was supposed to point you toward a film set in Polynesia and the South Pacific, not specficially to Tahiti.
Filed under "something I didn't know and probably wouldn't have picked up on even if I had watched the film": Moana's setting is fictional. It's on what I assume is a generic Polynesian island of Motunui, according to Wikipedia. There is a Motu Nui that's the westernmost point in Chile, but there's a disambiguation blurb at the top.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Resurrecting a zombie thread here, I know, but was Paul shafted out of $2400 (total swing) with his "incorrect" response of "What is CAD?" in INVENTIONS $1200? The clue: "The robotic hand seen here was created thanks to the invention of this computer-aided process"

At the time I remember coming up with the expected response and not thinking anything more of his incorrect response, but "computer-aided" in the clue practically calls out for "CAD", and the robotic hand almost certainly used some form of CAD at some point in its design.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Robert K S wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:09 pm Resurrecting a zombie thread here, I know, but was Paul shafted out of $2400 (total swing) with his "incorrect" response of "What is CAD?" in INVENTIONS $1200? The clue: "The robotic hand seen here was created thanks to the invention of this computer-aided process"

At the time I remember coming up with the expected response and not thinking anything more of his incorrect response, but "computer-aided" in the clue practically calls out for "CAD", and the robotic hand almost certainly used some form of CAD at some point in its design.
Definitely agree. I had to look up the expected response to see what they were going for.
Spoiler
3-D printing. Oh. Ok.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:31 pm
Robert K S wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:09 pm Resurrecting a zombie thread here, I know, but was Paul shafted out of $2400 (total swing) with his "incorrect" response of "What is CAD?" in INVENTIONS $1200? The clue: "The robotic hand seen here was created thanks to the invention of this computer-aided process"

Definitely agree. I had to look up the expected response to see what they were going for.
Spoiler
3-D printing. Oh. Ok.
Nope. This isn't the video J! used, but it features the same kit, an Open Bionics circa 2015 model

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/technology-34052498
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/06 ... bath-2015/

You could AutoCAD it all you want, but you still wouldn't be able to fabricate it without 3D printing
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Volante wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:46 pm Nope.
Volante, are you saying it wasn't made with any kind of CAD?

I don't see how you can argue that the clue is pinned to 3-D printing, as opposed to any other technology involved in its "creation".
jeffwolfe
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jeffwolfe »

Volante wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:46 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:31 pm

Spoiler
3-D printing. Oh. Ok.
Nope. This isn't the video J! used, but it features the same kit, an Open Bionics circa 2015 model

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/technology-34052498
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/06 ... bath-2015/

You could AutoCAD it all you want, but you still wouldn't be able to fabricate it without 3D printing
I wonder what they would've done with CAM (computer-aided manufacturing). It's not really the same, but it's similarly related to the manufacturing process. Can you tell from a picture whether an object was machined or 3D printed? Seems unlikely, especially for a layperson, although the picture is not on j-archive.

Also, I think you could make a good argument that you can't really do 3D printing without CAD, so the ability to 3D print the object is "thanks to the invention of " CAD.

I think it's especially negbaity since they gave computer-aided (although not in quotes). Whatever is or isn't technically a correct response, I think it's a bad clue.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

jeffwolfe wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:35 pm I wonder what they would've done with CAM (computer-aided manufacturing).
Hopefully a BMS, since 3-D printing falls under the rubric of CAM.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Saw a playthru of just The Saints category from this episode on Youtube , and Alex definitely seemed to be losing his voice.