Monday, March 16, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2697
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:11 am

Re: Monday, March 16, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by John Boy »

econgator wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:30 pm
No guess here. I was trying to think of something that required a lot more water than a rain shower.
Yeah, that. I thought about a 50-ish movie with a big scene at Niagara Falls, IIRC with Marilyn Monroe...Seven Year Itch? Anyway, quickly dismissed that as "didn't seem quite right" and managed to get to the right movie with time to spare.

John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2697
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:11 am

Re: Monday, March 16, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by John Boy »

floridagator wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:30 pm
I enjoyed Jessica's run but I must say I was cheering for Katz today. He seemed stronger on serious stuff and weaker on the fluff. That made me wonder if he would prevail when I saw the category was movie musicals. Then it occurred to me that movie musicals referred to very old movies, and you can figure the rest.
I thought Katz would lose it late in the DJ round when the champ made a strong move. But he was a beast on "Old Guy" material and used that edge to pull away. I look forward to seeing him defend.

User avatar
floridagator
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1443
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:39 am

Re: Monday, March 16, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by floridagator »

John Boy wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:01 pm
econgator wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:30 pm
No guess here. I was trying to think of something that required a lot more water than a rain shower.
Yeah, that. I thought about a 50-ish movie with a big scene at Niagara Falls, IIRC with Marilyn Monroe...Seven Year Itch? Anyway, quickly dismissed that as "didn't seem quite right" and managed to get to the right movie with time to spare.
"Niagara"
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.

MattKnowles
selwonKttaM
Posts: 528
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:33 pm

Re: Monday, March 16, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by MattKnowles »

Last week I made myself watch Mary Poppins and now I'm watching Singin' in the Rain.

Potassium is number 19. I caught that as it aired but wasn't completely sure and had to double check. That Fortnite clue was really difficult. I should have been able to get Wuthering Heights and The Stranger but I missed them both. I read Wuthering Heights but didn't like it that much. I haven't read The Stranger but read the synopsis recently and Camus' other very famous work, The Plague, is next on my reading list.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.

User avatar
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal
Posts: 1828
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:55 am
Location: Missouri

Re: Monday, March 16, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Linear Gnome »

Dumb question: at least two posters have referred to Sid as "Katz". Is there some reference I'm missing?

The Potassium mistake is a serious one (regardless of its effect on the outcome), and I'm a little ashamed that I didn't notice it in real time--the periodic table is in my wheelhouse, though I don't think about it as often as I used to.

Movie Musicals is another wheelhouse category, though I'm stronger on the "musicals" aspect and the more recent ones; still pretty much an instaget.

User avatar
econgator
Let's Go Mets!
Posts: 8683
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:32 am

Re: Monday, March 16, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by econgator »

Linear Gnome wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:45 pm
Dumb question: at least two posters have referred to Sid as "Katz". Is there some reference I'm missing
His name is Sid Katz.

talkingaway
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 639
Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:59 am

Re: Monday, March 16, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by talkingaway »

I was a chem major, and I'll admit, I didn't notice the potassium error, either, and even if I had been asked to proof the clue without any references, I would have missed it. Granted, when I play along, I tend to quickly translate the clue into a normal question as quickly as possible, including all their "cutsey" clues. As soon as I saw "K" and "radioactive element", it had to be potassium, because I knew the fact that "bananas are lightly radioactive". Due to all that info swirling around, the 40 went over my head.

In fact, periodic table numbers (whether atomic numbers or weights) aren't too common. Hydrogen (deuterium and tritium) and helium are fair game, as are a few major isotopes - carbon 12 and 13, and uranium 235 should probably clear up most of "pure chemical number" clues. Everything else might have an atomic number or weight in the clue, but it's just to pin it. In this case, if you eliminate the "atomic number 40" clause, there could be another silvery metal with a radioactive isotope. In fact, I'm sure there are plenty. And since "Oh, K" isn't part of the pinning, but really more of a "light clue", it wouldn't eliminate, say, uranium, which is also a radioactive silver metal.

That said, yeah, in retrospect, there are definitely not 39 elements "before" potassium on the periodic table, so I should have caught it. And I think they'd have to give credit to zirconium - it's silver, and there seem to be some radioactive isotopes of it, although the half-life is very, very long.

User avatar
Lefty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1017
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:49 pm

Re: Monday, March 16, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Lefty »

econgator wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:55 pm
Linear Gnome wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:45 pm
Dumb question: at least two posters have referred to Sid as "Katz". Is there some reference I'm missing
His name is Sid Katz.
Ooh, nice! A little insidery though, no?

