Thursday, April 9, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, April 9, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, April 9, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
EUROPEAN BORDERS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Barely changed since a 1297 agreement, the border between these 2 countries is called La Raya on one side & A Raia on the other

Joe Coker: 15200+15000=30200 (Semi-Finalist)
Beni Keown: 14800+1000=15800 (Wildcard)
Xiaoke Ying: 6400+6400=12800

Correct response:
Spoiler
Spain & Portugal

Daily Doubles
Beni: 2000-2000
Joe: 9000+5000
Beni: 13600-4000

Coryats
Joe: 11400
Beni: 20800
Xiaoke: 6400

Combined: 38,600

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Joe: 3400
Beni: 5200
Xiaoke: 2000
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Joe Coker was up where he belongs making the semis after going 2/2 on big clues while Beni was 1/3 in getting caught twice on his DDs.

Beni was quick on the buzzer with a lot of good timing to swat away his DD misses like minor bumps in the road. His FJ! wager worked as hit or miss on the FJ! clue and Beni was a cinch for the semis. Not that he could know that having been sequestered.

It happens occasionally and it was funny when Beni selected a clue only to be told by Alex that Joe had control. In such a situation the person with the powers goes to the same box and Joe matched what Beni called anyway.

Hearing Alex read the clue was a benefit for the FJ! clue compared to more ways to get in trouble if reading it only. I wrote the correct places within seconds while spending think time trying to make sure that no trap I was missing and not letting the literature work category from the DJ! round sway me.

The FJ! clues this week are 1+3+1+3 so Xiaoke and Emma have to hope the pattern holds. If the pattern holds then someone tomorrow is going to rue a heavy wager when sitting pat would have been enough for a WC.
Last edited by MarkBarrett on Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

It's in: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6599

The next game will be id=6600 with today's show being #8199
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I got FJ pretty quickly despite never having heard of those border names before. I'm putting my money on TPH getting this one.

Xiaoke made the absolute right FJ bet and looks to be in good shape. Beni did the right thing in making sure he stayed in second place at worst and still with a solid shot at a wild card and a win if he gets it right and the leader bets zero. Joe was the player in every tournament who seemed to miss the memo about the wild cards.

A story about a trip to China and a category about Spring break. Obviously long before COVID reared its ugly head.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Coryat $48,200 (55R, 0W)
DD 3/3
FJ :mrgreen:

Ran every category except Romances and Shopping, which were entirely predictably my worst categories. College Tournament is usually good for higher-than-normal Coryats, but I was especially happy with this one...
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

WTF was with the shopping category? Are these actual shops that a college student might frequent? I think the writers are getting out of touch. :?
:D :D :x on DDs, figured the carbon had already gone into the ethanol. Cain for the Prodigal Son was an egregious miss.
Back to instaget on FJ :mrgreen:
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

https://twitter.com/bikeown19/status/12 ... 9017987072

Beni wins Twitter today. He has already made this his profile pic.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I thought College Law for $200 was very obscure. I WAGged "permission".

Got eaten alive in the Shopping category I can't say I've even heard of Lululemon, Zara, Uniqlo, or Topshop before, at least not in any more coherent sense than "I think I saw this on a shopping mall map once".

0/5 in Sports History, Movie & TV Romances, and strangely, Chemistry.

La Raya sounds Spanish to me, and A Raia sounds closer to Portuguese than French, so this one is a get. Good to know I won't start off this tourney 0/5.

Lach Trash: Key West, ruffle
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

DBear wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:36 pm WTF was with the shopping category? Are these actual shops that a college student might frequent? I think the writers are getting out of touch. :?
:D :D :x on DDs, figured the carbon had already gone into the ethanol. Cain for the Prodigal Son was an egregious miss.
Thank you! Several of those shopping ones, I was like "how TF was I supposed to know THAT?"
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

DBear wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:36 pm WTF was with the shopping category? Are these actual shops that a college student might frequent? I think the writers are getting out of touch. :?
His face clearly read "I know ZERO Bible information, so I know this is gonna sound stupid..." I'm taking it as a +1 to my standing opinion that Bible questions are unfair. :p
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

mas3cf wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:46 pm Thank you! Several of those shopping ones, I was like "how TF was I supposed to know THAT?"
They seemed to be aiming way too upmarket. I live in a state with only one Zara and none of Uniqlo or Topshop (although there is a Topshop just across the border in Windsor). All the ones I'm finding in most markets are in super upscale malls, and more likely to share space with a Neiman Marcus or Nordstrom than a JCPenney.

