Monday, April 20, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

mas3cf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, April 20, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by mas3cf »

bluejaylink wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:04 pm Add a third for puglistic. And another for idiom.

Did anyone think Andrew got away with "Shiners" instead of "Shriners"? Maybe it was just me.
I fully expected "shiners" to be ruled incorrect. Perhaps the judges had pity given how poorly the game was going overall...
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Andrew and I apparently have the same vibe of getting clues half-right - knowing what they're asking for, but failing to get the right title. But in this case, I did get it. If you hear the song, they "stutter" over the title word for about half of it, so it's at least memorable. My only precall was something from Judy Garland's songbook, from the Rene Zellweger movie. That said, the clue is even easier today than it was a month or so ago, since Lady Gaga just hosted the living room concert show across every network on Saturday.

Poor Alex. Must be frustrating for him, since I know he likes a clean board. Ironically, he even said at the start of DJ! that they got through "most" of the clues. But 26 out of 30 isn't exactly "most", and they managed not to even clear that low hurdle in DJ!. Wow. Only one game with more clues left untouched.

Loved the "let's dance" DD wager - challenge Alex to a dance-off next time! I was surprised that they accepted Ben's wager of, basically, "let's do it again", since S&P can be awfully nitpicky, but it seemed pretty obvious where he was going.

Anyone else here "shiners" for "shRiners"? Maybe it was just me.

File under "how I wouldn't dare answer on Jeopardy!": "Who is Michelle Pfeiffer, that white gold?"

I wish I could say something positive about not knowing the exact year of the first presidential election...but when rebounding after 1790 and 1788...1780? It's like watching one of the contestants on The Price is Right on the Clock Game when it goes off the rails. "$570?" HIGHER! "560?" HIGHER!

Pugilistic for pugnacious? They both start with "PUG", although mine doesn't sound like pug. I counted it, just like I counted "Bell Labs" for "Bell Laboratories", since the full name is "Bell Telephone Laboratories" - if you're not going to nitpick on leaving out "Telephone", you're not nitpicking Labs for Laboratories.

Let's hope today's game gets Alex to needle the showrunners to get a game going with a full 61 clues. There was a nice stretch earlier this season where we had no leftover clues - and it wasn't a QF game of a tourney, either.
True North
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by True North »

Coryat: $26,000
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:

A night to forget after a string of $40Ks in the College Tournament. Couldn’t get my brain in gear for whatever reason, and the disjointed play didn’t help.

+1 looking for a ruling on idiom.

With scores so low, if I’m Ben I’m YOLOing it on FJ. I guess he thought Andrew would do that and was hoping to win on a solo get...but if that’s the case, you need to get enough to cover Andrew in case he doesn’t. My brain hurts. Study your wagering strategy!
talkingaway wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:14 pm Anyone else here "shiners" for "shRiners"? Maybe it was just me.
Yup, my wife and I both heard shiners.
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

Add a third person for "idiom", though I already marked myself as wrong.
NYCScribbler
Harbinger of the Outchange

Post by NYCScribbler »

ugh, FJ. "Um. Uh. Wait, A Star Is Born? Welp."

Another widget and Gidget guess here.
"Who said anything about a horse?!"

"Also, how the bleep did I forget Russia even exists?!"- TPH
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:08 pm
floridagator wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:00 pm In the lifetime of people now living, California surpassed New York as the most populous state. Texas surpassed New York in the lifetime of the Hammer. And Florida was a noplace in 1920. As a result of the 1920 census, it had four seats in the US House of Representatives, the same as Arkansas and Mississippi have now. Then a man named Carrier invented air conditioning and nothing's been the same since.
That seems like an unusually fine-tuned level of knowledge for the top box. I tried to Occam's razor it and just went "well, could be ANY of the big states, I see literally bupkis to narrow it down."
New York was the largest state by population in the nation for the majority of this country's existence. Virginia was top dog for the first two censuses, and then New York took over until the 1960 census, when California took the lead. (Texas grabbed the number two position about 20 years ago, and it looks like Florida will probably push NY down to #4 after the current census.)
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

mas3cf wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:09 pm
bluejaylink wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:04 pm Add a third for puglistic. And another for idiom.

