J! to Tape Without Live Audience

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

J! to Tape Without Live Audience

Post by cinemaniax7 »

From Variety: Coronavirus Concerns Prompt ‘Jeopardy!’, ‘Wheel of Fortune’ to Tape Without Live Audiences

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/corona ... 203528383/
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: J! to Tape Without Live Audience

Post by Bamaman »

Good decision. Given that Alex is in his late 70s and has a serious illness, they really had no choice.
True North
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by True North »

I’m wondering what’s going to happen to the auditions. I’m very skeptical that they’ll go as planned at this point.
threearruda
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by threearruda »

True North wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:08 pm I’m wondering what’s going to happen to the auditions. I’m very skeptical that they’ll go as planned at this point.
It turns out Portland's have already been cancelled/postponed, per this Reddit post.

I also saw from another Reddit post that Las Vegas got added to the audition city list, but no clue if this news is related in any way.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

threearruda wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:12 pm
True North wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:08 pm I’m wondering what’s going to happen to the auditions. I’m very skeptical that they’ll go as planned at this point.
It turns out Portland's have already been cancelled/postponed, per this Reddit post.

I also saw from another Reddit post that Las Vegas got added to the audition city list, but no clue if this news is related in any way.
It is not. Vegas is part of Triviacon
Total game show career losings = $171,522
yclept

Post by yclept »

This was definitely the right thing to do. I wonder if they are going to do any kind of screening of players in queue?

Speaking of which, how many players do they have in queue? I assume the season isn’t too far from the point where they wrap up production for the season, which would be a good thing. I assume they have enough players to get through the rest of the schedule so they could postpone some auditions if need be?

What would they do if a player they have called decides they don’t want to fly out to CA due to illness fears? I assume in a unique situation like this, they would just invite the player back later? I also assume there have been instances in the past where illness, family member death, etc. has forced them to reschedule?
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Aren't the auditions typically a fairly small number of people? I thought I heard the number 21, so you could have 7 groups of 3 - and, when I was randomly searching and found a local news station's "This is what J! auditions are like" puff piece, it didn't really look like more than 40. Essentially, a J! audition is like going to a supermarket - except perhaps that people are flying in, and someone may transport the coronavirus into the audition, where it can infect others who are traveling out to other cities.

Definitely a smart idea to nix the studio audience - again, it's a coast-to-coast crowd, I imagine, so I guess that's why they're doing it. The studio's pretty small, from what I heard. Disappointing for those who have tickets, I'm sure.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

Assuming this is Alex’s last hurrah, what if this lasts the rest of the season? His last show would be a bit surreal I would think.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Unclear if contestants are allowed to invite anyone at all to be in the audience. I can see the rationale for eliminating the non-guest live audience, but I would expect contestants could bring at least 1 person for emotional support! Can anyone confirm?
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

morbeedo wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:29 am but I would expect contestants could bring at least 1 person for emotional support! Can anyone confirm?
An ESH? (Emotional support human) Only if they’ve been approved and registered and you can provide paperwork.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Golf wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:38 am
morbeedo wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:29 am but I would expect contestants could bring at least 1 person for emotional support! Can anyone confirm?
An ESH? (Emotional support human) Only if they’ve been approved and registered and you can provide paperwork.
I confirmed with someone who has an upcoming tape date that she can bring guests
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Looks like 5 weeks of taping are scheduled, 50 games. Probably 50 already in the can so this wraps up S36?
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Golf wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:27 am Assuming this is Alex’s last hurrah, what if this lasts the rest of the season? His last show would be a bit surreal I would think.
- Given that the tapings usually go until April and resume in June, it is practically certain that it will last the rest of the season.
- If his recent message is any indicator we should be hopeful Alex will be around for S37. I believe his contract goes through the end of S38 and all indications are that he's going to try to fulfill it if he is healthy enough.
Volante

Post by Volante »

Robert K S wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:51 am
Golf wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:27 am Assuming this is Alex’s last hurrah, what if this lasts the rest of the season? His last show would be a bit surreal I would think.
- Given that the tapings usually go until April and resume in June, it is practically certain that it will last the rest of the season.
- If his recent message is any indicator we should be hopeful Alex will be around for S37. I believe his contract goes through the end of S38 and all indications are that he's going to try to fulfill it if he is healthy enough.
Admittedly, situations were different, but S36 didn't start filming until late July
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
ParrotRob
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by ParrotRob »

talkingaway wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:54 am Aren't the auditions typically a fairly small number of people? I thought I heard the number 21, so you could have 7 groups of 3
Exactly 20 in my audition group. Actually, there were 40 but they broke us into two separate groups. In the mock gameplay, one person got to play twice to make 7 groups of three.
--
Drowning in the pool
DisneyFor2000Alex
Contributor

Post by DisneyFor2000Alex »

I just got the call this Tuesday to tape April 6/7, so they are still bringing in new contestants. And as of now, we can still bring guests, but they need to fill out a questionnaire about travel, etc.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

DisneyFor2000Alex wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:05 pm I just got the call this Tuesday to tape April 6/7, so they are still bringing in new contestants. And as of now, we can still bring guests, but they need to fill out a questionnaire about travel, etc.
Congratulations!!!
Total game show career losings = $171,522
dts

Post by dts »

Might be a good sign for those who have already auditioned. They could just keep bringing in people from that pool for a period of time
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

I now have my doubts as to whether they'll be able to make a "full" season. Here in Massachusetts, we can't have more than 25 people in a given place, so pretty much everything besides grocery stores and pharmacies will be closed. No restaurants with seating - everything's take-out or delivery. And I know LA now has similar restrictions, including closing "entertainment venues" (goodbye, SONY Studios), and the suggestion of isolation of people over 65 or with chronic disease (that's Alex and Johnny, at least).

Not to mention it's a really dumb idea to fly 21 people in from all across the country and fly them back 2 days later.

I know they probably have about 8 weeks of shows in the bank, but the CDC has also recommended no gatherings of over 50 people for 8 weeks. Maybe they tack on some extra dates in the summer, but I wouldn't be surprised if we get some unplanned reruns.
Volante

Post by Volante »

talkingaway wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:03 am I now have my doubts as to whether they'll be able to make a "full" season. Here in Massachusetts, we can't have more than 25 people in a given place, so pretty much everything besides grocery stores and pharmacies will be closed. No restaurants with seating - everything's take-out or delivery. And I know LA now has similar restrictions, including closing "entertainment venues" (goodbye, SONY Studios), and the suggestion of isolation of people over 65 or with chronic disease (that's Alex and Johnny, at least).

Not to mention it's a really dumb idea to fly 21 people in from all across the country and fly them back 2 days later.

I know they probably have about 8 weeks of shows in the bank, but the CDC has also recommended no gatherings of over 50 people for 8 weeks. Maybe they tack on some extra dates in the summer, but I wouldn't be surprised if we get some unplanned reruns.
Season 37 is reportedly going to start filming in May, so there's that