"Barbara Lowe" 2nd Episode

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Re: "Barbara Lowe" 2nd Episode

Post by MattKnowles »

talkingaway wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 11:09 pm
triviawayne wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 7:34 pm Wonder how I could get in touch with her, I could give her a Learned League referral...
....or two.
Rumor has it the entire Doppelganger rundle is filled with her aliases.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

triviawayne wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 7:34 pm Wonder how I could get in touch with her, I could give her a Learned League referral...
Just for the record, she wouldn't be eligible, due to LL rule 18.3:
Any person who has received any sanction for dishonest play in any other organized competition (online trivia or otherwise) or has otherwise been demonstrated to have participated unfairly, is not eligible to join the LearnedLeague, and any member in such a scenario will be asked to withdraw from the league. The determination of an organized competition or community to fit the definition for this rule is done at the discretion of the Commissioner, and there is no opportunity for appeal.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

There is a KirbyJ in LL, but he is listed as living in Florida. The one who was on Jeopardy was from California.
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Bamaman wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 5:27 am There is a KirbyJ in LL, but he is listed as living in Florida. The one who was on Jeopardy was from California.
That's Jamey Kirby who was part of the 3-way tie episode. His referral is Scott Weiss. MartinsonA is also a WeissS referral so presumably the 3rd of this game's champions.

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1776
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

talkingaway wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 11:09 pm
....or two.
:lol:

Another time when we could've used a Like button.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

jeff6286 wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 8:58 am
Bamaman wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 5:27 am There is a KirbyJ in LL, but he is listed as living in Florida. The one who was on Jeopardy was from California.
That's Jamey Kirby who was part of the 3-way tie episode. His referral is Scott Weiss. MartinsonA is also a WeissS referral so presumably the 3rd of this game's champions.

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1776

I didn’t really think KirbyJ was Jeff, but thanks for the information. That’s pretty cool, actually.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

seaborgium wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 2:34 pm I feel like Molly Shannon could play her.
...and from 2013, when we got into a discussion of her, Bob78164 revealed he'd been one of her Millionaire PAFs, and included just enough information about her WWTBAM appearance that MarkBarrett was able to ferret out an Angelfire recap with pictures of her:
seaborgium wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:15 pm I'd always pictured Barbara Lowe as an unattractive blonde. She looks like Molly Shannon could play her.
Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

I admit, with the anniversary 35 years later in March 2021, it would be very interesting to hear her side of this, but I have to imagine, even 35 years later, there's a bunch of NDAs and gag orders.
Adam Seth Moss
DoorDasher (since May 7, 2020)
M.A. History, Western Illinois Univ, 2017
B.A. History (minors in PoliSci & PubAdm), Montclair State Univ, 2015
A.A. History & Education, Middlesex County Coll., 2013
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

This is somebody who flat out lied and cheated to appear on the show and eventually got caught. Then threw a hissy and threatened a lawsuit when they didn’t want to pay her what she basically stole from someone else.

So, aside from archive purposes, why are people talking about her? By doing so, you all are giving her what she craves most. Attention. She should be vilified quietly and then forgotten about forever. After all, she took a spot from someone for all we know could have gone on to great things. At the very least she stole 5 days worth of winnings from a deserving contestant.

She should have been imprisoned and then ignored by the Jeopardy community for the rest of her life.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Bob78164 said she told him that she wasn't in the 1986 ToC because her husband died not long before it taped. It sounds like she has her own version of things. Here's her telling of her Millionaire experience, where she stopped taping for a bathroom break while a question was in play.
Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

Golf wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 10:52 pm This is somebody who flat out lied and cheated to appear on the show and eventually got caught. Then threw a hissy and threatened a lawsuit when they didn’t want to pay her what she basically stole from someone else.

So, aside from archive purposes, why are people talking about her? By doing so, you all are giving her what she craves most. Attention. She should be vilified quietly and then forgotten about forever. After all, she took a spot from someone for all we know could have gone on to great things. At the very least she stole 5 days worth of winnings from a deserving contestant.

She should have been imprisoned and then ignored by the Jeopardy community for the rest of her life.
I think there's a couple things.

No one in March 1986 knew this happening behind the scenes. There was no internet and mass media production. While she did disgusting illegal things and cost people money. No one knew that. I think what 35 years has done has mystified the interest in her run because her stupid movement is amazing to us. Many episodes of Jeopardy have been rerun many times. Hers never have. Lionel Goldbart died before his 5th game ever got a rerun. I think we all naturally want to see these episodes out of pure curiosity. The stories are amazing and the fact that only this clip exists in semi-public form makes us more curious. This doesn't happen everyday. The curiosity makes us all inquisitive to see the 5 games again.

If the fact that we're talking about her behaviour 34 years later tells me she already succeeded in her attention. "Barbara Lowe" may not even know this site exists. "Barbara Lowe" hasn't come to any website in the last 34 years about the feat she made. What difference does it make now? She lost in the fact that she didn't get the attention she craved in 1986.
Adam Seth Moss
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

While she broke the rules, I think throwing her in prison is a bit much unless you are referring to her using multiple social security numbers.

