Fun with GSN's "Master Minds"

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

User avatar
LucarioSnooperVixey
Darling Sillyclaws
Posts: 1802
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:41 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: Fun with GSN's "Master Minds"

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

The Vicar of WHAT?!?!

For Jonathan, Anne Boleyn was executed in 1536. Also the year that Catherine of Aragon died.

User avatar
econgator
Let's Go Mets!
Posts: 9359
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:32 am

Re: Fun with GSN's "Master Minds"

Post by econgator »

That Verne question was some serious negbait.

User avatar
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 12060
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: Fun with GSN's "Master Minds"

Post by MarkBarrett »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:18 pm
The Vicar of WHAT?!?!

For Jonathan, Anne Boleyn was executed in 1536. Also the year that Catherine of Aragon died.
Westminster

Yeah, even a general sense of who ruled England when should prevent the Boleyn guess. That's okay Jonathan got the win and whupped Ken's tail.
econgator wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:30 pm
That Verne question was some serious negbait.
No argument from me as I never even thought the guys' miss and instead tossed a coin between volcano steam for Center of the Earth and land reference for 20,000.

***********
The first $10K winner of the season came in the 12th game. There now have been 12 games without a $10K winner. Is one due?

Last season Ken was in the first 21 games before Arianna played. This season it's 24 so far with the same three master minds.

Ken has only won once in the past five games, so I suspect Brooke may be a little inconsistent in Q reading pace as Ken's timing cannot have slipped so badly.

User avatar
alietr
Site Admin
Posts: 7559
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Bethesda, MD

Re: Fun with GSN's "Master Minds"

Post by alietr »

econgator wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:30 pm
That Verne question was some serious negbait.
I dunno, both parts of the clue indicated a nautical theme to me, though I had a feeling at least one of them would say ATWIED.

User avatar
econgator
Let's Go Mets!
Posts: 9359
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:32 am

Re: Fun with GSN's "Master Minds"

Post by econgator »

alietr wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:07 pm
econgator wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:30 pm
That Verne question was some serious negbait.
I dunno, both parts of the clue indicated a nautical theme to me, though I had a feeling at least one of them would say ATWIED.
80 Days has travel by both train and steamer, so it fits perfectly -- the steamers go "Full Steam Ahead" and then they're back on land for the trains. Also, the Nautilus doesn't work on steam, so "Full Steam Ahead" makes less sense there.

User avatar
alietr
Site Admin
Posts: 7559
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Bethesda, MD

Re: Fun with GSN's "Master Minds"

Post by alietr »

econgator wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:04 pm
alietr wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:07 pm
econgator wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:30 pm
That Verne question was some serious negbait.
I dunno, both parts of the clue indicated a nautical theme to me, though I had a feeling at least one of them would say ATWIED.
80 Days has travel by both train and steamer, so it fits perfectly -- the steamers go "Full Steam Ahead" and then they're back on land for the trains. Also, the Nautilus doesn't work on steam, so "Full Steam Ahead" makes less sense there.
IIRC, it said "a brief stop on land", which meant to me that they are always at sea. A lot of ATWIED was on land, though they did travel by shop as well. I considered ATWIED (you obviously have to with Verne), but then dismissed it quickly.

User avatar
LucarioSnooperVixey
Darling Sillyclaws
Posts: 1802
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:41 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: Fun with GSN's "Master Minds"

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »


User avatar
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 12060
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: Fun with GSN's "Master Minds"

Post by MarkBarrett »

Stats through the 1/11/21 week:
Spoiler
Appearances
Jonathan: 26
Ken: 26
Muffy: 26

Bonus Round Outright Wins
Ken: 13
Muffy: 8
Jonathan: 3

Bonus Round Losses
None

Bonus Round Ties
Ken: 2 (Contestant Missed Tiebreaker & Contestant Correct on Tiebreaker)

Master Mind Bonus Round Percentage Correct
Ken: .743 (15 times) (Played 70 out of possible 75 questions)
Muffy: .595 (8 times) (Played 37 out of possible 40 questions)
Jonathan: .571 (3 times) (Played 14 out of possible 15 questions)

Bonus Round 5/5 by Master Mind
Ken: 2

Bonus Round 4/4 by Master Mind
Ken: 2

Bonus Round 3/3 by Master Mind
Ken: 1

Bonus Round Wins By Contestant
12/22/20 - Tyler (3-3 tiebreaker against Ken)

Master Mind Wins Against Other Master Minds
Ken: 15
Muffy: 8
Jonathan: 3

Master Mind Eliminated After Second Round
Jonathan: 11
Muffy: 9
Ken: 6

Master Mind Runner-Up Against Other Master Minds
Jonathan: 12
Muffy: 9
Ken: 5

Average 3-Round Score Per Appearance
Ken: 3388
Muffy: 2823
Jonathan: 1908

Highest Scores by Master Minds through 3 Rounds
Ken: 7200
Muffy: 7200
Jonathan: 7000

Master Mind Wins from Left Position
15

Master MInd Wins from Center Position
8

Master Mind Wins from Right Position
3

User avatar
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 12060
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: Fun with GSN's "Master Minds"

Post by MarkBarrett »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:06 pm
http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=7936 was on today's episode.
Line added on her J! player page, thanks. It looks like Julie has not posted since Sept. 2018.

