Fun with GSN's "Master Minds"

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: Fun with GSN's "Master Minds"

Post by seaborgium »

talkingaway wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:49 pm
Linear Gnome wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:09 pm In Wednesday's game, Ken made a mistake in one of his "fun facts" comments. He said that the Germans used to refer to B flat as H; in fact, they used to refer to B flat as B and B natural as H. (I'm not sure the degree to which this is still practiced, but Ken definitely got it backwards.)

I think I recall other times when the Master Minds made minor misstatements. Although I don't expect them to have perfect recall about everything, I'm a tiny bit bothered about having uncorrected errors promulgated in a situation when people might be prone to file them away as fact without checking.
Are these really "fun facts" that they come up with on the top of their heads, or is there a screen on their lectern that they look at after the answer is revealed? Maybe I'm just too skeptical....
Someone tweeted at Ken last year complaining that they said Cedar Point was in Dayton when it's actually in Sandusky, and Ken responded, "lol we told them this and I was told to read the bonus facts as written [shrug emoji]".
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:19 pm
Linear Gnome wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:09 pm In Wednesday's game, Ken made a mistake in one of his "fun facts" comments. He said that the Germans used to refer to B flat as H; in fact, they used to refer to B flat as B and B natural as H. (I'm not sure the degree to which this is still practiced, but Ken definitely got it backwards.)

I think I recall other times when the Master Minds made minor misstatements. Although I don't expect them to have perfect recall about everything, I'm a tiny bit bothered about having uncorrected errors promulgated in a situation when people might be prone to file them away as fact without checking.
Are these really "fun facts" that they come up with on the top of their heads, or is there a screen on their lectern that they look at after the answer is revealed? Maybe I'm just too skeptical....
Someone tweeted at Ken last year complaining that they said Cedar Point was in Dayton when it's actually in Sandusky, and Ken responded, "lol we told them this and I was told to read the bonus facts as written [shrug emoji]".
I only watched this show once and one reason is the annoying canned pronouncements. I prefer the backstage comments on The Chase because I'm fairly confident they are spontaneous...
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

alietr wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:04 pm
AFRET CMS wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:00 pm So -- designation is nominally "fighter," but the F-117 mission was bombing, and that's all it ever did. "Stealth" was the key word; I would have accepted "stealth fighter," "stealth bomber," or "stealth aircraft." Probably would have accepted just plain "stealthy."
I will defer to your vastly superior knowledge.
I wouldn't call it "vastly superior," it's just one of my niches.

I find one instance in the archive when Jeopardy had "Warbirds" as a category (http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4858). I have to admit I really would have liked to have seen it as a DJ category during my brief time, with really arcane questions and a DD. Alas, t'was not to be.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

AFRET CMS wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:24 pm
alietr wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:04 pm
AFRET CMS wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:00 pm So -- designation is nominally "fighter," but the F-117 mission was bombing, and that's all it ever did. "Stealth" was the key word; I would have accepted "stealth fighter," "stealth bomber," or "stealth aircraft." Probably would have accepted just plain "stealthy."
I will defer to your vastly superior knowledge.
I wouldn't call it "vastly superior," it's just one of my niches.

I find one instance in the archive when Jeopardy had "Warbirds" as a category (http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4858). I have to admit I really would have liked to have seen it as a DJ category during my brief time, with really arcane questions and a DD. Alas, t'was not to be.
Fairy easy category (although it does make me put in an correction request. They have Alex saying, "... the Super Fortress.", when the plane was called the Superfortress).
Leander

Post by Leander »

davey wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:33 pm

I only watched this show once and one reason is the annoying canned pronouncements. I prefer the backstage comments on The Chase because I'm fairly confident they are spontaneous...
While I still watch Master Minds, although not every day, I really really hate the little factoids too. It always seems awkward, like the smart person at the back of the class trying to impress teacher Brooke with how smart they are.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

Leander wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:07 pm
davey wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:33 pm

While I still watch Master Minds, although not every day, I really really hate the little factoids too. It always seems awkward, like the smart person at the back of the class trying to impress teacher Brooke with how smart they are.
Thanks for the information/insight into this. I fail to understand why the producers would want any of the bonus "facts" to be inccorrect, but I guess that's something I don't need to know.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Stats through the 1/25/21 week:
Spoiler
Appearances
Ken: 36
Jonathan: 35
Muffy: 34
Arianna: 2
Lakedra: 1

