Fun with GSN's "Master Minds"

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Fun with GSN's "Master Minds"

Post by MarkBarrett »

That was an exciting finish and well done, Leszek. Your J! pages (as well as the opponent pages) are updated.

ryan: it's only fair that two tocers had to go to a tiebreaker to decide it. no defeats for you in the 4th round.
mrbungle

Post by mrbungle »

thank you, MarkBarrett, and love and congrats to leszekp! :)
leszekp
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by leszekp »

Some tidbits about my Master Minds appearance:

- I knew that Nino was a previous J! contestant from talking to him in the green "room", which made me a bit nervous. Had I known at the time that Shawn had been one as well, I would have been even more so.

- You may be wondering if my "deer in the headlights" look was a deliberate attempt to throw off my opponents. Umm, yeah, sure, that's the ticket. Hope I look more human tomorrow.

- They did ask what I would do with the money, but that was cut out.

- Senior moment #1: On the "goosebumps" question, I was waiting for the multiple choice answers to show up; only Nino's buzz-in reminded me that we were no longer in the multiple-choice round.

- Senior moment #2: In the final contestant round, knew that I knew "earworm", but it was stuck in the back of my head somewhere, and couldn't pull it out in time.

- In the round against Ryan, I was so lucky that I knew two that he didn't. Gore-Tex has facilities in Flagstaff where I live, and since I don't like sushi, every time my friends drag me to a sushi restaurant I have the shrimp tempura (yum). Charlemagne was a guess for me, and I kind of got the impression it was a guess for Ryan, too.

- I actually came up with Gulf Of Mexico as the first possibility, and starting counting off states. "Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, Texas ... hey, that's only 4!". Yes, it's true - I Know What It Means To Miss New Orleans. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4jU8IQK5b0 On my second pass, missed the part about the "continental US".

- Got hung up on semantics on the flame color question, when I should have gone with my first physics inclination (the Planck blackbody curve). Just thought that flames are usually yellow or blue.

- So, I was told that if it came to a sudden-death question, I shouldn't worry about it, it wouldn't be any harder than the questions in the regular round. They edited down my thinking time on that question to cut out the first part, which is good, otherwise you would have seen a look of terror/horror on my face. I pulled that answer out of a deep, dark body orifice.
Last edited by leszekp on Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
leszekp
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by leszekp »

mrbungle wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:55 pm thank you, MarkBarrett, and love and congrats to leszekp! :)
Back at you!
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

leszekp wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:23 pm Some tidbits about my Master Minds appearance:

- I knew that Nino was a previous J! contestant from talking to him in the green "room", which made me a bit nervous. Had I known at the time that Shawn had been one as well, I would have been even more so.
No offense to Mr. Bungle, but I have to believe you breathed a sigh of relief when you saw Ken wasn't there.
mrbungle

Post by mrbungle »

alietr wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:27 am No offense to Mr. Bungle, but I have to believe you breathed a sigh of relief when you saw Ken wasn't there.
i yet again take no offense to your deeply offensive gibe, alietr! ;)
leszekp
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by leszekp »

For those of you living in the LA area, if you haven't already, I'd strongly recommend you try out for Master Minds.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIp ... A/viewform

Though I've never really had a bad experience on any of the game shows I've been on, Master Minds was one of the best. Production staff and crew were great, second only perhaps to Jeopardy!, and J! has had 30+ more years of practice. And with all due respect to Master Trebek, Brooke Burns has to be the nicest, friendliest host I've met. Easy on the eyes, too. :)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Comments on the 6/25 show:
Spoiler

Well done cruising to another win, Leszek. I was happy to see the game show appearance you tipped me off about when working on archiving your regular play J! games a while back was indeed this show and not Holey Moley that I joked about it being.

A keyboard question made the difference? Of all the things. :roll: Congrats to Muffy for her 4-spot.

mrbungle: care to share if you would have had 3, 4 or 5 in the last round?
That's nice to see that the show's staff and Brooke made for a fun experience.
Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

leszekp wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:13 pm For those of you living in the LA area, if you haven't already, I'd strongly recommend you try out for Master Minds.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIp ... A/viewform

Though I've never really had a bad experience on any of the game shows I've been on, Master Minds was one of the best. Production staff and crew were great, second only perhaps to Jeopardy!, and J! has had 30+ more years of practice. And with all due respect to Master Trebek, Brooke Burns has to be the nicest, friendliest host I've met. Easy on the eyes, too. :)
Brooke has definitely benefited from the years of Dog Eat Dog and The Chase (which she should've gotten more time on). She enunciates well, is rooting for contestants and fits in many different formats. Basically, she and Elizabeth Banks are similar types of hosts, though Brooke has been in the game show business much longer.
Adam Seth Moss
DoorDasher (since May 7, 2020)
M.A. History, Western Illinois Univ, 2017
B.A. History (minors in PoliSci & PubAdm), Montclair State Univ, 2015
A.A. History & Education, Middlesex County Coll., 2013
Ivoryface86

Post by Ivoryface86 »

And with this, Brooke has set a record for the most game shows hosted by a woman, so far. Her game show resume dates back to To Tell The Truth and she may've appeared on Family Feud w/Louie Anderson in a special Beach week but I'm not sure about that.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

I filled out the application when the casting call first went out, but I filled out an application via a casting service before I saw the one Leszek had linked to. I hope that doesn't torpedo my chances of being selected.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
mrbungle

