WWTBAM returns to primetime

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: WWTBAM returns to primetime

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bamaman wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:21 pm When does the next episode air?
Ep. 2 is Sunday the 25th at 9.
Ep. 3 is Sunday, Nov. 1st at 9.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

No spoiler: Trinidad off the coast of Africa. :lol: The last Q of the show? What a dream to be in the seat and get that one.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:11 am No spoiler: Trinidad off the coast of Africa. :lol: The last Q of the show? What a dream to be in the seat and get that one.
I mean, it is off the coast of Africa ... :)
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

WHAT IS IT WITH ALL OF THESE "TIGER KING" QUESTIONS THIS WEEK?!?!
Douglas Squasoni
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

11/15 show - What a perfect combination of contestant, contestant guest and question to tee one up for Jimmy at 16K.
LucarioSnooperVixey

Instagets on all except Se7en today.
Douglas Squasoni
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The 11/29/20 episode was nice to see lifelines used well.
Spoiler
Celebrity restaurateur David Chang got help from Jimmy, his friend Alan Yang, and phone-a-friend Mina Kimes from ESPN.
More spoilers
Spoiler
Ken Jennings would (or should have) known the question Mina Kimes helped on since it was in his Junior Genius Guide for U.S. Presidents:

In the archive I found two hits while I suspect there could be more with different search terms

#5819, aired 2009-12-24 THE WHITE HOUSE $2000: When electric lights were installed in 1891, this pres., afraid of being shocked, wouldn't operate the switches
#4230, aired 2003-01-10 THE WHITE HOUSE $400: The wife of President Benjamin Harrison had this installed in the White House, but was afraid to turn it on & off!

Before his appearance I was not familiar with David Chang so that must mean he is not an A-lister. Wherever he falls from B to Z I appreciate the nerve or recklessness he demonstrated.

It was too bad ABC had hyped way too much that a celeb won a million, so I knew it was happening some time this season. When I saw a post on the WWTBAM Bored marked with spoilers on Friday, two days before the show aired, I figured it was going to be tonight. In the break before the win, ABC itself could not resist plugging Jimmy Kimmel's show for tomorrow night including a promo for winning Celebrity Millionaire.

As to be expected Jimmy had no idea had to make the big moment more special. A better-trained host and a more-known celebrity could have made it an all-time game show moment. Instead it was fun to see though far from legendary.

Hope Mina is on HQ tomorrow and that her co-hosts talk about her PAF work even if it was all a guess in picking the right guy by chance going for a general area of who might have been in office at the time.
davey

Post by davey »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:08 am The 11/29/20 episode was nice to see lifelines used well.
Spoiler
Celebrity restaurateur David Chang got help from Jimmy, his friend Alan Yang, and phone-a-friend Mina Kimes from ESPN.
More spoilers
Spoiler
Ken Jennings would (or should have) known the question Mina Kimes helped on since it was in his Junior Genius Guide for U.S. Presidents:

In the archive I found two hits while I suspect there could be more with different search terms

#5819, aired 2009-12-24 THE WHITE HOUSE $2000: When electric lights were installed in 1891, this pres., afraid of being shocked, wouldn't operate the switches
#4230, aired 2003-01-10 THE WHITE HOUSE $400: The wife of President Benjamin Harrison had this installed in the White House, but was afraid to turn it on & off!

Before his appearance I was not familiar with David Chang so that must mean he is not an A-lister. Wherever he falls from B to Z I appreciate the nerve or recklessness he demonstrated.

It was too bad ABC had hyped way too much that a celeb won a million, so I knew it was happening some time this season. When I saw a post on the WWTBAM Bored marked with spoilers on Friday, two days before the show aired, I figured it was going to be tonight. In the break before the win, ABC itself could not resist plugging Jimmy Kimmel's show for tomorrow night including a promo for winning Celebrity Millionaire.

As to be expected Jimmy had no idea had to make the big moment more special. A better-trained host and a more-known celebrity could have made it an all-time game show moment. Instead it was fun to see though far from legendary.

