J! to Tape Without Live Audience

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes
Posts: 9667
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: J! to Tape Without Live Audience

Post by Bamaman »

Closing the Sony cafeteria can only be a good thing. :lol:

Seriously, I wouldn’t want to get on a plane right now.

User avatar
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1714
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:18 pm
Location: Tornado Alley / Southwest Missouri

Re: J! to Tape Without Live Audience

Post by twelvefootboy »

Bamaman wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:09 am
Closing the Sony cafeteria can only be a good thing. :lol:

Seriously, I wouldn’t want to get on a plane right now.
I have no problem with the idea of getting on a plane. But navigating the uncertainty of airport lines for health and security clearances and flight schedules/delays - no thanks!
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.

User avatar
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool
Posts: 1780
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:50 pm

Re: J! to Tape Without Live Audience

Post by triviawayne »

Volante wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:03 am
talkingaway wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:03 am
I now have my doubts as to whether they'll be able to make a "full" season. Here in Massachusetts, we can't have more than 25 people in a given place, so pretty much everything besides grocery stores and pharmacies will be closed. No restaurants with seating - everything's take-out or delivery. And I know LA now has similar restrictions, including closing "entertainment venues" (goodbye, SONY Studios), and the suggestion of isolation of people over 65 or with chronic disease (that's Alex and Johnny, at least).

Not to mention it's a really dumb idea to fly 21 people in from all across the country and fly them back 2 days later.

I know they probably have about 8 weeks of shows in the bank, but the CDC has also recommended no gatherings of over 50 people for 8 weeks. Maybe they tack on some extra dates in the summer, but I wouldn't be surprised if we get some unplanned reruns.
Season 37 is reportedly going to start filming in May, so there's that

not that i'm doubting you...but i'm just asking...May????

Don't they normally film into late April/early May for a season, then take a break, and come back for the new season in late July/early August? Am I thinking of a different show's schedule?
Total game show career losings = $171,522

User avatar
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool
Posts: 1780
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:50 pm

Re: J! to Tape Without Live Audience

Post by triviawayne »

Bamaman wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:09 am
Closing the Sony cafeteria can only be a good thing. :lol:

Seriously, I wouldn’t want to get on a plane right now.
Nothing will stop me from going if they call me.

Planes have great filtration systems, and since so many feel the way you do, I think I would be able to maintain distance from others :lol:
Total game show career losings = $171,522

talkingaway
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 557
Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:59 am

Re: J! to Tape Without Live Audience

Post by talkingaway »

triviawayne wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:16 am
Bamaman wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:09 am
Closing the Sony cafeteria can only be a good thing. :lol:

Seriously, I wouldn’t want to get on a plane right now.
Nothing will stop me from going if they call me.

Planes have great filtration systems, and since so many feel the way you do, I think I would be able to maintain distance from others :lol:
The lecterns don't look to be 6 feet from each other, but appearances can be deceiving. The person who does your makeup at very least would be coming in close contact with 20 other people, and constantly "touching" you up. The 21 contestants come from all across the country, and will be going home after the taping.

You can transmit COVID-19 during the 5-day period where you're not symptomatic. If one of the 21 contestants has COVID-19, and, through a minor break of "sterile procedure", transmits it to 3 or 4 of the other contestants, they bring it home to become a new nidus of infection in their hometown.

So, if you're a healthy 30 year-old who has no direct contacts with "old folks" or other risk populations, no big deal, right? Wrong. You can easily Kevin Bacon yourself into transmitting COVID to someone in a high-risk population.

Personally, out of respect for my parents, who are 81 and 74, I will be doing everything I damn well can to keep this disease from getting anywhere near them. Even if it's as simple as missing an audition date or missing a trip to LA - though I'm nowhere near either of those phases of the process. If the J! producers thought I was awesome and cool and smart enough to have me on, they'd understand my reasons for declining because many others would similarly have to decline. I'd be happy to have them call back for season 37 - and even if that season doesn't have Alex, it's still J!.

It's not worth spreading COVID for a trip to LA and an average prize of, what, about $7,000?