My first thought in FJ was this scene from "Dangerous When Wet" (1953, as it happens, though I couldn't remember the title anyway). I don't think there is any singing in this particular scene, but I'm not sure because the headphone tip snapped off in my audio jack and I can't listen. I plan to try the Crazy glue plus Bic pen tube technique once I have the right supplies, unless anyone here knows a better method.
I'm smart and I want respect.

User avatar
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal
Posts: 1828
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:55 am
Location: Missouri

Re: Monday, March 16, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Linear Gnome »

econgator wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:55 pm
Linear Gnome wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:45 pm
Dumb question: at least two posters have referred to Sid as "Katz". Is there some reference I'm missing
His name is Sid Katz.
I knew that.

ACW
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 503
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:50 pm

Re: Monday, March 16, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by ACW »

floridagator wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:30 pm
I've always understood the rule on Jeopardy to be that you are not penalized if you fix a grammatical error for example by changing Singin to singing but you are in trouble if you drop a g, such as changing Waiting for Godot to Waitin' for Godot. Heaven Help me if I ever get on the show and Final Jeopardy asks about You've Lost That Loving Feelin'.
Dumb rule IMO. If Waitin' for Godot was ruled incorrect (IMO it should), then so should Singing (I'm more lenient about forgetting the apostrophe). Or if you're gonna allow one, allow both, grammar be damned.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 6868
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: Monday, March 16, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by seaborgium »

ACW wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:11 pm
floridagator wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:30 pm
I've always understood the rule on Jeopardy to be that you are not penalized if you fix a grammatical error for example by changing Singin to singing but you are in trouble if you drop a g, such as changing Waiting for Godot to Waitin' for Godot. Heaven Help me if I ever get on the show and Final Jeopardy asks about You've Lost That Loving Feelin'.
Dumb rule IMO. If Waitin' for Godot was ruled incorrect (IMO it should), then so should Singing (I'm more lenient about forgetting the apostrophe). Or if you're gonna allow one, allow both, grammar be damned.
It's a one-way street (so Waitin for Waiting is not the same as Singing for Singin'): in (with or without apostrophe) can never be pronounced ing, but ing can be pronounced in.

User avatar
AFRET CMS
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 1055
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:48 pm
Location: Colorado

Re: Monday, March 16, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by AFRET CMS »

talkingaway wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:59 pm
floridagator wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:30 pm

I've always understood the rule on Jeopardy to be that you are not penalized if you fix a grammatical error for example by changing Singin to singing but you are in trouble if you drop a g, such as changing Waiting for Godot to Waitin' for Godot. Heaven Help me if I ever get on the show and Final Jeopardy asks about You've Lost That Loving Feelin'.
We're allowed to fix grammatical errors? Cool! I can't wait to answer a clue about a Lady Gaga song with "You and Me". (Yes, it's niche, but it's funny because it always bugged me when it was on the radio.)
Sometimes I guess we can fix grammar errors retroactively with a suspect but plausible-sounding explanation. Paul McCartney's Live and Let Die has a line that always made me grit my teeth, where he sings about "the world in which we live in." A few years ago he was asked about it in an interview, and he said his accent made people miss an "R" he said he pronounced. McCartney's position is that the lyrics are actually sung as, "the world in which we're livin' " with a barely-audible "R" and a dropped "G". I immediately listened to the song line several times. I don't buy it.

Just like I don't buy George Lucas's retro-explanation of how "making the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs" actually makes sense. But that's a discussion for a different thread......
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.

User avatar
billiej
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 708
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:56 pm
Location: Maine

Re: Monday, March 16, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by billiej »

AFRET CMS wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:29 pm
McCartney's position is that the lyrics are actually sung as, "the world in which we're livin' " with a barely-audible "R" and a dropped "G".
Now see, that's the way I've always heard it. But then I live in a place where "r"s and "g"s are optional.

