Monday, April 27, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: Monday, April 27, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by seaborgium »

I almost said Jackson for FJ too, but I remembered he was Confederate and hastily switched to Grant for lack of a better idea. For me it wasn't because of his nickname, but because I changed his missing arm to a missing leg; I assumed he'd be quite used to sitting down as a result.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Leander wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:49 pm Had two Union generals in mind whose names started with “M”, and picked the wrong one.
Yep. Realized the year mistake too late.
morbeedo wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:47 pm THANK YOU, Alex, for sparing us the pain of hearing Conquered/Concord, Niece/Nice, Soul/Seoul. "You don't have to give two words", and for one brief shining moment, everything was right in the world again
Clearly this episode was taped after our short ranting about this -exact problem- and Alex reads the board and took our feedback to heart. :D
( viewtopic.php?p=331054#p331054 )
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
talkingaway
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by talkingaway »

I had a bad weekend with a furnace that went out and close-to-freezing temperatures over the weekend and forecast (yes, in April :evil: ), so this episode, along with a video of fried gnocchi (Google it, it's like a live-action Swedish Chef muppet sketch), really perked me up. Chaka Khan - yes, that's the exact mistake I'm going to make when wanting to pull either Shaka Zulu, or Genghis or Kubla Khan, so I sympathize, and it was hilarious. You could say I even... 8-) ...feel for her. So hilarious that I didn't get the obvious rebound.

I wasn't paying attention to the location of the jib clue - that should have been a red flag that "jib" alone wouldn't be the correct answer. "I like the cut of your..." for $1000? Nope. But interesting to hear from those who have been in the studio - I always assumed video clues were shown on a side screen, but the main screen has the written clue, right? Tough to guess which one will ultimately be more helpful. For some reason, when I saw the picture, I was going for "sloop" because I was thinking about difficulty - but as soon as Alex said "I like the cut of your...", the two-word part of the clue vanished from my brain, and I went "jib" too.

NHO McClellan - knowledge gap, time to get some cement. Had nothing but Grant. I absolutely loved the postmortem, even if it can't happen after every show due to time or interest.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I was glad to see Sarah repeat, especially after her interview segment! I happened to read Grant and Lee by John Fuller a few weeks ago so that’s why I got this FJ. I love trying to say “zloty” correctly but I’m not sure I ever conquered it. This is the last week of new shows for awhile, right? But this show clearly had an audience. Are there more new episodes in the can?
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Volante wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:56 pm
Leander wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:49 pm Had two Union generals in mind whose names started with “M”, and picked the wrong one.
Presumably you guys had Meade for your wrong guess?

My wife told me several people on Twitter have commented "I feel for you" in response to the Chaka Khan gaff. :lol:

Did anyone feel like Lauren didn't get enough time for the defibrillator DD?
Last edited by This Is Kirk! on Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

So was anyone as jarred by the "code blue" clue as I was?
A Wray
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by A Wray »

Linear Gnome wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:35 pm
Leander wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:47 pm
Linear Gnome wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:26 pm
The correct pronunciation of "Concord" (with a schwa in the second syllable) is a homophone for "conquered". Lauren's pronunciation is not, but the judges have accepted much more egregious things lately so I shrug my shoulders and move on with life.
Not trying to devolve into one of those endless pronunciation discussions, but living in New England, I have almost always heard the town pronounced as “Con-cord”, correct or not, and couldn’t for the life of me figure how it fit the clue. Your post helped.
I appreciate your comment, since I had the impression that the schwa pronunciation was the local pronunciation. Thanks for setting me straight.
No, you were right the first time. I grew up two towns from Concord and always heard it pronounced as a homophone of "conquered." And Wikipedia agrees with me:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concord,_Massachusetts
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Johnblue wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:03 pm I was glad to see Sarah repeat, especially after her interview segment! I happened to read Grant and Lee by John Fuller a few weeks ago so that’s why I got this FJ. I love trying to say “zloty” correctly but I’m not sure I ever conquered it. This is the last week of new shows for awhile, right? But this show clearly had an audience. Are there more new episodes in the can?
There are four more weeks that have been recorded. Two are Teachers with audience and two are regular without audience. The teachers will air first and to be determined are the regular play ones is my understanding.

Yes, this week has four games left and then it's the two weeks of KJ & Co.

Hammer: The code blue problem is all yours. Ignore the players failing it. It's as common as can be for medical TV, movies, etc. Everybody comes across things on the show unknown to them. This is one to let go and move on.

Red & black show what the stage/lights can do to people. Believe me, today's contestants got the business at home from friends & family over it as it's very common usage. My brother is a paramedic (EMT when I was on) and he got grief because of my botching first responders with first defense somehow.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:04 pm Did anyone feel like Lauren didn't get enough time for the defibrillator DD?
It seemed really fast. It also looked like she was stuck and couldn't think of anything so it probably didn't matter.