Did anyone think Andrew got away with "Shiners" instead of "Shriners"? Maybe it was just me.
I fully expected "shiners" to be ruled incorrect. Perhaps the judges had pity given how poorly the game was going overall...
I said idiom, and I heard "Shiners".

I got really lucky on FJ!. Movies and recent music are two of my weak spots, but I go on a movies-in-a-theater jag a couple of times a year, and I happened to see A Star Is Born and really like it (better than Green Book). The song, and its title, stuck in my head. "Duet" in the clue helped me to avoid getting a year off with Rocketman. (Yes, I'm aware that Rocketman is too recent, but I might have gotten turned around without the hint.)

I hope the contestant coordinators gave Andrew a refresher in how, and how not, to call subsequent clues in a category before Tuesday's game.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Linear Gnome wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:44 pm
I hope the contestant coordinators gave Andrew a refresher in how, and how not, to call subsequent clues in a category before Tuesday's game.
I really think he was trolling the Board with that schtick!

+1 idiom but I don't think it fits "figure of speech" + "familiar reference"

I heard Shiners first, then confirmed he did say Shriners on the replay, but the pronunciation was less than clear

The Jeopardy James reference from Alex is getting soooo tired. Le grand sigh

Pre-called Shallow... WECIB!

Writers specified the "original" Bridge of Sighs, because there's another one where?
Spoiler
Cambridge, England
Poll request: DD2 The Bridge of the Americas (not the one in "Sicario")
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

I'm going to say idiom is close, but no cigar. "This 5-letter word for a figure of speech is widely used to mean any familiar reference". Idiom definitely means "a figure of speech". But I don't think it's "widely used to mean any familiar reference". For example, I don't think we would generally refer to "Keep Calm and Carry On" variants or Overly Attached Girlfriend as "idioms". But maybe I'm just pleased with myself that I got this triple-stumper correct.

I'm a fan of QUESTIONS FROM A 1927 QUIZ BOOK. I hope we see that category again. Quiz books from other years would be fine too.

Add me to the list of people who could tell you everything about the right FJ response except the actual title. Knew it was that duet from A Star Is Born that Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper sang at the 2019 Oscars. I even remembered that this song title had come up relatively recently--last November, $400 HIT TUNES clue in the DJ round. I even knew the title was a one-word trochee. "Ragged" was the best guess I could come up with.
davey

Post by davey »

morbeedo wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:58 pm

+1 idiom but I don't think it fits "figure of speech" + "familiar reference"
Yes. I wouldn't object to "pugilistic" or "widget," but "idiom" only fits the first part of the clue, not "any familiar reference."

Even if I'd remembered the popularity of the song for FJ, I would not have recalled the title. But I liked the movie!
LeFlaneur
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by LeFlaneur »

bluejaylink wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:04 pm Add a third for pugilistic. And another for idiom.

Yes. I did.
Le Flaneur
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

Consider me as frustrated as the contestants today with DJ. I performed horrendously, and going 0 for 4 in a Sports category was only salt in the wound.

At least I was able to pre-call FJ during the commercials and convert an otherwise tough category for me.

At the risk of being a lone dummy, did anyone else not know that Victoria Falls was not part of Lake Victoria? I was so sure with my response of "What are Uganda and Tanzania?" that I giggled when Andrew said just "Zimbabwe and..." Today I learned...
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I've got a different question re "pugilistic": my brother insists that it couldn't be accepted because the "pug" in it isn't pronounced like the dog. (Somehow my insistence that "mutter" therefore shouldn't be right because we all pronounce it as "mudder" didn't persuade him.) I think the only thing that could convince him that the wordplay is purely orthographic is another example of an accepted response in a STARTS WITH or ENDS WITH category where the crucial component changes pronunciation in the correct response. And I can't find any. Can anyone else?
Last edited by seaborgium on Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rockyboy34
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by rockyboy34 »

I got FJ, but that’s only because I listened to that song a crap ton of times even a year after it came out.
It's the end of the journey that counts.
mjhunt
Valued Contributor

Post by mjhunt »

Golf wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:59 pm Wow. Momma said there'd be games like this.

