Friday, March 6, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, March 6, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, March 6, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
21st CENTURY MOVIES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
After its initial release in 2016, it became the first major motion picture to be dubbed in Tahitian

Paul Trifiletti: 12400+10801=23201 (3x=61,400)
Lynn Q. Yu: 11000-9399=1601
Mahesh Uttamchandani: 11600+801=12401

Correct response:
Spoiler
Moana (Lynn – Thor: Ragnorak)

Daily Doubles
Mahesh: 3200+3200
Mahesh: 9600+400
Paul: 6400+2000

Coryats
Paul: 11600
Lynn: 11000
Mahesh: 10400

Combined: 33,000

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Paul: 7600
Lynn: 3800
Mahesh: 8000
Last edited by theFJguy on Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Things to read about today's challengers:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4324&p=281668&hilit=lynn+yu#p281668

https://medium.com/@lynnqyu/welcome-to- ... 111f6a00f7

https://www.tysonsreporter.com/2020/02/ ... -jeopardy/

Mahesh mentioned he came in third in a previous game show appearance and today he came in second. Third time's the charm?

He's back! Iain Armitage presented a clue.

When Mahesh was negged for exactor I did not know that was an acceptable response. As soon as Alex was winding up for a score change I then knew it had to be that one.

The FJ! category had me doing my usual run of Best Picture winners. The clue had me knowing what to write to match the gentlemen. Close game today on stats and scoreboard for an entertaining contest to end the week. No doubt Lynn or Mahesh could have won with a different shuffle of that day's taping pool.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

The only thing I associated with Tahiti was Gauguin, and I couldn't think of any Gauguin movies. So I tried to just think of the biggest box office movie I could think of in the last year and went with Avengers: Endgame, which it turns out was 2019.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

The director of the 2017 film Thor: Ragnarok, Taika Waititi, is half Maori, not Tahitian. New Zealand is one-third the width of the Pacific away from Tahiti (seven and a half hours by air), but since it's still probably the closest major land mass, and Maori and Tahitians had common Polynesian ancestors, I can't fault this as being a crazy response.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Ironhorse wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:49 pm The only thing I associated with Tahiti was Gauguin, and I couldn't think of any Gauguin movies. So I tried to just think of the biggest box office movie I could think of in the last year and went with Avengers: Endgame, which it turns out was 2019.
Also got stuck on Gauguin and ended up empty handed. Forehead slap, since I've probably seen Moana 40 times.
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

Robert K S wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:29 pm The director of the 2017 film Thor: Ragnarok, Taika Waititi, is half Maori, not Tahitian. New Zealand is one-third the width of the Pacific away from Tahiti (seven and a half hours by air), but since it's still probably the closest major land mass, and Maori and Tahitians had common Polynesian ancestors, I can't fault this as being a crazy response.
Wow, OK .. that explains a lot. May be one of those "know TOO much about something" scenarios.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

That goalie clue was bad. 1) They asked for a player, not a position and 2) not that we'll ever know, but I wonder if they would have taken "keeper" or "goalkeeper". The book's title uses "Goalie". I almost never hear them called a goalie.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Robert K S wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:29 pm The director of the 2017 film Thor: Ragnarok, Taika Waititi, is half Maori, not Tahitian. New Zealand is one-third the width of the Pacific away from Tahiti (seven and a half hours by air), but since it's still probably the closest major land mass, and Maori and Tahitians had common Polynesian ancestors, I can't fault this as being a crazy response.
Always go with the obvious answer. Moana popped into my head immediately but when the think music ended, I said I got nothing. Of course, on stage I would have written something down

I was rooting so hard for Lynn because I know her and she’s an all around great gal. She played well, got outbuzzed on a few clues and found no daily doubles. Them’s the brakes!

I got the prisoners clue, but that one was weird
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Had a rough J! round with three negs: Apprentice for West Wing, NYPD Blue for Hill Street Blues, and Daily Double for exacta.

Ran Postal Abbreviations and got all but $2,000 in Inventions, but Literary Awards was entirely over my head.

