Wednesday, April 1, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Re: Wednesday, April 1, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Linear Gnome »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:47 pm
Linear Gnome wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:42 pm I'm pretty good with the provinces, but I didn't have a sense of where the territories fit in geographically. In fifth grade, I did a social studies assignment on Saskatchewan, which probably helps a bit.
Probably not a whole lot, though, since Nunavut didn't exist then.
Helps with the stuff I do know, such as the order of the prairie provinces.
Woppy T
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Woppy T »

Linear Gnome wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:42 pm Apparently, I'm the only person in the universe who's bothered by the Kirsten/Kristen thing. Good to know.
You are not alone.
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

This game is a draw for the Strong Form of Shore's Conjecture. The second-place player bet "small." --Bob
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Bamaman wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:34 am A way to remember the provinces in order starting on the west coast is that the first letters spell BASMOQ.
But, how do you remember BASMOQ?

"Baseballs Are Seldom Made Of Quartz".
I'm smart and I want respect.
bluejaylink
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bluejaylink »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:41 pm
reddpen wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:50 pm It's spelled slalom but pronounced slolom. The first syllable rhymes with "fall", not the first part of "phallus".
I would assume Canadians typically pronounce it the second way. Kami is listed as being from St. Louis but I'm wondering if she grew up in Canada.
Nope. That pronunciation sounded very odd to me, too.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

56 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Jaws, Australia, Korea, Bordeaux, Thou, Treasure Island, (Ben-Hur), Underwear Bomber, Heart of Darkness, Swarovski, Geosynchronous, Teutonic Knights
Douglas Squasoni
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

reddpen wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:50 pm Any chance of someone posting a gif of Leanne's reaction after Alex said "underwear bomber"? It's clue 28 in the J! round.
Late to the party, but here you go:

opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

davey wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:36 am Even though the choices are few, I started scrawling late and found Saskatchewan pretty unnerving to write quickly but legibly, so I fretted over whether I'd left something important out. But I got the other one wrong so it didn't matter... :(
I wonder if they'd accept "What are SK and MB?" I think they've accepted 2-letter postal codes for states before.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Linear Gnome wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:25 pm I got to see J! instead of a briefing today and watched off the DVR. I ran it back, and Leanne said "Kristen Gillibrand". I expected a score change before FJ!.
Just got around to seeing this one. (It tickles me that I missed Hemant Mehta's games because of Lent.) I didn't pay attention on first hearing because I'm not familiar enough with Ms. Gillibrand to know what her first name is supposed to be. Here's the clip if anyone wants to hear it again.

https://youtu.be/gBMHJ5ebaEo

I agree that Leanne distinctly says KRIsten, not KIRsten. And I agree this makes her response incorrect and it should have been ruled thus--either immediately or via a pre-FJ score correction. The sad thing is, this incorrect ruling may have cost her the game. That's assuming she knew how to wager from second, which is of course a tenuous assumption. I think they should invite her back, but good luck explaining basic wagering to TPTB and why it's preferable to go into a TS FJ in a close second with the remaining contestant a shutout third.

Too bad. I got a kick out of Leanne. She had a polished Lilith Crane vibe that made me happy.

Oh, I also think the archive should be changed to reflect Leanne's actual response, perhaps with a note indicating the correct first name. Unless other people can hear the response as possibly Kristen. I'm usually the one with creative hearing abilities though. So if I can't hear it as Kristen, I'll be surprised if someone else can.

Note, by the way that the archive calls out Alex Trebek for giving the wrong first name to Ms. Gillibrand in $800 IVY LEAGUE ALUMNI clue in this game:

http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5089

Sauce for gander and all that.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Upon listening in slow motion, I think it's possible she was saying "Kristen," but it's ambiguous enough that TPTB had to give her the benefit of the doubt since Alex didn't ask her to repeat. (I thought I posted about this before, but apparently not.)
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:58 am Upon listening in slow motion, I think it's possible she was saying "Kristen," but it's ambiguous enough that TPTB had to give her the benefit of the doubt since Alex didn't ask her to repeat. (I thought I posted about this before, but apparently not.)
I can definitely see how they missed it in the moment, but I am a little surprised that they let it pass, considering the general rule is "extra information is fine, as long as it's correct extra information".

Because of that ,when it comes to first names, Alex would have to pull teeth to get me to say a full name, unless I want to slow the pace of the game down to hold a lead. And specifically with a name like "Kirsten" that doesn't fall off my tongue that easily, I'd skip it. Perhaps they were overly sympathetic, or justified it as a "pronunciation variant", even if it's really not one. Or maybe it wasn't ruled as "wrong extra information" because it doesn't point to a different Gillibrand - there's no Kristen Gillibrand who's in the J! canon.

I swear I remember in the late 80s/early 90s, there was a controversy that made the news over the pronunciation of poinsett-IA, because it was pronounced as poinset-TA, with only 3 syllables. I've always heard it with 3 syllables, but the spelling makes the 4 syllable pronunciation seem more correct...but both are generally listed as acceptable pronunciations.

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=2648

That gave has the clue under HOLIDAYS/OBSERVANCES for $500, so maybe it was that one?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

talkingaway wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:38 am
seaborgium wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:58 am Upon listening in slow motion, I think it's possible she was saying "Kristen," but it's ambiguous enough that TPTB had to give her the benefit of the doubt since Alex didn't ask her to repeat. (I thought I posted about this before, but apparently not.)
I can definitely see how they missed it in the moment, but I am a little surprised that they let it pass, considering the general rule is "extra information is fine, as long as it's correct extra information".
I don't know that they missed it. I suspect TPTB were like, "Wait, I think she said Kristen" after Alex accepted it, so they went to the tape to verify it before FJ, and came to a consensus that they couldn't definitively hear ir or ri. Under those circumstances, I think if the initial ruling was in her favor, it needs to be allowed to stand with no questions asked. And of course, if Alex had negged her for saying "Kristen," they wouldn't have to ask, since she'd know what she said and object if the correct response she heard from Alex or another contestant was the same as what she was trying to say.