Wednesday, March 25, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, March 25, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, March 25, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
ALLITERATIVE LEGISLATION

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Signed into law in March 1941, House Resolution 1776 was this act that provided aid to a foe from 1776

Nick Klotz: 13000-8201=4799
Rachel Burns: 6800+6800=13600
Adam Smith: 10600+10600=21200 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Lend-Lease Act (Nick – British Blockade)

Daily Doubles
Adam: 1200-1200
Nick: 7600+3000
Adam: 5400+4000

Coryats
Nick: 11200
Rachel: 6800
Adam: 9400

Combined: 27,400

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Nick: 6000
Rachel: 400
Adam; 600
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Too bad that Rachel did not name her grandfather that was on Name that Tune with Tom Kennedy as I'm curious if he won a game, the Golden Medley, the $100,000, a tournament...

Nick got tag-teamed by his opponents to open the match (not heard from until clue 9) and the end in being the only one to miss the FJ! clue. In between Nick was the best on buzzer and material. Nick gave a little reaction to indicate he wanted in on the UCLA coach clue that Adam got.

The FJ! category had me so sure of a precall that I wrote Brady Bill where I normally write my response instead of the other spot where I write notes. I used the rest of the break to wonder if the clue could be Act, a different Bill, Amendment, or Doctrine.

The clue was a simple bust as other than having heard of the act I was not ready to know where it fit in the timeline of American History. I was in the same boat with Nick and to have a response I wrote "British Bill". Shame on me and if I had known the right thing I can only hope I would not have incorrectly recalled it with "Land".

A tougher clue and Nick could have won with his remaining 4799 as both challengers went for the double-up. Instead it was Adam Smith getting the wealth of Sony.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

With no FJ! round hits I can see the Archive history to indicate that regular clue usage is sometimes not enough to stick for me even when it should be more than sufficient.
Spoiler

#7884, aired 2018-12-13 1940s AMERICA $2,000 (Daily Double): On March 11, 1941 this alliterative act became law & let FDR transfer billions of dollars in supplies to foes of the Axis
#7813, aired 2018-07-25 WORLD WAR II TIMELINE $1200: December 17, 1940: FDR proposes this alliterative policy to help future U.S. allies pay for war materials
#7098, aired 2015-06-24 IT'S HYPHENATED $2000: This alliterative 1941 act allocated $7 billion in military credits to Britain
#6800, aired 2014-03-21 FLYING INTO HISTORY $1000: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew delivers the clue from the Pima Air & Space Museum in Tucson, AZ.) Most of the more than 3,000 Bell P-63 Kingcobra fighters built during World War II were delivered as part of the lend-lease program to this country for use in what was called the Great Patriotic War
#6317, aired 2012-02-21 ACTS OF CONGRESS $3,000 (Daily Double): Britain couldn't afford to pay cash for war materials much longer, so FDR proposed this alliterative act in December 1940
#5337, aired 2007-11-20 AMERICAN HISTORY $1,500 (Daily Double): The U.S. supplied materiel to its allies during WWII through this 1941 Congressional act
#1885, aired 1992-11-13 AMERICAN HISTORY $600: This 1941 act enabled the U.S. to become the "Arsenal of Democracy"
I forgot to mention in the previous post that Rachel got credit for having "and" between the two and not a hyphen, so either way is fine if it comes up for judging a response come poll time.
ACW

Post by ACW »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:24 amI forgot to mention in the previous post that Rachel got credit for having "and" between the two and not a hyphen, so either way is fine if it comes up for judging a response come poll time.
I'd probably be okay with no hyphen, but I'm not sure having an "and" should be allowed.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

1776 again proves lucky for Adam Smith!
I'm smart and I want respect.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I precalled Lend-Lease. I wasn’t a fan of letting the and slide, but no biggie. It got her an extra $1000 rather than a guy who already won a bundle.

I had a US history professor in college who mentioned it being bill 1776.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

My only precall was Lemon Law, was never, ever going to get the Lend-Lease Act.

My NBC station cut to briefings at 4:45 yesterday and 4:55 today, so I really appreciate the miraculously fast entry of games into the Archive. (Though this thread would have been enough today.)

TIL that disc brakes use brake pads and drum brakes use brake shoes. So Alex was correct to rule against Adam, but I beg to differ with Alex's assessment that pads aren't something you wear...
True North
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by True North »

Coryat: $31,400 (45R, 2W)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :(

Not a great game for me. Misses were Socrates on He Said It $800 (misread the clue) and moving pictures for talking pictures on __ing __ $2000, same as Nick.

FJ was never coming, I’ve heard of the Lend-Lease Act maybe twice in my life, but know nothing about it.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Coryat $35600 (44 R, 1 W)
DD 3/3
FJ :mrgreen:

Am I the only one who was thrown off of horseradish by the term "bitter"?

There are a couple US History shared Anki decks out there... one of them is how I knew 1941 --> Lend-Lease Act.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Impressive comeback by the challengers in the DJ round. 8-)
Pre-called Brady Bill. Easy enough to switch to Lend-lease. :mrgreen:
:( :D :D on the DDs
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

mas3cf wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:16 pm
Au contraire. It was a TOM.
https://youtu.be/_HC4hawd9p0
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

ACW wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:50 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:24 amI forgot to mention in the previous post that Rachel got credit for having "and" between the two and not a hyphen, so either way is fine if it comes up for judging a response come poll time.
I'd probably be okay with no hyphen, but I'm not sure having an "and" should be allowed.
When I saw the judges OKed 'and', I felt very strongly she hadn't won.

