Friday, April 3, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, April 3, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, April 3, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
HISTORIC AMERICANS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 1904 this Hungarian-born newspaper publisher wrote, "Our republic and its press will rise or fall together"

Felicity Flesher: 8500+8500=17000 (2x = $32,200)
Jeff Jetton: 16700-1301=15399
Shanon Delaney: 9000-7000=2000

Correct response:
Spoiler
Joseph Pulitzer (Jeff = Hearst) (Shanon – Hershel)

Daily Doubles
Felicity: 3800-1300
Jeff: 11800+2000
Jeff: 17400-700

Coryats
Felicity: 9800
Jeff: 17000
Shanon: 9000

Combined: 35,800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Felicity: 2500
Jeff: 5000
Shanon: 5000
Last edited by theFJguy on Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

TV TRANSPORTS had the writers out of their mind with that TS for $800 and the much easier one for $1000.

The players found a way to quickly anger a part of a state when they could not recognize the Big 10 school's fight song. As a JBoard bonus for readers here is the full category:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1M6ZX6 ... zYQI7WYyE0

Like the Eastwoods I would not expect a BMS for dad's famous last name even though the son has achieved a level of fame. Today's case was in The Godfather category.

The French president clue should be a get and not crickets.

Jeff seemed like the kind of guy who would not let today's game haunt him. Others, perhaps, might have a months of restless nights.

AFRICAN GEOGRAPHY was the only category left in the DJ! round with DD3 trying to make a threepeat of not being found. The $800 clue wanted Morocco's capital. Nope, TS. Jeff then played DD3 leading 17400 to 9000 to 8500. He went for $700 which would have put him in runaway position. Instead he missed it and of course the timer had to go off with two big clues remaining.

Knowing the country to go with Salisbury & Harare is the kind of thing some J! players will know and some will not. I think it's a very fair one for the $1200 box DD. Mozambique was a very costly miss for Jeff.

Felicity playing from third place had the sole solve of the FJ! clue and that was enough to get the repeat that had been lacking for a while. I matched her to salvage a 40% week as I knew could not be Jeff's guess. After that, who else is reasonable?

After the College Championship I'll have to remind myself that Felicity is the returning champ the 4/20 game.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Good to see you back FJguy. I was a little worried yesterday.

Felicity is catching the academic clues in FJ that others are missing. That bodes well for her. I matched Jeff, but I could tell I was overlooking something.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Done except for cleaning up whatever the OCR did to me http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6593

Myron: I'm surprised I don't do the MarkBarrett instead of theFJguy error more often. At least the information was there in a timely manner. Now if someone has MarkBarrett as a foe then...too bad.
ouachiouat

Post by ouachiouat »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:04 am The players found a way to quickly anger a part of a state when they could not recognize the Big 10 school's fight song. As a JBoard bonus for readers here is the full category:

Thanks for the link, as I can't watch the show these days. I recognized the song immediately, but would have had to say it with disgust had I been on the show. Maybe they should have picked a better university to play the fight song from?

Go Bucks!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

ouachiouat wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:45 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:04 am The players found a way to quickly anger a part of a state when they could not recognize the Big 10 school's fight song. As a JBoard bonus for readers here is the full category:

Thanks for the link, as I can't watch the show these days. I recognized the song immediately, but would have had to say it with disgust had I been on the show. Maybe they should have picked a better university to play the fight song from?

Go Bucks!
That’s how I felt typing the answer to Q11 in the college football quiz in LL the other day.

FJ was an instaget for me. Shanon would have been kicking herself for her wager if she had gotten it right.

Glad the college kids are back. We could use a change of pace.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Shocked that was only a single-get.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Yup, I immediately thought "early 1900s, newspaper mogul...oh, yeah, must be the Citizen Kane guy, Hearst". Nope. His apparent rival, Pulitzer. Time for some light Wikipedia reading to fill in a knowledge gap. If Pulitzer had been on the other side of the coin, then I probably would have gone with it, as it's a slightly more Hungarian-sounding name, I guess?

A highly edited intro today. Perhaps another COVID-19 related cancellation...they had the ACM category yesterday.

I pity the fool who thinks A-Team is a bottom row clue.

Jeopardy! now joins TPIR on the short list of game shows that feature yodeling.

