FJs for the 4/13/20 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 4/13/20 week?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:53 pm

This word for a concept in Eastern religions comes from Latin roots for "made in flesh" & "again"
97%
The cartographic feature from which this country gets its name passes near the town of Guayllabamba
63%
This Midwest city is the burial place of one 19th century President & was named for a relative of another
34%
An account of a deposed Duke of Genoa in a 1549 "History of Italy" is a presumed source for this play
30%
In legend, this real European leader fielded an elite corps called the 12 Peers that included Oliver & Roland  
62%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I checked all five above.
13%
:( :( :( :( :(  I missed all the FJ! clues.
1%
WHAT A CHARACTER $1200: The oldest of the Three Musketeers, he is a mentor to d'Artagnan
38%
AMERICAN HISTORY $1000: Thomas Jackson earned the nickname "Stonewall" at First Bull Run, called this by the Rebs
75%
PLURALIZE IT $800: Cherub (8 letters)
86%
Side request: I did not know Equatorial Guinea does not touch the equator.
41%
3-LETTER WORDS $1000: Before it's trimmed, this evergreen tree, popular in landscape gardening, has striking red decor - I was correct with yew.
31%
3-LETTER WORDS $1000: Before it's trimmed, this evergreen tree, popular in landscape gardening, has striking red decor - I negged with fir.
12%
SING OUT! $800: This one-named singer, seen here, dug up a hit with "Graveyard" in 2019 - I was correct with Halsey.
24%
SING OUT! $800: This one-named singer, seen here, dug up a hit with "Graveyard" in 2019  - I negged with Pink.
19%
Lincoln was my incorrect guess for the Wednesday FJ! clue.
15%

Total votes: 100

True North
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: FJs for the 4/13/20 week

Post by True North »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :| :|

Checked no other boxes.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

:mrgreen: :( :( :( :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Pretty disastrous week for FJs. "cartographic feature ... passes by" had me fixated on rivers. Cleveland was a forehead slap after I couldn't come up with anything and was left hoping that Jebediah Springfield might have been embiggened by being related to a president. There are many Shakespeare plays I really enjoy, but I've never been able to make past the first act of The Tempest.

I first learned that Bull Run and Manassas referred to the same battle in about fifth grade or so -- from an Encyclopedia Brown story.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

It seems like if I go 9/10 during a College Championship or Teachers Tournament, the one I miss will be from the first game of the finals.

Pink, fir.
Lefty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Lefty »

AFRET CMS wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:45 pm
I first learned that Bull Run and Manassas referred to the same battle in about fifth grade or so -- from an Encyclopedia Brown story.
Don't feel bad if you couldn't solve it--it was the tenth-most difficult case of Brown's career as of 2009 (though three or four books were still to appear).
I'm smart and I want respect.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Aaaannnd...the guy from Cleveland misses out on a superfecto because of the clue about, Cleveland. Stupid show anyway. Grouse, grouse.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Lefty wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:57 pm
AFRET CMS wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:45 pm
Don't feel bad if you couldn't solve it--it was the tenth-most difficult case of Brown's career as of 2009 (though three or four books were still to appear).
I appreciate the thought, but I'm just about over it by now. Maybe the nightmares will stop in a year or two. Might have made me feel better as an 11-year-old though. :)
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
The Talking Mime

Post by The Talking Mime »

:mrgreen: :( :( :( :(
:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Started the tournament 6/6 and then absolutely cratered. Nicaragua, Jefferson City, Othello, Napoleon.

Picked the other musketeer. Negged with fir, but got Halsey.

Before last week's discussion, if you told me Equatorial Guinea touched the Equator, I would've believed you.
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."
-Bertrand Russell
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

The Talking Mime wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:44 am Nicaragua, Jefferson City, Othello, Napoleon.
I don't remember those lyrics being in "We Didn't Start the Fire".
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Speaking of Encyclopedia Brown, I wished today that I were he, or at least that he were by my side. I was at the H Mart (a Korean supermarket chain) in Yonkers (not my usual) and asked a pair of employees (of unclear ethnicity, especially with the masks we all wore, but not very Asian-seeming) who were standing together where I could find pepper paste. I was told "try aisle 4", and so I set out on my merry way. Had Brown been along, though, wait, forget "had he been along"; let's back up a bit and pretend that he was. So after I said "thanks" and turned in the direction of aisle 4, Brown jumped in front of me and said "WHOA, save your legs, pal! Look for a second opinion first!"

WHY SUCH ADVICE FROM LEROY?
I'm smart and I want respect.
Carpe Diem
Boardeh

Post by Carpe Diem »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen:

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bump in case there is someone to get this poll from 99 voters to 100.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I went 5/5 on FJ this time around, and I wasn't consciously affected by the original airing when I got the Shakespeare FJ Thursday night.