I was actually looking up films earlier today. Happened to spend a long time lingering on 2016 and soaked up the top 10. Tossed around "Tahitian" in my head for a good six minutes and had absolutely nothing. Didn't help that I got stuck on live-action and couldn't think of anything even remotely close. Absolute frustration because had it come to mind, I would have had only my second 5/5 week ever. :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x

Lach Trash: candor, 3-D printing
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Coryat $31,200 (40R, 1W)
DD 2/3
FJ :(

Movie FJs are like Kryptonite to me. If I can't get one on a movie I've seen dozens of times... I'm just betting zero and hoping for the TS if I get on the show and am faced with one.
bluejaylink
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bluejaylink »

It's 2040 and Jeopardy! host Alex Trebek has just celebrated his 100th birthday. James Holzhauer's daughter is a 30-day champion and selects the first clue of the game:

"I'll take Broadway for $2000, Alex"

"And now a clue from TV's Young Sheldon, Iain Armitage."
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

You have no goddamn idea how pissed off I am that I completely whiffed on a chance at only my second-ever perfecto. I think even a 4/5 hasn't happened to me in several years. I could've had this if only I'd thought to jump away from live-action movies, but the nature of the category had me dead-set that it had to be live action.

I have only once in my life ever achieved a 5/5 on FJ!, and it was all the way back in late 2007. How many more years will it take?
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

3/5 on FJs for me this week after today. Moana was an educated guess.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Sigh, totally expected a movie FJ! to ruin my perfecto. :roll:
I figured Tahitian, maybe I missed a Mutiny on the Bounty remake. :(
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Pet peeve: The line "Grease is the word" comes from the title song "Grease" that debuted in the MOVIE "Grease", not in the original 1972-1980 Broadway production that was referenced in the clue. In fact, if you listen to the song and you know pop musical history, you can tell that the 1978 song "Grease" couldn't possibly have come from a 1972 musical, unless it had some REALLY heavy remixing. The song is 100% disco, which didn't really rise to the mainstream until about 1974. It has much more in common with Valli's "December 1963 (Oh What a Night)" than "Oh Sherry".

In the writers' defense, the song has been added to various incarnations of the musical, since most when most people think of "Grease", they think of the movie, not the stage musical. And the "is the word" is just a nudge, not an actual part of the clue.

I don't know how I pulled out CA-ND-OR in postal states, when simple clues like PA-NE and IN-KY had me slackjawed.

I wonder if they'd taken "football" in the Leicester City clue for "soccer". Or "futbol"? That'd be a sneaky way to cover two bases...and, wow, that's a mixed metaphor.

I got Leeward Islands because of a Buzzy's Netflix collection that I watched a little over a month ago - it was one of his FJ!s. I guessed "windward" on the FJ!, and was wrong. I got "leeward" this time. Learning: Sometimes, it works.

FJ! had me stumped. Never seen Moana. All I know about the movie is that it's probably Polynesian (or at least Polynesian-flavored), that Rock "the Dwayne" Johnson voiced the guy who seems magical in the previews, and that it's a Disney animated film. It's on my list of movies I want to see...but I'm still chugging through my list of Best Picture nominees. The big clue would have been the word "dubbed" - I was thinking of some kind of historical movie, like "Empire of the Sun" or "The Last Emperor". Those would be more likely to be subtitled, and not dubbed. The only movies that I could think of were "Crazy Rich Asians" and "Parasite" - wrong country for both, and they probably would have been subtitled, not dubbed. (Also, "Crazy Rich Asians" already got its spot in FJ! this year.)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

DBear wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:33 pm Sigh, totally expected a movie FJ! to ruin my perfecto. :roll:
Join the club. At least I'm sure your last perfecto was more recently than 13 years ago.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:57 am He's back! Iain Armitage presented a clue.
Did they kidnap that kid? How many freaking clues did they record? :lol:

Hit a DD down 5 grand? Bet 2k. Take an $800 lead anyway late in the game? Call a $1600 clue. I know I know, in the heat of the moment they aren't staring at the scoreboard, but it's a perfect bookend for all the contestants who take categories top-to-bottom even when trailing by several grand. *shrug*

I happened to be watching tonight's episode with my mom, so Mahesh's "kinda like The Newlywed [Game], but with your mom" story had us rolling. I understood what he meant, but...heh. His $400 DD wager also got a laugh...becuase I would've done the same thing in his shoes (musicals? yuck), and been just as disappointed by how easy the clue turned out to be.

Tahiti -> Pacific Islands -> Moana, hooray 5/5.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I'd rather watch Iain Armitage read clues for Jeopardy! for the next 72 years than watch 30 seconds of Young Sheldon.