Monday, April 20, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, April 20, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, April 20, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
RECENT MOVIE SONGS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In October 2019 this song, a duet, was still in the Top 10 on Billboard’s Adult Contemporary chart after spending a year on the chart

Felicity Flesher: 6800-3700=3100
Ben Sonday: 2800+401=3201
Andrew Cramer: 5200-1601=3599 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
”Shallow” (Felicity – Into the Deep) (Ben – added [heart] Kristen) (Andrew – Lady Gaga & Bradley Cooper Duet)

Daily Doubles
Andrew: 3400+3400
Ben: 1800-1800
Ben: 1600+1600

Coryats
Felicity: 6800
Ben: 3800
Andrew: 2200

Combined: 12,800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Felicity: 4000
Ben: 600
Andrew: 8000
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The J! round was so promising with 12600 between the players. The DJ! round for the contestants did not sit well with them like the worst kind of food poisoning imaginable.

9 clues were not seen because the writers were not satisfied with just the long-winded videos from The ELECTORAL COLLEGE category. There were other media clues as well. Andrew was ridiculous with some of his clue calling with full category not enough as he also sometimes included "please" and "Alex". Throw in board jumping and all the incorrect responses and it led to the decrepit 12,800 combined Coryat.

The FJ! category lent itself to precalls. I took one shot and it was on target. My problem was only thinking of it in general without specification and that made me have to check and double check myself during think time to make sure I did not mix it up with the Blake Lively title.

If Felicity did 3601 to cover Andrew's possible 10400 then she would have been left with 3199. Ben went for 3201 on his get. That's fine to take care of Felicity on a miss. If Andrew bets 401 to cover Ben's possible 5600 then that's 4799 on a miss and above 3201. Andrew went the other common bet that trailers like of above the leader's starting point by a buck if the leader bets zero. Andrew dropped to 3599 and today that was enough.

Andrew, Jekyll & Hyded himself like a madman today and is quite fortunate to win despite Ben's sole solve.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I knew which movie the FJ correct response was from; I have not seen it, but I listened to the soundtrack when it first came out. But there was no way that I was going to remember the song.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Done except for cleaning it up: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6607

Awful numbers anywhere you look. At least the 3 DDs were played.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

Wow. Momma said there'd be games like this.

Ben cost himself at least one win by not realizing his situation and wagering everything.

Two judges rulings in differs by a letter please. Spark and spank? Somewhat doubtful but not an instant no in my opinion. Widget and Gidget? I think that would have to be acceptable.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Did they indicate what the 1927 quiz book was? Based on a quick google, my first guess would be one of the "Ask Me Another" series.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:32 pm Did they indicate what the 1927 quiz book was? Based on a quick google, my first guess would be one of the "Ask Me Another" series.
Yes and yes. I've added it to the category comment since Alex named it then.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Golf wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:59 pm Wow. Momma said there'd be games like this.

Ben cost himself at least one win by not realizing his situation and wagering everything.
I was thinking the same thing, that the $400 he didn’t bet on the last DD would have won the game. But his wagering strategy seemed to be to get above Felicity’s MSBIW score. So he might have bet zero or $1.

Never heard of the song and sat there and stared into space for 30 seconds. But I probably had enough LT to get a fourth podium win.

I liked the EC category but the presentation could have been reigned in a bit.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

A game to forget....

Coryat $24,800 (33R, 2W)
DD 3/3
FJ :mrgreen:

Pros: fourth-podium victory, 4/4 on bonus clues
Cons: everything else.

My brain was not up to the task of these particular wordplay clues. "Water for Elephants" and "I Am the Cheese" are in an Anki deck I made this weekend, but haven't had time to learn the author/title pairs yet.

FJ was my own personal nightmare category. But a few months ago, I made it a point to learn recent #1 hits. I had a small pool of information to draw from, but the right thing was in there.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

:D :D :D for DDs.
What is WGAF for FJ :roll: :roll: :roll:
Judges:. Idiom for trope? :?:
11,800 trash + pending judgment call.
Last edited by DBear on Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

DBear wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:23 pm :D :D :D for DDs.
The duet is what got me there, despite never seeing the movie or hearing the song.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

WTF did I just watch? I've seen Power Players episodes played better.

====

Explain how I, a longtime editor of TV Tropes, missed "trope".

Any reason I should know that New York was the most populous state in 1920? That could easily have been California, Texas, Florida, or any of the other "big" states. I bombed that category.

I was a clue early on McGovern, and then his name fell back out of my head by the time he was actually the correct response. Hate misses like that.

I spent the entire think music staring blankly. Paused for five minutes and eventually came up with "that one Bradley Cooper/Lady Gaga song" but could not for the iife of me pull the title up. Hate it when the correct response is actually in my database but just can't be found quickly enough.

Lach Trash: Easter Seals, 1789, mutter, egress, "I Am Spock"/"I Am Not Spock"
thenextofken

Post by thenextofken »

Pugilistic for Pugnacious? Judges? Would that at least get a "We'll accept that"?
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I pre called shallow, one of the few oscar-winning songs of recent years that is both memorable and not from a kids movie. It's worth remembering that the song from the previous Star is Born movie, Evergreen, also won the Oscar and became one of the best-known standards of the 1970s. A song from the Star is Born movie before that, The Man That Got Away, was nominated.

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:35 pm
Any reason I should know that New York was the most populous state in 1920? That could easily have been California, Texas, Florida, or any of the other "big" states. I bombed that category.
In the lifetime of people now living, California surpassed New York as the most populous state. Texas surpassed New York in the lifetime of the Hammer. And Florida was a noplace in 1920. As a result of the 1920 census, it had four seats in the US House of Representatives, the same as Arkansas and Mississippi have now. Then a man named Carrier invented air conditioning and nothing's been the same since.

The question is basically asking what was the largest state in the 1920s by population and you really only need to know that none of the Sunbelt states were in contention then.

I said pugilistic for a dog word about boxing when they were asking for pugnacious. Judges?
Last edited by floridagator on Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

DBear wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:23 pm :D :D :D for DDs.
Judges:. Idiom for trope? :?:
11,800 trash + pending judgment call.
I also had idiom and am awaiting the judges...
bluejaylink
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bluejaylink »

Add a third for pugilistic. And another for idiom.

Did anyone think Andrew got away with "Shiners" instead of "Shriners"? Maybe it was just me.
Last edited by bluejaylink on Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

Today's 3rd place (Felicity) has coryat greater than the combined coryat of 1st and 2nd place finishers. Has that happened before?
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

floridagator wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:00 pm In the lifetime of people now living, California surpassed New York as the most populous state. Texas surpassed New York in the lifetime of the Hammer. And Florida was a noplace in 1920. As a result of the 1920 census, it had four seats in the US House of Representatives, the same as Arkansas and Mississippi have now. Then a man named Carrier invented air conditioning and nothing's been the same since.
That seems like an unusually fine-tuned level of knowledge for the top box. I tried to Occam's razor it and just went "well, could be ANY of the big states, I see literally bupkis to narrow it down."