Friday, March 27, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: Friday, March 27, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by seaborgium »

seaborgium wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:42 pm It's a chestnut that FDR was the first president to appear on television, so I figured he must be the trap response and went one president later.
Come to think of it, this sort of thinking helped me get my third FJ right (which I needed to do to win).
Spoiler
Basically I thought, "'Let us have peace' is something you say right after the Civil War, not during" and went forward from Lincoln with that, with the minor complication that I had to rule out Andrew Johnson before getting to Grant. And to be honest, "GOP" in the clue didn't figure into my thinking. I was just looking for the first president to be nominated after the Civil War ended. I didn't know whether I was right until Alex told Marty that he was.
floridagator
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by floridagator »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:27 am
floridagator wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:10 am I predict that kelilah will be forgotten before the first commercial break on Monday and one or more of the challengers will emerge as the favourite.
Could you at least make an attempt at spelling her name right? The disrespect here is utterly palpable.
No disrespect meant. I dictated the message on my phone.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:20 am
floridagator wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:10 am ...

I understand why the contestants saved the San Diego Zoo category for last because I was expecting it would be a video category that would waste a lot of time.
That was my reaction this morning when I got the categories off J!6. "Oh, no, I'm gonna have to archive a bunch of long-winded Clue Crew clues from the zoo.

Nope, dealing with the extra stuff by Khalilah and all of the incorrect responses was the time suck instead.
Would it be possible to add a link to the archive in the daily thread once it has been archived?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bamaman wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:46 am Would it be possible to add a link to the archive in the daily thread once it has been archived?
Yes, I can do that. Look for it in the Monday thread around 9:30 -10 my time. If I remember this post two days from now.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Oof! Yes, these last couple of days have not been game play at its finest, but this did seem to be a nadir, redeemed mostly by Khalila as a player. FJ was tougher then yesterday’s gimme, but still easily reasoned out.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:14 am This game will be very frustrating for those who have taken & passed the test many times without an audition or THE CALL in wishing this was their day to be on stage.
Amen, brother. $9200 in LT was enough for me to take a commanding lead into FJ from the fourth podium. Gotta believe I was far from the only one.

OK, full disclosure: I was one of those in the "sucks" category. I agonized over Truman Vs. Eisenhower for pretty much the entire 30 seconds and Marktipled wrong.

Perhaps my proudest moment was the $2K in LT for knowing the name of the railroad early in the DJ round. When I was a lad my father tried to educate me and interest me in the stock market, and bought me my first ever stock holding, what was then ATSF, the Atchison-Topeka-and-Santa Fe Railroad, long before it became Santa Fe Industries. I could never forget that, or the wonderful calendars they sent each year with pictures of old west scenes. Also can't forget the pop song from---when, the 60s?---with the RR title as the song title.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

talkingaway wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:58 pm And confessional time - I, too, mistook Val Kilmer for Joyce Kilmer.
Good thing the rest of us don't have brain farts like that! :roll:
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

CasualJeopardyFan19 wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:39 am REALLY bad game with incredibly tough material and such a lame low scoring win.
I think a lot of folks on this board would disagree with the middle portion of your statement. The material was not incredibly tough, as witnessed by how many of us piled up near-record amounts of Lach Trash, nicely handling the stuff that all three of these contestants missed. And THAT is what made this game really bad and the winning score so lame.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Man, this episode hurt so good

Perhaps the dumbest set of opera clues we’ve ever seen. This “green” guy? Come on, writers!
Hugo Z
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Hugo Z »

John Boy wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:10 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:14 am This game will be very frustrating for those who have taken & passed the test many times without an audition or THE CALL in wishing this was their day to be on stage.
Perhaps my proudest moment was the $2K in LT for knowing the name of the railroad early in the DJ round. When I was a lad my father tried to educate me and interest me in the stock market, and bought me my first ever stock holding, what was then ATSF, the Atchison-Topeka-and-Santa Fe Railroad, long before it became Santa Fe Industries. I could never forget that, or the wonderful calendars they sent each year with pictures of old west scenes. Also can't forget the pop song from---when, the 60s?---with the RR title as the song title.
The song was a hit from 1945, and it's what gave me the solve on that one. It, in fact, won an Oscar for best song.
Hugo Z
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Hugo Z »

I don't think I would've celebrated quite that much for winning $399 more than the second place player, but hey, maybe she'll do better in the next episode. Somebody has to!
NYCScribbler
Harbinger of the Outchange

Post by NYCScribbler »

Linear Gnome wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:30 am
NYCScribbler wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:35 pm I am now a Khalilah fangirl. Sometimes people forget that this is a game and can be fun even whilst being competitive. I can only imagine how much editing they tried to do with her energy. (I speak from experience, having had a sotto voce comment cut out while the laughter remained.)
I found Khalilah endearing as well.