I thought of Stonewall Jackson at first, knew that was wrong, then went to Grant, which didn't make any sense, and eventually got to McClellan. Not sure if I would have gotten it in time but I'll count it for the poll.

Katniss Everdeen escaped me for the DD. I got as far as Jennifer Lawrence and The Hunger Games, but not the required name of the character. It's come up several times.

Zlotny instead of Zloty. As soon as I get that currency fixed in my head it will be replaced with the Euro and it will be a moot point.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

A Wray wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:12 pm
Linear Gnome wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:35 pm I appreciate your comment, since I had the impression that the schwa pronunciation was the local pronunciation. Thanks for setting me straight.
No, you were right the first time. I grew up two towns from Concord and always heard it pronounced as a homophone of "conquered." And Wikipedia agrees with me:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concord,_Massachusetts
Thanks. [Linear Gnome resumes "old lady shakes fist at cloud" pose.]
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

MattKnowles wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:47 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:04 pm Did anyone feel like Lauren didn't get enough time for the defibrillator DD?
It seemed really fast. It also looked like she was stuck and couldn't think of anything so it probably didn't matter.
My guess is the editors cut the dead air short in post to save a few seconds for the long dialogue at the end.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Johnblue wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:03 pm I love trying to say “zloty” correctly but I’m not sure I ever conquered it.
Zwoh-tih. Like "woe" with a Z at the beginning (a regular one as in "zoom," not like the one in "seizure" that Alex decided to say today) (and a foreign long O sound), followed by "tip" with no P (and a foreign palatalized/dentalized T). The L is actually Ł, which is now basically like English W, but apparently evolved to that from a sound like that throaty Russian L Alex likes to put in any of his Slavic pronunciations containing an L, so I suppose I shouldn't give him too much guff for pronouncing Ł like that (but I will anyway).
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Although Grant seemed too obvious, I was thinking of his boozing reputation, which might make him lethargic enough to hold still.

When Lauren responded "Code Red" I was expecting Alex to make some coincidental comment about her red blouse. Wrong? Oh chit, that's right... it's Code Blue :oops:
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:04 pm
Had to be. I had McClellan instantly, but considered Meade while the music was going. Did not switch.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

57 R (Chevrolet clue was too ambiguous for me. Couldn't pull out Jessica Lange. Not a chance on the Lord of the Rings question.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Zloty, Zither, Adidas, (Keto/Quito), 300, *Flying Jib*, Censer, Code Blue, The Age of Innocence, (Defibrillator)

Terribly misplaced clue at Phrasing $1600.
Douglas Squasoni
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

seaborgium wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:42 pm I almost said Jackson for FJ too, but I remembered he was Confederate and hastily switched to Grant for lack of a better idea. For me it wasn't because of his nickname, but because I changed his missing arm to a missing leg; I assumed he'd be quite used to sitting down as a result.
Jackson's arm was missing only for the last week of his life, after being shot by his own men at Chancellorsville. "He has lost his left arm, but I have lost my right", said Lee, reportedly.

John Bell Hood did take charge of the Army of Tennessee some time after losing a leg at Chickamauga. He'd already lost the use of an arm at Gettysburg. But he is unlikely to come up in FJ.
I'm smart and I want respect.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Maybe the extra time for the DD was edited out to make room for the chatter at the end.

There was a Z category in Jeff Kirby’s first game and it used three of the clues seen in today’s episode.

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=2176
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

econgator wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:33 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:04 pm
Had to be. I had McClellan instantly, but considered Meade while the music was going. Did not switch.
That's what I did. Knew what they were looking for, but came up with Meade.
Philliesfan02
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Philliesfan02 »

Yes, I was thrown off by the code blue clue.

22 right.

14 in J! round, but only 8 in DJ!

I wen 4/5 in Potpourri and 3/5 in Who Made That, but was only shut out in Her Major Movie Debut.

Break a leg should not have been a $1600 clue, it was my only get in the category.

I went with Stonewall Jackson at first, realized it probably wasn't right due to the year, and switched to the correct response.

This is the second time this season that we have had a Sarah with good knowledge.

Lach Trash: Adidas, 300, (defibrillator)
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Pretty good FJ clue but I needed Alex to explain the punch line. I thought it was just an oblique reference to Grant's alcoholic (reputation at least) and went with Grant.

I'm a little surprised that "code blue" has fallen off the radar and "break a leg" really needs to.

I didn't have time to pull defibrillator but was on the way with my own deer in the headlights freeze. For some reason, I distracted myself trying to think of the initials AED. If I had to blurt out something I would have said "Paddles - what are paddles". Too many MASH episodes.

Sarah must be a buzzer queen and has a broad knowledge base. The 21st century TV shows and non-major network programs are just a black hole to me. I didn't care for the extended discussion just because of the lack of decorum with Sharon semi-interrupting Alex's endgame sequence. It would be a nice enhancement if Alex invites brief explanations of wrong answers going forward, but then you have to play favorites and mostly ask the defending champion that happens to win in spite of the wrong answer.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.