Ben cost himself at least one win by not realizing his situation and wagering everything.

Two judges rulings in differs by a letter please. Spark and spank? Somewhat doubtful but not an instant no in my opinion. Widget and Gidget? I think that would have to be acceptable.
Ben may have really wanted the extra $1,000 for second place.
That would be a very good reason for not betting it all.
Unless the score is exactly 1st=2nd+3rd, the 3rd place need not bet absolutely everything to win.
But, Ben should have bet $2,401 if that is the case. It would have won him the game, yet left him with $399 on a miss, which could easily win second if place if the player in second going into FJ bets everything or all but $1/$2/$100, which is common.
Maybe he just forgot about second place entirely.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

mjhunt wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:11 am
Golf wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:59 pm Wow. Momma said there'd be games like this.

Ben cost himself at least one win by not realizing his situation and wagering everything.

Two judges rulings in differs by a letter please. Spark and spank? Somewhat doubtful but not an instant no in my opinion. Widget and Gidget? I think that would have to be acceptable.
Ben may have really wanted the extra $1,000 for second place.
That would be a very good reason for not betting it all.
Unless the score is exactly 1st=2nd+3rd, the 3rd place need not bet absolutely everything to win.
But, Ben should have bet $2,401 if that is the case. It would have won him the game, yet left him with $399 on a miss, which could easily win second if place if the player in second going into FJ bets everything or all but $1/$2/$100, which is common.
Maybe he just forgot about second place entirely.
For me, the worst thing about third place wagers that cost a player the game is how obvious it is that it wasn't a mindless decision; he at least had the forethought to figure out where Felicity would end up on a miss. He just overlooked two details, either of which would have saved him the game: first, that if Andrew wagered to cover him, Andrew would end up decently above $3,200 at up to $4,799; and second, that since Felicity wouldn't fall below his score, he had to get FJ right for any chance at winning, under which circumstances one might as well bet everything or almost everything to maximize one's take in that eventuality. (For me, the best thing about third place wagers that cost a player the game is that one happened when I was in second place and missed FJ in a ToC semifinal.)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

teapot37 wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:12 pm New York was the largest state by population in the nation for the majority of this country's existence. Virginia was top dog for the first two censuses, and then New York took over until the 1960 census, when California took the lead. (Texas grabbed the number two position about 20 years ago, and it looks like Florida will probably push NY down to #4 after the current census.)
And on the City side, NYC has always been the most populous city in the US at each census.

As soon as I saw the category, I just FF'd through the Think Music. I knew there would be a 0% chance that I had heard/heard of this song and I was correct.

+1 for pugilistic
+1 for he definitely said "Shiners"
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Yikes. I should've just played it off the archive, that was painful.

After the FJ category reveal, I was mentally marking it down as a miss, but a hit movie duet from 2018? I can do that.

+1 idiom (not too sure about that one)
+1 pugilistic
+1 I can't believe they missed 'shiners'
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:24 pm I'm going to say idiom is close, but no cigar. "This 5-letter word for a figure of speech is widely used to mean any familiar reference". Idiom definitely means "a figure of speech". But I don't think it's "widely used to mean any familiar reference". For example, I don't think we would generally refer to "Keep Calm and Carry On" variants or Overly Attached Girlfriend as "idioms". But maybe I'm just pleased with myself that I got this triple-stumper correct.
So explain how someone who is on TV Tropes literally every day missed it.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:52 pm At the risk of being a lone dummy, did anyone else not know that Victoria Falls was not part of Lake Victoria? I was so sure with my response of "What are Uganda and Tanzania?" that I giggled when Andrew said just "Zimbabwe and..." Today I learned...
Yes! I don't know how confident I was, but I made exactly the same response you did.