Monday, March 30, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Re: Monday, March 30, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by AFRET CMS »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:28 pm What was the TOM for "Magi" on Masters of Art for $200? That whole category seemed extremely difficult.
"Adoration" pointed to something worshipful, probably related to the nativity (the chorus from "O, Come, All Ye Faithful" popped into my mind as soon as I saw the clue), and "trio" led me to the "three wise men." Which probably would have been accepted. And "three kings" might have led to a BMS instead of an outright rejection.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
thenextofken
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by thenextofken »

When it was clear they were looking for an animal in FJ, I kept thinking of the ones who've advertised various cereal brands over the years, (Tony the Tiger, Toucan Sam, etcet), but knew they were all before 1980. Incidentally, most of those were created by the same Ad Agency in Chicago that became known as the "Critter" agency. McGruff was by no means an instaget, but I got it about halfway through the clue.

The clue also reminds me of the time on Saturday Night Live when during "Weekend Update," Dennis Miller said McGruff got caught in a sting operation using reward money to pay off his, uh, female canines. :D :lol: :)
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Golf wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:49 am
Bamaman wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:38 am I had never seen or heard of that putting style but I got it. You could actually be the world’s biggest golf expert and not get it if you didn’t know anything about croquet.
Anybody with decent golf historical knowledge knows of the putting issues Snead had throughout his career as , well as the different methods he tried. Therefore the clue could have easily been answered without the video. For a golf expert, it wouldn’t matter if you’ve heard of the sport of croquet or not.
Key words there, though, "for a golf expert." Keeping the video, now you just need to be familiar with Alice in Wonderland.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Blue Lion
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Blue Lion »

Lefty wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:11 pm I got schneided on the TV Before & After category, but I did get FJ. Not sure I would have if not for my memory of baseball announcers calling Fred McGriff "the crime dog", border-line nonsensical as that nickname may have been.
Chris Berman of ESPN had all kinds of punny nicknames for MLB players. "Crime Dog" was one of his most memorable.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

AFRET CMS wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:10 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:28 pm What was the TOM for "Magi" on Masters of Art for $200? That whole category seemed extremely difficult.
"Adoration" pointed to something worshipful, probably related to the nativity (the chorus from "O, Come, All Ye Faithful" popped into my mind as soon as I saw the clue), and "trio" led me to the "three wise men." Which probably would have been accepted. And "three kings" might have led to a BMS instead of an outright rejection.
Lots of things can be "adored", and nothing suggested a worshipful or spiritual bent for me. It just sounded like a YEKIOYD that was massively out of place in the top box.
Spiny Norman
Valued Contributor

Post by Spiny Norman »

I was at the taping to root for Monya. She is a personal friend from O'Briens Pub Quiz. If she had taken the DDs in the opposite order, she would have won the game. I thought she played a good game, but luck was against her.

Re: the golf-themed categories in single Jeopardy round - Alex introduced them and then said something like "in honor of the Masters which begins this Thursday." One of the producers got his attention to point out that the Masters starts (or would have started) next week. They edited out that comment either way. I wonder if the writers and producers messed up, intending to use those categories during Masters week. They are so meticulous, I cannot imagine that was a careless error. Maybe just a coincidence that the golf categories appeared so close to Masters week.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

55 R (Missed TV Before and After $800 & $2000, and Fyre Festival.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Rijksmuseum, U.S. and British Open, Luke, Cassowary, Mississippi, Orphan Black Mirror, Robert F. Kennedy, Walter Mondale, (Richard Nixon), Nelson Rockefeller
Douglas Squasoni
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Spiny Norman wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:08 am I was at the taping to root for Monya. She is a personal friend from O'Briens Pub Quiz. If she had taken the DDs in the opposite order, she would have won the game. I thought she played a good game, but luck was against her.

Re: the golf-themed categories in single Jeopardy round - Alex introduced them and then said something like "in honor of the Masters which begins this Thursday." One of the producers got his attention to point out that the Masters starts (or would have started) next week. They edited out that comment either way. I wonder if the writers and producers messed up, intending to use those categories during Masters week. They are so meticulous, I cannot imagine that was a careless error. Maybe just a coincidence that the golf categories appeared so close to Masters week.
I thought it would have been this week, thinking the tournament is always the first weekend in April.

What day was this game taped?
Spiny Norman
Valued Contributor

Post by Spiny Norman »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:27 am
Spiny Norman wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:08 am I was at the taping to root for Monya. She is a personal friend from O'Briens Pub Quiz. If she had taken the DDs in the opposite order, she would have won the game. I thought she played a good game, but luck was against her.

I thought it would have been this week, thinking the tournament is always the first weekend in April.

January 15
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Spiny Norman wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:12 pm
Bamaman wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:27 am

January 15
I'm guessing you made that reply back in April but it's just now making it to air.