Wednesday, March 18, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, March 18, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, March 18, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
FAIRS & EXPOSITIONS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
To celebrate the 500th anniversary of a major event, Seville, Spain & Genoa, Italy both had expositions in this year

Kris Sunderic: 9600-3600=6000
Emmy Crawford: 6400+6200=12600
Andrea Dragan: 12600+6601=19201 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
1992 (Kris – 1492)

Daily Doubles
Emmy: 2800-2800
Kris: 8200-3000
Emmy: 4600+3000

Coryats
Kris: 12600
Emmy: 7800
Andrea: 12600

Combined: 33,000

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Kris: 6600
Emmy: 1400
Andrea: 2200
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The opening was unusual with a replay of Kris and his winning reaction from yesterday.

A day late for the Irish song though more than a dollar short with first a botched title neg and then no rebound.

At DD2 Kris led 8200 to 2200 to 1400. He lost 3000 and had trouble trying to make up ground as Andrea got better on the buzzer.

The FJ! category had me thinking Seattle-Space Needle & Chicago- Ferris wheel. The clue had me match Andrea & Emmy for a no-doubter as I learned in grade school how to add 500 to a 4-digit number. Kris paid a fair price of losing $1000 for blowing that clue and even with a solve he still loses the match.

What Kris does not lose is the title of J! champ and based on his comments on Reddit it means a lot to him.

Winning was special to Andrea as she wiped away a tear or two while fighting back more with the ending shot of three contestants shown.

Five clues from five categories were not seen though all top box to reduce the overall amount lost.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

I wonder if Kris was thinking of the Battle of Conquereuil? Where conquering was invented.
I'm smart and I want respect.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Poor Kris misread the clue... the only sort of saving grace is that he wouldn't have won anyway....
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

While watching the game I kept getting a remind-alike from Andrea and I finally figured it out: Laura "Lady Edith" Carmichael

The U.S. might be in a bear market while the champ's spot is in a bull market in the voice department.
AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

being aired so early over here (12:30 pm EDT) means 2 1/4 of the 3 games this week have been preempted. :(
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Alex made it sound like Kris didn’t know it when I think he just misread the clue.

Kids Week FJ.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Coryat $33,800 (38R, 1W)
DD 1/3
FJ :mrgreen:

DD1 very much sounded like Carl Sagan to me. Was there TOM for Einstein that flew over my head?

Would have gotten Newfoundland if they hadn't thrown "canine" in there... I didn't know what it had to do with dogs.

This episode was very heavy in entertainment/lit/pop culture. I was satisfied just to be able to put together a non-horrific stat line.

"Kids week FJ" is exactly what I said to my wife.....
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Have they ever done a flashback clip like that before?

Total goose-egg in TV Stars and Biographies & Memoirs for me. Made up for it by running Translated Cities and Stagey Dialogue, though.

Similar pattern in DJ! Ran Classic Songs, but I recognized literally nothing in Places in Fantasy.

Orange Is the New Black was a book?!

All but the top box in Life. I thought that category was upside-down. "Messenger RNA" seemed IMO far more obscure than "large intestine".

I literally couldn't think of something that would have occurred roughly 500 years ago that would have involved Spain and Italy. All I could figure was maybe it was some famous battle that everyone except for me has heard of. Even after 1992 came up, I said out loud, "what the hell happened between Spain and Italy in 1492?" because i was so fixated on it being something war related or otherwise pitting those two countries against each other.

Lach Trash: essen, Arizona, Gutenberg Bible, "When Irish Eyes Are Smiling".
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Happy to say I read the FJ! clue three times, just to make sure I didn't make the same mistake that Kris did. But c'mon - something that happened at least 500 years ago, involving Spain and Italy? It helps that the vocal Italian population in the North End of Boston typically have a big parade for Columbus day, to cement "Columbus is Italian" in my head. Kris' goof was unfortunate, but at least it didn't cost him a win - only $1,000.

I don't know what I was thinking of when I responded with "Hindenberg" to a clue involving a 1906 disaster - I knew that was at least 3 decades off. At least I wasn't on stage, giving my fellow contestants the correct response to the very next clue.

Five clues unrevealed, PLUS the episode in general seemed very choppy in editing. Or maybe I just noticed it. I guess the flashback at the opening of the episode took more time than we thought.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

mas3cf wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:01 pm Coryat $33,800 (38R, 1W)
DD 1/3
FJ :mrgreen:

DD1 very much sounded like Carl Sagan to me. Was there TOM for Einstein that flew over my head?

