Monday, March 23, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

alietr
Site Admin

Re: Monday, March 23, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by alietr »

All in the Familly. Hmmm ... Maude? Nah, All in the Family.

Personally, I thought the Fawlty Towers response was pretty darn funny.
threearruda
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by threearruda »

1stlvlthinker wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:58 pm How often does the leader A) fail to make a cover wager, and B) get FJ right and still lose because of said wager?
I guess the follow up question is how often does 2nd place actually go for the double?
Can't be that often, right?
No more than a few times a season would be my guess. Off the top of my head, I can think of eight instances since 2015, and I'm sure there are more that I've forgotten. The most famous example might be Seth Wilson losing his 13th game in this way.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
DanKirshner
Contributor

Post by DanKirshner »

In my quarantine binge tv watching, I just saw a biography of Norman Lear. Easy final for me.
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

threearruda wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:36 am
1stlvlthinker wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:58 pm How often does the leader A) fail to make a cover wager, and B) get FJ right and still lose because of said wager?
I guess the follow up question is how often does 2nd place actually go for the double?
No more than a few times a season would be my guess. Off the top of my head, I can think of eight instances since 2015, and I'm sure there are more that I've forgotten. The most famous example might be Seth Wilson losing his 13th game in this way.
So hypothetically, if I get the call I feel like no matter what the category, I should be playing to cover if I'm leading going in to FJ. However, Michonne was able to win on triple stumpers before by holding money back. I know there's a term for it in the glossary somewhere.

I guess you have to go with your gut to figure out if 2nd place will play to double up, or play to win in a double stumper?
Now swimming in the J! pool.
Hugo Z
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Hugo Z »

John Boy wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:28 pm
Hugo Z wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:30 pm Don't know how often this happens to others, but my local station aired five minutes of commericals (during which they must've been scrambling to find an old episode to air), and then broadcast the one where Sue Grafton was the the subject of the FJ. I wuz robbed!
Hmmmmm. That's the episode that was aired last Saturday (a repeat of a much earlier game).
I saw the original telecast of the Grafton episode, but didn't know it was the Saturday night ep. I guess that was the one that was most accessible to the station.
Golf

Post by Golf »

1stlvlthinker wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:13 am I guess you have to go with your gut to figure out if 2nd place will play to double up, or play to win in a double stumper?
No, you always bet to cover from the lead. That way you don’t have to live the rest of your life with the fact you had the lead going into FJ, answered correctly, and lost.

Regardless, it’s impossible to know what others are going to wager because you can’t model irrational wagers.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

I'm not familiar with that warning but "prejudice" led strongly in one direction.

If the week is not too busy, I would not mind seeing a poll question along the lines of "I would not have gotten FJ! without the word "predudice" in the clue".
jeffwolfe
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jeffwolfe »

davey wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:41 pm
DBear wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:29 pm
...Fawlty Towers in the '70s? Monty Python would've been a better guess. :shock: ...
?? Fawlty Towers was aired first-run from 1975-1979. It's true I suppose, MP would have been more likely to have an audience advisory... but I'm not sure what "concerns" either Cleese show ever addressed. The sale of dead animals? Persecution of immigrants?
Monty Python was a sketch comedy show, not a sitcom, and it debuted in October 1969.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

I don't have the actual stats, but....

People in 2nd place double up in FJ waaayyyy too often, as if they never learn. Which is why almost everybody in the lead goes for the $1-cover bet. And it's why we see so many people win games with scores like $22,201 to $22,200. And which is why it is so painful to see a leader fail to place the cover bet (unless of course the FJ category is on the leader's short list of worst-ever subjects).
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

floridagator wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:54 am I have a series of beefs about tonight's game :

* why did they accept Annapolis when the clue asked for the name of a military academy? How is that any better than someone answering Portugal when asked for a language?
Honestly, I think I've almost always heard it called Annapolis, but your mileage may vary - I don't know how often broadcasters and newspapers use USNA vs Annapolis vs Navy.

In fact, if you went the opposite way - asked me which branch of the military is associated with "Annapolis" - I admittedly might falter. I think one of the current Netflix J! episodes had a similar clue (with no mention of Annapolis), and the response the contestant gave was the US Naval Academy. I gave "Annapolis", and did have to look it up, just to double-check that my clue was right. Wikipedia gives all three names as alternates, so I think you'd have to either accept Annapolis, or at the worst BMS it. Probably "Navy" would only be acceptable if it's not in the clue already, and if you're talking about sports (ie Army vs Navy).

I did think that Portuguese/Portugal was a little picky, especially considering that the answer-and-question response of J! isn't exactly how we usually give-and-take when it comes to information, and sometimes exactly which bit of information the clue was (author vs main character, country vs language) may be unclear. But ultimately, it was the right call, because if you accept Portugal, it comes close to meaning you'd have to accept Brasil. The problem came with the clue - it may have been easier to omit the portion that says "of this neighboring country", to keep the contestants' focus on the language.
DavidRosen
Valued Contributor

Post by DavidRosen »

Golf wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:35 am
1stlvlthinker wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:13 am I guess you have to go with your gut to figure out if 2nd place will play to double up, or play to win in a double stumper?
No, you always bet to cover from the lead. That way you don’t have to live the rest of your life with the fact you had the lead going into FJ, answered correctly, and lost.

Regardless, it’s impossible to know what others are going to wager because you can’t model irrational wagers.
I agree about the risk of being haunted by an insufficient wager. There are ten thousand people out there, who couldn't pass the J test in ten thousand tries, who are still willing to tell you that you wussed out on your FJ wager.

Not only can't you model irrational wagers, there are too many possible rational wagers to know what even a rational opponent will do.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I sort of precalled this FJ after seeing the category. I recall reading an interview with Lear and he said Archie Bunker would definitely be a Trump supporter. I thought that might be used as a FJ clue, but that would probably be crossing a political line they don’t want to cross.

I guess Meathead would be a Bernie guy.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

60 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Lobster, Gulfstream, (Horatio Nelson), Calabash, (New York & Vermont), Florida, Claw
Douglas Squasoni
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:28 pm 60 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Lobster, Gulfstream, (Horatio Nelson), Calabash, (New York & Vermont), Florida, Claw
Congrats! Is that 60R a first for you?