Friday, April 17, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

talkingaway
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, April 17, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by talkingaway »

Bamaman wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:31 pm Alex’s pronunciation of Roland told me it was a French dude but nothing came to me. Put down Napoleon just to not leave it blank.
This was my thought process for the first 10 seconds. Honestly, I absolutely love Alex, but sometimes I wish he wouldn't give away so much stuff with the way he (correctly, natch) pronounces everything, with an accent or in voice. Nobody is ever given the opportunity to flame out on a Humphrey Bogart clue, because the voice is always there.

After I instascribbled down Napoleon, I thought, "That's definitely not right." He's real, but TOO real to be legendary - and too recent. Who's a French ruler who ruled long enough ago that he'd have legends written about him? I know literally nothing about Charlemagne other than "Charles the Great" and "France", but...it seemed right. Backspace x8 over Napoleon, tappity-tap-tap-tap, and I got it.

"Trimester" for "quarter system"? I counted it. It's the same system, it's just that in the trimester you don't numerically acknowledge the existence of summer.

Continuing on the kick of "fairly minor Shakespeare plays", I'd put "Troilus and Cressida" in the same tier last yesterday's incorrect FJ! response of "Coriolanus", but I'm not an official Shakespeare scholar. Definitely not as common as the Bard's major works, but in a "complete the title" clue, it wasn't too hard.

Surprised they accepted GTA for "Grand Theft Auto". I mean, JFK, LBJ, sure...but does that mean I can reply SMB when they ask about the game where mushrooms make you grow to twice your size? Or WoW for that game that all the kids are playing?

Speaking of the youths, I salivated at TV THEME SONGS, but had my hand quickly slapped back. Of course they're going to ask about CW shows. C'mon, give me the sweet, slow jam of Johnny Mathis and Denise Williams. Sha-la-la-la!

Spark Notes would have been a good trap in NOTE BOOKS, except they already had Sparks as a correct response. My lack of youth helped me on that one - back in my day, we only had the yellow-and-black striped book, and we loved it!

I need to stop blurting out "anime" for "manga", and vice versa. I know the difference.
GettysburgPhillyFan
Contributor

Post by GettysburgPhillyFan »

bluejaylink wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:08 pm I was lucky and settled on the correct response at the last second on FJ. But it was mostly just a stab in the dark.

What was the hint I was missing?
It's a reference to the Song of Roland, a French medieval epic poem about Roland getting betrayed and killed in battle. He's in that battle because he's a knight in the service of Charlemagne. I haven't actually read the poem to be fair, but I know enough about it to make this a personal instaget FJ.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

bluejaylink wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:08 pm What was the hint I was missing?
None, really. That FJ was more YEKIOYD than most, but it's relatively well known in history. :mrgreen:
:D :D :D for DDs
Said Apollo for Helios, I'm counting it. 8-)
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Well, that was mildly entertaining ;)

I made a point of listening to Dua Lipa on today's escape-from-Quarantine walk, but the song title and the photo did not click for me

Congrats to all the players! I was hoping for a more competitive two-day, total-point affair, but Nibir came to slay. Bravo.

8/10 on Final, and still kicking myself for yesterday

+1 Apollo

sorry, but I don't see how luggage fits the first part of the clue ("burdensome past emotional experiences")

and Xiaoke got away with "Cliff Notes" for "CliffsNotes"
Last edited by morbeedo on Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

Bamaman wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:31 pm Alex’s pronunciation of Roland told me it was a French dude but nothing came to me. Put down Napoleon just to not leave it blank.
Alex's pronunciation also took me to France. Fortunately about an hour earlier I watched something on Charlemagne so he was on my mind.
alan tiger
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by alan tiger »

i've always been under the impression that the knight companions of charlemagne were known as "paladins" rather than "peers." a little research reveals that both are correct.
A Wray
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by A Wray »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:56 pm A leopard in your dorm? No way, but why not the leopard variety of this lizard that can run across the ceiling

This correction suggestion came in:
*error. Leopard geckos lack lamellae, the plate-like structures other geckos have that allow these geckos to adhere to surfaces, including ceilings.

Would any animal people be so kind as to give me a thumbs up/thumbs down for that information? I can handle the formatting for ERRATUM if it goes that way.
Technically it's not wrong, because the relative clause "that can run across the ceiling" refers just to "this lizard." It's certainly misleading, though.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

A Wray wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:15 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:56 pm A leopard in your dorm? No way, but why not the leopard variety of this lizard that can run across the ceiling

This correction suggestion came in:
*error. Leopard geckos lack lamellae, the plate-like structures other geckos have that allow these geckos to adhere to surfaces, including ceilings.

Would any animal people be so kind as to give me a thumbs up/thumbs down for that information? I can handle the formatting for ERRATUM if it goes that way.
Technically it's not wrong, because the relative clause "that can run across the ceiling" refers just to "this lizard." It's certainly misleading, though.
My preference is not to add an erratum unless I have to and I like your interpretation not to have to do so. I've rejected the suggestion although I expect it to pop up again. I may add a note at some point to explain it all. Not the best work by the writers as I seen the comment on other forums. Thank you for the post.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

morbeedo wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:32 pm and Xiaoke got away with "Cliff Notes" for "CliffsNotes"
My wife pointed that out, too.