I just don’t get as bent out of shape about her as everyone else does. The only J rule she broke was having been on other game shows, which I think is a stupid rule. She did break decorum by arguing judges’ rulings on the fly but we have no idea if others have ever done it and been edited out.

I would love to see her games just to see what the big fuss is all about. And I still think there have been others on more than once without the show’s knowledge. A person who changes their name and appearance could slip though easily. A guy was on recently who looked a lot like Brad Rutter. If Rutter had lost his first game do you think anyone would claim that person we just saw was really Rutter appearing under a new identity?

Lowe is probably unknown outside of this board and other game show fanatics. We even had a regular poster just admit to not knowing her. I wouldn’t know about her if I didn’t hang out here. She even got on WWTBAM despite her history. I think she just wanted money back then more than attention. For all we know, she might even be reading this right now.
gameshowfandanny

Post by gameshowfandanny »

Bamaman wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 8:41 am While she broke the rules, I think throwing her in prison is a bit much unless you are referring to her using multiple social security numbers.

I just don’t get as bent out of shape about her as everyone else does. The only J rule she broke was having been on other game shows, which I think is a stupid rule. She did break decorum by arguing judges’ rulings on the fly but we have no idea if others have ever done it and been edited out.

I would love to see her games just to see what the big fuss is all about. And I still think there have been others on more than once without the show’s knowledge. A person who changes their name and appearance could slip though easily. A guy was on recently who looked a lot like Brad Rutter. If Rutter had lost his first game do you think anyone would claim that person we just saw was really Rutter appearing under a new identity?

Lowe is probably unknown outside of this board and other game show fanatics. We even had a regular poster just admit to not knowing her. I wouldn’t know about her if I didn’t hang out here. She even got on WWTBAM despite her history. I think she just wanted money back then more than attention. For all we know, she might even be reading this right now.
Is Gary Patent from April 21 and 22 who you're referring to? I also thought he looked like Rutter, but I highly doubt he would reappear ineligibly, plus if he did, the staff would likely recognize him.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Yes. No, Rutter isn’t going to show up at an audition. I was just giving an example of how if Rutter had been a one and done, he could apply under another name and no one would notice.
gameshowfandanny

Bamaman wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 10:08 am Yes. No, Rutter isn’t going to show up at an audition. I was just giving an example of how if Rutter had been a one and done, he could apply under another name and no one would notice.
Yeah, I know. No one is known to lose their first game and then get on again under a different name, as Jeff Kirby still went by his name.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Bamaman wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 8:41 amShe did break decorum by arguing judges’ rulings on the fly but we have no idea if others have ever done it and been edited out.
When I was on Wheel, a contestant two episodes before mine argued with the judges. They edited it out.

Karma got her in the end, as she managed to get to the bonus round and still tank her puzzle with only a couple letters missing.
gameshowfandanny

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 10:22 am
Bamaman wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 8:41 amShe did break decorum by arguing judges’ rulings on the fly but we have no idea if others have ever done it and been edited out.
When I was on Wheel, a contestant two episodes before mine argued with the judges. They edited it out.

Karma got her in the end, as she managed to get to the bonus round and still tank her puzzle with only a couple letters missing.
I know what you're referring to. In the Crossword Puzzle, LUAUS LAVA MACADAMIAS LEIS, someone said MACADAMIANS and mispronounced LEIS. Then another contestant said MACADAMIA instead of MACADAMIAS. I remember you posting on the recap thread on Buy a Vowel that a contestant yelled, "But I got it in."
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Roadgeek Adam wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 6:10 pm
gameshowfandanny wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 5:33 pm I just saw a picture in the recap thread that Roadgeek Adam linked to showing that "Barbara Lowe" appeared on Who Wants to Be a Millionaire? as Barbara Vollick.
And well, there's this on Twitter. Guess who she supported then.
I found her on Facebook. Her profile picture is of her and a a younger man. (Her son?). I can’t see anything she has posted since 2017. But she seems to be very interested in animal rights, the Catholic Church, and Trump. She doesn’t appear to “like” or “follow” Jeopardy.
Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

Bamaman wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 12:07 pm
gameshowfandanny wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 5:33 pm I just saw a picture in the recap thread that Roadgeek Adam linked to showing that "Barbara Lowe" appeared on Who Wants to Be a Millionaire? as Barbara Vollick.
I found her on Facebook. Her profile picture is of her and a a younger man. (Her son?). I can’t see anything she has posted since 2017. But she seems to be very interested in animal rights, the Catholic Church, and Trump. She doesn’t appear to “like” or “follow” Jeopardy.
Keep in mind, public may not guarantee you'll see posts from later than 2017.

As for the discussion of crimes committed, technically faking SSN and names is fraud, which is illegal. She's really lucky she wasn't prosecuted.
Adam Seth Moss
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Roadgeek Adam wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 1:08 pm
Bamaman wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 12:07 pm
Keep in mind, public may not guarantee you'll see posts from later than 2017.

As for the discussion of crimes committed, technically faking SSN and names is fraud, which is illegal. She's really lucky she wasn't prosecuted.
I agree she should have faced charges for social security fraud and she may well have. I just don’t think lying to get on a game show should be a criminal act.