User avatar
OntarioQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews
Posts: 1364
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:01 am

Re: J! to Tape Without Live Audience

Post by OntarioQuizzer »

talkingaway wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:43 am
average prize of, what, about $7,000?
$14,476.43 (Remember, an average champion wins a second game.)
Andy Saunders
Moderator, #JeopardyLivePanel
Host, Complete The List
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Site Admin - The Jeopardy! Fan

gameshowfandanny
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 132
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:09 pm

Re: J! to Tape Without Live Audience

Post by gameshowfandanny »

Bamaman wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:09 am
Closing the Sony cafeteria can only be a good thing. :lol:

Seriously, I wouldn’t want to get on a plane right now.
This, we also need a source on. If the Sony cafeteria was closed, then the contestants from the second taping session (and the champion from Wednesday's game) wouldn't be served lunch.

User avatar
OntarioQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews
Posts: 1364
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:01 am

Re: J! to Tape Without Live Audience

Post by OntarioQuizzer »

gameshowfandanny wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:58 am
Bamaman wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:09 am
Closing the Sony cafeteria can only be a good thing. :lol:

Seriously, I wouldn’t want to get on a plane right now.
This, we also need a source on. If the Sony cafeteria was closed, then the contestants from the second taping session (and the champion from Wednesday's game) wouldn't be served lunch.
Pretty sure that wasn't a serious remark. (Note the laughing emoji following it.)
Andy Saunders
Moderator, #JeopardyLivePanel
Host, Complete The List
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Site Admin - The Jeopardy! Fan

User avatar
squarekara
LEGO my Ego
Posts: 767
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:49 am
Location: Land o' Lincoln

Re: J! to Tape Without Live Audience

Post by squarekara »

OntarioQuizzer wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:00 pm
gameshowfandanny wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:58 am
Bamaman wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:09 am
Closing the Sony cafeteria can only be a good thing. :lol:
This, we also need a source on. If the Sony cafeteria was closed, then the contestants from the second taping session (and the champion from Wednesday's game) wouldn't be served lunch.
Pretty sure that wasn't a serious remark. (Note the laughing emoji following it.)
Contestants can sit several seats apart in the studio, and Johnny Gilbert can ration out peanut butter sandwiches with a t-shirt cannon.

User avatar
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool
Posts: 1780
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:50 pm

Re: J! to Tape Without Live Audience

Post by triviawayne »

talkingaway wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:43 am
triviawayne wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:16 am
Bamaman wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:09 am
Closing the Sony cafeteria can only be a good thing. :lol:

Seriously, I wouldn’t want to get on a plane right now.
Nothing will stop me from going if they call me.

Planes have great filtration systems, and since so many feel the way you do, I think I would be able to maintain distance from others :lol:
The lecterns don't look to be 6 feet from each other, but appearances can be deceiving. The person who does your makeup at very least would be coming in close contact with 20 other people, and constantly "touching" you up. The 21 contestants come from all across the country, and will be going home after the taping.

You can transmit COVID-19 during the 5-day period where you're not symptomatic. If one of the 21 contestants has COVID-19, and, through a minor break of "sterile procedure", transmits it to 3 or 4 of the other contestants, they bring it home to become a new nidus of infection in their hometown.

So, if you're a healthy 30 year-old who has no direct contacts with "old folks" or other risk populations, no big deal, right? Wrong. You can easily Kevin Bacon yourself into transmitting COVID to someone in a high-risk population.

Personally, out of respect for my parents, who are 81 and 74, I will be doing everything I damn well can to keep this disease from getting anywhere near them. Even if it's as simple as missing an audition date or missing a trip to LA - though I'm nowhere near either of those phases of the process. If the J! producers thought I was awesome and cool and smart enough to have me on, they'd understand my reasons for declining because many others would similarly have to decline. I'd be happy to have them call back for season 37 - and even if that season doesn't have Alex, it's still J!.

It's not worth spreading COVID for a trip to LA and an average prize of, what, about $7,000?
I will still go if called
Total game show career losings = $171,522

User avatar
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General
Posts: 940
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:35 am

Re: J! to Tape Without Live Audience

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

So what week was the most recent tape date supposed to air, if anyone knows?

