Software Upgrade

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: Software Upgrade

Post by Bamaman »

econgator wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:20 pm
Bamaman wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:14 am There isn’t a link to the game discussions board at the bottom of the page. So you either have to scroll back to the top or click board index at the bottom and then click on game discussions.
Mine shows just fine.

Chrome Version 81.0.4044.92 and Edge Version 80.0.361.111
I have no idea what my version is but it isn’t on my phone.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Bamaman wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:54 pm
Bamaman wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:14 am There isn’t a link to the game discussions board at the bottom of the page. So you either have to scroll back to the top or click board index at the bottom and then click on game discussions.
Mine shows just fine.

Still? It should be OK now.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

alietr wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:57 pm
Bamaman wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:54 pm
Mine shows just fine.

Still? It should be OK now.
Nope.
E078A75A-7056-4432-BDFB-E458907C52C5.png
E078A75A-7056-4432-BDFB-E458907C52C5.png (289.84 KiB) Viewed 3878 times
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I just clicked on Board Index at the bottom and it took me to the Game Discussions page so it’s all good.
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

alietr wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:41 pm
heppm01 wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:28 am I don't know if this is related to the upgrade or something on my end, but my browser tabs for this site no longer show the mini-icon. Firefox on Windows.
If you're talking about what I think you're talking about, it seems to work for me. But anyway, Robert gave me the fix, and I put it in. Hopefully that fixed the issue for you.
Yep, I wasn't seeing it either, just restarted my browser and now it's there. Is a meaningless thing but I missed it too!
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

jeff6286 wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:44 pm
alietr wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:41 pm
heppm01 wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:28 am I don't know if this is related to the upgrade or something on my end, but my browser tabs for this site no longer show the mini-icon. Firefox on Windows.
If you're talking about what I think you're talking about, it seems to work for me. But anyway, Robert gave me the fix, and I put it in. Hopefully that fixed the issue for you.
Yep, I wasn't seeing it either, just restarted my browser and now it's there. Is a meaningless thing but I missed it too!
Still missing after restart for me. Up to date Firefox 64-bit on Windows 7. JBoard tabs look sad and uninteresting.

EDIT: Update! I cleared my cache (just the cache, not cookies and site data) and viola! The cheery little tab icon is back.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

A Shift+Refresh or Ctrl+Refresh would have done the trick, too.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Robert K S wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:23 pm A Shift+Refresh or Ctrl+Refresh would have done the trick, too.
No. No it wouldn't. Tried that SEVERAL times.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Huh. Worked for me. :(
kablamfan11
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by kablamfan11 »

Worked for me on my Dell laptop with Windows XP.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Yeah, I totally get how it ought to have worked. Not sure why it didn't in my case. But Ctrl-F5 was the first thing I tried after Andy announced it was fixed. Then I tried restarting Firefox. Then I tried Ctrl-F5 again. Then I left it alone for a while to see if it would repair itself. Then--and this is the part that either makes it doubly mysterious or, for someone smarter than me, explains the whole thing--I opened up Chrome and tried looking a JBoard and that tab didn't have the proper logo either. But I didn't realize that at the time because Chrome stuck in a placeholder icon whereas Firefox just had no icon at all.

Then I tried the cache-clearing trick, because that's easier than a system reboot. And the icon/logo showed up in Firefox on a regular refresh (I think). So... huh.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

It is possible that your Ctrl+F5 attempts came in the window between when Andy implemented my suggested code fix (and advertised that the problem should be solved, even if it wasn't, actually, because his browser was somehow still caching the old icon) and when I realized that the favicon.ico file also needed to be re-uploaded because the upgrade deleted the file.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Robert K S wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:58 pm It is possible that your Ctrl+F5 attempts came in the window between when Andy implemented my suggested code fix (and advertised that the problem should be solved, even if it wasn't, actually, because his browser was somehow still caching the old icon) and when I realized that the favicon.ico file also needed to be re-uploaded because the upgrade deleted the file.
I've been musing over the timing, yeah. As the flow above records, it was after jeff6286 said the icon was working for him that I replied it still wasn't working for me. I didn't post that until I'd tried the usual tricks--Ctrl+F5, restart Firefox. So there was a point where at least one poster with apparently the same problem saw the problem go away while I was still experiencing it.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I believe I have the video embedding working properly again (e.g., see my post in the 4/30 thread). It should recognize a video link, but there is also a BBC tag to the left of the image= tag when posting. Let me know if you're having problems.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

alietr wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 8:06 am I believe I have the video embedding working properly again (e.g., see my post in the 4/30 thread). It should recognize a video link, but there is also a BBC tag to the left of the image= tag when posting. Let me know if you're having problems.
Not working for me. When I try to post the same video you used, like this:

{media}

I get: "You cannot use certain BBCodes: {media}."

And when I click the quote button to reply to your post in that thread, the quoted result strips out the {media} tags. (I take your word for it that they were there.) And when I preview my reply, there is no longer an embedded video, just a link.

Perhaps there's something you need to do to extend media-posting privileges to non-administrators?

[Curly braces {} substituted for brackets because post errors out otherwise]
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

It should work with just the URL. It should recognize it automatically without any BBCode.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

alietr wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 10:20 am It should work with just the URL. It should recognize it automatically without any BBCode.
It's working now anyway. My previous post now appears with an embedded video. When I posted it, it only showed up as a link.

I'm starting to think you have all these things on penguin delay so that everyone else gets them first.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Ok, in Preview mode the links are showing up as links rather than embedded video. Let's see what happens when I click Submit:

https://youtu.be/5dXp2pMFuDc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dXp2pMFuDc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMPu99_Xvjw

EDIT: Still just links on my screen. And that last link is the very same link to the Smith Barney video that successfully transformed into an embedded video in my earlier post. I just copied and pasted the link from there. Curiouser and curiouser.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Let me try getting rid of the "s" in "https" (old trick):

opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

No s. Still doesn't work for me. Unless it all of sudden will once I post this or shift-F5 or clear my cache or do some secret penance assigned by alietr who's just screwing with me again.

http://youtu.be/5dXp2pMFuDc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dXp2pMFuDc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMPu99_Xvjw