User avatar
LucarioSnooperVixey
Darling Sillyclaws
Posts: 1802
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:41 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: Fun with GSN's "Master Minds"

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Today is the very first Master Minds episode without Muffy.

ClosingTime
Valued Contributor
Posts: 81
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:10 pm

Re: Fun with GSN's "Master Minds"

Post by ClosingTime »

One update to a recent question: the Marines changed their rule about a year ago and now all Marines are authorized to carry an umbrella in uniform, as long it is is black and carried in their left hand.

User avatar
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 12060
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: Fun with GSN's "Master Minds"

Post by MarkBarrett »

Great grandson of Ruth - Moses - :lol:

I did not get to laugh long as I guessed Garrison's newspaper instead of Douglass's.

User avatar
econgator
Let's Go Mets!
Posts: 9359
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:32 am

Re: Fun with GSN's "Master Minds"

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:39 pm
I guessed Garrison's newspaper instead of Douglass's.
Ditto

User avatar
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 12060
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: Fun with GSN's "Master Minds"

Post by MarkBarrett »

Stats through the 1/18/21 week:
Spoiler
Appearances
Jonathan: 31
Ken: 31
Muffy: 29
Arianna: 2

Bonus Round Outright Wins
Ken: 15
Muffy: 10
Jonathan: 3

Bonus Round Losses
None

Bonus Round Ties
Ken: 2 (Contestant Missed Tiebreaker & Contestant Correct on Tiebreaker)
Jonathan: 1 (Contestant Correct on Tiebreaker)

Master Mind Bonus Round Percentage Correct
Ken: .747 (17 times) (Played 79 out of possible 85 questions)
Muffy: .630 (10 times) (Played 46 out of possible 50 questions)
Jonathan: .579 (4 times) (Played 19 out of possible 20 questions)

Bonus Round 5/5 by Master Mind
Ken: 2

Bonus Round 4/4 by Master Mind
Ken: 2

Bonus Round 3/3 by Master Mind
Ken: 1

Bonus Round Wins By Contestant
12/22/20 - Tyler (3-3 tiebreaker against Ken)
1/19/21 - Hunter (3-3 tiebreaker against Jonathan)

Master Mind Wins Against Other Master Minds
Ken: 17
Muffy: 10
Jonathan: 4
Arianna: 0

Master Mind Eliminated After Second Round
Jonathan: 15
Muffy: 9
Ken: 6
Arianna: 1

Master Mind Runner-Up Against Other Master Minds
Jonathan: 12
Muffy: 10
Ken: 8
Arianna: 1

Average 3-Round Score Per Appearance
Ken: 3413
Muffy: 3145
Arianna: 2150
Jonathan: 1787

Highest Scores by Master Minds through 3 Rounds
Ken: 7200
Muffy: 7200
Jonathan: 7000
Arianna: 3700

Master Mind Wins from Left Position
17

Master MInd Wins from Center Position
10

Master Mind Wins from Right Position
4

User avatar
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal
Posts: 1863
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:55 am
Location: Missouri

Re: Fun with GSN's "Master Minds"

Post by Linear Gnome »

In Wednesday's game, Ken made a mistake in one of his "fun facts" comments. He said that the Germans used to refer to B flat as H; in fact, they used to refer to B flat as B and B natural as H. (I'm not sure the degree to which this is still practiced, but Ken definitely got it backwards.)

I think I recall other times when the Master Minds made minor misstatements. Although I don't expect them to have perfect recall about everything, I'm a tiny bit bothered about having uncorrected errors promulgated in a situation when people might be prone to file them away as fact without checking.

User avatar
alietr
Site Admin
Posts: 7559
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Bethesda, MD

Re: Fun with GSN's "Master Minds"

Post by alietr »

Linear Gnome wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:09 pm
In Wednesday's game, Ken made a mistake in one of his "fun facts" comments. He said that the Germans used to refer to B flat as H; in fact, they used to refer to B flat as B and B natural as H. (I'm not sure the degree to which this is still practiced, but Ken definitely got it backwards.)

I think I recall other times when the Master Minds made minor misstatements. Although I don't expect them to have perfect recall about everything, I'm a tiny bit bothered about having uncorrected errors promulgated in a situation when people might be prone to file them away as fact without checking.
Muffy's answer of "Stealth Bomber" was accepted for the F-117 (I think -A) question. It is a stealth attack aircraft, not a bomber. And I was shocked Ken couldn't pull that one. Stealth; that's a weird word.

