Wednesday, March 25, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, March 25, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by John Boy »

twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:18 am

I can relate to Adam as a big fan of street food. I feel it has built my immune system to deal with the current crisis, or any extraterrestrial organisms as well. I didn't realize there were 8 chosen toppings for Chicago dogs, but am very aware that thou shalt not ask for ketchup (or catsup either). It was funny when Adam got the hot dog clue.
I keep trying to come up with 8 and my brain fogs over. I know no ketchup, and probably no mayo either. Which leaves mustard, relish, onions, chili, maybe bell peppers, and then my imagination just runs out of gas. Anyone have any clues?

This starts to feel like back in college days when guys would be sharing a pitcher of beer and the trivia questions would start: "Name the Seven Dwarfs!"

Uh, Dopey, Doc, Sleezy, Whiney, And it never seemed to matter that we could never get all seven.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

John Boy wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:10 am I keep trying to come up with 8 and my brain fogs over. I know no ketchup, and probably no mayo either. Which leaves mustard, relish, onions, chili, maybe bell peppers, and then my imagination just runs out of gas. Anyone have any clues?
Sport peppers not chili peppers. Don't think they use bell peppers. I've never heard of a sport pepper used in any other context, but I know they're on Chicago style hot dogs. I think celery salt is used, too.
Leander

Post by Leander »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:17 am
John Boy wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:10 am I keep trying to come up with 8 and my brain fogs over. I know no ketchup, and probably no mayo either. Which leaves mustard, relish, onions, chili, maybe bell peppers, and then my imagination just runs out of gas. Anyone have any clues?
Sport peppers not chili peppers. Don't think they use bell peppers. I've never heard of a sport pepper used in any other context, but I know they're on Chicago style hot dogs. I think celery salt is used, too.
My recollection from my years in the Chicago area is: mustard, relish, onions, sport peppers, tomatoes, pickle spear, and celery salt. I can’t get to 8 unless you include the poppyseeds on the bun.
pinkfreud
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by pinkfreud »

I haven't been to Chicago in many years, but in the 1970s I used to travel there often. At that time, hot dogs sometimes included sliced tomatoes.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Leander wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:49 am My recollection from my years in the Chicago area is: mustard, relish, onions, sport peppers, tomatoes, pickle spear, and celery salt. I can’t get to 8 unless you include the poppyseeds on the bun.
Yes, I agree. They must be counting the poppyseed bun.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

squarekara wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:24 pm
Leander wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:49 am My recollection from my years in the Chicago area is: mustard, relish, onions, sport peppers, tomatoes, pickle spear, and celery salt. I can’t get to 8 unless you include the poppyseeds on the bun.
Yes, I agree. They must be counting the poppyseed bun.
edit: oops, this list is also 7 items :oops:. maybe the 8th item is the dog, I'm not sure how Adam phrased his statement. probably past time to jump to reretaken for this high level discussion ;)

I didn't want to cheat with the reveal, but if you believe the Google:
(It's not poppyseeds)

What is on a Chicago dog?
The hot dog is topped with yellow mustard, chopped white onions, bright green sweet pickle relish, a dill pickle spear, tomato slices or wedges, pickled sport peppers and a dash of celery salt. ... A number of Chicago hot dog vendors do not offer ketchup as a condiment.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Ran Instrument Makers, 0/5 in Notable Italians.

I've never heard the things that horses wear on their eyes called "blinkers" before. That was an oddly misleading clue, especially since it was the only "wearable" not worn by a human.

"Female Superheroes" was a yawner of a category. NHO the bottom three to my knowledge. Superheroes are such a freaking bore anyway.

Horseradish being a.) an herb, b.) an accompaniment to roast beef, and c.) part of the Seder were all new to me. What a contrived clue.

Green thing essential to Thai cooking = basil, right? Wrong.

Absolutely no guess on FJ! The correct response is beyond unfamiliar to me.

Lach Trash: answering machine, Hammond. Also got the "heartstopping" DD.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I have always heard those things called blinders.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bamaman wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:50 pm I have always heard those things called blinders.
Blinkers or blinders are the same thing for the horse racing horses. With the clue having a car changing lanes element then only blinkers unless it's about insta-road rage and then it could be "blinders" for high beams at the wrong time.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

56 R (John Wooden was my only miss. Unsurprisingly.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Oliver Hazard Perry, (Heart-Stopping), Cap, Shoes, Sonoran Desert, Katana, Answering Machine, Arturo Toscanini, Laurens Hammond, Federico Fellini
Douglas Squasoni
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 33,400
47 R/3 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: heart-stopping (DD), cap, shoes, Sonoran Desert, Katana, answering machine, Toscanini

The Lend-Lease Act is one of those items that I had probably heard of over the years, but it only really came into my consciousness in the past few months.

I matched the contestants with bottom-row negs on ulna and moving pictures. Boo hiss.

Surprising to have two DDs in the same game in wordplay categories. Not that I'm complaining.

Speaking of DDs, TIL that a bay leaf and a laurel leaf are the same thing.
Lefty wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:57 pm 1776 again proves lucky for Adam Smith!
This is the kind of quality content I'm here for.
talkingaway wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:50 pm Rubbing alcohol. Oh, the innocence of two to three months ago, when that was in stores. While sports are now eliminated from TV, my new favorite cheering activity is watching the Instacart order for my parents fill up. Big applause when she got the lettuce - and no surprise when Clorox wipes were eliminated.
Last night, I got the only package of toilet paper in the store for one of my customers. I felt like I had just won Super Bowl MVP. "I'm going to Disneyland! Or at least I would be, were it open."
Sprinkles are for winners.