Reruns to start May 4th

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

CailinGaoilge
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Reruns to start May 4th

Post by CailinGaoilge »

goongas

Re: Reruns to start May 4th

Post by goongas »

I am surprised ABC is letting them rerun them. Maybe it was part of the deal that Jeopardy! Productions retained ownership of them? I think they would have had original episodes through the end of May, they probably think they can get more ratings out of showing these episodes.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

My onscreen guide still shows the Teachers Tournament for May 4th so the J! powers may have only recently decided to switch things around. The KJ bookends will be fun for those that never saw them while there should be a board ban (at least on this forum) from rehashing the pointless last name debate from Ken's debut.

To me it's a good move to rerun the GOAT this way and makes sense to still have some new S36 shows to air into June. (or even July depending on what other reruns are scheduled.)
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

We know they have enough shows until the end of May, but doing this now extends their "original" season ability, and puts this event in May sweeps.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
gameshowfandanny

Post by gameshowfandanny »

My guess is that they are postponing the Teachers Tournament to May 18-29, so the season can run until June 12. Hopefully, the Teachers Tournament will air at some point. I'm hoping it's not like when Wheel pulled two weeks because one promoted Carnival Cruise Lines and the other promoted Collette UK vacations.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

What's funny is that people will watch KJ's first and last episodes, and go "So what was the big deal?"
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

From the J! FB page:

"More new episodes are coming after the #JeopardyGOAT encore, including the 2020 #TeachersTournament. Stay tuned!"
gameshowfandanny

Another thing I forgot to mention:
Fans probably have seen Ken's last regular-play episode since it's on the "Jeopardy! An Inside Look at America's Favorite Quiz Show" DVD (along with the UToC Finals and the first-ever Trebek game where Greg Hopkins won).
By the way, even though the article on Jeopardy!'s website says that Ken's first episode and last regular-play episode haven't been aired since their original air date, his defeat reran on September 10, 2004 when they showed classic episodes that week since it was the last week of Season 25 reruns (On Monday, they showed the first Trebek game, Tuesday was Eddie Timanus' fifth game, Wednesday was Ken's 74th game, and Friday was the UToC finale).
ParrotRob
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by ParrotRob »

Good. Looking forward to watching Ken teach that whippersnapper a lesson again ;)
--
Drowning in the pool
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

econgator wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:43 pm From the J! FB page:

"More new episodes are coming after the #JeopardyGOAT encore, including the 2020 #TeachersTournament. Stay tuned!"
Good to know. Thank you!
AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

Ill have a 2 week vacation then! :P
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

I'm surprised ABC let them dip into their shallow pool so soon, but I guess it's part of the agreement. I guess they think there's not much enjoyment of reruns for the prime time crowd? I'm sure ABC is looking to fill any hours it can, but I think a lot of the drama was based on "who's gonna win", and not the questions themselves. Repeating GOAT would be like repeating Survivor - not much of an audience when you know the outcome.

It wouldn't surprise me if the 10 episode package was planned to be part of the summer reruns that were supposed to happen between S36 and S37 - we're just getting it a bit earlier than planned. I'd love to see some early Alex episodes when they start rerunning them - I'm talking about pre-labial depiliation. Granted, some clues may be "out of date", but that makes it a little more fun and a little more challenging!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

They have eight unplanned blank weeks so this takes care of two of them. I suspect they will show more of James to fill time but that is just a guess.
alamble

Post by alamble »

gameshowfandanny wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:39 pm My guess is that they are postponing the Teachers Tournament to May 18-29, so the season can run until June 12. Hopefully, the Teachers Tournament will air at some point. I'm hoping it's not like when Wheel pulled two weeks because one promoted Carnival Cruise Lines and the other promoted Collette UK vacations.
According to one of the Teachers’ Tournament contestants, they’ve been informed that the tournament will air starting on Memorial Day. I suspect they are attempting to space out new content as best they can.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I have no desire to see reruns of content that I saw just three months ago where many of the questions are likely still in my mind. I get why they're doing it... but the whole situation stinks.
gameshowfandanny

alamble wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:33 pm
gameshowfandanny wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:39 pm My guess is that they are postponing the Teachers Tournament to May 18-29, so the season can run until June 12. Hopefully, the Teachers Tournament will air at some point. I'm hoping it's not like when Wheel pulled two weeks because one promoted Carnival Cruise Lines and the other promoted Collette UK vacations.
According to one of the Teachers’ Tournament contestants, they’ve been informed that the tournament will air starting on Memorial Day. I suspect they are attempting to space out new content as best they can.
Interesting. So, May 18-22 will probably still be the first episodes taped without an audience and the other week with no audience will probably air June 8-12. It probably is either that or the non-audience episodes will air June 8-19 (Most likely the former).
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Will the airing of repeats affect the numbering of episodes, I wonder?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

alamble wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:33 pm
They may be holding out hope they can finish the season.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

This gives me time to get through the backlog on my DVR. I just watched the Halloween 2018 episode. I think I dressed up as a clown that year. Hard to know what’s real anymore at this point in quarantine.
gameshowfandanny

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:10 pm Will the airing of repeats affect the numbering of episodes, I wonder?
In Season 1, the show gave the summer reruns new episode numbers, resulting in a 65 episode discrepancy (meaning that, for example, they celebrated their 8,000 show on #8065, but instead of celebrating their 7,000th show on #7065, they celebrated it on #7073). I don't think they will do that this time, as they didn't do that with any other reruns.