Fun with GSN's "Master Minds"

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

alietr
Site Admin

Re: Fun with GSN's "Master Minds"

Post by alietr »

econgator wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:41 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:37 pm
That's the better way to run the final round in having it done in one play instead of times three like last season.
Absolutely. I'm glad they did it that way, although I could have lived with twice (contestant answers, MM comes out and answers and contestant's response is immediately revealed).
I used to fast forward through 1 and 2, so this is a definite improvement.
goongas
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by goongas »

I like the final round change (I think the audience needs to see the MM answer, if they let the MM answer off stage, there would be conspiracy theories. I know, if they really want to rig it, they could give the MMs the answers in advance, etc.). I also felt Brooke was more at ease and comfortable than last season.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

At some point, they need to have Brooke stop telling us the rules for every round. Or summarize faster. That part is another FF.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Today there was a question that said something along the lines of, "Although it may hurt a bit, an epilator allows you to remove this."

One of the contestants said
Spoiler
gall bladder.
I suspect that would hurt more than a bit. :)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

econgator wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:47 pm Today there was a question that said something along the lines of, "Although it may hurt a bit, an epilator allows you to remove this."

Spoiler
gall bladder.
My four scars cringed on that miss. I matched Ken for the probe and laughed at Mir.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:39 pm I matched Ken for the probe and laughed at Mir.
Same here.
goongas

Post by goongas »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:39 pm
econgator wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:47 pm Today there was a question that said something along the lines of, "Although it may hurt a bit, an epilator allows you to remove this."

Spoiler
gall bladder.
My four scars cringed on that miss. I matched Ken for the probe and laughed at Mir.
I think that is one of the funniest wrong answers given on a quiz game show of all time.
goongas

Post by goongas »

alietr wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:23 am At some point, they need to have Brooke stop telling us the rules for every round. Or summarize faster. That part is another FF.
Yeah, I would have thought they would have cut some of her scripted explanations this season, but they haven't. They eventually need to take away the teleprompter from her, she is good enough not to need it.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Memo to self to add a line (whenever the archive is back working) for Alex Maggio as that had to be him on the 12/9 show.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

0/6 for horse's walk. Thought at least one of the Master Minds would have took a little time to think that if you hear all four of the horse's steps, it would have to be going very slow.

Alex played the best out of the contestants in Round 1, but unfortunately didn't get any opportunities in Round 2. This was followed by a pretty underplayed Round 3 by the remaining challengers.

It made me wonder wether Muffy and the contestant guessed Shilling or if they did the math like me:

240 pence in pre-decimal pound
12 pence in a shilling
240/12 == 20
Douglas Squasoni
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:32 am It made me wonder wether Muffy and the contestant guessed Shilling or if they did the math like me:

12 pence in a shilling
240/12 == 20
Why would you do the math? It wasn't a pence or a farthing, and that only leaves a shilling IIRC.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

alietr wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:17 am
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:32 am It made me wonder wether Muffy and the contestant guessed Shilling or if they did the math like me:

12 pence in a shilling
240/12 == 20
Why would you do the math? It wasn't a pence or a farthing, and that only leaves a shilling IIRC.
To show off.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:32 am 0/6 for horse's walk. Thought at least one of the Master Minds would have took a little time to think that if you hear all four of the horse's steps, it would have to be going very slow.
I have absolutely nothing to do with horses, but I have a vague memory of learning something about horses' gaits at some time in the past--I can't remember why. I remembered that the gallop is a (fast) four-beat gait, the canter is a three-beat gait, and the trot is a two-beat gait. I expected "gallop" to be one of the choices; when it wasn't, I should have gotten "walk" by process of elimination, but didn't go through the thought process quickly enough.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Evil on my part, but I loved that (12/10 show)
Spoiler
Matthew was smart enough to get the first six right and then could not name the tennis tournament played on grass, even with multiple choice.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

I said the exact same thing!
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Stats through the 12/7/20 week:
Spoiler
Appearances
Jonathan: 5
Ken: 5
Muffy: 5

Bonus Round Outright Wins
Ken: 3
Jonathan: 1
Muffy: 1

Bonus Round Losses
None

Bonus Round Ties
None

Master Mind Bonus Round Average Score (Out of possible 5)
Ken: 4 (3 times)
Muffy: 4 (1 time)
Jonathan: 3 (1 time)

Bonus Round 5/5 by Master Mind
Ken: 1

Bonus Round Wins By Contestant
None

Master Mind Wins Against Other Master Minds
Ken: 3

Master Mind Eliminated After Second Round
Jonathan: 3

Master Mind Runner-Up Against Other Master Minds
Muffy: 3

Average 3-Round Score Per Appearance
Ken: 3503
Muffy: 3060
Jonathan: 1440

Highest Scores by Master Minds through 3 Rounds
Muffy: 5200
Ken: 4800
Jonathan: 4100

Master Mind Wins from Left Position

Master MInd Wins from Center Position

Master Mind Wins from Right Position
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Do the contestants get anything for their efforts even when they lose?
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

I believe Friday's winner was Jason Luna, the $1,000,000 winner on 1 vs. 100.
Douglas Squasoni
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I still don't see what the 'strategy' part of the show is.

In the first round, when a contestant gets a question right, Brooke usually says something along the lines of "You knew that one." They have a 1 out of 3 chance. A lot of the time they just got lucky, Brooke.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

alietr wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:36 am I still don't see what the 'strategy' part of the show is.

In the first round, when a contestant gets a question right, Brooke usually says something along the lines of "You knew that one." They have a 1 out of 3 chance. A lot of the time they just got lucky, Brooke.
In advertising terms, I think you could call it "puffery" - it's just a slogan. I don't expect State Farm to be there, and I think that Papa Johns has neither better ingredients nor better pizza than my local pizza shop.

But to your point, while it has minimal strategy, there IS a tiny bit of strategy, although it's certainly not the star of the show. Like J!, you get points deducted when you get a question wrong in round 2, so knowing the relative scores and how many questions are left should play into your buzzer threshold. And I suppose you could stall during round 3 (the speed round) to run out the clock if you're ahead.

But overall, you're right - strategy in Master Minds is minimal (other than pre-show, which I would call prep and not strategy.) And that's especially true compared to our favorite show, J!. J! has buzzer threshold strategy, clue selection strategy, DD wagering strategy, FJ! wagering strategy, and perhaps even stalling for the "one minute to go" strategy ("I will take American history throughout the nineteen hundred and forties for 400 dollars, Alex Trebek")

How they have a group of "Master Minds" on the show but didn't figure out out to fix the final round until season 2 is beyond me, but I'm glad they did it. Maybe they just were worried that they'd have boring contestants, so they needed filler instead of interviews.