User avatar
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 4921
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:34 pm
Location: Indianapolis, IN

Re: Fun with GSN's "Master Minds"

Post by jeff6286 »

alietr wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:19 am
Linear Gnome wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:09 pm
In Wednesday's game, Ken made a mistake in one of his "fun facts" comments. He said that the Germans used to refer to B flat as H; in fact, they used to refer to B flat as B and B natural as H. (I'm not sure the degree to which this is still practiced, but Ken definitely got it backwards.)

I think I recall other times when the Master Minds made minor misstatements. Although I don't expect them to have perfect recall about everything, I'm a tiny bit bothered about having uncorrected errors promulgated in a situation when people might be prone to file them away as fact without checking.
Muffy's answer of "Stealth Bomber" was accepted for the F-117 (I think -A) question. It is a stealth attack aircraft, not a bomber. And I was shocked Ken couldn't pull that one. Stealth; that's a weird word.
Sounded like he misunderstood a bit what it was asking. It said something like "the first of this type of anti-radar aircraft", he was essentially thinking "anti-radar" means stealth so theyre asking what type of stealth aircraft. Did he say fighter? And yeah Brooke said correct because stealth was the answer they wanted but stealth bomber should have been ruled wrong in my opinion.

User avatar
AFRET CMS
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 1272
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:48 pm
Location: Colorado

Re: Fun with GSN's "Master Minds"

Post by AFRET CMS »

jeff6286 wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:44 am
alietr wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:19 am
Linear Gnome wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:09 pm
In Wednesday's game, Ken made a mistake in one of his "fun facts" comments. He said that the Germans used to refer to B flat as H; in fact, they used to refer to B flat as B and B natural as H. (I'm not sure the degree to which this is still practiced, but Ken definitely got it backwards.)

I think I recall other times when the Master Minds made minor misstatements. Although I don't expect them to have perfect recall about everything, I'm a tiny bit bothered about having uncorrected errors promulgated in a situation when people might be prone to file them away as fact without checking.
Muffy's answer of "Stealth Bomber" was accepted for the F-117 (I think -A) question. It is a stealth attack aircraft, not a bomber. And I was shocked Ken couldn't pull that one. Stealth; that's a weird word.
Sounded like he misunderstood a bit what it was asking. It said something like "the first of this type of anti-radar aircraft", he was essentially thinking "anti-radar" means stealth so theyre asking what type of stealth aircraft. Did he say fighter? And yeah Brooke said correct because stealth was the answer they wanted but stealth bomber should have been ruled wrong in my opinion.
There's probably enough ambiguity in the nomenclature vs. use to make it acceptable. In general, and with exceptions, fighter aircraft like F-15s or F-16s have a primary mission of air-to-air combat. Attack aircraft like A-10s usually have a mission for low-level ground engagement with either bombs or guns (strafing), and bomber aircraft like B-52s and the B-1B usually drop weapons from higher altitude in level flight.

Some have multiple missions in the designation, like the FB-111 or the A/F-18.

But most of the aircraft can have multiple missions and uses -- F-15E "strike fighters" have primarily attack missions, and an A-10 shot down an Iraqi helicopter during Desert Storm. B-52s and B-1s can air-launch long-range standoff weapons like cruise missiles.

The F-117 is carries the "F" designation, but it was not designed for air-to-air engagement, and to the best of my knowledge, has never engaged in air-to-air combat. It was designed as a bomber, and that's the only mission it has ever carried out. I dimly recall some discussion years ago that the designation during its development may have been deliberately misleading for security reasons.

So -- designation is nominally "fighter," but the F-117 mission was bombing, and that's all it ever did. "Stealth" was the key word; I would have accepted "stealth fighter," "stealth bomber," or "stealth aircraft." Probably would have accepted just plain "stealthy."
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.

User avatar
alietr
Site Admin
Posts: 7559
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Bethesda, MD

Re: Fun with GSN's "Master Minds"

Post by alietr »

AFRET CMS wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:00 pm
So -- designation is nominally "fighter," but the F-117 mission was bombing, and that's all it ever did. "Stealth" was the key word; I would have accepted "stealth fighter," "stealth bomber," or "stealth aircraft." Probably would have accepted just plain "stealthy."
I will defer to your vastly superior knowledge.

talkingaway
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 969
Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:59 am

Re: Fun with GSN's "Master Minds"

Post by talkingaway »

Linear Gnome wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:09 pm
In Wednesday's game, Ken made a mistake in one of his "fun facts" comments. He said that the Germans used to refer to B flat as H; in fact, they used to refer to B flat as B and B natural as H. (I'm not sure the degree to which this is still practiced, but Ken definitely got it backwards.)

I think I recall other times when the Master Minds made minor misstatements. Although I don't expect them to have perfect recall about everything, I'm a tiny bit bothered about having uncorrected errors promulgated in a situation when people might be prone to file them away as fact without checking.
Are these really "fun facts" that they come up with on the top of their heads, or is there a screen on their lectern that they look at after the answer is revealed? Maybe I'm just too skeptical....

Post Reply