Friday, April 24, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, April 24, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by twelvefootboy »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:24 pm Anyone else yell at their TV when Sarah mispronounced the title of the John Fowles novel. :lol:
for those who don't know
It's The French LEF-tenant's Woman
Anyway, congrats to Sarah for an impressive performance.
Didn't she also get the Adlai Stevenson clue (and pronounced with to sound like "eye")? I saw that as a perfect example of studied trivia knowlege. Now I suppose I'll learn I've been wrong going with the Ad-"lee" pronunciptation :roll: .

I don't like to root against a deserving winner, but I was hoping Tim would get a mulligan for his injudicious DD3 bet choice. However, it likely would have been DOA with a tough FJ due to the suicide wager.

Sarah was solid and stealthy. I'm with MB on the "you knows", but I can stand them better than multiple "likes". At least they are a placeholder construct to indicate the speaker is not finished speaking.

Pavlov to Wright Brothers, then further processing of clue took me to Mercedes with no Benz, but I couldn't connect any historical links. Once I went back to England and thought of Rolls Royce, it was game, set, and match because I have extensive business experience with their nuclear program and cables for their engines. But, TIL it is the named after two people.

For all the boardies that are caterwauling about the NFL draft - let the diehard sports fans have a bone :). At least they aren't telling you to inject Lysol in your veins. :lol:

ETA - MB, as I was checking the truthiness of my post I spotted a type. Or you may have been channeling some of Tim's math for the recap of the FJ bets:

Tim Latham: 15200+15000=30400
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Whiffed FJ. For some reason, I was stuck on trains, so I just said Pullman, knowing full well he was American. I'm not really a car person, so....I'm not surprised I didn't get it.

In the "How did I know that?" column, AFL-CIO. I had no idea what it stood for, and vaguely knew it was associated with unions, so I aggressively buzzed and got it. I knew nothing about the union, but I did know that it was always said "AFL, CIO" with a big pause, not "AFLCIO", so it made sense to me that it would be two separate entities at the start. Also gonna put Schleswig-Holstein there - aggression and half-knowledge pays off.

I knew the exact movie for "Whiplash", but the title tripped me up. Came up with "Backbeat", which is a music movie, and is a 4-4 compound word - at least I knew enough to know it was wrong.

I got trapped with knowing too much about pi, and said transcendental instead of irrational. It's wrong, but wrong for a really picky reason - incommensurables isn't exactly a common mathematical word AFAIK. And, looking it up, "incommensurable" refers to not one single number, but a pair of numbers whose ratio is irrational. So, one of those numbers can be rational - pi and 5 are incommensurable despite 5 being rational, while pi and 4 * pi are commensurable, since their ratio is 1/4. I'm not a fan of the question, and I'm a math geek.

I hope J! has some clues involving the responses "antibody", "The Cure", and "remission", because all we've had recently is "pandemic" and, today for the second month in a row, "corona".
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

econgator wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:01 pm Especially because they're showing it on both ABC and ESPN. Don't know why they need both.
Hmm, there mu$t be $ome rea$on. (To be less oblique: because they can make a lot more money from commercials when they run it on both ABC and ESPN.)

After KABC joined the show in progress a few minutes in, they then started the DJ! round again in the slot where FJ! was supposed to go (and DJ! ran for the length of what should have been the FJ! segment, then was cut off). I thought it was a weird glitch with my DVR at first. I had to play FJ! from the archive.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I thought things were better tonight on the preemption front when KABC got to J! just before the first commercial break. Then during the last one they started playing the beginning of the show, then way too many more commercials, then the start of DJ, then more commercials, and then it was 9:30 and Wheel began. So I caught the beginning and end of the show online. To cap things off, I changed from Rolls to Aston. Boo.

