Tuesday, April 21, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, April 21, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, April 21, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CONTEMPORARY AUTHORS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Publishers Weekly has dubbed this former middle school English teacher turned bestselling author "Storyteller of the Gods"

Andrew Cramer: 11400-5401=5999
Sidra Condron: 4600+4600=9200
Gary Patent: 16800+6001=22801 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Rick Riordan (Andrew – Percy Jackson / Hi Baby Bettie)

Daily Doubles
Andrew: 1800+1800
Andrew: 10600+1200
Gary Patent: 14000+2000

Coryats
Andrew: 11200
Sidra: 4600
Gary: 16000

Combined: 31,800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Andrew: 4200
Sidra: 2200
Gary: 8800
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Gary Patent's IMDb page: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm2465115/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

There are definitely two correct responses for the family/group of whales in 3-LETTER WORDS. I matched the contestant while knowing the other one as well.

Good week for James Taylor with the category (surprisingly not completed) today and his role as Mega Mentor on The Voice last night for the Knockouts round.

The FJ! clue had me unable to correct course in time. When I saw the clue I pictured the hammer on Neil Gaiman's Norse Mythology book. From there I had a momentary blank on his name. I took a side path to American Gods and that helped me recall the author's name.

As I kept thinking I had the inspiration that it's not him it's that other guy. I got as far as Andrew in recalling the character and from there the author's name was not at the ready to dredge up. My instincts tell me I was probably less than 20 seconds from reeling it in. When I saw Sidra's response I knew that was it and it hit me that I had never bothered to make the connection of the author's name matching a well-known local high school.

Oh well, I only had a streak of one right going anyway.

Definitely a better game today compared to yesterday and nice debut by Gary.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

It is finished: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6608

Slightly better numbers today although 11 TS is still too many.
Hugo Z
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Hugo Z »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:29 am Gary Patent's IMDb page: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm2465115/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

I used to watch L&O:Criminal Intent, but I'll be damned if I remember an "Ira Whipple" character. He must've not gotten a lot of screen time.
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

FJ: "Who is that guy who isn't JK Rowling, instead wrote the Percy Jackson books and isn't Neil Gaiman but also has a name that isn't coming to me at all?"
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Another ugly board.
:D :D :D on DDs.
Got as far as Percy Jackson, but didn't know who wrote 'em :(
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Coryat $40,000 even (45R, 2W)
DD 3/3
FJ :(

No guess on FJ so I went with JK Rowling. Starting to learn about contemporary lit now, so I'm hopeful that in a few months' time, I would have gotten it. Not today though.

Bit with "hat" for "wig" and oopsied with "Santa Claus" for "Saint Nicholas." Couldn't pull rhizome, it was on the tip of my tongue.

Gary looks like a pretty good player. Looking for him to go on a run....
NYCScribbler
Harbinger of the Outchange

Post by NYCScribbler »

Insta-get FJ!. I should probably catch up on reading that 'verse.

"Remembrance of Things Past", my old enemy, how I loathe thee.
"Who said anything about a horse?!"

"Also, how the bleep did I forget Russia even exists?!"- TPH
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

Much better game for me than yesterday, though I had a few misses I regretted, such as saying Gulf of Aden instead of Gulf of Aqaba. At least I went 3/3 on DD's.

Add me to the list who said Neil Gaiman :(
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

I'll join the crowd who stalled at Percy Jackson for FJ!. NHO Rick Riordan, and I'm 50/50 on if I would have been able to conjure up "The Lightning Thief" if needed. I was considering seeing the Percy Jackson musical in New York last October, but saw Colbert for free instead - I still think I made the right choice, because Eddie Murphy was hawking "Dolemite is my Name", which was a bottom row clue earlier this year.

For FJ!, I precalled Sue Grafton, because it's ALWAYS Sue Grafton - even though the latest FJ! clue of hers commemorated her death.

Anyone else notice the choppy editing at the beginning of the episode, or was it just me? The first response's rebound started "What is Water?" as Andrew started his answer before Alex called on him, and then Alex completed the answer of "Waterloo" for him. Then, I distinctly heard Gary say "Proust?" with a rising intonation, as if his "Who is" was cut off.

I copied Andrew's mistake of reBate in B IN THE MIDDLE, but managed to count out 6 letters before ringing in.

I got "venus flytrap" in time, but not before taking a winding detour through Little Shop of Horrors.

This week seems a lot harder to me...did I get acclimated to the College tourney? Is my brain getting soft from quarantine?
MasterCone
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by MasterCone »

NYCScribbler wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:13 pm
I just watched this damn show 10 hrs ago and I already don't remember the author again. This one may be a lost cause enemy for me too.

FJ was a total blank, and the name didn't even sound familiar when it was revealed as correct. 35,000 coryat... FJ - dismal failure. Recent lit is another enemy.
mungar
Valued Contributor

Post by mungar »

D'oh. Was way too overconfident that Neil Gaiman was correct. Instawrong.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

For Eilat, I answered Red Sea, which I suspect would have been ruled wrong, because they were specifically asking for the Gulf. However if they didn't ask for a repronunciation on Shriner, I'm hoping they let me off with a, "we'll give it to you."

I had no hope on Final. I interpreted the question is asking for a hot children's author who isn't JK Rowling. The only one who came to mind is RL Stine, formerly known as jovial Bob Stine.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
rockyboy34
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by rockyboy34 »

The best I could come up w/ was Percy Jackson. And that was w/ my dad’s hint as well!
It's the end of the journey that counts.
davey

Post by davey »

I considered George Martin and John Green - more for their cult status than subject matter, but then Game of Thrones was referenced earlier in the match. As I ran out of time, Neil Gaiman seemed the best bet, and then...
I have seldom been more at a loss after an FJ question reveal. I'm vaguely aware of the Percy Jackson books and brand extensions, but I've never been slightly curious about who wrote them. They could have sprung full-blown from the head of Zeus, as far as I knew...(And does he really say his last name that way?)
Last edited by davey on Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

DBear wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:47 pm Got as far as Percy Jackson, but didn't know who wrote 'em :(
Ditto.

You'll never get Aqaba if you come from the gulf. Have to take the overland route.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

MasterCone wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:40 pm
NYCScribbler wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:13 pm
I just watched this damn show 10 hrs ago and I already don't remember the author again. This one may be a lost cause enemy for me too.
Read "How Proust Can Change Your Life" and maybe it will stick

I erred with Gulf of Sinai on the body of water, but when you Google "gulf of Sinai" you get "Gulf of Aqaba", so I'm counting it ;)

(Yes, I've seen Lawrence of Arabia :( )

+1 Neil Gaiman with low confidence

Cute how we had a story about Yuri Gagarin and then a clue about Buzz Aldrin

My "reimburse"ment check didn't come in tonight, and sadly, I missed the Showboat

DD3 found in the $1200 box at the end of the game after the LTAM warning. Gary leads $14,000 to $11,400. In that situation, if I bet for the runaway and miss, then I lose in a runaway game. From the couch, I'm betting $13,900 so I can stick around for Final. Gary bets $2000 (risky!), gets it right, and gets the next and last clue for $800. Go big or bet $5. Am I right?
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

I've heard of Rick Riordan but can never remember his name -- even though he has the same name as the man who was mayor of Los Angeles when I moved here in 1999. (Although the mayor goes by Richard.)