Reruns to start May 4th

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

gameshowfandanny
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Reruns to start May 4th

Post by gameshowfandanny »

Jeopardy! posted on their website that Season 36's Tournament of Champions is rerunning on July 6-17. https://www.jeopardy.com/jbuzz/news-eve ... d-big-wins
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

So now we are set for the next five weeks.

This is really going to freak people out who aren’t fanatics like us. No announcement was given and now we will have three weeks of random episodes. I wonder what they have planned after the TOC.
davey

Post by davey »

Bamaman wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:59 am So now we are set for the next five weeks.

This is really going to freak people out who aren’t fanatics like us. No announcement was given and now we will have three weeks of random episodes. I wonder what they have planned after the TOC.
Freak people out? Freak out is what fanatics do. I imagine others will figure it out. If they've seen the episodes before, maybe they'll even find something else to do with that half hour...
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

davey wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:59 am
Bamaman wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:59 am So now we are set for the next five weeks.

Freak people out? Freak out is what fanatics do. I imagine others will figure it out. If they've seen the episodes before, maybe they'll even find something else to do with that half hour...
I know I won't mind the extra half hour for the next few months.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

I've heard that they've done some Zoom interviews with the TOC players, so they'll probably insert those like they did for the GOAT reruns to show why this selection of 15 "random" games is being shown for the next three weeks. Plus, my guide on FiOS is calling the episodes something like "Big Games - the road to the ToC". People will catch on.

Maybe they're hoping for reopening, but I'm curious what comes next on the rerun schedule. Doesn't seem that wise to start opening the studio right now - "Jeopardy! contestant dies from COVID-19 after winning $43,000 in 2 days" probably isn't a headline they want. I probably don't have the skill or the "sparkling bubbly personality" to go on J!, but I'd love to give it a try...but maybe in 2021. Attracting contestants to actually come may be an issue.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Half-hour ... hahaha, you people are so 20th Century.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

davey wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:59 am

There will probably be an announcement of some sort at the beginning that it is a “classic” episode. But a lot probably won’t know the difference.

I don’t watch the normal tournament reruns so I won’t be watching these.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

On Monday morning I'll check the opening/ending to see if anything is bookended and share if so.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

alietr wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:05 pm Half-hour ... hahaha, you people are so 20th Century.
Ok, fine...18 minutes.
gameshowfandanny

Post by gameshowfandanny »

talkingaway wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:52 am

I've heard that they've done some Zoom interviews with the TOC players, so they'll probably insert those like they did for the GOAT reruns to show why this selection of 15 "random" games is being shown for the next three weeks. Plus, my guide on FiOS is calling the episodes something like "Big Games - the road to the ToC". People will catch on.

Maybe they're hoping for reopening, but I'm curious what comes next on the rerun schedule. Doesn't seem that wise to start opening the studio right now - "Jeopardy! contestant dies from COVID-19 after winning $43,000 in 2 days" probably isn't a headline they want. I probably don't have the skill or the "sparkling bubbly personality" to go on J!, but I'd love to give it a try...but maybe in 2021. Attracting contestants to actually come may be an issue.
They'll probably only upload the Zoom interviews on their YouTube channel, like they did with the GOAT event. During the GOAT event, the only special intros (and outros) that they did were Ken's first episode, where he explained that they were rerunning his first episode, the Ken Jennings vs. Nancy Zerg episode, where Ken explained that they were rerunning that, and an outro for that same game, where Ken explained that when he read "seasonal employees" in the Final Jeopardy! clue, he never thought of tax season.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

alietr wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:05 pm Half-hour ... hahaha, you people are so 20th Century.
I have been working days out of town lately and have been watching the games live with no ability to freeze the action or rewind. I felt so retro.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Here is the opening for the 6/15 rerun: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xqqre0 ... sp=sharing

I'll check the end to see the closing. I have no expectation that there is anything new in between.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Near the end: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SmASrd ... sp=sharing

Yeah, hope Alex was able to do that in one take.
RobW
Boy, this was fun! :)

Post by RobW »

and here are the Zoom clips related to this week:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=bTxjlRC64-s
formerly known as doitneatly
twitter: @rob_worman
Jeopardy_fan
Contributor

Post by Jeopardy_fan »

Did they not air the audienceless episodes? I was looking for those to signal the last batch of new ones but reruns started today.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Jeopardy_fan wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:17 pm Did they not air the audienceless episodes? I was looking for those to signal the last batch of new ones but reruns started today.
Those were last week and 4 weeks ago.
Jeopardy_fan
Contributor

Post by Jeopardy_fan »

Really? How did I not notice? :shock: Did they edit in applause?
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Jeopardy_fan wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:20 pm Really? How did I not notice? :shock: Did they edit in applause?
Yep. No crowd shots either.

You had to know what to look for to notice. The staff also had on blue gloves during the FJ cutaway, another subtle touch.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Jeopardy_fan wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:20 pm Really? How did I not notice? :shock: Did they edit in applause?
There was minimal audience - at the very least, the other contestants from that taping. Possibly any staff around might have been encouraged to hang out, too.

Millionaire had applause from the staff, and was taped in NYC 2 or 3 days after J's audienceless episodes. It was softer, and the fact that all the traditional audience seats in the studio were empty was a dead giveaway, but it felt normal-ish after you got used to it. Of course, another constant reminder was no "ask the audience" lifeline.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

talkingaway wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:47 pm
There was minimal audience - at the very least, the other contestants from that taping. Possibly any staff around might have been encouraged to hang out, too.

Millionaire had applause from the staff, and was taped in NYC 2 or 3 days after J's audienceless episodes. It was softer, and the fact that all the traditional audience seats in the studio were empty was a dead giveaway, but it felt normal-ish after you got used to it. Of course, another constant reminder was no "ask the audience" lifeline.
This post on 5/20 had an audience shot: viewtopic.php?p=333306#p333306

This was the first of two taping days without the general public in the seats. The second such taping day was March 11th and those games aired last week.