Tuesday, March 24, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: Tuesday, March 24, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:16 pm Rorschach seemed way too obscure for anyone else save for the comic nerds.
I got him, and I've never read the comic books or seen the movie (or the TV show, which Volante's post made me aware of). I had a vague recollection that Watchmen had a character named "Rorschach" whose face (actually a mask, apparently) only showed an ever-changing inkblot. The name passed the category restriction (luckily I knew how to spell it!), so I went for it.
Volante wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:29 pm They were probably counting on the current Watchmen TV show to bump recognition which is a favorite tactic of theirs.
(Haven't seen it, not sure how big a role Rorschach plays in it so I might be off the mark here)
As far as my brief research leads me to believe, Rorschach is not in the show.
Lefty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Lefty »

heppm01 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:22 pm WHAT AN IDIOM! for $200: "It doesn't affect me adversely, so it's "No skin" from here".
Accepted response: "off my nose".
My response: "off my back".

I assume this is just a regional difference?
I think they used to run pretty even but Ronald Reagan's Mohs surgery to remove a skin cancer seemed to push "nose" in front.
I'm smart and I want respect.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:32 pm
Volante wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:29 pm They were probably counting on the current Watchmen TV show to bump recognition which is a favorite tactic of theirs.
(Haven't seen it, not sure how big a role Rorschach plays in it so I might be off the mark here)
That doesn't mean he isn't mentioned. Doomsday Clock (the Watchmen sequel, of sorts) doesn't have Rorschach* but he's still a factor.
Like, this is a textbook spoiler definition under here folks
The son of a psychoanalyst who tried to treat? diagnose? Not 100% sure there off memory. takes up the shifting mask mantle; it'd be hard for classic Rorschach to show up there or in the HBO quasi-sequel since he done got vaporized by Manhattan in the original graphic novel
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:16 pm How the hell did I know "cherchez la femme" but not
If one is a skirt chaser, maybe that term has been used in his direction.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:32 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:16 pm Rorschach seemed way too obscure for anyone else save for the comic nerds.
I got him, and I've never read the comic books or seen the movie (or the TV show, which Volante's post made me aware of). I had a vague recollection that Watchmen had a character named "Rorschach" whose face (actually a mask, apparently) only showed an ever-changing inkblot. The name passed the category restriction (luckily I knew how to spell it!), so I went for it.
Rorschach is prominently featured in the show even though he is not a character. The bad guys are Rorschach followers who wear his mask.

When the clue said "Bad version of Batman" I tried to think of the name of the Nite Owl character, who is a bad version of Batman.
Spoiler

Nite Owl
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

57 R (Missed Wendy Sykes and Rorshach.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: (Joseph Heller), Rain Forest, Maverick, Maybach, Brilliant, Hitting the Nail on the Head, Xenon, Promotion, Bacon's Rebellion, Chicharrones, (Slapstick), Schoolteacher

J!BOARD Victory! Congrats to nklotz.
Douglas Squasoni
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:40 am 57 R (Missed Wendy Sykes and Rorshach.)
Wanda Sykes
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Speaking of which, the people misspelling "Rorschach" in this thread seem to have forgotten the category he was in.
earendel

Post by earendel »

MattKnowles wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:39 pmWhen the clue said "Bad version of Batman" I tried to think of the name of the Nite Owl character, who is a bad version of Batman.
Not a bad guess - comic book nerds would know that Owlman is the Earth-3 version of Batman. Earth-3 is where the DC heroes and villains are reversed - Superman is Ultraman, for instance, and leads the Crime Syndicate of America.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Linear Gnome wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:45 pm
heppm01 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:22 pm WHAT AN IDIOM! for $200: "It doesn't affect me adversely, so it's "No skin" from here".
Accepted response: "off my nose".
My response: "off my back".

I assume this is just a regional difference?
I'd think so. I'd also imagine that "commissioning" would be an acceptable alternative response for "promotion".
I would certainly accept it. Even though I never had a noncommissioning ceremony to become an NCO.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Rackme32 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:29 am Only Rorshach I ever heard of was in Mr. Kotter's class. :)
Haha this takes me back to a question I wrote for a TD a while back. Everybody hated it lol

viewtopic.php?t=4484&start=40#p270115
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

MattKnowles wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:39 pm
When the clue said "Bad version of Batman" I tried to think of the name of the Nite Owl character, who is a bad version of Batman.
Spoiler

Nite Owl
Yeah, as the comic nerd, I insta-got Rorschach, but the clue itself confused me. The "Bad version of Batman" is Owlman, which has nothing to do with Watchman whatsoever. Rorschach was a variation on the character The Question, as Watchmen was originally based on the "Charlton characters" (super heroes that DC acquired from Charlton comics).
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MitchO wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:25 pm
MattKnowles wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:39 pm
Spoiler

Nite Owl
Yeah, as the comic nerd, I insta-got Rorschach, but the clue itself confused me. The "Bad version of Batman" is Owlman, which has nothing to do with Watchman whatsoever. Rorschach was a variation on the character The Question, as Watchmen was originally based on the "Charlton characters" (super heroes that DC acquired from Charlton comics).
MitchO, when kids these days say bad, they mean good! And to shake your booty means to wiggle one's butt.

That out of the way, the clue's not wrong, but 'bad' has too many definitions. They based the clue on what Moore said but the actual quote is too wordy for the space a J! clue allows
"I wanted to kind of make this like, 'Yeah, this is what Batman would be in the real world.' But I had forgotten that actually to a lot of comic fans that smelling, not having a girlfriend—these are actually kind of heroic. So actually, sort of, Rorschach became the most popular character in Watchmen. I meant him to be a bad example, but I have people come up to me in the street saying, 'I am Rorschach! That is my story!' And I'll be thinking, 'Yeah, great, can you just keep away from me and never come anywhere near me again for as long as I live?'"
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)