Thursday, March 12, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, March 12, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, March 12, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
ACTORS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Speaking of his role in a 1964 film, he apologized for "the most atrocious Cockney accent in the history of cinema"

Jessica Babbitt: 11600+11600=23200 (2x = $46,598)
Dewi Harjanto: 11800-11401=399
Waseem Daher: 0

Correct response:
Spoiler
Dick Van Dyke (Dewi – Sean Connery)

Daily Doubles
Dewi: 4000+2000
Waseem: 8200-4000
Waseem: 4200-4200

Coryats
Jessica: 11600
Dewi: 10600
Waseem: 8200

Combined: 30,400

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Jessica: 5600
Dewi: 7000
Waseem: 3400
Last edited by theFJguy on Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

BEFORE & AFTER $1200: Current slang term for a scornful glance at the optometrist’s test for visual acuity

Waseem: Slant eye exam. What is slant eye exam? :o

Dewi then had to rebound with the correct side eye exam.

It's one of those categories that can unfortunately have unexpected guesses.

Yeah, nice timing writers. SCIENCE $1200: Though its name makes you think of a cold one, this outer layer of the Sun is composed of ionized gas that’s about 2 million Kelvin

After that I was expecting the FJ! clue in ACTORS to be Tom Hanks.

It was the not the players' day for "Lo" with John the Baptist's food in one category a TS and a picture of a famous diver in another unknown.

Ouch on Waseem going 0/2 on DDs to kiss 8200 goodbye.

The FJ! clue had me swing a miss as I did 1964 to My Fair Lady and wrote Rex Harrison. Fortunately, that was only one strike and as soon as I finished writing I knew who to switch to for a sure-thing swing & hit.

After Jessica won the game there was this classic moment: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1jM3zL ... hVLEGMfube
Last edited by MarkBarrett on Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Instaget FJ. I think most of us will get it.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

JayK33 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:05 am Instaget FJ. I think most of us will get it.
I got as far as "well, it must be the male lead in Mary Poppins" but didn't know who it was.
Golf

Post by Golf »

It boggles my mind that an adult human can make that FJ wager. I guess it’s just even more obvious how sub-optimal it is when there’s only two players in FJ.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Golf wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:20 pm It boggles my mind that an adult human can make that FJ wager. I guess it’s just even more obvious how sub-optimal it is when there’s only two players in FJ.
Yesterday Jessica needed to get to 22401 yet she went to 23398 to hint at larger than necessary wagering which once again happened today.

Dewi returning tomorrow with $399 would have been the oddball kind of thing that does happen sometimes.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Thanks to a mention in the Reretaken Down thread I have given Jessica a line in her bio for winning $10,600 (including $7,500 trip to Romania) on WoF in 2018.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:04 am BEFORE & AFTER $1200: Current slang term for a scornful glance at the optometrist’s test for visual acuity

Waseem: Slant eye exam. What is slant eye exam? :o
One of those awkward moments when it's best to just move along, nothing to see here.

Don't bet it all! Leave a couple of bucks so you can play Fin...damnit. Then again, Chihuahua wasn't that hard a clue (neither was 'pike', for that matter), so he shouldn't have been in that spot to begin with.

Instaget FJ.

Thanks for the clip, Mark. The second he said rabbit I immediately started laughing and didn't hear the rest :lol:
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Someone else who won on Wheel a couple years ago getting some headway on J! too? Is this another sign? Please let it be a sign. I don't care if there are only four people in the studio when I'm on.

====

Ran the TV Talk category.

Current British Royals seems like such a pointless category. To me it seems like asking a British person if they know Trump's third cousin's sister's barber's neighbor's third grade teacher's pet cat.

Slate = election was new to me.

What was the TOM for House of Representatives in Court for $400? That whole category was absolute gibberish to me.

I bit down hard on the "Triassic" negbait. That was HUGE HUGE HUGE HUGE HUGE negbait.

Too literal on "bottom of the lake", figuring Chicago had to be right since it's at the bottom of Lake Michigan. And I actually know of Fond du Lac and its meaning.