Gotta remember...Mojave desert is US only...Sonoran crosses the border...

Glad they finished the female superheroes cat, even though they seemed determined to dodge it.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

I'm glad I'm not the only one who corrected Alex that a portion of a portion of the population wears pads....but, in Alex's defense, I don't think that would have ever been an answer in that category.

The Bethany Hamilton clue had me swerving. I didn't read the clue fast enough, and listening/reading to the intro made me spend time trying to pull her name. I would have recognized the name, but not known it off the bat....but the sport? Yup.

Rubbing alcohol. Oh, the innocence of two to three months ago, when that was in stores. While sports are now eliminated from TV, my new favorite cheering activity is watching the Instacart order for my parents fill up. Big applause when she got the lettuce - and no surprise when Clorox wipes were eliminated.

Precalled Black Widow for the superhero category...and muttered "Katana" based on just the "Japanese blade" clue, because I played too much Final Fantasy in the late 80s/early 90s. But I didn't pull the trigger, so I lost $1000 of Coryat.

NHO "Lend-Lease" - I'm moderately new to J! and trivia, and we barely got to WWII in American History back when I took it. It was basically the "speed round", cramming that in and reviewing the rest of the material. Oh well, it's a gap, and I've learned it now. Easy to identify the country, but I couldn't come up with any alliterative B or E bills. After that, it was going through the alphabet to see if anything stuck, and I only got to F or G before time was up - not that L L would have helped.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Lend-Lease was the only alliterative legislation I could come up with during the commercial. At a loss from the clue, that's all I could put forth. I'll take it!

I surprised myself running FEMALE SUPERHEROES. Actually, now that I check, I see I ran five categories this game! In DJ I was only two clues and $6,000 off perfection (clammed star anise—though maybe I could allow myself a mulligan due to family members responding before the clue was finished—and joined Rachel in negging with Wurlitzer).
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

mas3cf wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:16 pm Coryat $35600 (44 R, 1 W)
DD 3/3
FJ :mrgreen:

There are a couple US History shared Anki decks out there... one of them is how I knew 1941 --> Lend-Lease Act.
I thought about horseradish but also did not make that my answer as I don't think of it as bitter at all. Spicy. Tangy. Hot. Not bitter. A little horseradish would have gone quite nicely with my clam.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

DBear wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:49 pm Impressive comeback by the challengers in the DJ round. 8-)
Pre-called Brady Bill. Easy enough to switch to Lend-lease. :mrgreen:
:( :D :D on the DDs
I had no precall whatsoever. Couldn't imagine where the writers were going.

Fortunately, recalled Lend-Lease from seeing it several times in American History classes.
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

talkingaway wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:50 pmI'm glad I'm not the only one who corrected Alex that a portion of a portion of the population wears pads....but, in Alex's defense, I don't think that would have ever been an answer in that category.
Sure, shoulder pads are kind of '80s, but...
I'm kidding--don't @ me.
talkingaway wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:50 pmThe Bethany Hamilton clue had me swerving. I didn't read the clue fast enough, and listening/reading to the intro made me spend time trying to pull her name.
Personal connection to question: On our last trip to Kauai in 2011, my (now ex-) wife and I were served in a Hanalei restaurant by Ms. Hamilton's father. He looks nothing like Dennis Quaid.
talkingaway wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:50 pmPrecalled Black Widow for the superhero category...and muttered "Katana" based on just the "Japanese blade" clue, because I played too much Final Fantasy in the late 80s/early 90s. But I didn't pull the trigger, so I lost $1000 of Coryat.
For some reason I can never remember the name of ScarJo's Marvel character. Maybe I've been bitten by Tallulah Bankhead.
I matched you in thinking of katana but not ringing in.
talkingaway wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:50 pmNHO "Lend-Lease" ... Easy to identify the country, but I couldn't come up with any alliterative B or E bills. After that, it was going through the alphabet to see if anything stuck, and I only got to F or G before time was up - not that L L would have helped.
On clue reveal I knew I knew the name of the act but it wasn't coming to me, so I raced through the alphabet in despair... and landing on L got me there. Woo-hoo! Probably my favorite kind of FJ get because it's such a relief. No idea if I could pull that off on stage, but I'd love the chance.
In and out of the pool four times
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Nick! Sorry to lose you so soon! After your performance on bones yesterday, it was kind of funny you got the benefit of the rebound. I can never remember which is which, and which one usually gets broken. I know my tibia is the one that bangs the coffee table :lol: and the fibula is hard to tell it's there.

I can relate to Adam as a big fan of street food. I feel it has built my immune system to deal with the current crisis, or any extraterrestrial organisms as well. I didn't realize there were 8 chosen toppings for Chicago dogs, but am very aware that thou shalt not ask for ketchup (or catsup either). It was funny when Adam got the hot dog clue.

On FJ reveal, I saw "1776" and figured I was screwed. But then it was about a 1941 act and for whatever reason it was instaget. I can just hear FDR's voice saying it. It's not as sexy as Smoot-Hawley, but then what could be?

I expected a reversal on pads, but not remembering if the clue pinned drum brakes over disk brakes. Brake shoes have "linings" on them but if you call them "pads" everybody knows what you mean.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.