Hope Mina is on HQ tomorrow and that her co-hosts talk about her PAF work even if it was all a guess in picking the right guy by chance going for a general area of who might have been in office at the time.
Spoiler
I gather you don't follow celebrity chefs-
https://man.vogue.me/lifestyle/best-ins ... 0to%20boot.
LucarioSnooperVixey

A good reason for making us wait two weeks for the episode.
Douglas Squasoni
AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

Spoiler
Glad the Million was won for the first time in 17 Years, in the Stack of Questions way anyway, but ABC spoiled the Moment to hell. Not a fan of that.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

AntmanB wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:16 am
Spoiler
Glad the Million was won for the first time in 17 Years, in the Stack of Questions way anyway, but ABC spoiled the Moment to hell. Not a fan of that.
Spoiler
Agreed - it reminds me of the executioner's paradox trying to figure out when it would air, but c'mon, they should keep the million dollars quiet until it actually is aired. I would have gotten the right answer last year when I memorized the order and years of the presidents, but they've gone out of my head already. From the movie The Current War, I would have guessed that household electricity came to the White House in the 1890s, and with the choices that they gave, that was enough.

For those who don't know, the executioner's paradox is this: a prisoner is set to be executed next week at high noon, sometime from Monday to Friday. To torture the prisoner a little more, the executioner says the prisoner will never know which day will be his last until he's finally hanged.

The prisoner surmises that he won't be hanged on Friday - because Thursday at 12:01 PM, he'd know that Friday was his last day. With Friday off the chopping block (so to speak), he can't be hanged on Thursday, since he'd know by Wednesday. Continuing, the prisoner surmises that he can't be hanged.

He was hanged on Tuesday, and he was surprised.
jlgarfield

Post by jlgarfield »

Believe it or not.....
Spoiler
I knew the answers to the $250K and $500K Qs. :D
The Talking Mime

Post by The Talking Mime »

AntmanB wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:16 am
Spoiler
Spoiler
I watch the episodes online the day after up here in Canada and in the blurb for the episode, it says "one celebrity contestant wins $1 million for their charity." So much for suspense.
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."
-Bertrand Russell
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I knew the answer for the million.

Never heard of this guy but good for his charity. I didn’t think he would win it because he was very unsure of himself, asking his buddy for confirmation every time, even on the simple questions. Then he had never heard of Benjamin Harrison.

I was hoping the sign language lady would win more. She seemed like a nice person.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Kudos to Mr. Chang, but that was a very easy stack. I don't think I would have needed to use a lifeline (though I wasn't 100% certain on the last one, I was pretty sure since I'd heard that fact previously).
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

David Chang won it all on ‘Who Wants to Be a Millionaire.’ He’s giving the $1 million to hospitality workers.

I do take exception with the headline since he was playing FOR that charity, so it's not like he was getting any money coming to him.
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

easiest stack since John Carpenter. no lifelines here either. too bad syndicated doesn't occasionally approach accessibility.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

bomtr wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:01 pm easiest stack since John Carpenter. no lifelines here either. too bad syndicated doesn't occasionally approach accessibility.
I recall the last player on the original run of Regis (before it became a regular series) got a very simple stack that a stronger player could have run.

And yes, a bad headline. People will think he is being super generous when he wasn’t getting anything personally but free publicity no matter how he did.
LucarioSnooperVixey

The "Prunes" photo question from a few weeks ago showed up on Monday's episode of "Richard Osman's House of Games".
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-12-02 at 3.20.38 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-12-02 at 3.20.38 AM.png (275.22 KiB) Viewed 3066 times
Douglas Squasoni
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:08 am Hope Mina is on HQ tomorrow and that her co-hosts talk about her PAF work even if it was all a guess in picking the right guy by chance going for a general area of who might have been in office at the time.
She was on today and they discussed it. Even funnier, though, was the alternate-universe version during the outro in which Pablo Torre was the PAF. :)