Reruns to start May 4th

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Reruns to start May 4th

Post by Robert K S »

I remember how hard we had to work to get "Selevan".

I think this is Mr. Schaeffer.
https://www.facebook.com/pbschaeffer
https://www.linkedin.com/in/paul-schaeffer-892a348/

The official website reports the first appearance of Spangenberg as being from Douglaston, but while that may have been true for the 10th Anniversary Tournament, the original-5 Spangenberg was from Flushing.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Robert K S wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:56 am I remember how hard we had to work to get "Selevan".

The official website reports the first appearance of Spangenberg as being from Douglaston, but while that may have been true for the 10th Anniversary Tournament, the original-5 Spangenberg was from Flushing.
Movin' on up ...
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Robert K S wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:56 am I remember how hard we had to work to get "Selevan".
I remember having my suspicions about him when watching the first episode on the J! DVD. Alex said his full name at the start of the interviews, and Frank told him he'd pronounced it right. Thinking no one would need validation on the pronunciation of "Sullivan," I searched for various ideas for spellings and found his website. I guess I must have submitted it in a correction suggestion, because I don't have a record of ever sending the word "Selevan" in an email.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

seaborgium wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:55 am I must have submitted it in a correction suggestion, because I don't have a record of ever sending the word "Selevan" in an email.
No correction suggestions. I think it was just discussion on the old board. I remember at one point we had "Seleban", or "Selevan or Seleban", something like that. Possible the DVD had the captioning wrong.

Searched my e-mail, and Steve McClellan raised it on 2006-01-16:

Subject: You be the judge...
Attachments
Mon, Jan 16, 2006, 10:09 PM
to J!

Okay, Robert just asked me about this, I can't figure it out, and it's bugging me. What is this guy's last name? (It's Frank from the first episode. Don't bother double-checking at the archive or elsewhere online, the accuracy of the Archive is what's in question, and everyone else took it from there (I've given him two different spellings so far.)

Attached are his intro from a 21-year-old VHS copy of the show, and from the J! DVD. What do you think?

Steve

Jan 17, 2006, 10:09 PM
to J!

Sounds to me like Selevan. And my google search for "Selevan" turned up quite a few hits, so it seems like a plausable name.

Ed
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Robert K S wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:27 am
seaborgium wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:55 am I must have submitted it in a correction suggestion, because I don't have a record of ever sending the word "Selevan" in an email.
No correction suggestions. I think it was just discussion on the old board. I remember at one point we had "Seleban", or "Selevan or Seleban", something like that. Possible the DVD had the captioning wrong.

Searched my e-mail, and Steve McClellan raised it on 2006-01-16:

Subject: You be the judge...
Attachments
Mon, Jan 16, 2006, 10:09 PM
to J!

Okay, Robert just asked me about this, I can't figure it out, and it's bugging me. What is this guy's last name? (It's Frank from the first episode. Don't bother double-checking at the archive or elsewhere online, the accuracy of the Archive is what's in question, and everyone else took it from there (I've given him two different spellings so far.)

Attached are his intro from a 21-year-old VHS copy of the show, and from the J! DVD. What do you think?

Steve

Jan 17, 2006, 10:09 PM
to J!

Sounds to me like Selevan. And my google search for "Selevan" turned up quite a few hits, so it seems like a plausable name.

Ed
Now that I think about it, at some point I do recall seeing on his J! Archive page the comment about Frank complimenting (or at least agreeing with) Alex's pronunciation. It's on archive.org that way in 2010. I still think I submitted his website in a correction suggestion, though.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

In the game thread I posted a link to his LinkedIn page. It is Selevan.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Yeah that hasn't been in doubt for over a decade, it's Schaeffer that's new
jeopardyfan939
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

So glad they're re-airing episodes from some of the earlier seasons and not just games from Seasons 34 and 35. That said, before I checked the schedule for shows to be aired during the vault weeks, I was hoping they would do a week of Ken Jennings episodes (7/13/2004 - Ken breaks the $1M mark; 7/23/2004 - Ken sets a new one-day record with $75,000; 10/25/2004 - Ken breaks the $2M mark, 11/24/2004 - Ken sets the second-highest single-game winnings record with $55,099; 11/29/2004 - Ken's 74th win), and a Best of Brad Rutter week (11/3/2000 - Brad wins his 5th game, 11/2/2001 - Brad wins his ToC; 5/14/2002 - Brad wins Million Dollar Master's Tournament; 5/25/2005 - Brad wins the UToC; 5/16/2014 - Brad wins Battle of the Decades).

I'm a bit disappointed they aren't showing more Ken Jennings episodes, but at the same time I'm happy they're going to rerun the entire Million Dollar Masters Tournament; so we get to see some Brad Rutter episodes in other words.