Bonus Round Outright Wins
Ken: 17
Muffy: 12
Jonathan: 3

Bonus Round Losses
None

Bonus Round Ties
Ken: 2 (Contestant Missed Tiebreaker & Contestant Correct on Tiebreaker)
Jonathan: 1 (Contestant Correct on Tiebreaker)

Master Mind Bonus Round Percentage Correct
Ken: .761 (19 times) (Played 88 out of possible 95 questions)
Muffy: .636 (12 times) (Played 55 out of possible 60 questions)
Lakedra: .600 (1 time) (Played 5 out of possible 5 questions)
Jonathan: .579 (4 times) (Played 19 out of possible 20 questions)

Bonus Round 5/5 by Master Mind
Ken: 3

Bonus Round 4/4 by Master Mind
Ken: 2
Muffy: 1

Bonus Round 3/3 by Master Mind
Ken: 1

Bonus Round Wins By Contestant
12/22/20 - Tyler (3-3 tiebreaker against Ken)
1/19/21 - Hunter (3-3 tiebreaker against Jonathan)

Master Mind Wins Against Other Master Minds
Ken: 19
Jonathan: 4
Arianna: 0

Master Mind Eliminated After Second Round
Jonathan: 18
Muffy: 10
Ken: 7
Arianna: 1

Master Mind Runner-Up Against Other Master Minds
Jonathan: 13
Ken: 10

Average 3-Round Score Per Appearance
Lakedra: 4300
Ken: 3497
Muffy: 3132
Arianna: 2150
Jonathan: 1694

Highest Scores by Master Minds through 3 Rounds
Ken: 7200
Muffy: 7200
Jonathan: 7000
Arianna: 3700

Master Mind Wins from Left Position

Master MInd Wins from Center Position

Master Mind Wins from Right Position
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

it only took 39 episodes for ryan to make his first appearance this season as a master mind. 6/7 in the first round was not enough to move on after 0/0 in the second round for not getting in on the five questions.
Ivoryface86

Post by Ivoryface86 »

If I'm not mistaken, this current season ends on March 11. The current season of Get a Clue runs through April 2 and People Puzzler airs first-run through April 16. Maybe Master Minds can join the Newlywed Game, Catch 21, Lingo and now America Says(a lot will depend on the pandemic for the latter) as the only Originals to have 4 seasons.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

I'm guessing they go back and re-tape some of those facts. I noticed today that during the next-to-last clue in the 2nd round, Ken was up on Muffy 900-600, but when they cut to Jonathan for the fact, it showed Muffy with 1000 (and she did, indeed, get the final clue correct).
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Ivoryface86 wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:30 pm Maybe Master Minds can join the Newlywed Game, Catch 21, Lingo and now America Says(a lot will depend on the pandemic for the latter) as the only Originals to have 4 seasons.
IdioTest also ran for 4 seasons.
Douglas Squasoni
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

econgator wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:42 pm I'm guessing they go back and re-tape some of those facts. I noticed today that during the next-to-last clue in the 2nd round, Ken was up on Muffy 900-600, but when they cut to Jonathan for the fact, it showed Muffy with 1000 (and she did, indeed, get the final clue correct).
I sometimes wonder if, for the first season, they changed the order of the questions of the final round when airing. For 65 games, I don't think there was a situation where, after 4 questions, they both gave the same answer to the fifth question. Maybe that never happened organically, but I kind of doubt it. Such a situation would be anticlimactic if aired that way - you know who won immediately, or you know it's a tie.

They could easily air the five questions out of order so that the last question always has two different answers.

Again, it could be my faulty memory. Or it could be just coincidence. But MM seems a lot more processed than J! - particularly with the "fun facts".