In Tim's defense: his DD3 was the next thousand above the minimum wager that would guarantee a crush even if Sarah nabbed the remaining clues. Sarah could max out at $17,200, for which crush territory is above $25,800. A few options:
list of several wagers
Less-than-lead wagers (stay ahead of Sarah if wrong)
$0-$2,399—guarantee pre-FJ lead over Sarah, cannot achieve crush
$2,400-$3,199—guarantee pre-FJ lead over Sarah, can achieve crush with correct response and two or three subsequent clues (while Sarah gets none)
$3,200-$4,399—can be tied or overtaken by Sarah on subsequent clues if wrong, can achieve crush with correct response and one or two subsequent clues (while Sarah gets none or one)

Lead plus less than $1,200 wagers (can catch back up to Sarah if wrong)
$4,400—tie Sarah if wrong, can achieve crush or exact 150% (lead in a two-thirds game) with correct response on one subsequent clue (even as Sarah gets one or both of the other two)
$4,401-$4,799—guaranteed crush with correct response and one subsequent clue, can retake lead with one subsequent clue if wrong (and hold on to it with a second get after that)
$4,800-$5,400—not much improvement over the above set of wagers, with more catching up to do on incorrect response
$5,401-$5,600—guaranteed crush with correct response, can retake lead from (or share lead with) Sarah after incorrect response by getting all subsequent clues
I don't know whether Tim was specifically looking to guarantee himself a crush; my suspicion is that he was just approximating half his distance to lock territory. But if it was the former, it's unfortunate that he missed the sweet spot by just a few hundred. (And no matter anyway; since he didn't sweep the remaining clues, those few hundred wouldn't have saved him.)
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

DBear wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:54 pm :D :D :D on DDs
My FJ precall was way old school, Archimedes.
Guessed Daimler for FJ. Early engine designs, I'm going with the Germans :(
I'm sure that collectively we were all over the place. My instant thought was Wright Brothers, but 1) discounted as not British and b) which would be considered "first?"

Next went to Europe where I also thought German, and at first wrote down Mercedes, not even remembering Daimler.

Then thought "No, still not British!" and crossed back over the channel to land on Rolls. Good thing I didn't think about Aston (Astin?)

After a very poor showing this week (missed 3 of 4 FJ :roll: ) it was good to get back into the Win column.

What I'd really like to know, though, is what was going through the champ's mind when he saw the Alaskan flag with its big dipper and north star and thought to guess "the moon and the stars?!"

LT on Nautilus, finishing (kick), and (Schleswig)- Holstein.

Sarah is from Hutto, Texas?! I am very familiar with the area (went to college nearby) and remember always getting a chuckle out of hearing about that high school and its mascot, the Hutto Hippos.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

No comment on that DD wager.

I also started with the Wright brothers but had no idea who they would want out of those two. Went to Germany and thought of Mercedes and Daimler before noticing they were answering for a British guy and that got me there.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

John Boy wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:02 am What I'd really like to know, though, is what was going through the champ's mind when he saw the Alaskan flag with its big dipper and north star and thought to guess "the moon and the stars?!"
The previous clue that was visual was the flag of Oregon, which had "State of *BLANK SPACE*" on top, so maybe he was thinking that the sun and the moon were similarly redacted? The clue was "These two heavenly sights", and maybe he was thinking they were ones other than what was being shown, rather than a "What are these items?" clue. Also, when I saw the visual, my brain went "Oh, that's Alaska", before having to redirect myself to identifying the constellation.
davey

Post by davey »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:12 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:24 pm Anyone else yell at their TV when Sarah mispronounced the title of the John Fowles novel. :lol:
for those who don't know
It's The French LEF-tenant's Woman
Anyway, congrats to Sarah for an impressive performance.
Didn't she also get the Adlai Stevenson clue (and pronounced with to sound like "eye")? I saw that as a perfect example of studied trivia knowlege. Now I suppose I'll learn I've been wrong going with the Ad-"lee" pronunciptation :roll: .
How to pronounce his name was a question even in his day...and before!
http://adlaitoday.org/ideas/archive/Nam ... y_1952.pdf
I'm relieved to confirm the popular choice is correct.
I proudly pronounced the Fowles title in the American way... :roll:
I blew the final in a way no one else has copped to - going to aviation companies...So I ended up with Lockheed... :oops:
(Turns out Lockheed did start his first company in 1912, so not completely out of the realm of possibility. Pilots weren't licensed in the US until 1927... :D But Moore-Brabazon got his English licence - note sp.! - in 1910... :cry: )
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

davey wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:12 pm ... Pilots weren't licensed in the US until 1927... :D But Moore-Brabazon got his English licence - note sp.! - in 1910... :cry: )
Depends how you define licence
IMG_4911.jpg
IMG_4911.jpg (56.73 KiB) Viewed 3738 times
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9), Baby Doll (6)
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

In his spot on that last DD, With time to look at it, the ideal wager is likely $3,500, if there is an ideal wager. It gets you really close to 1.5x (the way the game closed, he would have had if he got it right). More important, Sarah has to run the final three clues to be ahead going into FJ, when he got it wrong.