Would have gotten Newfoundland if they hadn't thrown "canine" in there... I didn't know what it had to do with dogs.

This episode was very heavy in entertainment/lit/pop culture. I was satisfied just to be able to put together a non-horrific stat line.

"Kids week FJ" is exactly what I said to my wife.....

I think DD1 was truly YEKIOYD. Sagan seems a very plausible guess, in retrospect. I also said Hawking, and no, I don't believe there was anything in the clue to lead you toward or away from any of those guys (or possibly others), except of course knowing it.

Newfoundland (or "Newfie") is also a dog breed.

And yeah, way too much pop culture for my liking.

And really, truly, yeah, Kid's Week FJ. (which the champ certainly knew, but missed because he misread what the clue was asking for) (and I'm also very glad that didn't cost him the victory).
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I utterly disagree with "Kids' Week FJ!" Nothing in the clue implied that it was comparatively recent, so it could've been something that happened 500 years prior to 2020, 2002, 1992, 1892, 1692, 1492, 492, or 16 AD. And if you thought the way I did, you could get snagged trying to think of maybe Spain and Italy had a big or not-so-big battle between the two of them at some point.

I agree that DD1 was very YEKIOYD. When Alex said "the other one" I was like "there are like 60 names that could fit that!"

Newfoundland was an evil clue since "canine" pushed me toward Labrador.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

TPH wrote: Newfoundland was an evil clue since "canine" pushed me toward Labrador.
Count me as answering Labrador. I was shocked when Kris was ruled incorrect.
AntmanB wrote: being aired so early over here (12:30 pm EDT) means 2 1/4 of the 3 games this week have been preempted. :(
That's been the case for The Price Is Right where I live. The show starts at 11:00 am and they break in at 11:05. Like it just couldn't wait until the noon time news hour. :evil:
I don't think the local affiliates have any idea how many people they are pissing off.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Easy money for the taking in Fantasy Places. :geek:
WTH does the Mandela Effect even mean? The category was interesting, but what does the title have to do with anything? :?
FJ:. Spain + Genoa x 500th anniversary = WECIB. :mrgreen:
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

DBear wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:00 pm
WTH does the Mandela Effect even mean? The category was interesting, but what does the title have to do with anything?
It's a very silly conspiracy theory that some people take very seriously. Basically it takes the fact that many people seem to have the same false memories (the classic examples include Berenstain Bears being spelled as Berenstein Bears, Sinbad appearing as a genie in a movie called Shazam!, and reading a obituary of Nelson Mandela long before he actually died), and depending on the conspiracy theorist, takes it in some weird direction (like time travel being proven, or the CIA/Satan editing our collective memories).
davey

Post by davey »

Walter Isaacson's books are big best-sellers. (Though I admit I haven't read them. I've read the reviews.). The problem was choosing between his subjects - "His Universe" made me think of Vitruvian Man. But Isaacson's book on Leonardo has no subtitle. It took me another second to think of the stronger implications of the phrase - a second too late... :roll:
The need to do even simple math for an FJ makes me feel like a kid, so I'm not complaining about the age level of this one, especially since I pulled it off... ;)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Category 13 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:30 pm I don't think the local affiliates have any idea how many people they are pissing off.
WNEM until a couple years ago was like that. They'd pre-empt several times a year for literally anything. I had not one, but THREE completely unannounced Time-Life infomercials displace Wheel the week my episode aired (thankfully mine was not pre-empted). They would also run random unannounced specials on a local hospital, a lottery game show, a "winter weather report", and all kinds of random nonsense. Always unannounced, always without the pre-empted show getting re-broadcast later. Their social media would be jam-packed with complaints every single time, and literally none of those complaints would ever be heeded. I had e-mailed and called them several times and never heard back once.

They must have finally gotten new management or something, because within the past couple years, literally every single pre-emption has been announced in advance, and almost always with the affected show getting aired at a later time.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

I missed a lot of clues. I know the Titanic was in 1912 but I briefly and inconveniently forgot that when the San Francisco Fire clue came up.

Canine threw me off for Newfoundland. I knew which one of Newfoundland & Labrador was the island but I tried to think of a different Canadian island.

Messenger RNA was in the top row but it seems like the hardest clue in the category. It looked like mRNA wasn't immediately accepted but I can't tell if that was intentional or if the hesitation was because Kris kept speaking.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.