Good to see you back on JBoard, Rebecca. Hope you're doing OK, all things considered.
Well, I was working from home anyway so it's not too bad, except that my husband now also works from home and is a salesman who has to make 200 phone calls a day. Also, I miss the MTA, which is a sentence that I never thought would make sense.

I honestly just rolled up in here to double-check the spelling of Khalilah's name, but then I remembered that I like y'all . :lol:
"Who said anything about a horse?!"

"Also, how the bleep did I forget Russia even exists?!"- TPH
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

seaborgium wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:42 pm It's a chestnut that FDR was the first president to appear on television, so I figured he must be the trap response and went one president later.
I unfortunately reasoned the reverse way, thinking that Truman was probably the negbait since TV was pretty well established in households by the late forties. I knew the first broadcast station had been in operation since even before FDR's first election, and that sporting events and news programs were being broadcast before the Pearl Harbor attack. Interesting that it took almost 20 years from the inception of commercial broadcasting to decide that a presidential SOU address might be a worthwhile public interest event.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Hugo Z wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:27 pm
John Boy wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:10 am
The song was a hit from 1945, and it's what gave me the solve on that one. It, in fact, won an Oscar for best song.
Recognized the song, but I knew it mostly from the railroad game 1870, set in the area bounded roughly by Chicago, Denver, Dallas, & Mobile. The AT&SF is one of the major railroads of that game. Check it out on Boardgamegeek
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

I can’t hear AT&SF railway without cracking up:
https://youtu.be/jkvIFXrlfRY
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

morbeedo wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:47 am Man, this episode hurt so good

Perhaps the dumbest set of opera clues we’ve ever seen. This “green” guy? Come on, writers!
If Jeopardy opera knowledge equaled real opera knowledge, I'd be giving lectures at the Met.
I'm smart and I want respect.
davey

Post by davey »

talkingaway wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:58 pm

Alex: No, Sacremento is the state (with the church).

Just to be clear about who was making the mistakes in the game, Alex didn't say this. He correctly identified the state.

Like many, I flipped the FJ coin back and forth over and over and came down on the wrong side... :twisted:
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

53 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Labyrinthine, Slider, Change-up, (Generation Y), DNA, Andrew Carnegie; Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe; (California); Veni, Vidi, Vici; General Dynamics, Harper Lee, James Joyce
Douglas Squasoni
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

AFRET CMS wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:19 pm I unfortunately reasoned the reverse way, thinking that Truman was probably the negbait since TV was pretty well established in households by the late forties. I knew the first broadcast station had been in operation since even before FDR's first election, and that sporting events and news programs were being broadcast before the Pearl Harbor attack. Interesting that it took almost 20 years from the inception of commercial broadcasting to decide that a presidential SOU address might be a worthwhile public interest event.
Commercial radio broadcasting began on November 2, 1920 (KDKA in Pittsburgh, the night of the Harding-Cox election), and the first State of the Union broadcast on radio was 1922, with the first national broadcast in 1923 (on an ad-hoc network -- the first permanently established nationwide network, NBC, began operations November 15, 1926).

There had been experimental television broadcasts beginning in the late 1920s, but commercial TV broadcasting didn't start until July 1, 1941 (the stations now known as WCBS and WNBC in New York), and it was pretty close to dormant during World War II. For various reasons, there were some decent-sized cities that didn't even have any TV stations on the air into the Eisenhower administration. (The first TV station serving my hometown, for example, went on the air May 5, 1953.)
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

trainman wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:11 am
AFRET CMS wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:19 pm I unfortunately reasoned the reverse way, thinking that Truman was probably the negbait since TV was pretty well established in households by the late forties. I knew the first broadcast station had been in operation since even before FDR's first election, and that sporting events and news programs were being broadcast before the Pearl Harbor attack. Interesting that it took almost 20 years from the inception of commercial broadcasting to decide that a presidential SOU address might be a worthwhile public interest event.
Commercial radio broadcasting began on November 2, 1920 (KDKA in Pittsburgh, the night of the Harding-Cox election), and the first State of the Union broadcast on radio was 1922, with the first national broadcast in 1923 (on an ad-hoc network -- the first permanently established nationwide network, NBC, began operations November 15, 1926).

There had been experimental television broadcasts beginning in the late 1920s, but commercial TV broadcasting didn't start until July 1, 1941 (the stations now known as WCBS and WNBC in New York), and it was pretty close to dormant during World War II. For various reasons, there were some decent-sized cities that didn't even have any TV stations on the air into the Eisenhower administration. (The first TV station serving my hometown, for example, went on the air May 5, 1953.)
Unless I'm mistaken, the New York Times' first impression was that the commercial use of television was "in doubt". ;)