Thursday, April 23, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Category 13
Wagering Viking

Re: Thursday, April 23, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Category 13 »

opusthepenguin wrote: Especially Sgt Pepper. That album alone gets you three of the five clues. They should've just gone for all five, rounding things out with Lovely Rita and Mr. Kite. Or, if you prefer, Albert Hall.
This is pretty much what I was going to post. However, I would like to have seen Dr Robert come up in place of one of the Sgt Pepper songs.
Turns out, they did put Lovely Rita in the J-6 spot.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

floridagator wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:23 pm * The innominate situation is where the leader has a runaway and the second-place contestant desperately needs to get above 50% but the third-place contestant prevents the second-place contestant from doing that.
"Stop trying to make 'fetch' happen."

Weird night for me, with the NFL draft preempting J! and nevertheless still eating into half of it. In Final I had Molly's same odd thought of Vietnam, then thought Japan made a lot of sense, and then my mom asked, "Does Japan have a prime minister?" and I switched back to Vietnam. I think I get this right most nights, but tonight's circumstances just threw me off.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

seaborgium wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:46 am "Stop trying to make 'fetch' happen."
Yeah, seems if you need to define it every single time you use, you should just stop using it.

One might say continued use of it is, oh, I don't know ... hubris?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

econgator wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:42 am
seaborgium wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:46 am "Stop trying to make 'fetch' happen."
Yeah, seems if you need to define it every single time you use, you should just stop using it.

One might say continued use of it is, oh, I don't know ... hubris?
Never mind the inherent contradiction in naming it "innominate."
floridagator
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by floridagator »

Innominate means it doesn't have a name. If it had happened to (arguendo) Arthur Chu in his last game, we might call it the Chu situation. Whatever you call it, it is a real threat to a Jeopardy contestant if a third-place contestant who has no chance of being anywhere but third at the end of double jeopardy is sinking both her own chances and those of the second place contestant by ringing in. This is rational actor Theory, plain and simple.

You have a vein in your body called the innominate vein.
Last edited by floridagator on Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

One more thing. People here are always complaining about the story Alex chose for the contestant interview. Alex doesn't choose anything. He's given a card with one story on it, which the contestant coordinator has selected, from information the contestant furnished.

The questions are written without knowledge of who the contestants are going to be. The contestants are chosen without knowledge of what the questions are. When the contestants write their stories, and when the contestant coordinators pick them out for the game, they have no idea what the questions are going to be in that game.

If Alex had discretion when it came to that, that would let him steer the the game in a particular direction, by making available some information that might come up after the interview segment.

Hence, any suggestion that Alex is exercising discretion by what he talks about in the interview is manifestly unfair. If Alex asks question of a contestant about her Newfoundland dog and the next question called is about Newfoundland dogs, that is a byproduct of having these two teams working independently of each other to create the game. It is not Alex having mischief.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

floridagator wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:17 am One more thing. People here are always complaining about the story Alex chose for the contestant interview. Alex doesn't choose anything. He's given a card with one story on it, which the contestant coordinator has selected, from information the contestant furnished.
I'm not sure where you're getting that from, but you are wrong. All 5 stories are on the card, and Alex chooses which one he's going to talk about. Unless you somehow have a better source than actually being in the studio and being told that and seeing that.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Not only that, but the CCs frequently highlight their preference(s) based on their evaluation of story interest and length (I presume--since some stories just can't be told, at least not by their tellers, in the desired 10-seconds-or-less timeframe) and Alex often ignores the highlighting, picking whatever he finds most interesting.

Just me, but I absolutely believe that sometimes Alex does mischief picking a story based on game material.
DanKirshner
Contributor

Post by DanKirshner »

Japan seemed obvious in retrospect after reflecting on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. I'm not sure why, but I didn't think of it.

I love the Beatles, and am pretty familiar with their songs. For some reason, in the context and time constraints of watching Jeopardy!, I have a hard time associating lyric with song.

I fully expected a reversal on Skull and Crossbones. The category was *ends* in LL. Can anyone give a good explanation as to why this was accepted?
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

For 26 seconds I bounced back and forth between Pakistan and India, knowing full well they are both now pursuing nuclear agendas. Fortunately Japan sprung to mind with enough time to write it down. Seems obvious in hindsight.