Post by mrbungle »

congratulations again on the wins, leszek! i of course know you as a storied jeopardy legend, but i also remember watching you on grand slam. it was an honor to play against you, and i am really happy to hear that your experience on this show was such a good one. i *really* like the GSN people! :)
Spoiler
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:47 pm
Spoiler
i am bad at food trivia (clearly!), so i had no clue on the chicken dish. i feel pretty good about the upper two rows of letters on the keyboard. whether i can recall the bottom row or which numbers go with which shift symbols depends on how recently i have reviewed my not-strong mnemonics for those. that being said, you can just never know for sure how things will play out under the lights!
goongas

Post by goongas »

Spoiler
Leszek, it was fun watching your two shows. It would have been nice for you to become a Mastermind. Muffy was very relieved to defeat you, more so than anyone else I have seen. The Masterminds looked nervous in the second game.
leszekp
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by leszekp »

mrbungle wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:50 am congratulations again on the wins, leszek! i of course know you as a storied jeopardy legend, but i also remember watching you on grand slam. it was an honor to play against you, and i am really happy to hear that your experience on this show was such a good one. i *really* like the GSN people! :)
Spoiler
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:47 pm
Spoiler
i am bad at food trivia (clearly!), so i had no clue on the chicken dish. i feel pretty good about the upper two rows of letters on the keyboard. whether i can recall the bottom row or which numbers go with which shift symbols depends on how recently i have reviewed my not-strong mnemonics for those. that being said, you can just never know for sure how things will play out under the lights!
Thanks, Ryan! It's a pity that the format didn't allow us to hang out with you and 4 of your "teammates".
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

mrbungle wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:50 am congratulations again on the wins, leszek! i of course know you as a storied jeopardy legend, but i also remember watching you on grand slam. it was an honor to play against you, and i am really happy to hear that your experience on this show was such a good one. i *really* like the GSN people! :)
Jeez, Ryan, I thought you had spoiled me on yesterday's episode (my fault for looking in the thread before watching the episode) by using 'wins'. Boy was I disappointed to see the Leszek didn't win again! He was certainly one of the best contestants they've had on there. A thousand poxes on you, good sir!
Ivoryface86

Post by Ivoryface86 »

Well there you go, as seen in the promos for several months now, Tim is the last-aired $10,000 winner of the season and if I'm not mistaking, this is only the 3rd or 4th time there have 2 $10,000 wins in the same aired week, whether as Best Ever Trivia Show or Master Minds. Since Master Minds is getting renewed for Season 3(2nd season as MM, 3rd season altogether), one can hope that Tim defends his championship on the first-aired episode of the 3rd overall season.
mrbungle

Post by mrbungle »

alietr wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:05 pm A thousand poxes on you, good sir!
poxes received. :mrgreen:
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Stats through the 6/26 season finale:
Spoiler

Appearances
Muffy: 65
Jonathan: 60
Ken: 48
Arianna: 8
LaKedra: 7
Ryan: 7

Bonus Round Outright Wins
Ken: 28
Muffy: 12
Jonathan: 4
Arianna: 3
Ryan: 3
LaKedra: 1

Bonus Round Losses
Muffy: 3
Jonathan: 2

Bonus Round Ties
Ken: 5 (Contestants Missed, Correct, Missed, Missed, Missed)
Muffy: 2 (Contestant Correct both times on Tiebreaker)
Jonathan: 1 (Contestant Missed Tiebreaker)
Ryan: 1 (Contestant Correct on Tiebreaker)

Master Mind Bonus Round Average Score (Out of possible 5)
LaKedra: 5 (1 time)
Jonathan: 4 (7 times)
Ken: 4 (33 times)
Ryan: 3.75 (4 times)
Muffy: 3.47 (17 times)
Arianna: 2.67 (3 times)

Bonus Round 5/5 by Master Mind
Ken: 11
Muffy: 2
Jonathan: 1
Arianna: 0
Ryan: 0

Bonus Round Wins By Contestant
4/10 - Marshall (4-3 against Muffy)
4/20 - Simon (2-1 against Muffy)
5/6 - Joe (3-2 against Muffy)
5/19 - Morgan (4-3 against Jonathan)
5/20 - Morgan (3-3 against Muffy)
6/1 - Charles (4-3 against Jonathan)
6/2 - Charles (4-4 against Ken)
6/24 - Leszek (3-3 against Ryan)
6/26 - Tim (3-3 against Muffy)

Master Mind Wins Against Other Master Minds
Ken: 33
Muffy: 17
Jonathan: 7
Ryan: 4

Master Mind Eliminated After Second Round
Jonathan: 31
Muffy: 23
Ken: 5
LaKedra: 2
Ryan: 1

Master Mind Runner-Up Against Other Master Minds
Muffy: 25
Jonathan: 22
Ken: 10
LaKedra: 4
Arianna: 2
Ryan: 2

Average 3-Round Score Per Appearance
Ken: 4235
Ryan: 3186
Arianna: 2663
Muffy: 2631
LaKedra: 2314
Jonathan: 1465

Highest Scores by Master Minds through 3 Rounds
Muffy: 7700
Ken: 7400
LaKedra: 5700
Arianna: 5100
Jonathan: 5100
Ryan: 4600

Master Mind Wins from Left Position

Master MInd Wins from Center Position

Master Mind Wins from Right Position
Ken only played against Muffy and Jonathan, so that was the line-up for 48/65 shows.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:54 am Appearances
Muffy: 65
Jonathan: 60
Ken: 48
Arianna: 8
LaKedra: 7
Ryan: 7
I'm surprised it's this lopsided.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

I happened to watch the July 2 rerun of The Chase, and an announcer said something about it being followed by a "brand new Master Minds". My DVR and I had thought that all of the new episodes had already been broadcast. Can anyone shed more light on this?