Jeopardy can just hit your wheelhouse sometimes. I have a degree in Aerospace engineering. I worked for GE aircraft engines, the number one producer of aircraft engines on the planet. Most people don't know that number two is Rolls-Royce. Based on the classes I took in college, Kepler was one of the easiest clues on the board for me.
Last edited by Sherm on Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:29 am The FJ! clue still has me shaking my head at myself. I spent half the time debating which Wright brother to write before realizing that would not be fair and makes no sense.
Robert K S wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:54 am Anybody else say Pratt? Dumb move on my part
I immediately went with Rolls while my wife simultaneously said "Pratt." First, I was surprised that she came up with it, and second, it was a good enough guess that it made me think for a moment before resettling on Rolls simply because the clue pertained to Britain.

Pratt & Whitney started as a tool company around the time of the Civil War, and Pratt died before the Wright brothers' first flight, but from the perspective of over a century later it's understandable that a lot of aviation pioneers look to be more contemporaneous than they actually were.

It's even OK to go with Wright for a few seconds in the heat of the moment, since "Wright Cyclone" is a pretty well known two-word name associated with aircraft engines. It might take a second or two to think, "Wait, there was no one named Cyclone in the company."

Neither answer is something worth beating one's self up over. They're incorrect, but I wouldn't regard them as stupid.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Sherm wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:32 pm I worked for GE aircraft engines, the number one producer of aircraft engines on the planet. Most people don't know that number two is Rolls-Royce.
And I wonder how many people could name a city where Rolls-Royce produces aircraft engines, which lent its name to a local sports team.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

55 R (Missed the Bottom Two in Movie Villain Quotes.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Fat, Drunk, and Stupid; Nautilus, Finishing Kick, Bears, Free Kick, Holstein, (Johannes Kepler)
Douglas Squasoni
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

floridagator wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:38 pm
Sherm wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:32 pm I worked for GE aircraft engines, the number one producer of aircraft engines on the planet. Most people don't know that number two is Rolls-Royce.
And I wonder how many people could name a city where Rolls-Royce produces aircraft engines, which lent its name to a local sports team.
Indianapolis, but it was originally Allison Aircraft Engines, not Rolls-Royce. I’m quite familiar with the AE3007 which was designed there and is produced there. Rolls bought Allison in the late ‘90s I think?
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

^ that is not the answer I was looking for, and it would only be correct if Indianapolis has a professional sports team that reflects it being a manufacturing center for aircraft engines
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

floridagator wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:05 am ^ that is not the answer I was looking for, and it would only be correct if Indianapolis has a professional sports team that reflects it being a manufacturing center for aircraft engines
So? The city of Indianapolis has a sports team named after it - the Indianapolis Colts. It also has a RR (originally Allison) aircraft engine plant. You asked for “...name a city where Rolls-Royce produces aircraft engines, which lent its name to a local sports team.” I read that as asking for a city, which contains a RR aircraft engine production plant, which also has a sports team named after the city. Indianapolis satisfies those criteria. If you meant something different, I humbly request you reword your question; I think my reading of it is legitimate.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Professional sports nicknames for $400:

This team takes its name from its city being a prominent manufacturing center for Rolls Royce aircraft engines.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

floridagator wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:06 pm Professional sports nicknames for $400:

This team takes its name from its city being a prominent manufacturing center for Rolls Royce aircraft engines.
What are the Dahlewitz Turbofans?
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

jeopardyfan87 wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:36 pm Wow, as a result of this episode, I wonder when the last time was where all 5 winners of the week came from the third podium.
The last time when a contestant at the rightmost podium won every game in a week was March 2-6, 2009. That was also the most recent time when that happened in five straight episodes.