Monday, April 13, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, April 13, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, April 13, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Moday, April 13, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
RELIGIOUS WORDS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This word for a concept in Eastern religions comes from Latin roots for "made in flesh" & "again"

Tyler Combs: 16400+16400=32800 (Finalist)
Kayla Kalhor: 13000+12995=25995
Beni Keown: 20600-12201=8399

Correct response:
Spoiler
reincarnation (Beni - orthodox)

Daily Doubles
Beni: 5200+4000
Tyler: 2200+2200
Tyler: 6800+3200

Coryats
Tyler: 15000
Kayla: 13000
Beni: 17400

Combined: 45,400

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Tyler: 2200
Kayla: 6600
Beni: 10600
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

If Tyler had gone all in on DD3 that would have been 3600 more for 20000 entering the FJ! round and still trailing.

For those that got a little freaked out by the pandemic (epidemic) clue last week, today has one mentioning Carnival and Cunard.

The students were stumped on a clue mentioning Jonathan and Mina Harker, so you know what that meant by Alex when giving the correct response.

The FJ! category had me fearful not because of the specific religious area but because of words in general. Today's clue was one I could figure out quickly to join Tyler and Kayla for the solve. Beni made his kryptonite quite obvious between his Cain miss on DD1 last week and the FJ! clue tonight.

Tyler made the finals after getting stomped in the J! round. He showed how quickly he could make up ground as Tyler led by clue 9 of the DJ! round.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

It's done: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6601

Only four TS clues.

Archiving the game reminded me of one of my misses as current (anything after 2000 if not 1989) music can often catch me. Imagine Vampires. :oops:
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Reincarnation is pretty ingrained into the general mindset so not being religious shouldn’t be an excuse for missing it. I don’t even think of it as a religious concept.

A strong performance by all three players. I hope they keep it up tomorrow.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

:D :? :oops: on DDs. Didn't know what the writers were going for in English Bill of Rights, & had Edinburgh for Dublin.
Got Dracula, :o at the TS.
Instaget FJ, Beni should've gotten that :mrgreen:
Last edited by DBear on Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I really struggled with the J! round. However, I ran Greek Letters and got all but "parallelogram" in "P".

That Lion King category was just insane. I have no idea how anyone knew anything in that category. It couldn't have been more opaque to me if it tried.

In DJ!, I was 0/5 in Bill of Rights and What a Character, but ran Get a Job!

Vampire Weekend was my only miss/NHOI in Set List, although I was tempted to clam on both Maroon 5 and Queen since I despise both.

Instaget FJ!
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

Moday? :lol:
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Bamaman wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:43 pm Reincarnation is pretty ingrained into the general mindset so not being religious shouldn’t be an excuse for missing it. I don’t even think of it as a religious concept.

A strong performance by all three players. I hope they keep it up tomorrow.
And even if you don't recognize it based on "religious concept," I would expect people to be able to parse it out from the Latin word for flesh, which gives us English words such as carnivore and, yes, Carnival. Between that miss and his miss last week (Prodigal Son, not Cain), Beni might want to spend more time hanging around people of faith so that at least some knowledge of the area might rub off. Other than that he seems like an amazingly bright young man.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Well-played by all three, boding well for an excellent end to the tournament.

As usual I never heard of any of the 5 songs OR groups in the music category. Now I can go back to yelling at people to get off my lawn.

Had to remind myself that it's reinCarnation, not reinTarnation, which is the belief that when you die, you come back as a hillbilly.

When AT is gone, one of the things I'll miss most is the way he says "Draaaculaaa." :D
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

1/5 on Set List, 51/55 on everything else.

I have the same problem with recent music as I do with movies and especially TV: no clue what is relevant enough to focus my attention on learning. Any helpful hints?
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Oh, poor Beni. Nevermind the meaning being off, "ortho" and "dox" are both Greek, not Latin. And I really liked him. Another rare FJ! click-to-advance for me...I'd love to go back and see how much of this stuff I'd have known in college. Relatively confident that FJ! I'd still get in an instant.

Apparently crossing off correct answers is supposed to bring Kayla good luck, since she did it last week...well, she got the answer right.

I got the parallelogram clue, but as a math geek, I sort of didn't like it. The clue, "Square, rectangle, or rhombus", made it sound like it was ONLY one of those things. I would have appended a "for example" at the end, since those are special types of parallelograms. It's not WRONG wrong, but it could have been written a little bit better.

I just watched Jane Eyre this past week from National Theater Live - it's still available until Wednesday or Thursday if you want to see it. (Live play version, not the recent Fassbender/Mia Not-gonna-try-the-last-name movie.) The clue still went over my head, since the name "Bertha" of the insane wife of Rochester didn't stick. Now, if they'd mentioned fire...yeah, maybe I'd have buzzed in. Oh well, next week is Treasure Island, which I've never seen nor read, and which I know is a J! favorite.

I'm glad I didn't have "ultimate Frisbee" at the tip of my tongue, because I would have buzzed in with it instead of "disc golf".
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

John Boy wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:16 pm ...
As usual I never heard of any of the 5 songs OR groups in the music category. Now I can go back to yelling at people to get off my lawn.
9/10 of your never heard of them I can buy. Never heard of the group Queen? C'mon no matter how much classical music you listen to while reading the Bible that has to be impossible.

I don't know how to pinpoint a search for the most recent Queen clue prior to today though I picked one. For the other four acts these should be it.

#8146, aired 2020-01-27 HIT MUSIC OF TODAY $400: In 2019 adult contemporary fans sure wanted to know "Girls Like You" from this Adam Levine band

#7294, aired 2016-05-05 TEACHERS $2000: Ezra Koenig cut short his teaching career when this quartet that he fronts got a record deal

#7827, aired 2018-09-25 QUEEN'S CONCERT $1200: Queen has been touring with this "American Idol" alumnus as front man, seen here with Brian May

#7977, aired 2019-04-23 WE WILL ROCK YOU $1000: In November 2018 this band flew high with 12 of 50 songs on the Hot Rock Songs chart, including "Bandito", "Morph" & "My Blood"

#8072, aired 2019-10-15 POP CULTURE $1200: Taylor Swift's song "Me!" features Brendon Urie of this band that's got an exclamation point in its name!

From today's category I got $400 & $1200 and negged on the $800 while definitely having heard of all the acts through other places outside of J! clues. I don't care enough to listen to the songs from today's clues to see if they are familiar though I know 3 of them are for sure.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:34 pmNever heard of the group Queen?
Sometimes I wish I hadn't.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I took Latin in high school a long time ago. I wasn’t getting there via Latin but made in flesh again led me to the right word.

I got Queen from Freddie being in the clue. I have heard of Maroon 5 but none of the other groups or any of the songs.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Had a few good music categories recently; today was back to normal (i.e., mediocre). 2/5 (400 + 1200), but at least I was 4/5 having heard of the bands (WTF is Vampire Weekend).

Instaget FJ. I thought it had maybe one or two hints too many, but Beni managed to miss it so maybe not? *shrug*
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Youse people who thought the Tyler was Cock of the Walk after the quarter-finals last week. I was waiting most of the game for the other shoe to drop on him. I was thinking it was curtains when he was behind going into FJ and especially when I saw what an easy clue it was. I should know enough about college students by now that you can't predict anything. So Beni snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

talkingaway wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:24 pm
Apparently crossing off correct answers is supposed to bring Kayla good luck, since she did it last week...well, she got the answer right.
I was going to say that she reincarnated "reincarnation".
OCSam
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

MitchO wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:32 pmModay? :lol:
I prefer Latter-Day Saints Day.