Tuesday, March 17, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, March 17, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, March 17, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
U.N. MEMBERS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
It incorporated the "one country, two systems" principle in its constitution in 1982 & put it into practice after a 1997 reunification

Sid Katz: 16600-3400=13200
Nicole Economou: 9800-6801=2999
Kris Sunderic: 9600+7001=16601 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
China (Sid – Germany) (Nicole – Czech Republic)

Daily Doubles
Kris: 0+1000
Kris: 4200-4200
Sid: 7000+2000

Coryats
Sid: 16200
Nicole: 9800
Kris: 13600

Combined: 39,600

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Sid: 4600
Nicole: 3000
Kris: 2600
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I saw the picture of the Van Halen singer and marked my correct response before all of the extra clue wordage was added. Wrong crowd today for that one. But who am I to judge as I saw, "Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes" and blanked on placing the lyrics to the guy.

Kris and his chat about being on state championship pub trivia teams had me expecting defeat as usually such stories don't bode well for success on the J! stage. Credit to Kris for recovering from a 4200-4200 DD2 to get the sole solve and the win.

Sid needed 3001 more for a lock. At DD3 he did 7000+2000 which is typical. With his opponents at 5000 & 400 it would not be expected to see someone do 5000 or more to risk falling out of the lead.

The FJ! category had me messing around with precalls about Security Council members or new members. The clue had me gliding by the right area as I briefly thought about Macau & Hong Kong. Along the varied roads I thought of Germany, Vietnam, Korea, and Yugoslavia. When came time to writing something, anything, I went off the sheet with Rwanda. Not my kind of clue which fits since yesterday was much more to my liking.

For the BMS game just Caesar was fine.

Kris had to endure a scoring change of 11200 and in second place after the DJ! round to an adjustment to 9600 and third place before the FJ! clue reveal. It's only fair that the judges busted Kris for giving a country when the clue wanted the language.

Kris was all over the place today and a game's worth of experience may help him settle down at the champ's spot tomorrow as his buzzer work seemed to be improving as he went along.
Charis
Contributor

Post by Charis »

This game was the most entertaining of all the seven games I saw in person on Jan. 14-15. Quite a dramatic comeback for Kris.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Now that the game is archived I can see that Sid can point to another place he lost the game beside his DD3 wager. After clue 22 of what turned out to be 29, Sid had a lock in place with 16600 to 5800 to 5200. That was the last time Sid was heard from over those remaining 7 clues. After clue 27 the runaway was still there with Nicole at 7800 and Kris at 8000. Nicole added 2000 on clue 28 and Kris got the 1600 clue that ended the round.

Even a little bit more action from Sid on the buzzer could have saved him. I guess it's kind of funny that the game earlier had an "Always be closing" in the ABC category. Sid failed to do that.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

The coverage of the Hong Kong protests over the past year have used the phrase "One country, two systems" a lot.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

0/5 in That's Old School. Yale = CT is another Pavlov that utterly refuses to stick in my head. It just doesn't SOUND like it should be in CT, which doesn't even seem big enough to have a college.

"Quiet Beatle" = Harrison was utterly new to me. I actually knew David Lee Roth, but completely blanked on his name.

ABC for $600 felt like it was way too wide open. I WAGged baseball which seemed far more cromulent than "bowling", which IMO is not a sport.

Gal Gadot is definitely an NHOI for me. But despite bombing that category, I otherwise did decently in DJ!

1997 reunification was leading my brain absolutely nowhere. I honestly thought China couldn't be wronger if he had tried, but somehow it was right. Go fig.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

I don’t really know Kris, but I won his pub trivia night with woof and H-bomb, pre COVID-19

I thought for sure he was a goner after slipping to third place, but it ain’t over til it’s over

Barnard is a name I learned from the Trivial Pursuit game. I made sure to pause and say the name correctly, fearing a ruling against “Bernard” (Jeffrey Wright’s character on Westworld)

I fully expected a reversal on “alcoholic” without “beverages” in ABC and I wanted the full name of Ms. Gadot in ALLITERATIVE ACTRESSES
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

The year 1997 should have been a red flag (pun intended) for me. But no - for some reason, I didn't think of China, even though I read recently that "China" is one of the most common correct J! responses. Also, when I initially learned about when Hong Kong was to be returned to the Chinese, I thought that the original date was to be in 1999, and it somehow got renegotiated to 1997...but I guess I was wrong, or I mixed up Hong Kong with Macau.

As a last ditch, I put down South Africa, thinking perhaps the "reunification" of the country after apartheid had officially ended around 1990-1, and maybe it took a few extra years to really gel? I vaguely knew that it took awhile for Mandela to become President, and while 1997 seemed too long, it was the only country I could shoehorn in within the 30 second limit.

I knew Germany was dead wrong, since that was late 1989, with official reunification happening within the next year and the failed East German state basically being absorbed into West Germany. (Sorry, historians, I'm sure I'm oversimplifying everything, and perhaps I'm wildly inaccurate.) And Czechoslovakia (which was recently a correct answer that got negged with Czech Republic) was the opposite of reunification, splitting into the Czech Republic and Slovakia - home of the hockey puck.

