Fun with GSN's "Master Minds"

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Re: Fun with GSN's "Master Minds"

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Linear Gnome wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:14 am I happened to watch the July 2 rerun of The Chase, and an announcer said something about it being followed by a "brand new Master Minds". My DVR and I had thought that all of the new episodes had already been broadcast. Can anyone shed more light on this?
If you look at some earlier posts, the season finale was originally going to be on July 3, but one week had two episodes per day. GSN probably hadn't fully adjusted schedule.
Douglas Squasoni
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:43 am
Linear Gnome wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:14 am I happened to watch the July 2 rerun of The Chase, and an announcer said something about it being followed by a "brand new Master Minds". My DVR and I had thought that all of the new episodes had already been broadcast. Can anyone shed more light on this?
If you look at some earlier posts, the season finale was originally going to be on July 3, but one week had two episodes per day. GSN probably hadn't fully adjusted schedule.
Oh, that makes sense. Thanks.
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Yeah I found out about the week of 8:30 PM games on that Tuesday and recorded the last 4 of them, so when last week's games came around, my DVR picked up Monday's and skipped the latter 4 since I had already watched them.
kprather895
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kprather895 »

The final question on today's rerun was "What continent lies in all four hemispheres?" The answer was Africa, but I can't figure out why Asia wouldn't be right as well. Indonesia crosses into the southern hemisphere, and Russia stretches into the western hemisphere near Alaska.
leszekp
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by leszekp »

kprather895 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:43 pm The final question on today's rerun was "What continent lies in all four hemispheres?" The answer was Africa, but I can't figure out why Asia wouldn't be right as well. Indonesia crosses into the southern hemisphere, and Russia stretches into the western hemisphere near Alaska.
Indonesia is sometimes considered to be split between Asia and Oceania. Some consider the latter a continent, others don't. I am ambivalent.
LucarioSnooperVixey

kprather895 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:43 pm Russia stretches into the western hemisphere near Alaska.
The International Date Line fixes the border between Eastern and Western Hemisphere. But I don't know why they say that Africa is in all four hemispheres as the (0,0) coordinate is to the bottom left of Africa in the Atlantic and not even Sao Tome and Principe, nor Equatorial Guinea's Bioko Island are in the southwestern hemisphere.
Douglas Squasoni
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:23 pm
kprather895 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:43 pm Russia stretches into the western hemisphere near Alaska.
The International Date Line fixes the border between Eastern and Western Hemisphere. But I don't know why they say that Africa is in all four hemispheres as the (0,0) coordinate is to the bottom left of Africa in the Atlantic and not even Sao Tome and Principe, nor Equatorial Guinea's Bioko Island are in the southwestern hemisphere.
"Southwestern hemisphere" is not a hemisphere. (Hemisemisphere?) Parts of Africa are west and east of the prime meridian, and parts of Africa are north and south of the equator, and that's all that's necessary for it to have land in all four hemispheres. A function needn't fall into all four quadrants to have positive and negative values for x and y.
LucarioSnooperVixey

Just had this one in Jeopardy! Words.
4E73E457-183E-42E7-88E3-30D93D6EDBDC.jpeg
4E73E457-183E-42E7-88E3-30D93D6EDBDC.jpeg (238.66 KiB) Viewed 4778 times
Douglas Squasoni
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:51 pm Just had this one in Jeopardy! Words.

4E73E457-183E-42E7-88E3-30D93D6EDBDC.jpeg
*growls, crumples up recipe for Chicken a la Gink*
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
leszekp
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by leszekp »

Five months too late for me.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

leszekp wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:13 pm ...And with all due respect to Master Trebek, Brooke Burns has to be the nicest, friendliest host I've met. Easy on the eyes, too. :)
I guess there's a little "lech" in Leszek. ;)

BTW, I've always been a little jealous of your avatar photo. I am pretty sure where that is. I would love to see it, but not sure about hiking it.
OCSam
leszekp
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by leszekp »

Photo was taken at "The Wave", a famous rock formation in Northern AZ. Not easy to get a permit to - half by advance reservation, half by daily lottery. Round trip hike is about 6.2 miles, and requires the ability to follow a route marked by cairns over slick rock. Brutally hot in the summer time, with little shade - deaths are not unheard of if you don't bring enough water and aren't used to the heat.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

Yep, that's the spot. Vermilion Cliffs area west of Page.

My wife and I would visit the region every few years for our anniversary. We were married on the beach at Lee's Ferry.
OCSam
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

On Facebook I've seen some reports of taping dates on Oct. 20, 21 & 22 with some J! players booked. Taping will be in Sylmar and not Studio City.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

leszekp wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:42 pm Photo was taken at "The Wave", a famous rock formation in Northern AZ. Not easy to get a permit to - half by advance reservation, half by daily lottery. Round trip hike is about 6.2 miles, and requires the ability to follow a route marked by cairns over slick rock. Brutally hot in the summer time, with little shade - deaths are not unheard of if you don't bring enough water and aren't used to the heat.
The drive into the starting point is also best negotiated by 4WD vehicle with good clearance. BLM is not noted for their road maintenance, but The Wave is well worth seeing. When we were there, reservations were coordinated through N Ariz University in Flagstaff.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The J! marathon had promos that the new season starts on Monday, December 7th.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:13 pm The J! marathon had promos that the new season starts on Monday, December 7th.
Yeah, my DVR shows a new episode at 4PM.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

It's back, pretty much looking the same except for -- obviously -- a socially distanced set and a change to the final round where the contestant and MM simultaneously hear the question and write down the answer (similar to round 2).
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

econgator wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:45 pm It's back, pretty much looking the same except for -- obviously -- a socially distanced set and a change to the final round where the contestant and MM simultaneously hear the question and write down the answer (similar to round 2).
That's the better way to run the final round in having it done in one play instead of times three like last season.

The episode was titled "Trivia, Smarts & Liberty" while it should have been called "S.O.S."
Spoiler
1. Ken, Muffy & Jonathan were the Master Minds.
2. Jonathan was eliminated first.
3. Muffy had the lead in round three.
4. Ken overtook the lead.
5. The contestant did not win the $10,000.
6. Ken got all five right to end the show.

Same old stuff
I'm glad GSN brought back the show and found a way to get a season done in these pandemic times.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:37 pm
That's the better way to run the final round in having it done in one play instead of times three like last season.
Absolutely. I'm glad they did it that way, although I could have lived with twice (contestant answers, MM comes out and answers and contestant's response is immediately revealed).