You could make the argument that "Cliff Notes" is in such common usage that it should be accepted, but usually they don't give any leeway on proper nouns.
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

Bamaman wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:55 pm
1stlvlthinker wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:21 pm I'm just more excited for the inevitable true daily doubles that will be coming from Tyler/Xiaoke. Gotta play to win the game!
I guess you weren’t too excited today.
Nope. I was disappointed from the first DD, then Nibir getting the ones in DJ just made the outcome inevitable.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:07 am
morbeedo wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:32 pm and Xiaoke got away with "Cliff Notes" for "CliffsNotes"
My wife pointed that out, too.

You could make the argument that "Cliff Notes" is in such common usage that it should be accepted, but usually they don't give any leeway on proper nouns.
Thank you for the comments and I changed the archiving of that clue a bit to account for it.

Between the archivists rendering the correct response, the writers using it in the clues, and acceptable responses it's kind of traditionally been all over the map including the FJ! clue in this game: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5262
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

57 R (Missed TV Theme Songs $600 & $800 and The Boys.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Oregon, Zigzaggad, (Little Dipper), Vaccine

Before the College Championship began, I predicted that Nibir would win. My prediction turned out to be correct.
Douglas Squasoni
Newhausen
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Newhausen »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:28 pm All but Oregon in Inventors. That seemed like a clunker of a clue.
Bill Bowerman's "pursuit of a better track shoe" led to him co-founding a company called Nike, which is famously tied to the University of Oregon (hence the clue calling him out as a 'university coach').
talkingaway wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:24 pmSpark Notes would have been a good trap in NOTE BOOKS, except they already had Sparks as a correct response. My lack of youth helped me on that one - back in my day, we only had the yellow-and-black striped book, and we loved it!
They took the category backwards - Cliffs Notes was the $800 clue and Sparks was $1,600. That trap was indeed set, but unfortunately kids these days are too smart for that sort of thing.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

talkingaway wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:24 pm
This was my thought process for the first 10 seconds. Honestly, I absolutely love Alex, but sometimes I wish he wouldn't give away so much stuff with the way he (correctly, natch) pronounces everything, with an accent or in voice. Nobody is ever given the opportunity to flame out on a Humphrey Bogart clue, because the voice is always there.

After I instascribbled down Napoleon, I thought, "That's definitely not right." He's real, but TOO real to be legendary - and too recent. Who's a French ruler who ruled long enough ago that he'd have legends written about him? I know literally nothing about Charlemagne other than "Charles the Great" and "France", but...it seemed right. Backspace x8 over Napoleon, tappity-tap-tap-tap, and I got it.
That was exactly my process: Roland = Chanson du Roland = French (plus real guy) (plus long enough ago they would still be dealing in legends) = Charlemagne??? And for 20+ seconds I kept thinking, "Can that possibly be right?"

Seriously, is there any other TOM or stuff we're supposed to know, or ANYTHING ELSE to lead to that correct answer? I was astonished that it was right (though I'll take it and go 8-2 in tournament FJs. How was anyone supposed to get that?

Meanwhile, ran the category in Weak Greek and plurals, plus instaget LT on Bill Bowerman = U. of Oregon (and Bill Bowerman = Nike) plus LT on vaccines.

Interesting coincidence: in the J! clue-a-day desk calendar the clue for Friday 4/17 asked for "Manga," and it came up again in that night's game. Must be coincidence, but pretty weird.

All props to Nibir. He made a joke out of the finals with broad and deep knowledge base and absolute killer timing on the signaling button. A well-deserved win.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

With a combined Coryat of $45K, this game was well-played by any standard and Nibir certainly impressed. Tyler and Xiaoke were no slouches, but Nibir was good enough to make them look bad at times. I’ll be very interested to see how he fares in the TOC. Roland was enough to get me to FJ tonight, but I certainly wasn’t 100% confident about my answer.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

I did the FJ using the NYT "clue of the day" on the show's website. Went with Charlemagne but only with maybe 50% confidence, since I always confuse the French Roland and the English Childe Roland. Once I heard Alex read the clue, confidence went to 95%.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

On FJ, I had to get Warren Zevon’s classic Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner quieted down in my head, then my thought process went Roland -> French knight? -> legend? -> Charlemagne? OK.
davey

Post by davey »

DBear wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:26 pm
None, really. That FJ was more YEKIOYD than most, but it's relatively well known in history. :mrgreen:
Apollo was undoubtedly the expected response - Alex said "We'll accept that" for Helios. I wish Alex would remember to follow that sentence by telling us what they were looking for.
The only other European I could think of who might fit the FJ was Barbarossa, and he was German...
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

davey wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:36 am
Apollo was undoubtedly the expected response - Alex said "We'll accept that" for Helios. I wish Alex would remember to follow that sentence by telling us what they were looking for.
To be fair to Alex, it seemed like Xiaoke's efforts to keep the game moving upon having her response accepted prevented him from being able to follow up.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

davey wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:36 am
The only other European I could think of who might fit the FJ was Barbarossa, and he was German...
I noticed that too - they usually pin the gods and goddesses to Greek or Roman, which always messes with my head. I always have to take a beat before responding.

But the weird thing is Phaethon and Helios are both Greek, while Apollo seems to come from both Greek and Roman origins. I think the closer equivalnet to Helios in Roman mythology is Sol, but I could be wrong.

Either way, Phaethon's father seems to be Helios, and NOT Apollo, as far as I can tell, so I don't know why Alex had to take a beat. I'll admit, I couldn't parse out Greek/Roman in time, but I did say "Helios" simply because it seemed closer linguistically to Phaethon than Apollo.