Got the gunpowder plot from my viewing of "V for Vendetta". I can't be the only one who phrased their response as "The fifth of November".
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

DanKirshner wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:17 am Japan seemed obvious in retrospect after reflecting on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. I'm not sure why, but I didn't think of it.
Even sadder, I thought of Japan, understood why it was a good guess, and stuck with my random response of Indonesia. This morning I received a resignation letter from my brain.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

heppm01 wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:40 am Got the gunpowder plot from my viewing of "V for Vendetta". I can't be the only one who phrased their response as "The fifth of November".
Another one here. I even yelled, "No! Incorrect!" at my TV when Sharon came back with "What is November the 5th?" I didn't really want Alex to neg her, of course, but I did want him to repeat the response back to her in its correct format.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

MitchO wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:50 pm
morbeedo wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:48 pm How should anyone be expected to know the date of the gunpowder plot?? The Walden fact was an excellent piece of trivia on the other hand
Because it has it's own Wikipedia page?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guy_Fawkes_Night
Fair enough.I could give you 17th c. for gunpowder plot and that's about it
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

PSA:

Eisaku Satō - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Eisaku_Satō
Satō shared the Nobel Peace Prize with Seán MacBride in 1974. He was awarded for representing the Japanese people's will for peace, and for signing the nuclear arms Non-Proliferation Treaty in 1970.

I did not care for the clue because I immediately thought Japan, then wondered if the person was supposed to be famous enough for a quiz show question. Therefore the PSA above, and a NHO PM of Japan, but seems like a nice guy :). After I made a segue to India to get a famous person, I dropped it because India joined the nuke club as fast as they could steal the technology. As did Israel and South Africa, although they pretended otherwise.

I liked the dates category and would have been negged for blurting out "what is Guy Falkes day?". Same with "Valentine's Day", but I could at least BMS it correctly. I guess Sharon is Canadian, so she has some basis to know the real date for Guy Falkes Day, if not the prosaic 'Fifth of November' form. I agree with Florida Gator that the contestants are doing themselves a disservice by playing the bottom rows first, maybe the middle would more their speed.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

floridagator wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:17 am One more thing. People here are always complaining about the story Alex chose for the contestant interview. Alex doesn't choose anything. He's given a card with one story on it, which the contestant coordinator has selected, from information the contestant furnished.
The people who usually broach that subject are the contestants themselves, who would know what options Alex had better than you, no?
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

alietr wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:39 am
I'm not sure where you're getting that from, but you are wrong. All 5 stories are on the card, and Alex chooses which one he's going to talk about. Unless you somehow have a better source than actually being in the studio and being told that and seeing that.
And I would add that Alex is not restricted to topics the contestants have provided. During one of my interviews, he chose his own direction and asked a question I hadn't "rehearsed" an answer to. The topics Maggie had on the card included my "collection" of three pinball machines and "once held hostage by a foreign government during an international incident" (the twist being it wasn't NEARLY as interesting as it sounds). Instead, Alex threw a curve ball by asking what subjects I taught before I retired, resulting in a little bit of stammering.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

The procedure as of October 2012 (which is when I taped) was that the contestant coordinators had distilled our information down to three possible choices that went on the index card. We had a chance to look them over and designate which of the three we preferred, but Alex had the option to ask about a different one (which is what he did with me).
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:29 am
heppm01 wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:40 am Got the gunpowder plot from my viewing of "V for Vendetta". I can't be the only one who phrased their response as "The fifth of November".
Another one here. I even yelled, "No! Incorrect!" at my TV when Sharon came back with "What is November the 5th?" I didn't really want Alex to neg her, of course, but I did want him to repeat the response back to her in its correct format.
^^
TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:30 pm No guess on FJ! I don't even know what a statesman is.
Scrapped villain from Mega Man 11

Israel for FJ, but I ended up playing from the Archive because the freaking draft ran 45 minutes over (its already allotted FOUR AND A HALF HOUR WINDOW! And people whine about the Oscars running long...) and having already lost the J! round decided to just do the whole thing. Archive playing, tho, messes up my rhythm and can't always grok right from text alone.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9), Baby Doll (6)
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

floridagator wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:17 amAlex doesn't choose anything.
Highly relevant mental floss clickbait that just appeared in my facebook feed.
Jeopardy! contestants are never sure which personal story Alex is going to mention.

Jeopardy!’s contestants have a chance to talk about their interests when Alex approaches them for a brief one-on-one after the first commercial break. To prepare, players give the contestant coordinators a few interesting anecdotes to choose from. The coordinators then pick their top three favorites.

But that’s where the coordinators’ input ends. After that, it’s ultimately left up to Alex to choose which one he wants to ask contestants to elaborate on. The players won’t know which he chooses until he makes his move over to the podiums.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

60 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Jim Thorpe, Whiskey Rebellion, (Twin Peaks), Kansas, The Keystone State, Duchess of Alba, Kidnapped, Sinclair Lewis, (George Sand), Bernadette Soubirous, Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, Guru
Douglas Squasoni