Wednesday, March 11, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, March 11, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by davey »

1stlvlthinker wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:33 pm Not a good day for me. Basically clammed up during the entire "Last Novels" category. Negged with "Walking Stick Insect" over stickbug...
What makes you think that's a neg? Seems like the same thing to me...
https://sciencing.com/walking-stick-bug-5093235.html
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Yep, “stick insect” is another term for them. I said Poseidon for Neptune but can’t think of a reason why it wouldn’t be acceptable. Gimme FJ tonight.
jeffwolfe
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jeffwolfe »

I am well familiar with the term "graphic novel" but I totally blanked when the clue came up.

I also said "walking stick". Is that a regional thing?
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

DBear wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:45 pm Answered 'root canal' for 'pulling teeth' :?:
Instaget FJ. :mrgreen: :geek:
Doesn't quite fit with the clue prompt...
My granddad quit dentistry because he said going to the office was "like" this excruciating 2-word idiom
"like a" root canal works, but "like" root canal, not so much.

Meanwhile, I've had a total of nine teeth pulled and they were all painless (though four of them were...creepy) so I never got those idioms. Now, if said idiom was "like drilling teeth" (even when the novocaine kicks in you still have the high pitched whine and the smell...madre de dios, the smell... :shock: )

Instafinal.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Woof wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:35 pm I said Poseidon for Neptune but can’t think of a reason why it wouldn’t be acceptable. Gimme FJ tonight.
I think I did the same - either way, when the response was given, I paused and looked it up. The wiki page for "Flag of Barbados" says "trident of Poseidon", so it's probably one of those clues where the Greek or Roman god is acceptable. If they'd put "Greek" or "Roman" in the clue, it would have pinned it, but they probably anticipated the cryptic/ambiguous (see what I did there?) response. Personally, I'm glad they left it as is - I can easily parse out Greek vs Roman gods and roots when given more than 5 seconds, but in J! time, I'm bound to say Hermes for Mercury.

For once, Alex's intonation (which 99 times out of 100 helps me) hindered me a tiny bit on FJ!. The way he said "comic books", and the way it was parsed on the first monitor with "comic" on one line and "books" on the next, I was thinking "comic" as in "funny or romantic, as opposed to tragic". Rereading the clue when it was presented during the Think! music, "comic books" was on the same line, and I realized it meant...well, a comic book, like Spider Man. Once I got that, it was an instaget.
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

mas3cf wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:44 pm Took me most of the 30 seconds to come up with the FJ...
Same here. Thought of representative titles like Art Spiegelman's Maus and Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns. Even had time to swear at myself, saying 'You know this, goddamnit!' -- and then it popped into my head. Not sure I'd have had time to scribble it, but after last week's 2/5 I'm counting this one.
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:31 pm ...a female head of Facebook was new to me.
The clue called her a bigwig, not head of Facebook. She also wrote a book called Lean In that's pretty well known.

Singers Name on a P.O. for $400 could have come up a few days earlier, amirite LLers?
In and out of the pool four times
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:31 pm Kingdome = Seattle was utterly unfamiliar to me.
Seattle is in King county, if that's at all helpful (though yes, it's a generic sounding name). I knew it from Christine Lavin's song "Sensitive New Age Guys." "Who believes us when we say we have premenstrual syndrome, / Who doesn't know who plays in the Seattle Kingdome?" (And then the SNAGs murmur among themselves, and one guesses John Tesh if I recall correctly.)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Leander wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:27 pm Laurie’s husband was on Jeopardy about a year ago, during the Holzhauer reign. Surprised it didn’t come up in the interview.

Instaget FJ.
Matthew and Laurie now have a line on their bio page for the spousal connection. Thanks for the heads up post.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 36,600
44 R/1 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Lawrence O'Donnell, Tim Berners-Lee, Methodism (DD), 1840, walking stick

"What major city is Northwestern University associated with?" is a strange choice for a DD, but whatevs.

Buck Owens Post Office, in the Bakersfield, CA suburb of Oildale, is just down the street from my aunt and uncle's house.
DBear wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:45 pm Answered 'root canal' for 'pulling teeth' :?:
"Root canal" itself isn't an idiom, and, as Volante pointed out, it's "like a root canal," but my guess is that the judges would give it to you.
Sprinkles are for winners.
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

davey wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:50 pm
1stlvlthinker wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:33 pm Not a good day for me. Basically clammed up during the entire "Last Novels" category. Negged with "Walking Stick Insect" over stickbug...
Well then, maybe I didnt so as badly as I thought.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:44 am
"What major city is Northwestern University associated with?" is a strange choice for a DD, but whatevs.
I agree. That one had me wondering if there was a catch/twist that I was missing.
Bigdogstalfos
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Bigdogstalfos »

mas3cf wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:16 am
I agree. That one had me wondering if there was a catch/twist that I was missing.
Especially when it was below the much harder, imo, Garden of Allah clue on the board.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:39 pm My prediction for the ones LSV does not get:
Spoiler

Garden of Allah
Lawrence O'Donnell
Birchbox
Walk Hard
Since four is a lot, I must be wrong on one of them.
I like this idea. As a matter of fact, I think we should create a "The Official LSV Education Thread" where we berate him if he doesn't get 100% of the revealed clues.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

To be fair Northwestern's main campus is in Evanston, so I could imagine someone negging with that.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:19 pm
To be fair Northwestern's main campus is in Evanston, so I could imagine someone negging with that.
I was thinking of that at first but then Alex said it was near a big (or similar word) city. That makes it Chicago.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

52 R (Missed Lawrence O'Donnell, Birchbox, and Walk Hard.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Garden of Allah, Gorgons, Scrollwork, Tim Berners-Lee, Chameleons, (Methodist), 1840, Robert Duvall, Stick Bug
Douglas Squasoni
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:39 pm My prediction for the ones LSV does not get:
Spoiler

Garden of Allah
Lawrence O'Donnell
Birchbox
Walk Hard
Since four is a lot, I must be wrong on one of them.
Way to call it!
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Wow, I got a clue that LSV didn't? (Walk Hard)
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Tim Berners-Lee is a TS??? I haz a sad. Another fairly simple FJ. The champ adheres to my recent conclusion about success on the show: good or better buzzer speed and success on FJ.
billiej

Post by billiej »

davey wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:50 pm
Another walking stick here.