User avatar
LucarioSnooperVixey
Darling Sillyclaws
Posts: 1475
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:41 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: Monday, March 16, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

55 R (Missed Gritty and Roy Cohn.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Fortnite, 15th Century, Nexus, Stone Temple Pilots, Subcontracted, Dateless, Wuthering Heights, The Stranger
Douglas Squasoni
QuizUp: 132.1k games
Alpaca Farm: 1508 quizzes

User avatar
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 10844
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: Monday, March 16, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by MarkBarrett »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:16 pm
55 R (Missed Gritty and Roy Cohn.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Fortnite, 15th Century, Nexus, Stone Temple Pilots, Subcontracted, Dateless, Wuthering Heights, The Stranger
Third time's the charm? viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5055&start=20#p300611

ACW
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 503
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:50 pm

Re: Monday, March 16, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by ACW »

seaborgium wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:33 pm
ACW wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:11 pm
floridagator wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:30 pm
I've always understood the rule on Jeopardy to be that you are not penalized if you fix a grammatical error for example by changing Singin to singing but you are in trouble if you drop a g, such as changing Waiting for Godot to Waitin' for Godot. Heaven Help me if I ever get on the show and Final Jeopardy asks about You've Lost That Loving Feelin'.
Dumb rule IMO. If Waitin' for Godot was ruled incorrect (IMO it should), then so should Singing (I'm more lenient about forgetting the apostrophe). Or if you're gonna allow one, allow both, grammar be damned.
It's a one-way street (so Waitin for Waiting is not the same as Singing for Singin'): in (with or without apostrophe) can never be pronounced ing, but ing can be pronounced in.
I mean, I guess? But the title is "Singin'". Does Gene Kelly actually "I'm singinG in the rain. Just singinG in the rain"?

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 6868
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: Monday, March 16, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by seaborgium »

ACW wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:50 pm
seaborgium wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:33 pm
ACW wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:11 pm
floridagator wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:30 pm
I've always understood the rule on Jeopardy to be that you are not penalized if you fix a grammatical error for example by changing Singin to singing but you are in trouble if you drop a g, such as changing Waiting for Godot to Waitin' for Godot. Heaven Help me if I ever get on the show and Final Jeopardy asks about You've Lost That Loving Feelin'.
Dumb rule IMO. If Waitin' for Godot was ruled incorrect (IMO it should), then so should Singing (I'm more lenient about forgetting the apostrophe). Or if you're gonna allow one, allow both, grammar be damned.
It's a one-way street (so Waitin for Waiting is not the same as Singing for Singin'): in (with or without apostrophe) can never be pronounced ing, but ing can be pronounced in.
I mean, I guess? But the title is "Singin'". Does Gene Kelly actually "I'm singinG in the rain. Just singinG in the rain"?
Yes, and you can pronounce "singing" as "singin." You can't pronounce "waitin" as "waiting."

User avatar
alietr
Site Admin
Posts: 7107
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Bethesda, MD

Re: Monday, March 16, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by alietr »

billiej wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:07 pm
AFRET CMS wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:29 pm
McCartney's position is that the lyrics are actually sung as, "the world in which we're livin' " with a barely-audible "R" and a dropped "G".
Now see, that's the way I've always heard it. But then I live in a place where "r"s and "g"s are optional nonexistent.
FTFY.

User avatar
BigDaddyMatty
Save Me, Maggie!
Posts: 2983
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:05 am
Location: Wherever I May Roam
Contact:

Re: Monday, March 16, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 32,600
44 R/4 W
DD: 2/2
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Stone Temple Pilots, dateless

Clues Across America is just above the fake soap opera dialogue categories in the battle for Worst J! Timesuck Category.

1950s movie musical with a scene dependent on water pressure? Gotta be the one with rain in the title.

I blanked on the Yalu River and couldn't place which Victorian Era novel-by-a-female-author Mr. Earnshaw is from.
MarkBarrett wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:03 am
For the audience signs held up at the opening the best I could make out was Taft College [image of the cougar mascot] Love You Alex on one side and Jeopardy logo and image on the other side.
One of the many colleges I dropped out of!
Sprinkles are for winners.

A Wray
Valued Contributor
Posts: 78
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:54 am

Re: Monday, March 16, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by A Wray »

I think it's important to point out that:

1) Singin' vs. singing has nothing to do with "grammar," and singin' isn't an "error" — it's an informal/dialectal pronunciation variant; and

2) "Dropping the g" is a total misnomer, since there is no /g/ sound in the -ing suffix. The letters ng represent the single sound /ŋ/, and someone who "drops the g" is substituting /n/ for /ŋ/. As Seaborgium says, this is a normal pronunciation, and according to Merriam-Webster it wasn't deprecated until well into the 20th century. The judges have been both consistent and logical on this matter.

Post Reply