Wednesday, April 8, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Re: Wednesday, April 8, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by reddpen »

Am I gonna be the only boardie who saw this FJ:
She published under her middle name; her first name was Nelle, Ellen backward in honor of her grandmother Ellen Finch
fixated on the last word, and then thought of... Donna Tartt and The Goldfinch? :oops:
Oh well, at least I knew Mikaela Shiffrin... [clicks game responses button in the Archive] Red Bull, seder, and Izze (I buy it by the case from Costco), though I also fell for the NM negbait on the short border with Mexico DD, and may have said Malta for Venice.
In and out of the pool four times
Lefty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Lefty »

Things can hot quickly with a WARM VOICE. Can't they?
I'm smart and I want respect.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

reddpen wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:25 pm Am I gonna be the only boardie who saw this FJ:
She published under her middle name; her first name was Nelle, Ellen backward in honor of her grandmother Ellen Finch
fixated on the last word, and then thought of... Donna Tartt and The Goldfinch? :oops:
That didn't come to mind for me, but if it had, then, as an at-home contestant who's not sequestered, I would have immediately swatted it away, since it was a correct response in Monday's QF1 two days ago. While J! is famous for repeating clues (I studied one game's 60 clues in detail, and found a very good analogue in the archives for 59 clues (even the wordplays and trivial stuff like "cheerleaders use pom poms"), they usually don't repeat in a 48 hour period (or one hour in real-time).

Unfortunately, on the Goldfinch clue from Monday, I had seen the movie, and knew which movie the clue was referring to, but couldn't pull the name. Prior to the movie being released, I'd NHO the book, NHO the author of the book, NHO the painter, and NHO the bird known as the goldfinch. And, unfortunately, none of that really stuck the first time around, other than the fact that the movie I was watching was based on a book.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

reddpen wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:25 pm Am I gonna be the only boardie who saw this FJ:
Same, and even though I knew exactly what my brain did I still could not dislodge it.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

On that planet daily double, I thought Jupiter from “largest” but then figured metallic hydrogen was more likely Mercury or Venus, before throwing my hands in the air and realizing I know nothing about the actual topography of these things

Making a trip around the milky way is a new entry for me

I don’t get excited for the college tournament, but I usually end up enjoying the awkwardness of it
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

morbeedo wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:03 pm On that planet daily double, I thought Jupiter from “largest” but then figured metallic hydrogen was more likely Mercury or Venus, before throwing my hands in the air and realizing I know nothing about the actual topography of these things
I realized later, much later, how to reason it out using phase diagrams. There you find the solids in the low temperature/high pressure sections.
OCSam
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

So we're letting contestants omit articles in the middle of titles now? Is this a new rule? I confidently expected a score reversal on Londyn's "What is The Lion, Witch and Wardrobe?" But we came back from the break and no mention was made. After that I knew better than to expect a reversal for Kylie on "What is Degrassi Next Generation?" I'm surprised no one mentioned either response in this thread. Kudos to our archivist for being on the ball and noting the omissions.

Alistair really got slammed with a couple of rough DDs. The first was outright unfair, in my opinion. The clue essentially asks which is shorter, the California-Mexico border or the New Mexico-Mexico border. Alistair went with New Mexico, perhaps reasoning as I did, that the "trick" was remembering just how much of New Mexico is cut off from direct contact by west Texas. But it turns out the New Mexico-Mexico border is 179.5 miles while the California-Mexico border is 140. Like we're supposed to know that. Making a DD turn on that knowledge was a dirty trick.

So Alistair lost $1400 on that DD, everything he had, and then went briefly in the red. He battled back to $6200 for clue 29 where he uncovered DD3. Trailing Kylie by $4200 and Londyn by $13200, he did the right thing. He even made the Holzhauer push to indicate his all-in wager. He needs the bump in score and how hard can a middle-row SOLAR SYSTEM clue be? Plenty tough as it turns out: "Believed to be made of metallic hydrogen, not water, the largest ocean in the solar system is on this planet." I appreciate that you could semi-reason yourself to this if you knew that high pressure + high temperature was the way to get metallic hydrogen. That makes this a fair DD for Science Jeopardy! But it might be a little esoteric for the regular college version. My feeling was that things would need to get pretty COLD to take hydrogen out of its gaseous form. That took me to our outermost planet (1846 - 1930, 2006 - present). I liked Neptune as a possibility additionally because of the "largest ocean in our solar system" angle. I figured maybe that's how it got named for the Roman sea god. Anyway, this clue seems at least really rough for a middle-row DD and possibly unfair, meaning Alistair got kicked in one knee by the writers, struggled back up, and got kicked in the other. Ow.

However, it turned out not to matter (maybe) since Alistair missed a very gettable FJ. So in most timelines he doesn't win the game and maybe doesn't have enough for a wildcard. Don't spoil me here since I don't know what the wildcard cutoff will be. Haven't seen Thursday and Friday yet.

Anyway, kudos to Londyn whose impressive score and sole FJ get would have won her the game even if she'd been properly penalized for the Lion Witch Wardrobe clue.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:01 am So we're letting contestants omit articles in the middle of titles now? Is this a new rule? I confidently expected a score reversal on Londyn's "What is The Lion, Witch and Wardrobe?" But we came back from the break and no mention was made. After that I knew better than to expect a reversal for Kylie on "What is Degrassi Next Generation?" I'm surprised no one mentioned either response in this thread. Kudos to our archivist for being on the ball and noting the omissions.
I have no defense for TLTW&TW, but I might argue that D:TNG is an edge case due to the article being at the start of a subtitle. They also apparently accepted an ST:NG response six months earlier, so at least that one's not without precedent.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

seaborgium wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:37 amThey also apparently accepted an ST:NG response six months earlier, so at least that one's not without precedent.
Speaking of which, why is holodeck capitalized in that clue? It's not a brand name.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

seaborgium wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:37 am
opusthepenguin wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:01 am So we're letting contestants omit articles in the middle of titles now? Is this a new rule? I confidently expected a score reversal on Londyn's "What is The Lion, Witch and Wardrobe?" But we came back from the break and no mention was made. After that I knew better than to expect a reversal for Kylie on "What is Degrassi Next Generation?" I'm surprised no one mentioned either response in this thread. Kudos to our archivist for being on the ball and noting the omissions.
I have no defense for TLTW&TW, but I might argue that D:TNG is an edge case due to the article being at the start of a subtitle. They also apparently accepted an ST:NG response six months earlier, so at least that one's not without precedent.
That's a good point. I think if the LWW clue hadn't happened first, I might have thought through that one a little more.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bump to make it easy to find for today's replay.