Interesting DD wager in the first round, and I think it's wrong. I've always wondered if it would be worth it to sandbag a clue at the end of the first round if you had a chance to pick first in the second round, and I'm generally against it...but this is an exception. You've got an almost 7% shot at getting the DD right off the bat. So, IMO, if Felicity is going to wager for a score of 5100 to get the lead against two 5000 scores....she may as well hold back an extra 100 so that she gets to pick first next clue. It's not a huge mistake, and if she wanted to make a significantly larger wager, I'd agree. But wagering specifically to eke out a 100 point lead? If that's psychological gamesmanship, it's still not really the best move.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

:( :D :D on DDs. Easy money for the taking in African geography.
I hope the surviving members of Rush are getting royalty checks, as the Rocinante was the name of the ship in "Cygnus X-1" :geek:
Instaget FJ. Newspaper guy + 1906 + Hungarian name = Pulizer. :mrgreen:
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Ran Have You Heard, Pay the "Tab", and surprisingly, Weapons of the War. Also got all but Proctor & Gamble in Pairs due to a brainfart.

Conversely, 0/5 in Atlantis. The responses were familiar, but just weren't clicking. Couldn't make the reverse journey from Atlantis to Atlas.

Love for $400 seemed like it was going to turn into another game of "guess the synonym" with only one person's wedding vows as a pin, but somehow it didn't. I clammed on "amour" since I wasn't sure if it fit the other half of the clue, but got the bottom two.

Hammurabi for $200 seemed extremely YEKIOYD. I WAGged "life" at $200, and had no guess on $400 or $800.

DD1 felt very obscure too. Can't say I've heard of Gonzaga before.

Couldn't make the necessary connections here. I know Pulitzer only for the Pulitzer prize and literally nothing else. Certainly not that he was Hungarian, a newspaper publisher, or from the early 20th century. I had not even a whimper of a WAG on this.

Lach Trash: University of Michigan
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:45 pm Can't say I've heard of Gonzaga before.
and yet ...

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4914&p=294224&hilit=gonzaga#p294224
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I got Gonzaga from following college basketball. I doubt I get it without that.
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

Sorry to see that Zimbabwe cost Jeff a win. I was thinking he’d bet more like $3,000 on that Daily Double in case there was more time for the final two clues. Moot.
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

44R. I missed Final Jeopardy with Horace Greeley which was way off. I forgot that Hearst and Pulitzer had a rivalry. Only one step away from making the connection chain of yellow journalism-->Spanish-American war-->late 1800s/early 1900s-->Hearst-->Pulitzer.
DBear wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:42 pm I hope the surviving members of Rush are getting royalty checks, as the Rocinante was the name of the ship in "Cygnus X-1" :geek:
Rocinante was the name of Don Quixote's horse. It's a good name for an adventurer's ride. I watched several seasons of The Expanse and it's pretty good.

I missed 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea with Around the World in 80 Days.

For the Nobel nominated Italian playwright I guessed Umberto Eco. He didn't write any plays so not a good guess.

Was there a tease out metric for University of Michigan or were we just supposed to recognize the song?
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MattKnowles wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:50 pm For the Nobel nominated Italian playwright I guessed Umberto Eco. He didn't write any plays so not a good guess.
Not to rub it in, but he was also 2 years old in 1934.

I blanked on FJ. I knew I needed to think of a newspaper publisher with a foreign-sounding name, but I could only think of Hearst as a publisher active in the early 1900s.
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

MattKnowles wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:50 pm
Was there a tease out metric for University of Michigan or were we just supposed to recognize the song?
There was a sizeable chunk of its lyrics... I didn't even need the audio.

"Hail To The Victors" is likely the 2nd-most famous American college fight song behind Notre Dame's. I can't even think of which one might be 3rd...
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

None of the players knew the French word for love and I’m dead
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Rackme32 wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:35 pm
MattKnowles wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:50 pm
There was a sizeable chunk of its lyrics... I didn't even need the audio.

"Hail To The Victors" is likely the 2nd-most famous American college fight song behind Notre Dame's. I can't even think of which one might be 3rd...
Actually, I'd put the 3 service academies at 1-2-3, but for other colleges, I'd say maybe ... USC? UT?
morbeedo wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:48 pm None of the players knew the French word for love and I’m dead
I certainly know the French word for love, but I've never heard amour used for an affair, so I personally guessed it haltingly.