FJs for the 4/20/20 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 4/20/20 week?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:49 pm

In October 2019 this song, a duet, was still in the Top 10 on Billboard's Adult Contemporary chart after spending a year on the chart
56%
Publishers Weekly has dubbed this former middle school English teacher turned bestselling author "Storyteller of the Gods"
34%
In 2014 this democratic nation broke the record for total turnout in a single election with more than 500 million voters
96%
The first Asian to accept the Nobel Peace Prize was the prime minister of this country who in 1967 renounced use of nuclear weapons
60%
John Moore-Brabazon, the first pilot licensed by England, had learned about engines working for this man, first half of a famous pair  
52%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:  I checked all five above.
5%
:( :( :( :( :(  I missed all the FJ! clues.
1%
COUNTRY OF THE BRIDGE $1600 box DD: The Bridge of the Americas (not the one in "Sicario")
48%
AT REST IN WASHINGTON, D.C. $2000: At Prospect Hill Cemetery: William with this last name who owned the house where Abraham Lincoln died
9%
LITERATURE $2000: In 1930 this "Main Street" author became the first American to win the Nobel Prize for Literature
54%
I knew the Monday FJ! clue wanted the song from A Star is Born but I did not know the title.
13%
Neil Gaiman was my incorrect guess for the Tuesday FJ! clue.
12%
I knew the Tuesday FJ! clue wanted the Percy Jackson author, but I did not know, or blanked, on his name.
19%
I missed the Friday FJ! clue by guessing an American. Feel free to post the name.
26%
I missed the Friday FJ! clue by guessing a German. Feel free to post the name.
9%
The airing of the NFL on Thursday and/or Friday caused J! not to air at the normal time on my local affiliate.
30%

Total votes: 98

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

FJs for the 4/20/20 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

4/20 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
RECENT MOVIE SONGS

4/20 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In October 2019 this song, a duet, was still in the Top 10 on Billboard's Adult Contemporary chart after spending a year on the chart

4/21 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CONTEMPORARY AUTHORS

4/21 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Publishers Weekly has dubbed this former middle school English teacher turned bestselling author "Storyteller of the Gods"

4/22 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WORLD ELECTIONS

4/22 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 2014 this democratic nation broke the record for total turnout in a single election with more than 500 million voters

4/23 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
STATESMEN

4/23 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The first Asian to accept the Nobel Peace Prize was the prime minister of this country who in 1967 renounced use of nuclear weapons

4/24 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
MEN & MACHINES

4/24 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
John Moore-Brabazon, the first pilot licensed by England, had learned about engines working for this man, first half of a famous pair

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
"Shallow"
Rick Riordan
India
Japan
(Charles) Rolls
The players were 9/15 (60.00%) with a 1-2-2-2-2 success pattern.

The extra clues have a requested missed Daily Double followed by two triple stumpers.

COUNTRY OF THE BRIDGE $1600 box DD: The Bridge of the Americas (not the one in "Sicario")

AT REST IN WASHINGTON, D.C. $2000: At Prospect Hill Cemetery: William with this last name who owned the house where Abraham Lincoln died

LITERATURE $2000: In 1930 this "Main Street" author became the first American to win the Nobel Prize for Literature

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Panama
Petersen
Sinclair Lewis

Last edited by MarkBarrett on Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Re: FJs for the 4/20/20 week

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :( :(
:( :( :mrgreen:

Gaiman ( Realized it was Percy Jackson author too late in think time to have time to recall the author)
Burma
Harley after crossing out Wilbur then Orville Wright
J! bumped to 10:00 on Thursday & Friday though aired at that time in its entirety.
Leander

Post by Leander »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

No guess Thursday

J! pre-empted Friday for the draft.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :| :mrgreen:

Just started flashcards on YA literature this past weekend, but I'm several learning steps away from having Tuesday's FJ within reach. "Shallow" was a flashcard success for me. I have a deck of Recent #1 hits. No idea what it's from, never heard the song, but a get's a get...
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

:roll: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
Knew they wanted the Percy Jackson author
Guessed Daimler for Rolls.
13/15 on DDs
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

:( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
--- :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:---

Rowling on Tuesday. Wizards are godlike, aren't they? Would never have got Jackson.