IMO this category would've been better off with stuff like H&M, American Eagle, etc.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Why are Bible questions "unfair"? I know nothing about English royalty but I don't insist it be removed from the canon.

On this one, I went the wrong way because I made a mistake I've made before - I default to thinking of "la" as a French article, not a Spanish one.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:10 pm
mas3cf wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:46 pm Thank you! Several of those shopping ones, I was like "how TF was I supposed to know THAT?"
They seemed to be aiming way too upmarket. I live in a state with only one Zara and none of Uniqlo or Topshop (although there is a Topshop just across the border in Windsor). All the ones I'm finding in most markets are in super upscale malls, and more likely to share space with a Neiman Marcus or Nordstrom than a JCPenney.

IMO this category would've been better off with stuff like H&M, American Eagle, etc.
Oddly enough, I have been in a Zara in Madrid but didn't remember that until way, way, way too late.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I have to call hubris on Joe's fj bet. He was nearly a sure thing for either getting a semi final spot or a wild card. His bet could have put him into Oblivion.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
rockyboy34
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by rockyboy34 »

If you know the languages, La Raya & A Raia should be a giveaway to that FJ! clue.

Probably the best show in this tournament so far.

Some observations:

The Key West TS was surprising. That should’ve been easy at the college level. I also got the Cabo San Lucas clue as well.

Scrubs on a clue about Meredith & McDreamy? No way it had to be that. I haven’t watched Grey’s Anatomy yet, but my younger sister has, which made this one pretty easy to recognize. I’m betting that my sister would get that clue in a heartbeat (and probably the Gilmore Girls one).
It's the end of the journey that counts.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

floridagator wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:10 pm I have to call hubris on Joe's fj bet. He was nearly a sure thing for either getting a semi final spot or a wild card. His bet could have put him into Oblivion.
100% agree. I get that college kids are busy, and may not have the experience and/or interest in looking up strategy, but QF FJ! wagering is -WAY- different than any other FJ!. Generally, you're going for a strong second place. And 15K is indeed a historically strong score - although maybe there are some years where it wouldn't stand. Unless you have a series of 4 other games where FJ! is all triple gets, and every single player gets 7K going into FJ!, you're pretty safe. Ideally, both leaders should stand pat or make small wagers, knowing their scores are safe from any wager by Xiaoke. Beni = good, Joe Coker = needs to get a little help from his friends.

Beni's new Twitter bio is good, too: BIG Don Quixote fan. Me, not so much - I got brain-scrambled and said Pancho Villa instead of Sancho Panza, and I didn't know Dulcinea. But considering I last opened the book in the Clinton administration, 3.5/5 isn't too bad.

I knew Hammurabi was going to be wrong for a bottom row lcue, but I buzzed in anyway - way too many clues have been mixed up IMO during the college tourney. And I knew "Draconian" came from "Draco", who had harsh laws. Just couldn't put two and two together.

Interesting fact - had no idea Ayn Rand died within my lifetime. I thought she was way earlier, although in terms of literary production, it seems she petered out in the 60s, and had lung cancer in the 70s which limited her work.

FJ! was an instaget even for this geographobe. Sometimes I wish Alex wouldn't read certain words the clues, to at least avoid giving away the questions. His Spanish accent was so obvious that it basically gave Spain, in turn giving two options for the other country: France or Portugal. Interestingly, I -think- (and correct me if I'm wrong) that Spain is the only European country with Spanish as its official language? Just did a quick wiki search, which is not the best tool. Either way, the similarity of the two nicknames means that it's probably Portuguese. Alex was right - it's not so much a geography question as it is a linguistics and/or history question - although the Treaty of Alcañices (the 1297 agreement that made the border) doesn't seem to be canon.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

floridagator wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:10 pm I have to call hubris on Joe's fj bet. He was nearly a sure thing for either getting a semi final spot or a wild card. His bet could have put him into Oblivion.
You know you don't have to; just say it's a bad wager.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

seaborgium wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:02 pm
You know you don't have to; just say it's a bad wager.

There are bad Wagers practically every day. Hubris is rare. I go months without calling something hubris.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.