Atrocious Cockney accent = Dick van Dyke in Mary Poppins. Instaget.

Lach Trash: locusts, Edgar Rice Burroughs, St. Louis, Greg Louganis. Also got the Chihuahua DD.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Am I missing something? How could Edward I confirm the Magna Carta when it was from the later King John's reign? :? :? :?
Guessed John Wayne for FJ. :lol: Hell, he played Genghis Khan, why not a Cockney?
MDaunt
Weighed in the balance and found wanting

Post by MDaunt »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:04 am The FJ! clue had me swing a miss as I did 1964 to My Fair Lady and wrote Rex Harrison. Fortunately, that was only one strike and as soon as I finished writing I knew who to switch to for a sure-thing swing & hit.
To be fair, Audrey Hepburn could have apologized, too.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Coryat $42,400 (49R, 2W)
DD 3/3
FJ :(

Also bit on Triassic... poll request?

In hindsight, Rex Harrison wouldn't have been a horrible guess for FJ. He won Best Actor for playing Henry Higgins in My Fair Lady (1964). Only problem is, Eliza Doolittle was the Cockney....
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:52 pm
What was the TOM for House of Representatives in Court for $400? That whole category was absolute gibberish to me.
420-1. What other body do you know of which has that many members? Sadly, I couldn't pull the trigger in time, thinking it might have been House of Commons or something like that, but when the answer was revealed, it was a duh moment.

Should have had FJ, but just couldn't come up with it. Not a good day for me again.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

1stlvlthinker wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:43 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:52 pm
420-1. What other body do you know of which has that many members?
The express lane at Walmart?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

The slant eye thing sounds bad but I can see someone coming up with that trying to parse a before/after clue on the fly. Corona is one of those that will probably become a twitter phenomenon.

I read an article a couple weeks ago about bad movie accents and Van Dyke was mentioned as one of the worst offenders. He said he didn’t know it was bad at the time because none of the British people on the set said anything.

Interesting we had a corona clue in a game with Dick Van Dyke as FJ. There is a coronavirus lockdown in New Rochelle, which is where his TV show was set.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I was all over Alex for trying to neg 'viewership'. I'm glad that was a quick turnaround on that one.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

I have very rarely jumped all over a FJ clue like a dog on a bone the way I did with this one. Had the darned answer written down pretty much before AT was through reading. High degree of confidence. Real high.

Wait...you mean they weren't referring to Michael Caine in Alfie?! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Anyone else out there go that direction? Anyone?

poop
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

mas3cf wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:20 pm
In hindsight, Rex Harrison wouldn't have been a horrible guess for FJ. He won Best Actor for playing Henry Higgins in My Fair Lady (1964). Only problem is, Eliza Doolittle was the Cockney....

It's not the worst guess - perhaps Henry Higgins was "showing" Eliza what her accent sounded like? It's not a guess I'd ever make, because Rex Harrison = Henry Higgins isn't cemented in my brain...well, it is now.

I am in uncharted waters here. I am 4/4 this week. I started off the season with a :oops: :D :D :D :D , and I think that's my longest run. I have never checked the Golden Box. Maybe this week? Dare I dream? It was an easy get for me, since in my 7th grade Disney Spectacular (way back in 1990), I was the role of Winnie the Pooh...AND Chimney Sweep #2.

Sean Connery isn't an awful guess. Although 1964 could be pointing you to a year (as it did here), it might be an "era", and that's definitely the Connery Bond era - Goldfinger, in fact. Who knows - again, maybe Bond is undercover in the movie and speaks cockney. But it'd have to be famous enough to be a FJ! clue - and probably the main famous thing from that movie is "I expect you to die."

Anyone else coinflip on Salk/Sabin? I hit the right side of the coin for once, simply because Salk is more well-known. I guess in retrospect the year is the big clue - mid-50s would be the earlier, IPV. The Sabin, OPV didn't come out until the 60s.

I after the first couple of clues in the bible/food category, I precalled "manna from heaven". Didn't think it would sink to the bottom row, though.