I guessed Japan because I couldn't see it being China, although China would have been the only Asian country to have a bomb to renounce the use of.

I was quite confident about Rolls. For one thing, Roll-Royce has come up before in FJ, which is always a plus if it hasn't been too recently.

Panama seemed logical for the bridge, though I don't know what the "Sicario" reference is about. Glad they didn't ask about that.

Don't know if J! was preempted here or not.

(attempted) edit: Definitely did NOT get Petersen House nor had any chance.
Last edited by Lefty on Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm smart and I want respect.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

Tue - Knew it was the Percy Jackson author, but you could've spotted me the Riorda_ and I'd still need a few guesses

Frustrated at missing Petersen House. I've even been there. TWICE! And back then, the pillow was in the Petersen house on the replica bed under glass, not at Ford's.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
ilcap
Valued Contributor

Post by ilcap »

:mrgreen: :? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :?
:mrgreen: :? :mrgreen:

Knew they were asking about the Percy Jackson guy on Tuesday but couldn't come up with a name.

Hated myself for missing the Friday one. When I think of engine makers from that time my brain goes to Americans and Germans, even after they spotted us that the pilot was English...
davey

Post by davey »

:( :( :mrgreen: :( :(
Toughest week for me in a long time... :cry:
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :( :(

Gaiman on Tuesday
Vietnam on Thursday
Harley on Friday

Thursday Jeopardy got interrupted by tornado warnings in north Florida, had to play off archives.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Sorry if this point has been made already; I didn't notice. There was no country known as "Vietnam" in 1967; at least, not on the maps we used in the USA.
I'm smart and I want respect.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

:( :( :( :( :(
:( :( :(

Bradley Cooper song rang a bell after the fact but couldn't access it in 10+ minutes of brain searching.

Absolutely hopeless on the rest.
Shaquebanisa
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Shaquebanisa »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

Said Gaiman
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

I guessed Daimler and dh guessed Pratt. Neither of us even thought of Rolls.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
:( :( :(

I knew Percy Jackson, and knew it came from a YA book (and even spawned a musical), but NHO the author.

I guessed American: Pullman. Not really part of a pair, unless there's a Mr. Coach. If I'd thought "British" and started thinking of Bond-type fancy cars, I might have gotten there, since I vaguely knew Rolls-Royce makes jet engines. Or I could have made up an imaginary Mr. Aston. Or gone with Mercedes over Benz. But TBH, I wasn't thinking of car engines; I was thinking train engines. I honestly don't know which would be closer to a plane/jet engine.

NHO either Bridge of the Americas, but I'll grant that they both seem very important. I knew Mexico was the wrong bridge thanks to the Sicario neg, and would have guessed that it was the bridge connecting the US to Mexico - so the clue would probably have to refer to BOTH countries if they wanted the Sicario bridge.

NHO Petersen house. Haven't been to Washington DC since maybe the late 80s/early 90s?

The only Sinclair Lewis literature I recognized scanning his bibliography is "It Can't Happen Here", even if "Main Street" might be better known generally. Note to self: Do not confuse with Upton Sinclair.
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

"A Star Is Born" (correctly guessed the movie, had no idea on the song title, and had to look it up now), Aston (also considered: Harley, Mercedes, Orville Wright; so I correctly stuck with British names, but one that's not a person)

No preemptions here, although the last couple weeks the show's been airing half an hour earlier after constant interruptions from Washington the previous couple weeks. It's going back to its normal slot Monday.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

:( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Instagets on Wednesday-Friday FJs. Instaget on Sinclair Lewis too, although I am not a fan - had to read Babbitt in college US History class, and have some passing familiarity with the rest of his oeuvre.
True North
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by True North »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :( :(

The corrects were all instagets or close enough. I knew Wednesday’s was the Percy Jackson guy, but never bothered to commit Riordan’s name to memory.

Same with Sinclair Lewis, much more egregious.
Philliesfan02
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Philliesfan02 »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
:mrgreen: :( :(

My 9th week in a row getting at least 3/5 FJ!