Shout out to SNL, for providing two correct responses: the Finger Lakes region (ann-a-one ann-a-two) and ABC (classic Alec Baldwin Christmas elf flub - always be cobbling!)
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I've only seen the last part of the game since the first part was pre-empted in my Market for coronavirus coverage. I've set my satellite receiver to record it from the West Coast at that hour later tonight but for all I know coverage from the West Coast will also be preempted for coronavirus coverage.

The innominate situation, as I call it, is when the second-place contestant is trying to get over 50% but the third-place contestant suddenly comes to life and keeps the second-place contestant from doing that.

I was very closely watching for the innominate situation to occur when the champ had a lock and the female contestant was struggling to get over 50% of him. It nearly happened, but Chris rose very rapidly to take over second place and got above 50%. The female contestant also succeeding in getting over 50%. Then inexplicably there was a delayed reversal. I anticipated a reversal immediately but when it didn't happen, I thought the judges would let it pass. Just imagine if only Chris had gotten above 50% and then the delayed reversal put him below 50%. That would seem like an unfair situation, especially since I and presumably millions of others immediately heard that he had responded with the name of the country instead of the language.

As I said yesterday, the champ did better on the serious stuff than on the fluff, but he seemed to completely lose his game toward the end of Double Jeopardy. As I noted with the scores and the reversal, it could have made all the difference if he had rung in correctly with even two Clues at the end of double jeopardy.
Last edited by floridagator on Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
davey

Post by davey »

morbeedo wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:43 pm
Barnard is a name I learned from the Trivial Pursuit game. I made sure to pause and say the name correctly, fearing a ruling against “Bernard” (Jeffrey Wright’s character on Westworld)
I doubt that would get a neg. It's not like the emphasis is on that syllable as in the NYC college. That was a tough clue for a young person, I thought. It's not a name you hear often today.
Sid's harpoonist was accepted but Melville's word is harpooneer (137 times) and once, harpooner (my response). Maybe that's a typo at Gutenberg...I was disappointed that one of my favorite names in fiction didn't make it on - the harpooneer Ishmael sleeps with - QUEEQUEG.
I knew "one country, two systems" was a Chinese thing, but I thought it was the way they explained away Taiwan, so the rest of the clue made no sense. Hong Kong never occurred to me... :oops: I should have written China down anyway, since I had nothing better!
alamble

Post by alamble »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:32 pm
Gal Gadot is definitely an NHOI for me.
Presumably you have not seen either any of the Fast and Furious films, or the more recent DC movies, in which she plays Wonder Woman.

Incidentally, as she is Israeli and not French, the T in her last name is not silent.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Yesterday, I had my back turned on the TV for most of the game, so I did not notice how much Sid looked like a bispectacled Clint Eastwood.
All he needs is a wide brimmed hat, a poncho and a blunt between his teeth.

Little did Sid know that he could have secured the win with a $2 final wager, so long as he got it correct.
Which is why I recommended a 7003 minimal wager from Kris. Would have loved to see him do that and Nichole also getting it correct.

At least Sid redeemed himself for the poor wager he made Monday, this time allowing for a win on a TS.
Last edited by Category 13 on Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

I said Hong Kong and should have paid more attention to the category. I missed "ABC" with "American Broadcasting Corporation" instead of company. I watched the show on ABC...

14/28 first round. 24/29 second round. I'm assuming Matlin counts since they accepted Gadot.

After hearing "Rohingya" pronounced I questioned my pronunciation and Googled it. It looks like Kris and I were both way off.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Good FJ clue. We all should have gotten it but it had lots of detours. I should have stayed with China but I was (am) confused about the Hong Kong / Taiwan situation. I knew about the 1997 turnover because i heard Maggie Thatcher speak about it in our town a few years ahead of it. She explained "rule of law" a dozen times. I finally just said Bosnia-Herzegovina to have two countries.

I'm glad Kris won and overcame the DD2 beatdown and careless Portugal answer. If Alex doesn't accept that answer so quickly, he might have spat out Portuguese before getting negged.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

MattKnowles wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:41 pm I said Hong Kong and should have paid more attention to the category. I missed "ABC" with "American Broadcasting Corporation" instead of company. I watched the show on ABC...
Up until ABC was taken over by Disney, the network's parent company was called "American Broadcasting Companies, Inc." (and the shows produced by the network were copyrighted under that name).
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I can't be the only one who had Cyprus for FJ?
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

trainman wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:46 am
MattKnowles wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:41 pm I said Hong Kong and should have paid more attention to the category. I missed "ABC" with "American Broadcasting Corporation" instead of company. I watched the show on ABC...
Up until ABC was taken over by Disney, Capital Cities the network's parent company was called "American Broadcasting Companies, Inc." (and the shows produced by the network were copyrighted under that name).
Ftfy
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

I also said Bosnia and Herzegovina. This is looking like a low percentage on the weekend poll...