Anyone know when they taped Season 2? In this week's batch of episodes, Ken seems a little bit off in terms of his emotes. Perhaps early November?
mrbungle

Post by mrbungle »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:35 pm it only took 39 episodes for ryan to make his first appearance this season as a master mind. 6/7 in the first round was not enough to move on after 0/0 in the second round for not getting in on the five questions.
it's tough to step in cold against the buzzer master!
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

talkingaway wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:24 pm
econgator wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:42 pm I'm guessing they go back and re-tape some of those facts. I noticed today that during the next-to-last clue in the 2nd round, Ken was up on Muffy 900-600, but when they cut to Jonathan for the fact, it showed Muffy with 1000 (and she did, indeed, get the final clue correct).
I sometimes wonder if, for the first season, they changed the order of the questions of the final round when airing. For 65 games, I don't think there was a situation where, after 4 questions, they both gave the same answer to the fifth question. Maybe that never happened organically, but I kind of doubt it. Such a situation would be anticlimactic if aired that way - you know who won immediately, or you know it's a tie.
They 100% did. I remember hearing some of the contestants say they went out of order in order to increase the tension in the final round.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

teapot37 wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:02 pm
talkingaway wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:24 pm
They 100% did. I remember hearing some of the contestants say they went out of order in order to increase the tension in the final round.
Yup. You notice there are few to no cuts away from Brooke like there were in S1.
LucarioSnooperVixey

Master Minds were 0/3 in Pharaoh's Daughter. Not expected.

$10k winners are 0 for 3 in making it to the Final Round a second time.

Easy final five questions in this episode.
Douglas Squasoni
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:47 pm Master Minds were 0/3 in Pharaoh's Daughter. Not expected.

$10k winners are 0 for 3 in making it to the Final Round a second time.

Easy final five questions in this episode.
If only they'd aired the episode a few days ago. For the question about the Dartmouth grad who had a medical school named after him - I quasi-guessed that one. I might have read it somewhere, or maybe it was 100% a guess. I then would have made the Dartmouth-Seuss connection that would have given me an easy path to FJ! victory.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Yes, funny to see the Dartmouth alum Q and I agree that was one of the easiest 5/5s I have had.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Stats through the 2/1/21 week:
Spoiler
Appearances
Ken: 41
Jonathan: 39
Muffy: 38
Arianna: 2
Lakedra: 2
Ryan: 1

Bonus Round Outright Wins
Ken: 19
Muffy: 13
Jonathan: 4

Bonus Round Losses
Muffy: 1 (2/4/21 - Tony: 4-3)

Bonus Round Ties
Ken: 2 (Contestant Missed Tiebreaker & Contestant Correct on Tiebreaker)
Jonathan: 1 (Contestant Correct on Tiebreaker)

Master Mind Bonus Round Percentage Correct
Ken: .773 (21 times) (Played 97 out of possible 105 questions)
Muffy: .677 (14 times) (Played 65 out of possible 70 questions)
Lakedra: .600 (1 time) (Played 5 out of possible 5 questions)
Jonathan: .565 (5 times) (Played 23 out of possible 25 questions)

Bonus Round 5/5 by Master Mind
Ken: 4

Bonus Round 4/4 by Master Mind
Ken: 2

Bonus Round 3/3 by Master Mind
Ken: 1

Bonus Round Wins By Contestant
12/22/20 - Tyler (3-3 tiebreaker against Ken)
1/19/21 - Hunter (3-3 tiebreaker against Jonathan)
2/4/21 - Tony (4-3 against Muffy)

Master Mind Wins Against Other Master Minds
Ken: 21
Muffy: 14
Jonathan: 5
Arianna: 0
Ryan: 0

Master Mind Eliminated After Second Round
Jonathan: 19
Ken: 8
Ryan: 1
Lakedra: 0

Master Mind Runner-Up Against Other Master Minds
Jonathan: 15
Ken: 12

Average 3-Round Score Per Appearance
Lakedra: 4050
Ken: 3429
Muffy: 3124
Arianna: 2150
Jonathan: 1772
Ryan: 600

Highest Scores by Master Minds through 3 Rounds
Ken: 7200
Muffy: 7200
Jonathan: 7000
Arianna: 3700
Ryan: 600

Master Mind Wins from Left Position

Master MInd Wins from Center Position

Master Mind Wins from Right Position
LucarioSnooperVixey

How the heck did none of the Master Minds get the moon? Were they even thinking? About weight? The tides?

An anemometer measuring the speed of breathing is new to me. I thought that was called a spirometer.
Douglas Squasoni