User avatar
morbeedo
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 2569
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:58 pm

Re: J! to Tape Without Live Audience

Post by morbeedo »

triviawayne wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:59 pm
talkingaway wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:43 am
It's not worth spreading COVID for a trip to LA and an average prize of, what, about $7,000?
I will still go if called
Sociopath!

gameshowfandanny
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 132
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:09 pm

Re: J! to Tape Without Live Audience

Post by gameshowfandanny »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:06 pm
So what week was the most recent tape date supposed to air, if anyone knows?
The week of Memorial Day. Tomorrow and Wednesday's tapings are for June 1-5 and June 8-12, respectively. March 31 and April 1 are for June 15-19 and June 22-26. April 6 and 7 are for June 29-July 3 and July 6-10, and April 13 and 14 are for July 13-17 and July 20-24 (season finale week). So there are four weeks of taping left.

User avatar
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool
Posts: 1780
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:50 pm

Re: J! to Tape Without Live Audience

Post by triviawayne »

morbeedo wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:24 pm
triviawayne wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:59 pm
talkingaway wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:43 am
It's not worth spreading COVID for a trip to LA and an average prize of, what, about $7,000?
I will still go if called
Sociopath!
I have goals, and will achieve them, even if it kills me :D
Total game show career losings = $171,522

User avatar
MinnesotaMyron
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 2010
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:53 pm

Re: J! to Tape Without Live Audience

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

A poster on Reddit reported that they just had an audition in L.A. when they were told that they could be called today (Monday) for a taping as early as next week. It looks like they're planning to stock up on local players, should travel restrictions be beefed up.

https://old.reddit.com/r/Jeopardy/comme ... s_angeles/

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes
Posts: 9667
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: J! to Tape Without Live Audience

Post by Bamaman »

Just saw on Facebook the March 23/24 taping session has been canceled

Here is what was posted:

With the increasing concern surrounding COVID-19 and out of an abundance of caution, we have decided to temporarily suspend production on Jeopardy! and Wheel of Fortune. The health and well-being of our contestants, staff, and crew are our top priority, and we will continue to monitor the situation as it develops. Jeopardy! was scheduled to tape on Tuesday, March 23, and Wednesday, March 24, and we hope to be back in the studio soon for our scheduled March 31 and April 1 tapings.

gameshowfandanny
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 132
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:09 pm

Re: J! to Tape Without Live Audience

Post by gameshowfandanny »

Bamaman wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:43 pm
Just saw on Facebook the March 23/24 taping session has been canceled

Here is what was posted:

With the increasing concern surrounding COVID-19 and out of an abundance of caution, we have decided to temporarily suspend production on Jeopardy! and Wheel of Fortune. The health and well-being of our contestants, staff, and crew are our top priority, and we will continue to monitor the situation as it develops. Jeopardy! was scheduled to tape on Tuesday, March 23, and Wednesday, March 24, and we hope to be back in the studio soon for our scheduled March 31 and April 1 tapings.
I am assuming tomorrow and Wednesday's tapings are also canceled. There is a mistake: March 23 and 24 are Monday and Tuesday, not Tuesday and Wednesday. There is a possibility now that last week's tapings will have been the only tapings without a studio audience due to the coronavirus.

User avatar
OntarioQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews
Posts: 1364
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:01 am

Re: J! to Tape Without Live Audience

Post by OntarioQuizzer »

gameshowfandanny wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:50 pm
There is a mistake: March 23 and 24 are Monday and Tuesday, not Tuesday and Wednesday.
Depending on the studio and/or Alex's schedule, oftentimes the show will tape on a Monday/Tuesday.
Andy Saunders
Moderator, #JeopardyLivePanel
Host, Complete The List
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Site Admin - The Jeopardy! Fan

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes
Posts: 9667
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: J! to Tape Without Live Audience

Post by Bamaman »

The information I posted was copied and pasted from their Facebook page.

gameshowfandanny
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 132
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:09 pm

Re: J! to Tape Without Live Audience

Post by gameshowfandanny »

OntarioQuizzer wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:58 pm
gameshowfandanny wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:50 pm
There is a mistake: March 23 and 24 are Monday and Tuesday, not Tuesday and Wednesday.
Depending on the studio and/or Alex's schedule, oftentimes the show will tape on a Monday/Tuesday.
I know that. I was just pointing out that they made a mistake with the days of the week. Also, Monday/Tuesday tapings are sometimes done in tournaments and because Wheel is taping Wednesday/Thursday that week instead of Thursday/Friday.

Post Reply